Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Using Command & Control--Forgetabboudit!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Using Command & Control--Forgetabboudit! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Using Command & Control--Forgetabboudit! - 7/29/2005 12:27:41 AM   
KG Erwin

Turning the C&C feature ON is a waste of time. The idea is commendable, but it just doesn't work in the present iteration of SPWaW.

In SPWaW, the true function of company/battalion commanders is their ability to restore cohesion (in game terms, reduce suppression points). In a game involving battalions, this is what they are meant to do--to keep the troops moving at the vital points.

The personal presence of a higher level commander , in a pinch, can mean the difference between victory or defeat--- with C & C OFF, you have the ability to micromanage, which prevents the stupid AI from taking over your units. I wouldn't have it any other way with this game.

Post #: 1
RE: Using Command & Control--Forgetabboudit! - 7/29/2005 12:48:11 AM   
Terminus

Hear, hear! I experimented for about 8 minutes with C&C back in the old SP2 days; the AI seemed to march my units off in every direction BUT the one I wanted. Since then, I haven't used it at all.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 2
RE: Using Command & Control--Forgetabboudit! - 7/29/2005 1:02:13 AM   
Alby

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 3
RE: Using Command & Control--Forgetabboudit! - 7/29/2005 3:21:18 AM   
VikingNo2

KG I don't play with CC on, I never learned it but several very good players seem to enjoy it and think its very good, maybe it just isn't our cup of tea instead of being broken

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 4
RE: Using Command & Control--Forgetabboudit! - 7/29/2005 5:38:06 AM   
FlashfyreSP

Guys, C&C doesn't give the AI control of your units...that can only happen if you go to the HQ Menu and switch a formation from Human to Computer control.

C&C imposes an "orders" system on your forces. Each leader has a certain number of "orders", and certain actions by a leader expend those orders. One of the most noticable changes is that setting unit objectives becomes crucial; your units will only be allowed to move in the general direction of their objective flag, unless they are designated as Recon units, which lifts the movement restriction and lets them move in any direction. Changing a formation's objective costs orders; so does changing their Stance from Advance to Defend. Stance becomes more important, because units will not seek cover unless they are in Defend stance. The use of Radios is more important, because they allow distant leaders to "lend" orders to subordinates. FOs are more limited, because every artillery request costs orders; shifting fire doesn't, but calling in the follow-on strike does.

C&C makes managing your force more of a challenge; leaders must be in contact with their subordinates, they must have orders available to make changes to their formation's line of advance or operational stance, and some artillery will be available, but there may be noone in contact with enough orders to call in a strike.

In all of this, the AI has no part in how or where your units move or act. I think you guys are confusing this with some other aspect...

(in reply to VikingNo2)
Post #: 5
RE: Using Command & Control--Forgetabboudit! - 7/29/2005 6:35:49 AM   
Procrustes

Huh? What's the point of that post, KG - you trying to stir the pot? Playing with C&C off is like playing in "god mode". SPWAW is a much better game once you learn to use C&C - I would have forgotten about this game a long time ago without it. It has nothing to do with letting the AI take over your troops; it's all about encouraging you to think ahead. If you like the easier game, then you have the option of turning it off.

Best wishes, lots of smileys, etc.,

P.

EDIT - One thing, though - if your scenario was designed without C&C in mind it might not be worth playing with C&C on. I mean, if you start the scenario and no one has stances set, all the units in a platoon are scattered all over the board, etc. etc., it will just be frustrating. Try the MC's for good C&C games - just make sure you are using v8.3 or before, as C&C was broken for the MC's with the latest patch. Or try some of WB's scenarios w/ C&C - afaik he always designs w/ C&C in mind.

< Message edited by Procrustes -- 7/29/2005 6:59:17 AM >

(in reply to FlashfyreSP)
Post #: 6
RE: Using Command & Control--Forgetabboudit! - 7/29/2005 3:56:55 PM   
VikingNo2

Procrustes

Much better game in your opinion

(in reply to Procrustes)
Post #: 7
RE: Using Command & Control--Forgetabboudit! - 7/29/2005 4:16:30 PM   
Puukkoo

I don't practically play with C&C on, because it is only for those who want to make things difficult. If one intends to make warfare look very pessimistic, then should C&C be turned on.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 8
RE: Using Command & Control--Forgetabboudit! - 8/1/2005 2:12:57 AM   
Svennemir

C&C has nothing to do with AI control. While C&C appears frustrating and strange to one who hasn't played a lot with it, it does impose some VERY realistic properties to the game.

Flashfyre explained how C&C works. What it actually means to the gameplay is another question. At any time you'll probably have enough "orders" to move units around as you wish, except in the heat of combat when everyone is suppressed. Then it can be very difficult to control your units with a high level of coordination (retreating simultaneously, for instance), and this really spices up things: As soon as you send a formation into battle, that formation has been used! The units will be scattered and there won't be enough orders to make them behave for a long time. That's why the concept of a reserve is especially important with C&C - anything surprising happens, you're screwed unless you have a reserve of non-suppressed forces. With C&C off you can order most of your troops into battle simultaneously and still retain perfect control of them, so this is a non-issue.

So while the C&C option works rather crudely and has a number of ugly properties, it actually - indirectly - helps the realism and requirement of proper tactics very, very much.

< Message edited by Svennemir -- 8/1/2005 4:28:23 PM >

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 9
RE: Using Command & Control--Forgetabboudit! - 8/1/2005 2:06:42 PM   
RockinHarry

C&C is a great feature dependent upon your play style! For a quicker, more controllable game/unit movement, switch it off. For a more "realistic" and challenging game, switch it on! That´s all actually. As a further note you should know that C&C only applies to human controlled sides! So if you play vs. the AI oftenly and have C&C switched on, only YOU is using it, but not the AIP (..too stupid)! Personally I like C&C on.

Scenario makers should set objective flags and stances for units, even if the scenario is not made for C&C=ON play. The few extra minutes that takes setting the stuff can´t hurt.

From the game manual, page 77:

"At the start of each turn leaders may receive new orders. The number of new orders a leader
receives ranges from 1 to 10. Every leader receives a minimum of one new order per turn. The
number of orders allotted is based on the leader’s command rating and the nationality’s command
rating based on the formula:

(Command Rating + (A Random Number From 0 To 9) -40 + Nationality Command Rating) /10"

Unfortunately "Nationality Command rating" figures are not included in the game manual, but I assume the ones from the SPIII manual (Appendix A, page 81) still apply?

RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

(in reply to Svennemir)
Post #: 10
RE: Using Command & Control--Forgetabboudit! - 8/1/2005 4:41:01 PM   
Procrustes

quote:

ORIGINAL: VikingNo2

Procrustes

Much better game in your opinion

Yes, sorry - but since I made the post I thought that was quite obvious.

(in reply to VikingNo2)
Post #: 11
RE: Using Command & Control--Forgetabboudit! - 8/1/2005 5:37:15 PM   
VikingNo2

Yes, very obvious, I was just trying to be fair to Gunny you can't beat him up because he made a overly bold statement and then make the same statment, all be it the direct oppsite position, thats all. CC On is great for those that like it and know how to play it. Knowing how to play it is the key; It doesn't mean that those of that do not like it are simpletons in any way.

By the way Procustes, we have ateam game starting at the Depot. Its kinda like CC on with out CC on, I need two partners, please stop by a check it out if you have the time

< Message edited by VikingNo2 -- 8/1/2005 5:39:19 PM >

(in reply to Procrustes)
Post #: 12
RE: Using Command & Control--Forgetabboudit! - 8/1/2005 10:12:03 PM   
KG Erwin

Ok, I can understand why some guys like it, and others don't. This is why we have the ability to set the game's preferences to our own comfort level.

I didn't mean to imply that one method of play is superior to another.

My thanks to Flashfyre and others for better explaining how C&C actually works.

Now, there ARE some issues in 8.4 with using C&C for the Megas, but I'm hoping that Michael Wood can address this in a mech.exe patch.

Even in my own preferred method (C&C OFF), the combat team commander still has to occasionally deal with communication issues (artillery being out of contact etc).

(in reply to VikingNo2)
Post #: 13
RE: Using Command & Control--Forgetabboudit! - 8/2/2005 5:47:31 PM   
Procrustes

quote:

ORIGINAL: VikingNo2

Yes, very obvious, I was just trying to be fair to Gunny you can't beat him up because he made a overly bold statement and then make the same statment, all be it the direct oppsite position, thats all. CC On is great for those that like it and know how to play it. Knowing how to play it is the key; It doesn't mean that those of that do not like it are simpletons in any way.

By the way Procustes, we have ateam game starting at the Depot. Its kinda like CC on with out CC on, I need two partners, please stop by a check it out if you have the time

Point well taken. I appolgize to KG and everyone else for being so grumpy about this - I like to think I'm ussually a bit more mellow. (I had a bad month - spent more than 3 weeks traveling and was getting short by the end of it all. Weak excuse, I know....)

Thank you for the invitation to the team game, I'm flattered! I'll have to see if I can make it - but I'm squeezing this note in between meetings and sub-analyses; things are busy now that I'm back in the office and I haven't seen much of my family lately. I'm returning to SPWAW after a bit of a hiatus, I'll start lurking around the Depot, too - I'd like to be more of a participant with this great game.

Best wishes,

Procrustes

(in reply to VikingNo2)
Post #: 14
RE: Using Command & Control--Forgetabboudit! - 8/2/2005 10:11:52 PM   
Nikademus

I like the 'idea' behind CC.....lessening the "god mode" effect of being able to react all units instantly, force some ahead planning and highlight the different abilities of the armies represented but in practice i found the feature too restrictive for me.

It doesn't for example make sense to me that if say, a platoon or pair of tanks suddenly runs into an AT gun or a group of enemy tanks and needs to "duck behind" something or simply reverse course, they cant because they dont have "an order" to expend that allows them to violate their "objective" I've lost many a unit that way...sitting there or having to blindly move forward to it's doom as a result.

Thats why i kind of prefered SP:WWII's approach to CinC by emphasising the suppression element for units that go "out of contact" units there that gain suppression are easy to pin down, and when forced to retreat they stay 'retreated' (but thats a subject for another thread)

Maybe i'm just not educated enough about CC.....might try again someday

(in reply to Procrustes)
Post #: 15
RE: Using Command & Control--Forgetabboudit! - 8/3/2005 12:09:06 AM   
Alby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

I like the 'idea' behind CC.....lessening the "god mode" effect of being able to react all units instantly, force some ahead planning and highlight the different abilities of the armies represented but in practice i found the feature too restrictive for me.

It doesn't for example make sense to me that if say, a platoon or pair of tanks suddenly runs into an AT gun or a group of enemy tanks and needs to "duck behind" something or simply reverse course, they cant because they dont have "an order" to expend that allows them to violate their "objective" I've lost many a unit that way...sitting there or having to blindly move forward to it's doom as a result.

exactly why I dont like C and C

< Message edited by Alby -- 8/3/2005 12:10:28 AM >

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 16
RE: Using Command & Control--Forgetabboudit! - 8/3/2005 7:28:07 AM   
Major Destruction

I learned SPWAW with C&C on. I can see how players who have not learned it will find it difficult. And yes, it takes more time to play a turn with C&C on. Just try playing an online battle with C&C on and 3 minutes per turn. It's an ultimate test but it is possible.

C&C helps me to play more carefully, to use my combined arms and to follow a plan.
It takes more effort to play with C&C on.

If I am playing only recreationally, then I can't be bothered. A long campaign battle against the AI is just for fun.

Against a human opponent, C&C on is the only way to go. Remember if you are having problems then your opponent is too. And if everything is going well you're entering an ambush.

C&C adds to the game.

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 17
RE: Using Command & Control--Forgetabboudit! - 8/3/2005 4:58:23 PM   
Jackk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alby

quote:

exactly why I dont like C and C

Ditto.

I've played more than a few C&C games and I usually enjoy the regimen right up until this happens. No commander in his right mind would expect his unit to stay put in the open because they couldn't reach him for permission to take cover. And not everyone plays the Soviets.

Yes C&C takes planning and forethought, both good things. But within C&C it doesn't allow for any local decisions by the unit commander if communication (lack of orders) fails somewhere.

Jackk "Smile today cuz tomorrow may really suck"

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 18
RE: Using Command & Control--Forgetabboudit! - 8/3/2005 7:01:41 PM   
Riun T

I'd just like to know how much things like the suppression and Routed stats seem to skyrocket every time I've played with C&C on and how it doesn't seem to matter even if the units in question are right beside my overall HQ unit ??{ what good is the Manual telling me that having the Hq or a command tent within 5 hexs for??} also the game has no distinction between whether the communication lines are the fixed wire telephone type, or just a field radio, point being the wire type wasn't as operator oriented and theirfor much less affected by say Arrty barrage,didn't rely on a calm operator to make sure the battery was sound,make sure they had the correct frequency for the unit they were commanded by, I think things like bunkers or any fixed position that was more likely to have wire comm. aren't given enough status in their ability to be more garenteed comm.source and a greater desuppression value.
C&C runs this thinking backwards?? RT

(in reply to Jackk)
Post #: 19
RE: Using Command & Control--Forgetabboudit! - 8/6/2005 5:52:49 PM   
RockinHarry

quote:

Good point! That would be a good expansion of the CC system in the game and I think something like this is already considered in Combat Leader. Other WG´s that takes this into account is HPS Tigers on the Prowl/Panthers in the Shadows series games, where extra "independent" movement is allowed without expending order points. To some extend in SPWAW I believe this is dealt with by the formula shown in my posting further above, where certain nations based on command ratings is allowed more movements in a turn than others. IE russians in 1941 are more at a disadvantage than germans IE. Some "Nationality Command Rating" figures from SPIII manual for 1941:

Germany 10
Japan -10
Brits 10
Soviet 0
US 10
ect.

Figures for 1945:

Germany 0
Japan -20
Brits 10
Soviet 0
US 10 (20 in 1944)

The figures go into the following formula:

(Command Rating + (A Random Number From 0 To 9) -40 + Nationality Command Rating) /10

"Command Rating" is either Leader Infantry-, Armor- or Artillery Command rating dependent upon unit type (Inf, Armor, Arty.)
"Nationality Command Rating" is the example figures from the charts above.

There´s yet other variables for order point allocation to be found in the GM starting on page75.

Here´s the stuff that affects tactics when playing with CC on:

• Single unit movement - not toward objective – 1 point if in physical contact with HQ, 2 points
if in radio contact
• Request an indirect fire bombardment (per artillery unit) – 1 point
• Change formation movement objective - 3 points
• Change mission - single unit - 1 point if in physical contact with HQ, 2 points if in radio
contact
• Change mission - all units in formation - 3 points

"Note that reconnaissance units do not use orders for movement. However, they are affected
normally by their stance setting, when the Control option is “On.” Clicking again on recon units
with a “sector” movement arc, will expand it to 360 degrees (this costs no orders and is just a
quirk)"

So if you run into amushes oftenly, make better use of those recon elements in your CC=On game!

If you consider the simulated time frame in SPWAW (2-5 minutes per game turn), then you understand that on the spot planning and assigning tasks can not be limitless with regard to available communication means and command abilities of a given leader! IE a (german) Infantry Cpy. commander needs to send runners (personell in Cpy HQ section) and/or instruct the platoon leaders personally. Imagine if the platoons currently are moving/fighting in developed formations (platoon frontier approx. 150m) ect. Even the germans (with regard to task system) could not always move or act freely and normally are given objectives/sector to defend or attack. Only if things don´t go according to initial battle plan (do you have any?), you´re required to expend order points! If you need to spend order points every turn (for same units) then you probably lack a plan! ("Order, counter order - disorder" explains that well IMO) Considering the unrealistic amount and distribution of radios to most units in the game, the CC system is even less restrictive as it actually should!

Exception from this: FO´s and reccon units. If you don´t have enough order points for your FO, then you probably try to do too much spotting with a single FO! Normally a single FO in the game is assumed to handle a single battery (standard in german army), but with enough order points accumulated he can also spot for a whole Btl/Abteilung, dependent upon if either Btry. or Btl. sized artillery units are available. That would be the realistic limit anyway! If you spot with the overall commander (A0), it is assumed that the so called "Artillerie Verbindung-Kommando" (Artillery Liaison Command) is directly attached and located with the Inf.Btl/Battlegroup HQ. This "AVK/ALC" is normally sent from the attached or subordinated artillery Btl. (one Arty. Rgt. normally can only send ONE AVK/ALC anywhere, usually to the "Schwerpunkt/Main effort" battle group, that could be Btl. or Rgt. size!) So with CC on, it´s obvious you need to purchase more FO´s to get it to work!

"Recon" ("1" formation flag in OOB) units do not expend order points to move anywhere, but in reality recon units would have been given "reccon tasks". In this regard SPWAW is much more generous! Note to Depot OOB project guys: If you see certain formations is given "Recon status" flag, then it´s most likely that past OOB creators tried to reflect better "command" abilities of certain nations and/or unit types. So with CC setting on, the reccon flag also serves for this purpose and not just for better "spotting" abilities! Had to learn that myself for V8.3 as well.

CC and AIP: Not used. The preferences setting always counts for human players (vs AI, hotseat or PBEM).

If you research a little bit the various real world nations WW2 command abilities you´ll see that the SPWAW CC system ain´t that bad and can turn out to be quite realistic....if you like it.

RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Using Command & Control--Forgetabboudit! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI