Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Options in MC

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Mega-Campaigns for SP:WaW >> Options in MC Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Options in MC - 8/16/2005 5:13:30 AM   
RUPD3658

When I choose an option for a mission in a MC scenario (ie. "extra arty support" or "air support" as opposed to "no option") does the AI choose a different opposing force or is it given extra victory points as if I had requested reinforcments mid scenario in a standard campaign?

I have had several scenarios where I can't figure out how the AI scored as many points as it did and was wondering if this could be the cause. I always take the extra units if offered.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke

Post #: 1
RE: Options in MC - 8/16/2005 4:41:31 PM   
Jim1954

Basically yes, that is one of the things that make the megas what they are. The unpredictability of just what you are up against.

Jim1954
KMC/T

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 2
RE: Options in MC - 8/16/2005 11:30:36 PM   
RUPD3658

"Yes" as in different choice of opposing units or "yes" as in the AI get extra victory points?

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke

(in reply to Jim1954)
Post #: 3
RE: Options in MC - 8/17/2005 12:44:36 AM   
Jim1954

Yes as in it depends what the designer put in each battle. I don't know the exact number of scenario designers there were, but each may have done it differently. Perhaps Rockin' Harry can chime in as he was a part of that MC. I am basing my comments on conversations I had with Brent Richards, and those took place a couple of years ago. Memory tends to fade with age, unfortunately.

Jim1954
KMC/T

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 4
RE: Options in MC - 8/18/2005 3:20:23 PM   
RockinHarry

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim1954

Yes as in it depends what the designer put in each battle. I don't know the exact number of scenario designers there were, but each may have done it differently. Perhaps Rockin' Harry can chime in as he was a part of that MC. I am basing my comments on conversations I had with Brent Richards, and those took place a couple of years ago. Memory tends to fade with age, unfortunately.

Exactly! Depends solely on the scenario designer who made a particular scenario! The options are just means to offer different style of play. If you prefer more artillery in example, then you´d likely choose this option ect. The same counts for AI´s forces. The scenario maker might have given slightly different units to the AI´s forces, but that would not be the rule. More oftentimes the options only affect the human players forces/setup.

Edit: Could be that further VP modifiers dependent upon option selected are applied. Since I don´t have access to the mega campaign editor, I can´t give a final answer here. People to ask would be Wild Bill, Brent Richards (and Bruce Hodgeburn?).

The scoring is as problematic as every other SPWAW scenario game (see bugs thread), but usually scoring and victory conditions (per scenario) are just standard (VP ratio, #of units killed ect.) Sometimes a modifier is given for killing units. This is set in the scenario editor (setting x multiplier), before the scenario is finally included in the mega campaign tree. Scenario branching within the mega campaign is scripted like is in any other campaign, dependent upon scenario score you are forwarded to different scenarios each time.

< Message edited by RockinHarry -- 8/18/2005 3:26:31 PM >

RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

(in reply to Jim1954)
Post #: 5
RE: Options in MC - 8/18/2005 5:37:35 PM   
Major Destruction

quote:

ORIGINAL: RUPD3658

does the AI choose a different opposing force or is it given extra victory points as if I had requested reinforcments mid scenario in a standard campaign?

No.

The AI has no choice in the forces used by the computer opponent. The opponent's units are pre-selected by the scenario designer and fixed for each of the options. Notice that if you select "use more engineers" the scenario designer may place more mines. If you opt to wait for more artillery, the scenario designer may place stronger infantry defenses. Or not.

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Mega-Campaigns for SP:WaW >> Options in MC Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI