Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Surprise attacks in SPWAW

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Surprise attacks in SPWAW Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Surprise attacks in SPWAW - 8/20/2005 9:08:04 PM   
Puukkoo

In commando & special force scenarios player faces an enemy that is always ready for combat. This does not make a surprise attack possible. Enemy is too prepared for action and it results in great losses for the special troops. There is however a solution to this problem.

By the help of the editor enemy units can be made 'suppressed' for the first few turns of the combat and they will only slowly react to the fire. I'm still much living in SP3 times and I must learn how to use that bloody thing.

Don't be shocked, I AM funny.
Post #: 1
RE: Surprise attacks in SPWAW - 8/21/2005 7:19:07 AM   
Wild Bill

It will work. I usually do it through artillery fire, then making a save, converting it to a scenario and do some more editing.

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Puukkoo)
Post #: 2
RE: Surprise attacks in SPWAW - 8/21/2005 2:27:22 PM   
Puukkoo

How great! Thank you sir!

I just don't yet know all the finesses this game has. Good if it works that way.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 3
RE: Surprise attacks in SPWAW - 8/21/2005 4:29:18 PM   
Wild Bill

You have some fun moments of discovery ahead of you, my friend. It is a treasure-house of surprises...WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Puukkoo)
Post #: 4
RE: Surprise attacks in SPWAW - 8/22/2005 9:52:16 PM   
Puukkoo

Yep! That works. I can now revise my scenario "Tank busters at Summa". The infantry AT-men can now get closer to tanks without being answered by angry machinegun fire. Molotov coctails are now more interesting weapons even in assault mission.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 5
RE: Surprise attacks in SPWAW - 8/22/2005 11:41:03 PM   
RUPD3658

You could also have the defending force units area fire on their own troops then save. This would provide suppression and expend shots.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke

(in reply to Puukkoo)
Post #: 6
RE: Surprise attacks in SPWAW - 8/23/2005 5:27:47 AM   
Wild Bill

Glad it worked for you. I sometimes do this, then remove the artillery if I don't want it, or replace it so that they have a full load. The other suggestion is equally good, but I've never been able to get my troops to fire on their own men.

WB
======

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 7
RE: Surprise attacks in SPWAW - 8/24/2005 7:16:36 AM   
easycoetzee

Bill, hit the "Z" key then select that unit. I've done it by accident.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 8
RE: Surprise attacks in SPWAW - 8/24/2005 8:56:27 AM   
Wild Bill

Well, well, Easy! Live and learn! Thank you! Will I ever learn all the tricks to this game. I've been trying to for over 10 years now and you wonderful guys keep giving me new toys!

I did not know that was possible! Thank you again...WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to easycoetzee)
Post #: 9
RE: Surprise attacks in SPWAW - 8/24/2005 10:37:53 AM   
KNomad

Just in case the enemy refuses to comply, "Z" fire also works wonderfully for destroying one of your core units you wish to upgrade to a different unit type.

The gnome zaps a wand of death. (Nethack)
Don't get hurt! (XCOM: Apocolypse)
Incoming firepower has the Right of Way!
Fire at Will (or Wesley)!

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 10
RE: Surprise attacks in SPWAW - 8/24/2005 1:50:03 PM   
Warrior

Set your defenders facing away from the attack. That will allow you to sneak up on them.

Retreat is NOT an option.

(in reply to KNomad)
Post #: 11
RE: Surprise attacks in SPWAW - 8/24/2005 5:22:30 PM   
Puukkoo

Change of facing will decrease hit probability, but if you want to cause a real *havoc* in opposing forces, you should make enemy suppressed.

In my own unpublished scenario I destroyed over 20 suppressed enemy tanks with SC's, molotovs and AT-mines while losing only few men. (Most of it was pure luck as some tanks were successfully assaulted with probability of 16%).

(in reply to Warrior)
Post #: 12
RE: Surprise attacks in SPWAW - 8/29/2005 5:44:56 PM   
RockinHarry

Adding "suppression" to units in Freds WaWEditor actually is the quickest way. Load scenario, open "Position/Property" Editor in "Tools" menu, set "suppression" as property (default already), enter "Min/Max" range for property (same value for "Min/Max" sets property to same value for all units selected) and select units to be affected by clicking in the "unit" column. A red bar and an asterisk indicate a selected unit. You can also select multiple units at a time by drawing a window around the units (yellow dots) in the upper left hand map window. Then press "select" button. If all settings and selections are made then finally apply the edits by pressing the "Set" button. Leave "position/property" window, save scenario, done.

As Puukkoo already mentioned the suppression will last for the first few turns only, until all supressed units are rallied back to unsupressed normally (..not considering any additional suppressing effects that might apply in the meantime!).

Some useful info about "suppression":

"In SP games your status (normal, pinned, retreating, routed) was directly linked to how your suppression compared to your morale. A "suppression multiple" between morale/3 and morale/5 (morale/4 by default) was the "increment" that meant an automatic change in status. IF you had morale 80 that means you became pinned at 20 suppression, retreated at 40 and routed at 60. If you had morale 60, it was 15, 30 and 45."

Some other trick for scenario design: Use vehicles and its crews seperately to simulate a unit in rest, maintenance halt ect. This is set up by using a saved game similar to what Wild Bill mentioned further above. Start your scenario as usual, but set it up as two player (hotseat) in order to play and have access to both sides. Select the vehicles (or any other crewed unit) that should have their crews bailed and hit the "9" key for bailing each crew/unit. Once done for all units, save the game, rename and put it into scenario menu (savexxx.dat to scenxxx.dat) and reload the now "converted" save game back into the scenario editor and apply any additional changes, like moving crews out of the abandoned state vehicle hex. Now you could as well apply "supression" to the crews with any of the above mentioned methods if you need. Reaction Turns work for crews just like for any other units. This means that crews will start to move toward their vehicles quite automatically at the set reaction time. With this method you could also simulate crews manning their guns (AT gun, AA, artillery) at a given game turn. This is very useful if you want to activate the AI (onboard) artillery at a given game turn.

There´s yet much more use of bailed crews for scenario design....

RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

(in reply to Puukkoo)
Post #: 13
RE: Surprise attacks in SPWAW - 8/29/2005 8:40:59 PM   
Puukkoo

Thanks RockinHarry. That was very comprehensive. I was just pondering how I could make those 'bailed crews'. Almost invented it myself too (actually, I was not even close to it).

(in reply to RockinHarry)
Post #: 14
RE: Surprise attacks in SPWAW - 8/31/2005 6:13:07 PM   
RockinHarry

quote:

ORIGINAL: Puukkoo

Thanks RockinHarry. That was very comprehensive. I was just pondering how I could make those 'bailed crews'. Almost invented it myself too (actually, I was not even close to it).

Just figured by trial and error that the crew stuff does not work in user camapaigns! Still a usefull feature for single scenario designs though.

RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

(in reply to Puukkoo)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Surprise attacks in SPWAW Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI