Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: 1.40 OOB Issues

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Scenario Design >> RE: 1.40 OOB Issues Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 1.40 OOB Issues - 4/26/2005 8:59:48 PM   
Iron Duke

Hi

Found this , again point towards 5th Ind Div arriving Bombay mid 43 from Iraq were it had been training with 7th Arm Bde

http://www.ku.edu/carrie/specoll/AFS/library/Ball/fire11.html

"Bombers outpacing fighters - you've got to bloody well laugh!" Australian Buffalo pilot - Singapore

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 181
RE: 1.40 OOB Issues - 4/27/2005 11:37:29 AM   
Kereguelen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iron Duke

Hi

Found this , again point towards 5th Ind Div arriving Bombay mid 43 from Iraq were it had been training with 7th Arm Bde

http://www.ku.edu/carrie/specoll/AFS/library/Ball/fire11.html

Just to confirm your conclusions:

1) According to Kemton ("Loyalty & Honour") the 5th Ind Div "started to arrive at Bombay from early June 1943" and trained with 7th Armoured Bde (as a Mixed Division) in Iraq.

2) According to various sources, the 5th Ind Div was present at Marsa Matruh in June/July 1942 (taking heavy casualties and because of the casualties was not present at El Alamein later in the same year).

3) However, the 123rd Brigade (former 23rd Bde) was present at Imphal in May 1942 under command of 23rd Ind Div. This brigade joined 5th Ind Div upon arrival in India in 1943 (the division lacked one infantry brigade then because it was scheduled to become a Mixed Division, see above) . I think this lead to confusing statements about the presence of 5th Ind Div in 1942 because the 123rd Bde remained with the division afterwards.

(in reply to Iron Duke)
Post #: 182
RE: 1.40 OOB Issues - 4/27/2005 6:42:49 PM   
Kereguelen

Hi,

some thoughts about the Indian Army and proposals for a new Indian OOB:

The main problem with India in the game seems to be that only the units that fought in Burma and/or were stationed on Ceylon are included and do mostly arrive at the time they were send to the Burma theatre or when they arrived on Ceylon. This makes it quite easy for any Japanese player to actually invade India. While this still should be a possibility, actually this would have been much harder in history because there were many more units in India which are currently not included in the game. Currently it is even nearly impossible for the Allied player to send the units that historically went to Malaya (18th British Division, 44th and 45th Indian Brigades), to Singapore because this would leave India nearly undefended even against small Japanese raids.

Another problem with the Indian OOB is that the composition of the Indian Divisions changed alot during the course of the war because generally British and Indian brigades and divisions had no “organic” combat troops (battalions were not permanently attached to a certain brigade, brigades not to a certain division and so on) as most other nations. This leads to much confusion. I think the best solution would be to delete most of the Indian divisions we currently have in the game and instead make their brigades and artillery regiments available in the game (there were never enough Field Regiments available for all divisions that fought in Burma). By doing this we would have a more historic Indian OOB, give the Allied player some more choices at the start of the game and still have the possibilty of a Japanese attack on India in the game.

However, it would be neccessary to alter the OOB of the Indian brigades somewhat (by deleting the 12 18pdr howitzer batteries that historically did not exist in Indian and British brigades). A more correct OOB for Indian Brigades would be: 108 Indian Rifle Squads (3 Rifle Battalions), 9 Indian Eng. Squads, 9 Engineer Squads, 18 3inch Mortars, 18 2pdr ATG, 9 Eng. Squads 133(?) Supply Squads (Engineer companies were not organic to brigades, but there were plenty of Indian engineers available). The Indian divisions that should be kept should have 2 Field Regiments (with 48 18pdr/25pdr howitzers) and either 1 LAA/AT Regiment (with 24 2pdr/6pdr, 18 20mm and 18 40mm AA guns) or 1 AT Regiment (with 48 2pdr/6pdr) included in their structure). Division with LAA/AT would have: 324 Indian Rifle Squads, 27 Indian Engineer Squads, 27 Engineer Squads, 54 3inch Mortars, 78 2pdr ATG, 18 20mm AA, 18 40mm AA and lots of Supply Squads (I have not included the Divisional HQ Defense Bn. that was included in most Indian divisions but not existing in most British divisions and because 40mm Bofors AA guns were scarce in the Far East, maybe the AA component of the division should have only 20mm AA instead of the 40mm).

There were 11 Frontier Brigades (each with at least 3 battalions) guarding the NW frontier, but these should not be included because in the game there is nothing for them to guard.

Indian Infantry Divisions:

Completely delete 3rd, 14th, 17th, 26th and 44th Indian Divisions from the OOB. Keep 5th, 7th, 19th, 20th and 25th Indian Divisions. Now we have:

5th Indian Division (arriving 15th June 1943) with 9th, 123rd and 161st Indian Brigades, 4th and 28th Field Regiments, 56th LAA/AT Rgt incorporated.

7th Indian Division (arriving 15th October 1942) with 33rd, 89th, 114th Indian Brigades, 136th and 139th Field Regiments RA, 24th LAA/AT Regiment incorporated.

19th Indian Division (arriving 15th March 1942) with 62nd, 64th and 98th Indian Brigades, 115th and 134th Field Regiments, 69th LAA/AT Regiment (amalgameted with 33rd LAA/AT Regiment) incorporated.

20th Indian Division (arriving 15th June 1942) with 32nd, 80th, 100th Indian Brigades, 9th and 114th Field Regiments, 55th LAA/AT Regiment (amalgameted with 111th AT Regiment) incorporated. Because 51st and 53rd Indian Brigades moved to 25th Indian Division this structure seems appropiate when 25th Division is included.

25th Indian Division (arriving 15th August 1942) with 51st, 53rd, 74th Indian Brigades, 8th and 27th Field Regiments, 7th Indian AT Regiment incorporated.

Indian Infantry Brigades:

7th December 1941:

In Malaya:

6th, 8th, 12th, 15th, 22nd, 28th Indian Brigades as in the game.

In Burma:

13th and 16th Indian Brigades as in the game.

In India:

36th and 37th Brigades at Chandpur (parts of deleted 14th Indian Division)
44th Brigade at Diamond Harbour
45th Brigade at Calcutta
46th Brigade at Dacca (part of deleted 17th Indian Division)
47th, 48th, 49th Brigades at Hyderabad (parts of deleted 19th Indian Division)
99th Brigade at Jhansi (?); moved to Trincomalee in January 1942

Reinforcements:

1st Indian Brigade 1st May 1942 (from frontier duty at Rawalpindi)
4th Indian Brigade 1st April 1942 (from frontier duty in Waziristan)
23rd Indian Brigade/111th Indian Brigade 15th March 1942 (23rd was later renamed 123rd Brigade and became part of 25th Division, 109th Brigade a short-lived formation with only two battalions that fought in Arakan for some time)
26th Indian Brigade 15th July 1944 (arrived from Iraq)
55th Indian Brigade 15th September 1942 (arrived after fighting vs. the Fakir of Ipi, formed earlier)
63rd Indian Brigade 15th January 1942 (at Delhi; formed December 1941)
71st Indian Brigade 1st March 1942 (formed from existing battalions at Calcutta)
77th Indian Chindit Brigade 1st January 1943 (actually formed in June 1942, but not ready before)
111th Indian Chindit Brigade 1st July 1943 (actually formed 30th March 1943, but not ready before)
268th Indian Brigade 1st October 1942 (formed under 43rd Indian Armoured Division)
50th Indian Para Brigade 1st February 1944 (actually formed much earlier but trained a long time and was used for internal security at Delhi)

Existing garrisons 7th December 1941 (not complety and not including frontier garrisons and battalions that were used to guard POW camps). Generally these locations retained garrisons during the war (even if the garrison battalions changed). 25th and 26th Battalions of the regiments were always “garrison” battalions.

Bombay: 2 Battalions (26th/4th Bombay Grenadiers and 25th/10th Baluch Regiment)
Karachi: 3 Battalions (15th/10th Baluch Regiment, 16th/14th Punjab Regiment, 4th/7th Gurkha Rifles)
Madras: 3 Battalions (18th/5th Mahratta Lt. Infantry, 25th/9th Jat Regiment, 25th/12th Frontier Force Rifles)
Dacca: 1 Battalion (25th/18th Royal Garwhal Rifles)
Bangalore: 1 Battalion (9th/9th Jat Regiment)

Field Regiments (Royal Artillery):

This are regiments that were (at some times) included in the deleted divisions. All remained in India until 1946.

On 7th December 1941 5th, 88th, 122nd 137th and 155th Field Regiments were in Malaya.

51st arrived February 1942 on Ceylon together with 16th British Brigade.
60th arrived March 1942 on Ceylon or at Karachi with the remainder of 70th British Division.
130th arrived May 1942 at Karachi (was included in deleted 14th Indian Division)
158th arrived May 1942 from frontier duty at Nowshera
160th arrived March 1942 from Quetta, may be made available 7th December 1941?
162nd formed April 1942 from existing batteries on Ceylon
18th arrived November 1942 at Karachi (with 43rd Indian Armoured Division)
9th arrived 15th January 1943 from Madagascar
123rd arrived August 1942 at Karachi (with 32nd Indian Armoured Division)
129th arrived August 1942 at Karachi (was included in deleted 14th Indian Division)
178th arrived June 1943 at Karachi, should be available from August 1943 as an Assault Field Regiment with SP-Artillery.

Medium Regiments (RA):

1st arrived July 1942 at Karachi
6th at Campbellpore 7th December 1941
8th arrived Karachi May 1943 from frontier duty

Anti-Tank Regiments (RA):

80th and 85th were in Malaya on 7th December 1941.

82nd arrived 1st January 1942 for 23rd Division
100th arrived March 1942 with 2nd British Division

(in reply to Kereguelen)
Post #: 183
RE: 1.40 OOB Issues - 4/28/2005 8:00:01 PM   
Tankerace

Not sure why this was never fixed, but even still in the 1.5 OOB all Balao and Tench class subs (sans Balao herself) are listed as Gatos. There is a Balao class, but all are listed as Gatos. Why?

Designer of War Plan Orange
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med

Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.

(in reply to Kereguelen)
Post #: 184
RE: 1.40 OOB Issues - 4/28/2005 8:04:31 PM   
Tankerace

Sorry, Billfish is also listed as a Balao. All the rest are listed as Gato class.

Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.

(in reply to Tankerace)
Post #: 185
RE: 1.40 OOB Issues - 4/28/2005 8:23:52 PM   
Tankerace

I reported it... back with v1.1, but Hobart is still listed as a Leander class CL. She is actually a Hobart class.

(in reply to Tankerace)
Post #: 186
RE: 1.40 OOB Issues - 5/4/2005 10:27:58 PM   
Kereguelen

Continuing with my proposal for a reviewed Indian OOB:

While I complained alot about the Indian OOB in the game, I was positively surprised about the OOB of the Indian armoured forces which seems to be largely correct:

In the game we have 254th and 255th Indian Armoured Brigade and 3rd [British] Carabineers Rgt. at start. As reinforcements arrive 7th British Armoured Brigade in 1942, 9th [Indian] RDH (Royal Deccan Horse) on 15th Oct 1943 and 25th [British, but formed in India] Dragoons on 15th Dec 1943.

Missing are 50th Indian Tank Brigade (which contained 3 British Tank Rgt, 146th, 149th and 150th RAC) and 251st Indian Armoured Brigade.

50th Tank Brigade was, as it seems, deleted as some kind of proxy for 7th British Armoured Brigade which cannot be withdrawn as it was done historically. Seems absolutely appropiate to me.

251st Armoured Brigade was disbanded in Oct 1943, but its regiments were not. On 7th Dec 1941 it contained 5th Probyn's Horse, 9th RDH, 3rd Carabineers and 14th Scinde Horse. 254th Armoured contained 46th IAC (which was disbanded in Oct. 1942) and 7th Lt. Cav, later it temporarily added 25th Dragoons, the 255th Armoured contained 16th Lt. Cav and 45th Cav, it later temporarily aquired 26th Hussars.

I think that the game has it completely right to delete 251st Armoured Brigade from the game as we would likely some kind of "Indian Panzer Blitz" otherwise. Further it seems appropiate not to include combat formations that were disbanded during the war (because there were surely good reasons to disband them historically).

My proposal would be to give both Indian armoured brigades the 3 Rgt TOE and to have 7th Lt. Cav, 5th Probyn's Horse, 14th Scinde Horse, 16th Lt. Cav, 45th Cav and 26th Hussars, 25th Dragoons/46th IAC included in their TOE (thus giving them the same strength as in the game). This would also eliminate 25th Dragoons from the game. 3rd Carabineers would remain as it is.

9th RDH should be available at start as it belonged to 251st Armoured an was available historically.

Missing are 3 Recce Rgts that belonged to the I.A.C.: 11th PAVO (which returned to India in January 1943 but converted to Armoured Car Rgt until 1944), 19th KGVO with was the divisional Recce Rgt of the 31st Armoured Division (which is not included in the game because its brigades are; it was at Karachi on 7th Dec 1941) and 3rd Cavalry (which was in Malaya but had only 30 Marmon-Harrington AC then (the AC's should be included in one of the brigade in Malaya in addition to its TOE, it was not reconstituted during WW2).

The complete proposal for a (only slightly changed) OOB for the Indian Armoured Corps is now:

7th Dec 1941 at Bombay:

254th Armoured Brigade (BG Gill, W.T.), 255th Armoured Brigade (BG Stable, H.H.), 3rd Carabineers, 9th RDH

7th December at Karachi:

19th KGVO (Recce)

15th March 1944 at Bombay (or Karachi):

11th PAVO (Armoured Car)

Delete: 25th Dragoons and include the 30 Marmon-Harrington's of 3rd Cavalry somehow into the Malaya OOB.

(in reply to Kereguelen)
Post #: 187
RE: 1.40 OOB Issues - 5/5/2005 3:05:33 AM   
Kereguelen

Further continuing my proposal for a reviewed Indian OOB

I've proposed earlier to delete some Indian divisions that are currently in the game and instead add some more brigades. Now I'll try to explain why I proposed this (sometimes for the second time, but I want to make it comprehensive). [And I've changed my opinion about the inclusion of some divisions].

Please note that my intention is not to give the Allied player anything that wasn't historically available to the Allies; I see a major problem with current Indian/British arrivals and OOB's in the game because these arrival dates are for the most part the dates when units became available for the Burma Theatre. But some arrival dates are even too early and some units were double counted and should be deleted and I'd like to see this corrected as well (for sake of history and game balance). In some discussions in the forum, people (especially Nikademus) stated that there was major unrest in India in 1942. But when looking at the history of Indian units, there is no trace of their involvement in such internal security measures or actions (there're some exceptions but I'll say something about this in the comments about these units). It seems to be some kind of myth that (the major part of) India was in permanent unrest against British rule after the Japanese attack. The major exception from this are the units stationed at the NW frontier, as there was permanent unrest under the tribes (sounds somewhat familiar considering recent events, would not be surprising if OBL really took refuge there) even before 1939. But I did not include the troops committed there (a sizeable force, always between 45 and 60 battalions) because they were ostensibly needed there and there are no partisan rules (like in China) in the game to represent this.

3rd Indian Division:
This division appears in the game on 15th February 1943 with a full divisional OOB. Historically it was formed 18th September 1943 and served as the HQ for the special forces that served in Burma (the Chindits). Three of the brigades that were under its command (14th Chindit, 16th Chindit and 3rd West African) are already in the game, the other two (77th Indian LRP and 111th Indian LRP) are missing. The division never had any organic artillery or recce regiments and its engineers were attached to its brigades (as we have it currently in the game). Thus it should not be available in the game as a division. Instead it seems better just to include the 77th and 111th Indian Chindits.

5th Indian Division:
We currently have this division arriving 15th May 1942. This cannot be correct, the division fought in North Africa in May 1942 and afterwards went to Iraq to train as a mixed brigade together with 7th British Armoured Brigade for further combat in the MTO. Instead of returning to North Africa it went to India and arrived at Bombay in early June 1943. In the game 5th Division should arrive 15th June 1943 at Bombay as a full division (under command of MG Briggs, H.R.) with good experience.

7th Indian Division:
This division arrives in the game on 15th January 1944. This seems to be a little bit late. The division was formed in 1940 but used as a training formation until July 1942. Afterwards it was brought up to strength and got engineers and artillery in September/October 1942, moving to Chhindwara as a complete division in December 1942. It should appear at Karachi on 1st January 1943 (MG Corbett, T.W. in command).

14th Indian Division:
This division (only at brigade strength) starts on map at Chandpur in the game. Historically it had three brigades (23rd, 36th and 37th) under command at this time but suffered from shortage of weapons and equipment and completely lacked artillery and engineer assets. None of its original brigades stayed with the division longer than early March 1942. It aquired other brigades later and was in Burma from September 1942 to April 1943 and used as a jungle training formation afterwards. Because of the multitude of different brigades it had under its command before converted to a training formation and because it was relatively shortlived as a combat formation, it seems appropiate to me to delete it as a division from the game and instead use its brigades as independent units.

17th Division:
This unit starts at Dacca in Scen. 15 (only brigade strength; 46th Brigade) with both its other brigades (44th and 45th)in the game as well. The brigade was short of artillery and engineers but nevertheless moved to Burma, arriving at Rangoon on 9th January 1942 and taking command over 16th Indian and 2nd Burma Brigades, which are in the game as well. It remained in Burma with various brigades under command. Because of its always changing structure and because it received its first divisional artillery regiment (129th Field Rgt) not before January 1943 it should be deleted and the brigades it had under its command added (the ones that are not already in the game).

19th Division (MG Scoones, G.A.P.):
Maybe the most problematic of the Indian divisions in game terms. The game has arriving it on 15th September 1944, but it was formed October 1941 with 48th, 49th and 47th Brigades under command. 48th was enroute to Basra on 7th December 1941 but was diverted to Burma arriving there in January 1942, the other brigades being not fit for combat then (both had only 2 Battalions and were far from ready for action). 49th Brigade went to 14th Division in January 1942, with 47th Brigade following in April. As substitutes the brigade acquired 62nd, 64th and 98th Brigades between January and March 1942. I think that the division (or rather its HQ) acted as a training formation because it happily remained at Secunderabad (which was a major training centre) after the Japanese attack. But after Japanese air raids in April 1942 it was rushed to Madras in April 1942. However it did not gain its divisional artillery before May. As a compromise I propose to make it available on 15th April 1942 at full strength [including 62nd, 64th and 98th Brigades, 51st and 134th Field Rgt, and 69th AT Rgt].

20th Division (MG Gracey, D.D.)
This division is in the game in Scen. 15 (at Jorhat, brigade strength). Historically it was formed at Bangalore from 15th March 1942 onwards with 32nd, 51st, and 53rd Brigades under command. However, 51st and 53rd Brigades left the division on 31st July 1942 and came under command of 25th Indian Division then. Instead the division received only one brigade, the 80th Indian Brigade. The division served as a garrison on Ceylon until 28th June 1943, but I don’t know when it arrived there (somewhen after 1st April 1942). It received divisional artillery in June 1942. In the game I would propose to “merge” the division with parts of the deleted 34th Division (which also served on Ceylon but should not be in the game) and make the 20th available on 15th June 1942 at Bangalore (full strength).[including 32nd, 80th and 100th Brigades, 114th and 115th Field Rgt, and 55th LAA/AT Rgt]

21st Division:
This formation is not included in the game. It served as some kind of LoC unit without any brigades under command (only shortly 268th Indian Brigade).

23rd Division (MG Savory, R.A.):
In the game we have this division available at Bombay (brigade strength) in Scen. 15. Historically it formed 1st January 1942 at Jhansi. It’s original brigades left the division until March 1942. Contrary to my first post about Indian divisions, I think now that it should be kept in the game. It aquired 37th, 1st and 49th Brigades and 158th Field Regiment until May 1942, and added 28th LAA/AT Rgt 31st July 1942 and kept them for most of the war. It should arrive 15th April 1942 as a complete formation at Calcutta (it was ordered to Assam on 25th April 1942, arrival date is a compromise because the troops under its command existed earlier). [including 1st, 37th and 49th Brigades, 158th and 3rd Indian Field Rgt, and 28th LAA/AT Rgt.]

25th Division (MG Davies, H.L.):
In the game this division appears 15th August 1942 as a reinforcement at Karachi. The date seems appropiate, but it should maybe appear at Bangalore (it was formed there).

26th Division (MG Heywood, T.G.G.)
This division starts at Delhi in Scen. 15. Historically it was raised 20th March 1942 at Calcutta as the “Calcutta Division” with 71st Brigade under command and receiving 109th Brigade on 27th March and 4th Brigade (which arrived from the NW frontier) in April. 71st and 109th Brigades were either formed from existing battalions, 4th Brigade was a pre-war formation. 109th Brigade was a weak formation (mostly having only one battalion) and should be amalgameted (in the game) with 36th Brigade which was doing security duties in West Bengal then and functioned as army reserve from May 1942 onwards (it came under command of the division on 14th April 1943). The division gained its divisional artillery on 6th April 1942. Because of its buildup from existing and trained troops it should arrive at full strength on 15th April 1942 with a relatively good experience level (even if it historically remained at Calcutta until April 1943).

34th Division:
This division was formed from October 1941 and was doing garrison duty at Trincomalee until disbanded in June 1943. It is not in the game and should not be included. It had 98th, 99th and 100th Brigades, 51st Field Rgt (from 26th February 1942) and 3rd Indian AT Rgt (from July 1942) under command. 98th Brigade went to 23rd and then 19th Division in January 1942. In game terms, 100th Brigade should be included in 20th Division (which was on Ceylon too and which it joined later anyway) and 99th Brigade added as independent brigade (it did not leave Ceylon until August 1944). 51st Field Rgt could be incorporated into 19th Division.

36th Division:
In the game this formation does not appear, but its brigades do. It was basically a British formation that commanded 29th British and 26th and 72nd Indian Brigades (both later were redesignated as British brigades later. However, 178th Assault Field Rgt and 130th Field Rgt were under command of the division and should be included.

39th (Light) Division:
Not included in the game, formed by redesignation of 1st Burma Division. Acted as a training unit.

44th Division:
We have this division arriving 15th February 1943 in the game. Historically it was formed between November 1943 and April 1944 as 44th Indian Airborne Division from the HQ of the disbanded 44th Armoured Division (which had been formed in April 1943 as a training unit for tank units). It had only 50th Para Bde under command which is already in the game and should be deleted completely.

Not finished Adding brigades and more when I find the time!

< Message edited by Kereguelen -- 5/6/2005 1:27:34 PM >

(in reply to Kereguelen)
Post #: 188
RE: 1.60 OOB Issues - 8/2/2005 2:21:18 AM   
LTCMTS

1) the .50 watercooled AA MG M2 used a 45in barrel, the AN-M2 aircooled MG for aircraft used a 36" barrel. There is around a 250fps velocity at the barrel drop off. Maximum range at 45 degrees or so is posted as 7,400yds. Maximum effective range against an aerial target probably did not exceed 3,000 yds given the simplex sight rings. The watercooled version also had a higher sustained ROF.
2) The "Erie" class gunboats were designed in the early '30s as a way to get around the Naval Treaties. Navies could build unlimited numbers of gunboats under 2,000 tons. The "erie" was designed at the request of ADM Pratt to provide an armored escort vessel, which could also serve independently as a gunboat or even re-inforce the screen for the battle line. As it was, events overtook the design, and it was adapted as a long range cutter, the "Treasury" class, for the USCG. Like the USS Wasp, this class was designed with an armored belt which was not mounted in peacetime in order to keep displacement under the Treaty limits. And like the "Wasp", the belts were never fitted in wartime.
3) I updated to version 1.60. The database still features some erroneous data, such as heavy turret armor aboard IJN heavy cruisers, which historically did not exceed 25mm (barbettes did not exceed 100mm) and the AA suite for the "New Mexico" class BBs on their deployment into the Pacific. Both written and pictorial evidence exists that they received 4 quad 1.1" and twelve 20mm Oerlikon AA guns, along with SC radar before they left the Atlantic.

(in reply to Iron Duke)
Post #: 189
RE: 1.40 OOB Issues - 11/12/2005 8:12:33 AM   
el cid again

quote:

Finally, the USN needs a withdrawl requirement. Too many USN ships are available to combat Japan. Panama needed defences, yet the very ships which defended the canal are being used by the Allied player in the Solomons, DEI, North Pacific etc...for the entire duration of the war!! Omahas, Clemsons, and smaller escorts like SCs would be required to withdraw randomly between Jan 42 and Jan 44.

I agree. And Allied blocks of reinforcements are way too big. This is ahistorical and a problem for the Allied player in sheer housekeeping terms - not to mention trying to set up a reasonable rotation system. The situation in 1942 was grim - and the OB needs to reflect that better.

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 190
Missing Japanese amphibs and carriers - 11/12/2005 8:18:37 AM   
el cid again

I do not see ships like the Akitsu Maru (in either configuration), several army and auxiliary carriers, or air groups for these. Had the war lasted into 1946, and had Japan not been shut down economically in 1945, it is likely Army carriers would have been operating with fighters (Ki-44) as well as the ASW planes they really used (Ki-76, Ka-1). In any case, the major amphibious ships are very important assets - one dates from the mid-1930s - and they really are the ancestors of LSDs, LHAs, etc. [Instead of docks, they had rails and decks sloping towards stern doors, down which landing craft - or midget subs - could be rolled.]

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 191
Missing submarine weapons and gear - 11/12/2005 8:21:45 AM   
el cid again

I do not see the TAU type midget subs for submarines - or for use from seaplane carriers modified for them.

I do not see Kaiten.

I do not see provision for schnorkels.

I do not see radar on Japanese aircraft or submarines that really had it.

The schnorkel is the only device I think needs actual coding. If you modify torpedoes (24 inch for kaiten, 18 inch for midget subs) you get functional devices.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 192
RE: Missing submarine weapons and gear - 11/12/2005 8:26:53 AM   
Tankerace

You do realize that since 1.4, maybe 1.5 there have been no OOB additions, and that for a while patching is going to stop anyway (as per Mike Wood's post in the public beta forum). That's why the last major post was in May....

Not saying there won't be more OOB stuff (Im not affiliated with WitP), but I'd bet there wont be any for a while.

(in reply to el cid again)
Post #: 193
RE: Missing submarine weapons and gear - 5/23/2006 8:39:15 AM   
JSBoomer

The 6th US Ranger Bn is missing from the game. It was formed at Ft Lewis in Jan 1941 and was the only Ranger Bn to participate in the Pacific campaign. For that matter it was the only Ranger Bn to operate behind the lines as intended.

Jordan S. Bujtas
Deas Gu Cath

(in reply to Tankerace)
Post #: 194
China Command - 1/21/2008 10:48:36 PM   
el cid again

Location 106 China Command (Scenario 15 - probably all scenarios in all mods)

planned in file for location 413 Chunking --

but shows up at game start planned for Honan

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 195
RE: China Command - 1/21/2008 11:08:28 PM   
witpqs

Sid,

Version 1.40 is long defunct.

(in reply to el cid again)
Post #: 196
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Scenario Design >> RE: 1.40 OOB Issues Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI