Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Need answers to possibly stupid questions...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Need answers to possibly stupid questions... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Need answers to possibly stupid questions... - 6/30/2000 6:12:00 AM   
defenseman

Hi guys! I'm still stuck playing version 1 for now until all three of my games are finished, so if you guys could help me out with answers here referenced to version one, I'd be much obliged. Also, I'm at work, and I don't have any of my SPWAW documentation here, so that's why these questions might sound stupid. 1) What German vehicles are able to 'carry' the Flak 88? I have seen pictures of something called a Kettenkrad (or something like that) towing one of these beasts. It's just a little bitty ol' kiddy car. I purchased some German 250 series halftracks to tow these things, and I can't load them, says the 88 is too heavy. What should I have bought or is there a 'tow this unit' key I don't know about. 2) Is there a way to 'sift' through a stack of units in the same hex? That is, is there a 'next' key that just for units in the same hex? 3) Is there a way to set the maximum firing range for a unit in SPWAW? I remember that there WAS a way to do this in other SP games, but I tried to do this early this morning (after work) but couldn't find the key and was too sleepy to find it in the docs. I know I should RTFM, and I usually do, but this time I didn't. Sorry. 4) Is there a way to call in a bombardment from on map SP-ARTY? I have a number of SU-76s(I THINK that's what they are) and I have been trying to get them to bombard a target that a #0 unit CAN see, but the SU-76 cannot. I hope I'm not grasping at straws here. 5) Is there ANY way to get a tank crew that bailed on their own to go back INTO the tank? It's not damaged, and the crew is no longer pinned. 6) Last two but not least, is there a key to hit that will show the LOS of the current unit? Not the current targets, but the hexes the unit can actually 'see?' Related to previous question, what key if any, when pressed, will show you where the unit can move? Thanks again for your patience folks. I wish I had my SPWAW manual with me, but even if I did, there are too many neckties around! Thanks in advance! ------------------ Sincerely, The Defenseman "Offense wins battles, but defense wins wars"

Sincerely, The Defenseman "Offense wins battles, but defense wins wars"
Post #: 1
- 6/30/2000 6:34:00 AM   
Voriax

Here you are: 1: You can check these via OOB editor. fire it up, look at the 'weight' box for the gun, in your case that is 211. then check the 'carry' box for the proposed carrier, this figure have to be same or higher than the gun weight. Off the head the Bussing-Nag heavy truck and the Sdkfz-7 can carry the 88. 2: Nope, as far as I know. 3: Hit the 'y' key and enter the range. 4: Again, check the OOB. If the unit really is an SP-arty then you can call fire from it, providing the unit has been stationary and is in contact. SU-76 could also be an assault gun or tank destroyer. 5: They should re-enter the tank on their own if they are not suppressed. 6: In the deploy phase you can select a unit and press 'v' for seeing it's current field of view. In the battle map you just have to select the unit and turn it around for the field of view... Was that all? Voriax

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

(in reply to defenseman)
Post #: 2
- 6/30/2000 6:37:00 AM   
Kharan

Hi.
quote:

Originally posted by defenseman: 1) What German vehicles are able to 'carry' the Flak 88? I have seen pictures of something called a Kettenkrad (or something like that) towing one of these beasts. It's just a little bitty ol' kiddy car. I purchased some German 250 series halftracks to tow these things, and I can't load them, says the 88 is too heavy. What should I have bought or is there a 'tow this unit' key I don't know about.
Check the unit weigh and carry capacities in the buying screen or encyplopedia. 88's weigh is 211 so units with carry capacity of 211 or higher can load it, for example the Bussing-Nag truck which has carry capacity of 218.
quote:

2) Is there a way to 'sift' through a stack of units in the same hex? That is, is there a 'next' key that just for units in the same hex?
From the preferences, try setting Live delay to XXX and Floating text off. Then move the cursor vertically on the hex which has more than one unit. Setting Live delay to XXX also allows you to instantly see the terrains elevation level.
quote:

3) Is there a way to set the maximum firing range for a unit in SPWAW? I remember that there WAS a way to do this in other SP games, but I tried to do this early this morning (after work) but couldn't find the key and was too sleepy to find it in the docs. I know I should RTFM, and I usually do, but this time I didn't. Sorry.
The "y" key sets the maximum firing range.
quote:

4) Is there a way to call in a bombardment from on map SP-ARTY? I have a number of SU-76s(I THINK that's what they are) and I have been trying to get them to bombard a target that a #0 unit CAN see, but the SU-76 cannot.
On-map arty is called just the same way as off-map arty. The problem here is that SU-76 is a SelfPropelled Gun (SPG), not a SelfPropelled Arty (SPA).
quote:

5) Is there ANY way to get a tank crew that bailed on their own to go back INTO the tank? It's not damaged, and the crew is no longer pinned.
They should return automatically if they have no or only little suppression and they are in the same hex. Are you sure that the tank was labeled Abandoned and not Destroyed? If it was Destroyed, the crew won't go back.
quote:

6) Last two but not least, is there a key to hit that will show the LOS of the current unit? Not the current targets, but the hexes the unit can actually 'see?' Related to previous question, what key if any, when pressed, will show you where the unit can move?
Just click around with right mouse button and you can see the selected unit's LOS.

(in reply to defenseman)
Post #: 3
- 6/30/2000 6:38:00 AM   
Kharan

Damnation! Voriax beat me to it.

(in reply to defenseman)
Post #: 4
- 6/30/2000 6:40:00 AM   
Voriax

quote:

Originally posted by Kharan: Damnation! Voriax beat me to it.
But not quite with the same words Btw, the 2.1 Russian oob has five (5) SU-76 variants, one is classed as SP-arty, two as tank destroyers and two Assault guns. 3 of them are named SU-76M and two SU-76i(g) Confusing, eh? Voriax [This message has been edited by Voriax (edited 06-29-2000).]

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

(in reply to defenseman)
Post #: 5
- 6/30/2000 6:47:00 AM   
Drake666

quote: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 4) Is there a way to call in a bombardment from on map SP-ARTY? I have a number of SU-76s(I THINK that's what they are) and I have been trying to get them to bombard a target that a #0 unit CAN see, but the SU-76 cannot. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- On-map arty is called just the same way as off-map arty. The problem here is that SU-76 is a SelfPropelled Gun (SPG), not a SelfPropelled Arty (SPA). Its not shown in the game but a number of guns not listed as arty was used as such. Take the SU-152, it was used as arty a number of time by the soviets. The same for the German 88.

(in reply to defenseman)
Post #: 6
- 6/30/2000 7:03:00 AM   
defenseman

Thanks for all the help guys. I think what I did wrong with the halftracks is mistook their weight for their carrying capacity. And as far as the SU-76s are concerned, I can't remember WHICH version I have, but I do remember that they each had over 20 rnds of HE, and I have several buildings that the Gerrys are residing in. I think Drake666 hit it on the nose. I'd remembered that in the war, a lot of SP Guns and TDs were used as arty, I just thought I could use this to my advantage over my opponent. Again guys, thanks for all the help! ------------------ Sincerely, The Defenseman "Offense wins battles, but defense wins wars"

Sincerely, The Defenseman "Offense wins battles, but defense wins wars"

(in reply to defenseman)
Post #: 7
- 6/30/2000 7:22:00 PM   
Tommy

4) Is there a way to call in a bombardment from on map SP-ARTY? I have a number of SU-76s(I THINK that's what they are) and I have been trying to get them to bombard a target that a #0 unit CAN see, but the SU-76 cannot. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- On-map arty is called just the same way as off-map arty. The problem here is that SU-76 is a SelfPropelled Gun (SPG), not a SelfPropelled Arty (SPA). =========================================== Actually, I don't think the game works that way. In the Blenheim battle, the Germans have two 155mm SPA. They don't show up on the "bombardment" menu (only the 2 planes do). If they are not on that menu, they cannot do Indirect Fire. I don't remember any on-board unit (other than mortars and a couple of Wespes) that have shown up on the bombardment menu. This seems to be a major oversight in the game design. I believe that a significant amount of indirect fire in WW2 was from SPA, tanks and TD's. That's a lot of tubes that we cannot use in this game for indirect fire. What is the criteria for a gun tube to show up on the bombardment menu? Tom

(in reply to defenseman)
Post #: 8
- 6/30/2000 7:43:00 PM   
Kharan

quote:

Actually, I don't think the game works that way. In the Blenheim battle, the Germans have two 155mm SPA. They don't show up on the "bombardment" menu (only the 2 planes do).
If you are talking about the sIG-II's, they are also rated SP-Guns, not SPA. I play mostly Battles, so it's pretty clear to me: anything I buy under SPA shows up in the bombardment menu... M7's, M37's, M12's, Wespes, Hummels and Sextons for example can do indirect fire.

(in reply to defenseman)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Need answers to possibly stupid questions... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI