Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Help with supply...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Battles In Italy >> Help with supply... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Help with supply... - 8/31/2005 11:51:17 PM   
grosbil

Ok, all is in the subject: How does the supply work???
Post #: 1
RE: Help with supply... - 9/1/2005 12:57:20 AM   
nukkxx5058

Hi, I also try to figure out how it's working. I understand taht when you are within the "supply net" (green zone when pressing "s" key) then you have nothing to do for supply and units are automaticaly re-supplied each turn.
Now, I didn't understand the difference between "normal supply" and "truck supply" ... same for the use of supply units.

But many things I didn't understand like for instance the "fuel gauge" ... also, I have some units outside the green supply zone but they stay 100% supplied turn after turn...

well, I am a little bit like you. I feel lost with the supply thing ... explainations welcome because supply's still a big mystery for me.

< Message edited by nukkxx -- 9/1/2005 12:59:44 AM >

(in reply to grosbil)
Post #: 2
RE: Help with supply... - 9/1/2005 1:45:04 AM   
Fred98

If you look at the unit information you see that each unit has some “bullets”.

Each time a unit carries out an “action” it uses up a bullet. If the unit is in supply it gets the bullet back at the start of the next turn. If it is not in supply it does not get the bullet back.

And so it is, units with bullets can operate behind the lines and out of supply for a number of turns, based on how many bullets they have.

Supply is "yellow" or "green". When it is yellow the units cannot get replacements. Certain supply trucks can never "supply replacements" and so supply from these particulair trucks is yellow.

As for the fuel gauge, you will notice that when a unit has no fuel, it cannot use extended movement. To re-fuel, move it to a supplied hex away from enemy units and have it sit there till it re-fuels. The no of turns it takes to refuel is dependant upon a lot of variables.

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 3
RE: Help with supply... - 9/1/2005 1:54:23 AM   
ehoch

quote:

you have nothing to do for supply and units are automaticaly re-supplied each turn.
Now, I didn't understand

I have been playing now for quite a while and for a long time I just kind of estimated the supply issues and hoped for the best - but if you play some of the scenarios you will get destroyed just by these issues. The best explanation I have seen : the Italy game manual along with playing around with a difficult supply scenario (Husky / Burma) against yourself.

(in reply to grosbil)
Post #: 4
RE: Help with supply... - 9/1/2005 4:21:27 AM   
Fred98

The terrain in BII is very mountainous. Look at the truck icons. Some have a supply burst using wheeled type and some use foot type.

Those that use foot type cannot supply troops who move very far off roads.

And the size of the supply burst depends upon the weather and the supply level.

So, look ahead and check the weather and supply level and prepare for it. Otherwise you will get caught out.
-

(in reply to ehoch)
Post #: 5
RE: Help with supply... - 9/1/2005 5:17:02 AM   
JSS

Joe brings up the key point on supply in the mountains. Its important to see which of your supply units can provide supply to your units that aren't on a road hex.

The units which burst supply by foot movement support best in rugged terrain (off road support). Those which burst supply using wheel or supply movement do poorly in the mountains (but do very well sending supply along the road hexes).

Also watch out for terrain that no supply can reach. In these hexes a foot unit must move back into supplied terrain periodically.

Finally be prepared for your opponent's air interdiction to restrict supply movement, especially in those mountain passes.

< Message edited by JSS -- 9/3/2005 1:12:37 PM >

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 6
RE: Help with supply... - 9/1/2005 10:03:53 AM   
grosbil

Thanks!
I will look more carrefully at my trucks...

(in reply to JSS)
Post #: 7
RE: Help with supply... - 9/1/2005 9:01:43 PM   
nukkxx5058

Thanks for the help !

I have some more (basic?) questions:

-Appart from trucks (units) what is the other source of supply (I mean the green zone when I hit "s". Some squares are green, other are green with a truck symbol)

-How do I know the range of action of a supply unit and how do i know what units are supplied by what "supply truck unit"?

(in reply to grosbil)
Post #: 8
RE: Help with supply... - 9/2/2005 8:35:15 AM   
Gregor_SSG

quote:

ORIGINAL: nukkxx

Thanks for the help !

I have some more (basic?) questions:

-Appart from trucks (units) what is the other source of supply (I mean the green zone when I hit "s". Some squares are green, other are green with a truck symbol)

-How do I know the range of action of a supply unit and how do i know what units are supplied by what "supply truck unit"?

If you look at Appendix A in the manual for Battles in Italy, you will see a very detailed explanation of how supply is calculated. Together with Section 28 in the manual itself, it should answer most questions.

Gregor

Vice President, Strategic Studies Group
See http://www.ssg.com.au and http://www.ssg.com.au/forums/
for info and free scenarios.

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 9
RE: Help with supply... - 12/5/2005 9:53:19 PM   
Robles

Hot dog, there's actually a "Manual". lol

I laboriously worked my way through the Tutorials and emerged with all kinds of questions, proceeding to get my hind end kicked repeatedly in the scenarios, generally over supply.

It's great to get back into turn based, hex based strategy war games. As someone who grew up playing AH's Afrika Corps I had thought these kind of games were a relic of the past. I'm very excited to see you doing such quality work. I just have to get my rusty skills back into shape :-). Kudos on the AI and everything else I have seen to date -- BII is terrific.

I'd like to see more after action posts. Those are really helpful in understanding mechanics and strategy.

Meanwhile I will have to read the manual. Hmmm. Manual eh, lol. I actually missed it, thinking the Tutorial pdf was the manual.

(in reply to Gregor_SSG)
Post #: 10
RE: Help with supply... - 12/8/2005 12:14:37 AM   
Gregor_SSG

quote:

ORIGINAL: Robles

Hot dog, there's actually a "Manual". lol

I laboriously worked my way through the Tutorials and emerged with all kinds of questions, proceeding to get my hind end kicked repeatedly in the scenarios, generally over supply.

It's great to get back into turn based, hex based strategy war games. As someone who grew up playing AH's Afrika Corps I had thought these kind of games were a relic of the past. I'm very excited to see you doing such quality work. I just have to get my rusty skills back into shape :-). Kudos on the AI and everything else I have seen to date -- BII is terrific.

I'd like to see more after action posts. Those are really helpful in understanding mechanics and strategy.

Meanwhile I will have to read the manual. Hmmm. Manual eh, lol. I actually missed it, thinking the Tutorial pdf was the manual.

Yes, there's a manual! I hope that it helps you sort things out. Supply is one of those critical parts of a game design where a certain level of complexity is unavoidable if we are to get realistic results. Once you mastered it though, you'll get better results from your gaming and a better appreciation of the problems facing the real life commanders whose battles you're recreating.

Gregor

Vice President, Strategic Studies Group
See http://www.ssg.com.au and http://www.ssg.com.au/forums/
for info and free scenarios.

(in reply to Robles)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Battles In Italy >> Help with supply... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI