Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

bug about maximum units limit,- Answered, Thanks Eric for the fix

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> Crown Of Glory Support >> bug about maximum units limit,- Answered, Thanks Eric for the fix Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
bug about maximum units limit,- Answered, Thanks Eric f... - 8/16/2005 12:29:13 PM   
Alaric_31

hello, i have mod the "start2" file in the /data folder and added very much units, well, i think at this moment the game accept a limited number of units, demonstrate it begining a new game with my mod, if i give four or less nations "power+3" the game starts normally, but if i give five or more nations "power+3" the game crashes, also, i are unable to continue my game at power+0 because if i and the other nations build more troops the error crash comes, you can omit it but units in production for this turn are vanished, i hope the developers can fix this in a future patch, short games will not have problems but larger games can reach a point that nations are unable to produce more troops without crash the game, sad to say all this of an, otherwhise great game

There are the screenshot of the error message...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Alaric_31 -- 8/18/2005 9:13:34 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: bug about maximum units limit, please fix - 8/16/2005 2:11:35 PM   
ian77

I am not sure what you changed in your mod, but I can run a standard scenario with all eight powers at +3, and all AI nations still build more troops...

Is there a "limit" on the number of units in the campaign game?

Ian

(in reply to Alaric_31)
Post #: 2
RE: bug about maximum units limit, please fix - 8/16/2005 4:34:28 PM   
ericbabe

Interesting. The assertion in your screen snapshot is indeed in the section of code that fails when the maximum piece limit is reached. That is currently set at 2000 pieces. Yours is the first time I've ever heard of anyone reaching this piece limit. In all the games that I've played I've never broken 1000 pieces so I always assumed that a limit of 2000 was sufficient (I have the debugger set to tell me whenever this threshold was crossed), though admittedly I haven't played with a modified starting list and +3 power on all nations... For the next version I'll bump the limit up to 4000 and see if that is sufficient for your power-MOD game.

Best,
Eric

(in reply to ian77)
Post #: 3
RE: bug about maximum units limit, please fix - 8/16/2005 5:40:03 PM   
Alaric_31

hello and greetings, thanks you for your replies, and thanks eric for say this, i will revert now to the unmoded "start2" until you release the new patch and i will try it, thanks you very much for the support.

with best regards,

alaric.

There is no plan of battle that survives the contact with the enemy.

(in reply to Alaric_31)
Post #: 4
RE: bug about maximum units limit, please fix - 8/16/2005 5:55:56 PM   
ian77

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alaric_31

hello and greetings, thanks you for your replies, and thanks eric for say this, i will revert now to the unmoded "start2" until you release the new patch and i will try it, thanks you very much for the support.

with best regards,

alaric.

I am dying to know, how many units did you mod the start of the game to have? More than 2000?

Ian

(in reply to Alaric_31)
Post #: 5
RE: bug about maximum units limit, please fix - 8/16/2005 7:09:06 PM   
Alaric_31

i have heavily strengthened all nations, i think my mod is just in the limit because with 4 nations at power+3, it not give the error, with 5 nations at power+3 gives the error, i start a game at power+0, and begin to have problems just one and a half year from the start, think also that i have added leaders to all nations and i think they also count as "pieces", the problem is only with the larger games, i have done some numbers, and must say that 4000 as said by Eric will be roughly succesfull, a game of 20 years will have 240 turns, with 4000 limit this give a capacity to build around 16 units for year for all nations, this not counting the initial militia in the 214 provinces and initial troops, so a large game to 20 or 23 years will also give problems in late stages of the game, sad to say this but the numbers are here.

with best regards, and thanks eric for the dedicated support to we, the gamers, i'm pleased that you will do a modification in regard to my point

(in reply to ian77)
Post #: 6
RE: bug about maximum units limit, please fix - 8/16/2005 7:23:10 PM   
ian77

Four nations at +3 power gives 84 units, 5 nations means an extra 105 pieces (I think), so you must have about 1900 pieces to start your campaign! WOW!

Ian

(in reply to Alaric_31)
Post #: 7
RE: bug about maximum units limit, please fix - 8/16/2005 10:47:37 PM   
ericbabe

There are some "hidden" pieces that the data table uses for internal processing: for instance, when you create a depot and then delete it the depot instead turns into a "deleted depot" piece until piece cleanup time.... other "virtual pieces" are used by the engine for similar bits of processing.

(in reply to ian77)
Post #: 8
RE: bug about maximum units limit, please fix - 8/17/2005 1:21:52 PM   
ian77

Yeah, but 1900 pieces when the scenario loads... WOW! That is a lot of troops, formations, and leaders

Ian

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 9
RE: bug about maximum units limit, please fix - 8/18/2005 9:34:37 AM   
Alaric_31

Hello and greetings, Ian77, Eric and for all others, about my mod i have made changes for almost all files for the standard game, give nations a pre-defined "priority" status and production, all the map, except for corsica and sardinia begin the game alligned with some nation as conquered province first, then give each province a Food and Money production by province by the initial "priority" this nation have, so, france, britain and sweden are firts order nations, russia, austria and prussia are second order nations and spain and turkey are third order nation, also i think i have doubled the number of leaders, much start the game deployed and the others come in turns 12, 24 and 36, no leader comes after turn 36, used some leaders of other scenarios and added new leaders as well, and much other changes, armies can be said as the highest draft for each nation in his best moment of the napoleonic wars, france start with near two million men, russia with a million and a half with all other nations coming after this, morale also tweaked, all nations receive better morale, so doing, battles last for longer as troops for all nations rout later, but beware, i have stablish of no let any nation to start with more than 6.5 morale, doing so you prevent of troops recruited start with same morale of guard units, so britain do not receive morale boost at all, balanced giving them more troops at start, france start at 6.5 as britain, coming with sweden at 6.0 morale, russia, prussia and austria at 5.5 and spain and turkey at 4.5. thanks for reading i hope you find interesting all this.

(in reply to Alaric_31)
Post #: 10
RE: bug about maximum units limit, please fix - 8/18/2005 9:44:33 AM   
Alaric_31

well, hello there, i was wanting to write a post about my mod to give ideas to people and do it in the previous post, now i want to say that the unit limit is needed to be tweaked as said from Eric, i hope you do so in the next patch, also hope it cannot hurt the game engine in other way and do not know if this can happen.

a game of 20 years will have 240 turns multiplied by 8 nations it gives 1920, if the limit is 2000 pieces you will reach the 2000 limit building one unit each turn with each nation, so, Eric i will apreciate very much if you will raise the piece limit to 6000 or 8000 but again, if this cannot hurt the game engine, thanks for your time and reading the post.

with my best regards,

Alaric

(in reply to Alaric_31)
Post #: 11
RE: bug about maximum units limit, please fix - 8/18/2005 2:53:08 PM   
ian77

Eric, is there anywhere we can readily look at that tells us how many pieces are in play? I have a 1792 game which just reached 1800, and I keep getting error messages and individual newly built units which do not display on the map but do appear on the military advisor screen. When ordered to auto join the can then be used as normal.

I wonder if I am at the 2k limit?

Ian

(in reply to Alaric_31)
Post #: 12
RE: bug about maximum units limit, please fix - 8/18/2005 4:06:24 PM   
Hard Sarge

Hi Ian

you may have that option set, the new unit may be there, only it is blocked from view ?????

(in reply to ian77)
Post #: 13
RE: bug about maximum units limit, please fix - 8/18/2005 4:21:45 PM   
ian77

Hi H-S! The worry is the error messages that pop up at the start of each new turn, usually 5+, clicking ignore seems to allow me to play on, sometimes, so far just 2 CTDs from about 6 or 7 error listed turns...

Ian

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 14
RE: bug about maximum units limit, please fix - 8/18/2005 6:04:03 PM   
Hard Sarge

okay, I not seen that one

yuck

but Eric did say he may try to up the limit to 4000 or so, to try and avoid that

(in reply to ian77)
Post #: 15
RE: bug about maximum units limit, please fix - 8/18/2005 6:34:10 PM   
ericbabe

quote:

ORIGINAL: ian77

Eric, is there anywhere we can readily look at that tells us how many pieces are in play? I have a 1792 game which just reached 1800, and I keep getting error messages and individual newly built units which do not display on the map but do appear on the military advisor screen. When ordered to auto join the can then be used as normal.

I wonder if I am at the 2k limit?

Ian

Not really... do you have a lot of units? I've already increased the limit to 4000 for the next build and I'm hoping to get patch #2 out sooner than originally estimated (because of the TCP/IP issue primarily, but also because the undo seems to be working fairly well). Hopefully this will solve that.

(in reply to ian77)
Post #: 16
RE: bug about maximum units limit, please fix - 8/18/2005 7:49:47 PM   
Bruckner

What about "disband" Eric? I havn't seen any comments on that one.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 17
RE: bug about maximum units limit, please fix - 8/18/2005 9:11:17 PM   
ericbabe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruckner

What about "disband" Eric? I havn't seen any comments on that one.

Lots of people have asked about adding a disband feature, though not perhaps recently. We're considering it, at least in some cases.

(in reply to Bruckner)
Post #: 18
RE: bug about maximum units limit, please fix - 8/18/2005 9:19:42 PM   
Alaric_31

Hello, thanks for working on the unit limit, Eric, with 4000 limit we can play mods with more units or longer games i will try my mod with the next patch when it is ready for download, the first patch has come really fast from release, this show your dedicated support to the game, thanks again

Btw i will put a eye in Ian77 post about units not displayed on the map and displayed in the military advisor, maybe this can help, i don´t know.

with my best regards,

Alaric.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> Crown Of Glory Support >> bug about maximum units limit,- Answered, Thanks Eric for the fix Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI