Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT:Lance "Freakin" Armstrong

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> OT:Lance "Freakin" Armstrong Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT:Lance "Freakin" Armstrong - 7/24/2005 7:20:43 PM   
captskillet

.........that guy is incredible............ to overcome what he has and do what he has done & on top of it he's a Texan !!!!

PS............and he aint doin too bad in the girlfirnd dept either !

"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

Post #: 1
RE: OT:Lance "Freakin" Armstrong - 7/24/2005 7:53:42 PM   
usersatch

Let's hear it for EPO!!!!

(in reply to captskillet)
Post #: 2
RE: OT:Lance "Freakin" Armstrong - 7/24/2005 9:01:33 PM   
kcflyer

EPO ? Lance has been tested more than any rider and never had a postive test. How about hard training and a lot of desire is why he is a winner !

(in reply to usersatch)
Post #: 3
RE: OT:Lance "Freakin" Armstrong - 7/24/2005 9:54:46 PM   
Terminus

Yeah, I hardly think there's any doubt about that.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to kcflyer)
Post #: 4
RE: OT:Lance "Freakin" Armstrong - 7/24/2005 11:03:18 PM   
testarossa

Isn't he Canadian? like all other exeptional Americans?

Dr. Miller: I should've called the marines!
Dalton: They're few, they're proud... And they ain't here!!!

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 5
RE: OT:Lance "Freakin" Armstrong - 7/24/2005 11:39:57 PM   
Terminus

Nope! Like Skillet said, he's from Texas.

(in reply to testarossa)
Post #: 6
RE: OT:Lance "Freakin" Armstrong - 7/25/2005 12:32:22 AM   
testarossa

I know. just buggin you all.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 7
RE: OT:Lance "Freakin" Armstrong - 7/25/2005 2:32:02 AM   
bradfordkay

In one respect, I will say let's hear it for EPO. Lance did use it when undergoing chemotheray (almost all chemotherapy patients use it) because the chemotherapy itself reduces the red blood cell count. EPO is used by these patients to maintain some semblance of normal blood, and allowed him to continue to ride his bike while between sessions. Of course, he quit using it as soon as the chemotherapy ended, as all the doping tests have shown.

All the people crying that he is "Dopestrong" are just childish supporters of his rivals, unable to accept the fact that their heroes cannot beat this man from the US.

He is a freak of nature, having been shown to have the largest heart and lung capacity of any athlete ever tested (next was Big Mig, Miguel Indurain - the last man to win five Tours de France and the first one to win five in a row). Cyclists in America are all indebted to Lance, as his celebracy has gained us some improvement in being accepted out on the roads while we ride (even though he still has troubles with rednecks trying to run him off the roads near his home in Austin, Texas - can you believe it?).

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to testarossa)
Post #: 8
RE: OT:Lance "Freakin" Armstrong - 7/25/2005 5:36:14 AM   
testarossa

All professionals use "vitamins" and “special” drugs to help with enormous amount of stress and physical pressure. If they get caught or not depends on the amount of money they spend to conceal this.

Look at the female heavy lifters; in dark alley i would think they are invading party of Vikings.

Remember Ben Johnson (famous canadian sprinter)? The difference between his result and results of other runners was the fraction of the second. He used doping, and other guys achieved almost the same result just pushing harder?

In English football the use of endorphins is widespread, American football - steroids are used profoundly.

Right now in China there is a special scientific facility employed solely in task of "developing new rehabilitation drugs" for sportsmen. In fact they study how "vitamins" behave in the body in conjunction with body biorhythms and other drugs, foods, drinks. Purpose? To fool the tests.

East Germany was an inventor of urine test substitute (special pump sucks out urine from the human body, and then they pump in "clean" urine). After that sportsman goes and deposits urine sample to laboratory by "natural" means. Worked in 1970-1980s flawlessly.

Amount of money in today’s sport and high prestige for participating nations made these people something else, but sportsmen. We don't call them professionals for no reason, right?

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 9
RE: OT:Lance "Freakin" Armstrong - 7/25/2005 5:59:58 AM   
2gaulle

never seen a more annoying tour de France

(in reply to testarossa)
Post #: 10
RE: OT:Lance "Freakin" Armstrong - 7/25/2005 6:08:04 AM   
diesel7013

The French Surrender Monkies must just love an American, much less a TEXAN, winning their race for the last 7 years...

Just LUV it!!

We few, We happy few, We band of brothers

(in reply to 2gaulle)
Post #: 11
RE: OT:Lance "Freakin" Armstrong - 7/25/2005 12:23:21 PM   
sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: diesel7013
The French Surrender Monkies must just love an American, much less a TEXAN, winning their race for the last 7 years...

In fact they did - going by the cheers that is - a real cyclism sportsfan reacts a bit like when you watch a baseball/basketball game between 2 teams that are not your favourite team : you applaud good play/moves/tactics by both sides.

Too bad Lance Armstrong never showed himself in the Classics, in 20 years time he'll be remembered as "Great", but not as a "Legend". Cyclism is a bit more than just 3 weeks in july in France.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to diesel7013)
Post #: 12
RE: OT:Lance "Freakin" Armstrong - 7/25/2005 1:16:26 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

Too bad Lance Armstrong never showed himself in the Classics, in 20 years time he'll be remembered as "Great", but not as a "Legend". Cyclism is a bit more than just 3 weeks in july in France.

Absolutely true. Not like an Eddie Merckx for example.

Armstron was dominating the Tour de France for seven times now. But aside from that you havn´t seen much of him in other classic races. I´m glad he retires now, well earned for him and finally it makes the Tour more interesting now.

My money is on Basso next year (maybe Rasmussen). Jan will be 2nd. And I hope I´ll see Zable again one more time. Shame on Team Telekom to leave him home. I hope he joins CSC now.

< Message edited by Marc Schwanebeck -- 7/25/2005 1:21:12 PM >

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 13
RE: OT:Lance "Freakin" Armstrong - 7/25/2005 2:37:14 PM   
RBWhite

(in reply to 2gaulle)
Post #: 14
RE: OT:Lance "Freakin" Armstrong - 7/25/2005 3:15:43 PM   
sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marc Schwanebeck
My money is on Basso next year (maybe Rasmussen). Jan will be 2nd. And I hope I´ll see Zable again one more time. Shame on Team Telekom to leave him home. I hope he joins CSC now.

Hi Marc,

[didn't know you were into cycling :)]

Ulrich is always too late getting into shape - but at least he tried to attack Armstrong this year - scored some good points there.

Next year's race is going to be a lot better with more contenders - it'll be an open battle, but my money is on Basso too - with Armstrong gone, Ulrich will think it'll be a piece of cake and train to little.

Zabel is getting a bit too old for the sprints - my money is on Tom Boonen :)

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 15
RE: OT:Lance "Freakin" Armstrong - 7/25/2005 4:19:26 PM   
rtrapasso

OK - i am curious: did Armstrong ever win a stage in this TdF?

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 16
RE: OT:Lance "Freakin" Armstrong - 7/25/2005 5:08:09 PM   
sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso
OK - i am curious: did Armstrong ever win a stage in this TdF?

Yes - the individual race against the clock last saturday

http://www.letour.fr/2005/TDF/LIVE/us/2000/index.html

And collectively - the team race against the clock somewhere at the very start of the tour.

There's no doubt that the best man has won, it's just a shame he never bothered with the classics - just one or two classic wins would have ensured his place with the all-time greats. To be the best only 3 weeks in the whole year doesn't suffice for that.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 17
RE: OT:Lance "Freakin" Armstrong - 7/25/2005 6:59:20 PM   
usersatch

Exactly!!! it is a commonly accepted idea that to compete professionally you have to be doping. To compete and win and you have to be doping and work hard and genetically gifted. No doubt Lance is all of these. The whole hypocrisy things annoys me...I could care less if you dope, just admit it and dont get on others for doing it.

quote:

ORIGINAL: testarossa

All professionals use "vitamins" and “special” drugs to help with enormous amount of stress and physical pressure. If they get caught or not depends on the amount of money they spend to conceal this.

Look at the female heavy lifters; in dark alley i would think they are invading party of Vikings.

Remember Ben Johnson (famous canadian sprinter)? The difference between his result and results of other runners was the fraction of the second. He used doping, and other guys achieved almost the same result just pushing harder?

In English football the use of endorphins is widespread, American football - steroids are used profoundly.

Right now in China there is a special scientific facility employed solely in task of "developing new rehabilitation drugs" for sportsmen. In fact they study how "vitamins" behave in the body in conjunction with body biorhythms and other drugs, foods, drinks. Purpose? To fool the tests.

East Germany was an inventor of urine test substitute (special pump sucks out urine from the human body, and then they pump in "clean" urine). After that sportsman goes and deposits urine sample to laboratory by "natural" means. Worked in 1970-1980s flawlessly.

Amount of money in today’s sport and high prestige for participating nations made these people something else, but sportsmen. We don't call them professionals for no reason, right?

(in reply to testarossa)
Post #: 18
RE: OT:Lance "Freakin" Armstrong - 7/25/2005 9:12:24 PM   
kcflyer

So you claim Lance is a doper and is the only reason why he won seven in a row. Was Indirain a doper ? He won five in a row. Answer is no. Both of those men were tested more than any other riders and neither had a postive test. Its funny when Indirain who was a great rider was crushing every one, doping was hardley mentioned. Maybe cause he was from Spain and Lance is from the U.S.A. Its clear most Europeans do not like Lance and could not wait for him to retire so they could reclaim top spot in "their" sport.

Lance was tested more than any other rider in the past seven years during the tour and in the off season on suprise tests. Never did he test positive. Several riders tested postive during this tour. You will get caught if you dope sooner or later. I would say seven years of tests shows that Lance is not a doper. But I am an American and not a frenchy crying over ther lost victories !

(in reply to usersatch)
Post #: 19
RE: OT:Lance "Freakin" Armstrong - 7/25/2005 10:07:50 PM   
RBWhite

I would think that after Lances life or death bout with cancer, about the only chemical substance in his system would be oral chemo cancer preventitive meds.

I don't really don't think he would be that stupid today, now. Although not too say that years back he may have taken something to increase his chances of devloping cancer.

LIVESTRONG

Rick White

(in reply to usersatch)
Post #: 20
RE: OT:Lance "Freakin" Armstrong - 7/26/2005 7:46:18 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marc Schwanebeck

Hi Marc,

[didn't know you were into cycling :)]

Ulrich is always too late getting into shape - but at least he tried to attack Armstrong this year - scored some good points there.

Next year's race is going to be a lot better with more contenders - it'll be an open battle, but my money is on Basso too - with Armstrong gone, Ulrich will think it'll be a piece of cake and train to little.

Zabel is getting a bit too old for the sprints - my money is on Tom Boonen :)

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Sure thing I am , I did put a small TV next to my monitors to watch the whole stuff while working. I´m a big Tour fan and also watch some of the classics if they show them live on TV. this year the final of the Deutschland Tour will be (of course) in Bonn and on top of that on my birthday. So I´ll be there too. We plan to visit some of the stages of the Tour next year.

I activly mountainbike since years. I´ll buy a race bike too sooner or later. But first I need to get back in shape.

Actually Ulrich was not too late this year but had a lot of bad luck too. First the team car crash where he went through the back window of the team support car (he was REALLY lucky there) and then his crash at the Tour. But nontheless Armstrong was a tad too good this time again, although not os good as last time

Zabal / Boonen, yep one of them if Zabel rides again next year. He maybe too old, but he also has a whole lot of experience.

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 21
RE: OT:Lance "Freakin" Armstrong - 7/26/2005 7:47:02 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: kcflyer
Its clear most Europeans do not like Lance and could not wait for him to retire so they could reclaim top spot in "their" sport.

But I am an American and not a frenchy crying over ther lost victories !

(in reply to kcflyer)
Post #: 22
RE: OT:Lance "Freakin" Armstrong - 7/26/2005 9:54:10 PM   
kcflyer

Heh, hey Marc how will Germany fare next year in the world cup ? I hope they play better on D than they did in the Confed cup. I would love to see Germany or England win it all. Not much hope on the US, even ranked 6th they are still to weak in international play to get past the second round.

Post #: 23
RE: OT:Lance "Freakin" Armstrong - 7/26/2005 10:24:55 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: kcflyer

Heh, hey Marc how will Germany fare next year in the world cup ? I hope they play better on D than they did in the Confed cup. I would love to see Germany or England win it all. Not much hope on the US, even ranked 6th they are still to weak in international play to get past the second round.

We will win of course. The D is shaping it they improved 200% during the Confed Cup allready. It´s a very young team and they´re hungry. Lukas Podolski will also be top scorer of the championships next year .

quote:

Not much hope on the US

"Soccer", I prefer the term football of course, is still not popular enough over there. But once that sport is popular enough I´m sure we will see a US team that will compete seriously with the European and Sout American teams, after all you guys have a major pool of humans to draw talents from

(in reply to kcflyer)
Post #: 24
RE: OT:Lance "Freakin" Armstrong - 7/28/2005 8:31:18 PM   
Beery

Lance Armstrong is clearly a great athlete. I must admit I am a bit Lance-Armstronged-out though. I mean even before this latest Tour de France he was on about every other TV commercial for something or other. I mean, enough already. I know the guy probably has a lot of medical payments to make for the cancer treatment, but could he please get a job that doesn't involve him being on TV all the time?

Anyone who claims that something they spend a large proportion of their spare time doing is 'just a game' is missing the whole point.
"None so blind as those that will not see."
- Matthew Henry (1662 - 1714)

Post #: 25
RE: OT:Lance "Freakin" Armstrong - 7/28/2005 8:33:34 PM   
Terminus

He'll probably get a job as a spokesman for seven or eight charities that'll mean he's going to be on TV ALL THE TIME!

(in reply to Beery)
Post #: 26
RE: OT:Lance "Freakin" Armstrong - 7/29/2005 6:51:28 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

He'll probably get a job as a spokesman for seven or eight charities that'll mean he's going to be on TV ALL THE TIME!

Or even worse, he´ll sing duett with his girlfriend Sheryl Crow

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> OT:Lance "Freakin" Armstrong Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI