Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Scoring in 8.4?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Scoring in 8.4? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Scoring in 8.4? - 8/22/2005 11:02:38 PM   
Adamo

I'm another returnee and I'm still playing ver 8.2. I was wondering if, in any of the 2 updates, 8.3 and 8.4, whether the scoring system has been addressed. I play a lot of solitaire and I have yet to figure out the after-battle scoring system. I've heard others complain about this in the past and I wanted to know if it's been improved and/or fixed since 8.2.

Thanks

Adam
Post #: 1
RE: Scoring in 8.4? - 8/22/2005 11:08:01 PM   
Terminus

If you're talking about the casualty report, it's still screwy...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Adamo)
Post #: 2
RE: Scoring in 8.4? - 8/22/2005 11:34:19 PM   
Alby

The end game scoring has always bothered me...way too many draws for me...
even if the point differential was signifigant

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 3
RE: Scoring in 8.4? - 8/23/2005 4:31:57 AM   
Twotribes

It is a draw if you dont have at least a set percent more than the other side. I dont know the percents, but just cause you have say 3000 points more than the other guy if it doesnt mean the percent needed for some type of victory it is a draw. Keeping enemy points down and getting points yourself is the idea.

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 4
RE: Scoring in 8.4? - 8/23/2005 6:39:10 AM   
Major Destruction

We all know who won.

need I say more?

They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 5
RE: Scoring in 8.4? - 8/23/2005 6:39:42 AM   
chief

Adamo: Its just like you left it a while back. No changes that I can see. Also see previous answers.....Welcome back.

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 6
RE: Scoring in 8.4? - 8/23/2005 10:56:01 AM   
Puukkoo

In ver 8.0 I managed to create a scenario that can be won only if you lose less than 10 men. I did not even adjust victory point value of the troops by more than x2.

It seems that you cannot score a decisive victory by Pyrrhic victories, but it's only realistic.

Don't be shocked, I AM funny.

(in reply to chief)
Post #: 7
RE: Scoring in 8.4? - 8/23/2005 3:27:13 PM   
"Joss" Osborne

I believe somewhere there is a matrix (no pun intended!) that shows you the ranges for each vic type and I believe this is related to the type of game you play. (Assault, advance etc.) which I believe is why you do not see too many PBEM games played as "assaults".

I'll see if I can find it. This is why I've always believed any ladder/league play with this game should be scored o the raw numbers not the type of victory. This is especially true of draws.

Regards,

Joe "Joss" Osborne

(in reply to Puukkoo)
Post #: 8
RE: Scoring in 8.4? - 8/23/2005 4:57:02 PM   
Adamo

I must say, in defense of the game, sometimes there's a fine line between victory and defeat. If a unit occupies a victory hex but is 'surrounded' by enemy units can you say that the unit has the hex 'occupied'? With that said, the game's calculations of units lost, etc. is very messed up.

adam

(in reply to "Joss" Osborne)
Post #: 9
RE: Scoring in 8.4? - 8/23/2005 6:15:15 PM   
Puukkoo

True. Some victories just don't feel like victories. If you lost 50% of your troops you cannot actually have won a 'decisive victory'.

Don't be shocked, I AM funny.

(in reply to Adamo)
Post #: 10
RE: Scoring in 8.4? - 8/23/2005 9:43:34 PM   
Svennemir

A quick google search revealed the following. It's from http://www.bostream.nu/brickhouse/spwaw.html, which in turn curiously attributes the information to these forums.

quote:

SPWaW Victory Ratios explained

This is from a post on the SPWaW forum at Matrix Games and describes how the victory rations are calculated in SPWaW. There has been some controversy in regards to the problem with scoring a Major victory in some scenarios. The reason for this happening is explained below:

I have posted this before but I will post it again.
Human vs computer
More than 1-3 Decisive Loss
1-3 to 3-1 Draw
3-1 to 7-1 Minor victory
7-1 Higher Major victory

The odds vs human player are a little lower. This is due to the predictable action of the AI in computer generated battles.
Human vs. Human
More than 1-2 Decisive Loss
1-2 to 2-1 Draw
2-1 to 6-1 Minor victory
6-1 Higher Major victory

I too think that the odds are too extreme. Fairly even players will get a lot of draws. Also the victory point contribution from taking objectives is far too small in my opinion, at least relative to the typical contribution from losses. The loss of a tank platoon is frequently worse than several victory hexes, meaning that the current system doesn't scale well into large battles, becoming pure wars of annihilation. It would be really cool if the player could apply an arbitrary factor to the victory hex points.

By the way, the "More than 1-2 Decisive Loss" looks kind of strange to me, I think it should be symmetric. The other part of the table resembles what I've heard elsewhere, so that's probably correct.

(in reply to Puukkoo)
Post #: 11
RE: Scoring in 8.4? - 8/23/2005 10:05:38 PM   
Svennemir

[Post removed: wrong thread. When using multiple tabs, the forum cannot figure out where your posts should go.]

< Message edited by Svennemir -- 8/24/2005 3:42:45 AM >

(in reply to Adamo)
Post #: 12
RE: Scoring in 8.4? - 8/23/2005 10:50:08 PM   
Adamo

What do those ratios represent? Are they the ratio of 'victory points'? 'Victory Points' being a combination of victory hex points and casualty points?

adam

(in reply to Svennemir)
Post #: 13
RE: Scoring in 8.4? - 8/24/2005 1:24:43 AM   
KNomad

quote:

ORIGINAL: Adamo

What do those ratios represent? Are they the ratio of 'victory points'? 'Victory Points' being a combination of victory hex points and casualty points?

adam

Yup - you accumulate victory points by contolling objectives and destroying your enemy.

The gnome zaps a wand of death. (Nethack)
Don't get hurt! (XCOM: Apocolypse)
Incoming firepower has the Right of Way!
Fire at Will (or Wesley)!

(in reply to Adamo)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Scoring in 8.4? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI