Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

PBEM efficiency .......

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> Opponents Wanted >> PBEM efficiency ....... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
PBEM efficiency ....... - 7/27/2005 12:24:20 AM   
nukkxx5058

Hi,
I really think that trying a pbem with 8 (or 5 or 6 or...) players from California or Cornouaille is NOT a good solution !!!

yep, when we reach a certain number of players, the time plays against us. As a result we need to involve players from other time zones to PLAY WHEN WE SLEEP !!!!

This was just a message to response to the "only UK (or US)players wanted" syndrome !

Never ask for a single time zone ! but always optimize turns and check that time zones match the actual games turns !

no ? :-)
Post #: 1
RE: PBEM efficiency ....... - 7/27/2005 10:32:54 AM   
ian77

You know it makes sense!

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 2
RE: PBEM efficiency ....... - 7/27/2005 1:03:03 PM   
nukkxx5058

yes, I will become consultant ($$$) in PBEM organization LOL

(in reply to ian77)
Post #: 3
RE: PBEM efficiency ....... - 8/8/2005 6:25:17 PM   
mac85

This is definitely true. The UK only four player game is currently progressing at the same speed as my 8 player world-wide game. I'm not in any great hurry though!

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 4
RE: PBEM efficiency ....... - 8/8/2005 6:41:23 PM   
MarcelJV

The all North American games can work. If you have 8 players and 2 in each time zone (EDT, CDT, MDT, PDT) then you can do a turn a day. The key is to have the order of play follow the east to west movement of the sun. This will speed up the game greatly. You can start in any time zone, but after France is decide the rest need to go in a east to west flow.

Example.

Country-----Time Zone
France-----MDT
Britian-----MDT or PDT
Sweden-----PDT
Prussia-----PDT or EDT
Austria-----EDT
Russia-----EDT or CDT
Turkey-----CDT
Spain-----CDT or MDT

Even with this in place I would expect no more than 1 day a turn, but most likely 1 turn every 2 days. In my current 8 player game we get about 1 turn a week, maybe 2 if we are lucky.

The assumption with this is that each player could play their turn after working hours and pass the turn on to the next player, this way in about 4 -5 hours everyone will have played the turn.

It would be better if you can find 8 players in the same time zone to play TCP/IP then PBEM. That way you get to fight detailed combat against each other.

< Message edited by MarcelJV -- 8/8/2005 6:45:16 PM >

(in reply to mac85)
Post #: 5
RE: PBEM efficiency ....... - 8/8/2005 9:51:21 PM   
TheRockSal

I can't imagine playing detailed combat in an online game with a bunch of people....that woud take forever waiting for the combats to play out....ich......I mean the whole point of TCP/IP is for FAST games, not ones with all sorts of detailed combat showing the games down....that's just me tho.

< Message edited by TheRockSal -- 8/8/2005 9:54:11 PM >

(in reply to MarcelJV)
Post #: 6
RE: PBEM efficiency ....... - 8/9/2005 3:14:06 PM   
MarcelJV

Actually it is cool to watch what other players do in a detailed combat, gives you good intel on how they will use their army. If you are using something like Skype to talk on line at the same time then watching the battle is not boring at all. Battles move faster then you think. So does the time when you are playing on line.

Don't knock it till you try it.

(in reply to TheRockSal)
Post #: 7
RE: PBEM efficiency ....... - 8/9/2005 5:47:47 PM   
ian77

Cant say I fancy being Sweden and waiting while France Russia and Austria fight an hour or more every turn.....

(in reply to MarcelJV)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> Opponents Wanted >> PBEM efficiency ....... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI