Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: WitP Utility - update available

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: WitP Utility - update available Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WitP Utility - update available - 8/9/2005 11:58:21 PM   
Lord_Calidor

Bodhi, is it possible to make a zoom tool, so we can zoom in/out on the map?
I think it could be useful for a better strategic view and planning over specific areas.

But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
Then imitate the action of the tiger;
Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood,
Disguise fair nature with hard-favour'd rage.

(in reply to Haplo_Patryn)
Post #: 271
RE: WitP Utility - update available - 8/10/2005 8:31:55 AM   
Bodhi

Good idea, spent a bit of time on the train this morning thinking about how it could be implemented. Would be a nice thing to try, both from the user interface and programming aspects. Unfortunately, the rate at which I'm working on the update, I doubt it'll see the light of day anytime soon, if at all. However, one part of the update may be useful for strategy and planning in specific areas. I've just got to stop playing the damn game and get coding! Maybe now that the Solomon Islands appear secure and Rabaul is taken, I may do some more before I start my next offensive.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lord_Calidor

I think it could be useful for a better strategic view and planning over specific areas.

Bodhi

(in reply to Lord_Calidor)
Post #: 272
RE: WitP Utility - update available - 8/10/2005 1:37:42 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bodhi

Good idea, spent a bit of time on the train this morning thinking about how it could be implemented. Would be a nice thing to try, both from the user interface and programming aspects. Unfortunately, the rate at which I'm working on the update, I doubt it'll see the light of day anytime soon, if at all. However, one part of the update may be useful for strategy and planning in specific areas. I've just got to stop playing the damn game and get coding! Maybe now that the Solomon Islands appear secure and Rabaul is taken, I may do some more before I start my next offensive.

Good!

I keep my fingers crossed for new version that would contain the spotted TFs vectors...

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to Bodhi)
Post #: 273
RE: WitP Utility - update available - 8/11/2005 3:41:06 PM   
Bodhi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

I keep my fingers crossed for new version that would contain the spotted TFs vectors...

They're already in my version.

Here's a quick screen to show they'll look. They look a bit different on a cluttered map, but I think it's still possible to get useful info at a glance.

Apart from the direction, the width gives an indication of the TF size, and the colour an indication of speed. In the example the TFs are, from top to bottom:

#Ships   Speed Knts
  1          1 
  3          5
  6         10    
  9         15
  12        20
  15        25

So yellow->red is slow->fast, and thin->thick is small->large.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Bodhi -- 8/11/2005 3:51:23 PM >

Bodhi

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 274
RE: WitP Utility - update available - 8/11/2005 4:02:57 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

quote:

Here's a quick screen to show they'll look. They look a bit different on a cluttered map, but I think it's still possible to get useful info at a glance.

Apart from the direction, the width gives an indication of the TF size, and the colour an indication of speed. In the example the TFs are, from top to bottom:

#Ships   Speed Knts
  1          1 
  3          5
  6         10    
  9         15
  12        20
  15        25

_GREAT_ - thanks !!!

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to Bodhi)
Post #: 275
RE: WitP Utility - update available - 8/11/2005 6:00:04 PM   
Knavey

That sure looks great. Since we don't get many WitP patches anymore, some of us eagerly await yours!

x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 276
RE: WitP Utility - update available - 8/12/2005 12:20:11 AM   
JamesM

Bohdi,

Would be also be able to add an option with allows you to define how dates are shown in the various screens i.e. DD/MM/YYYY, MM/DD/YYYY, YYYY/MM/DD, etc.

Ta

Jim

(in reply to Knavey)
Post #: 277
RE: WitP Utility - update available - 8/12/2005 6:49:10 AM   
Bodhi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Knavey

That sure looks great. Since we don't get many WitP patches anymore, some of us eagerly await yours!

Oh dear, I hope you won't be too disappointed when the next one comes out - hopefully before the next WitP patch.

Bodhi

(in reply to Knavey)
Post #: 278
RE: WitP Utility - update available - 8/12/2005 6:49:31 AM   
Bodhi

quote:

ORIGINAL: jamesm
Would be also be able to add an option with allows you to define how dates are shown in the various screens i.e. DD/MM/YYYY, MM/DD/YYYY, YYYY/MM/DD, etc.

Hi Jim,

That should be possible. I don't remember hard-coding a specific format, so the one you're seeing should come from your regional setting under Windows. If that's not the case and, I guess, you're seeing DD/MM/YY, then I've probably hard-coded it after all! I can't get along with the American way of displaying dates, and get annoyed when some programs disregard my Windows setting and always display them the American way, so I may have been extracting my revenge.

I plan to do a bit more on the utility over the weekend, so I'll take a look then.

Bodhi

(in reply to JamesM)
Post #: 279
RE: WitP Utility - update available - 8/12/2005 10:38:02 AM   
JamesM

Bodhi,

Firstly thank you this great utility.

ANother suggetsion I have which I am not sure if you can do. A useful report to filter into another tab is if intel reports that the emeny is planning an attack on a certain location.

Ta

Jim

(in reply to Bodhi)
Post #: 280
RE: WitP Utility - update available - 8/12/2005 6:41:08 PM   
Theng

Bodhi,

awesome tool. Finally, the intel reports make sense. I don't know if anyone has asked yet, but could you also add a screen where all the arrived units are tabulated? That way I don't miss anything coming on board. Thanks again for a great tool.

Molon Labe!

(in reply to JamesM)
Post #: 281
RE: WitP Utility - update available - 8/13/2005 1:07:50 AM   
Bodhi

quote:

ORIGINAL: jamesm
A useful report to filter into another tab is if intel reports that the emeny is planning an attack on a certain location.

Hoping to put something in for this in the next version, feedback when it's available would be appreciated.

Bodhi

(in reply to JamesM)
Post #: 282
RE: WitP Utility - update available - 8/13/2005 1:08:18 AM   
Bodhi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Xian
could you also add a screen where all the arrived units are tabulated? That way I don't miss anything coming on board.

Intended to be part of the next update.

quote:

Thanks again for a great tool.

Glad you like it.

Bodhi

(in reply to Theng)
Post #: 283
RE: WitP Utility - update available - 8/14/2005 5:53:25 AM   
Theng

Okay, another request: I am playing WitP on multiple machines (home, 2nd home, and laptop) is it possible that the program automatically detects the current date?

Molon Labe!

(in reply to Bodhi)
Post #: 284
RE: WitP Utility - update available - 8/14/2005 2:58:27 PM   
Haplo_Patryn

Bodhi, I see that your utility doesn't work when the game has the Show combat animation off. It seems that in this case the turn doesn't create the Combat Report readme.txt so the utility cannot get that part of the information. The rest of the information is ok, but the combat reports are missing, isn't that so?.

BTW, a great utility. I use it a lot

PD: Ummm, i think what i have said above is not exactly correct. I'm playing a PBEM game and in the first turns the combat reports readme.txt weren't create (from 07-12-41 to 10-12-41), i'm 100% sure. I thought that maybe the cause was the Combat Animations off or something like this. I have played just now the next PBEM turn and the game has created the combat report.txt for the first time. So far, the combat report readme.txt was always from the other Campaign game that i'm playing against the IA. Any idea?

< Message edited by Haplo_Patryn -- 8/14/2005 3:08:25 PM >

(in reply to Theng)
Post #: 285
RE: WitP Utility - update available - 8/14/2005 3:34:17 PM   
michaelm75au

If [in game preferences] COMBAT REPORTS is OFF, the game will not produce the report files.
Michael

< Message edited by michaelm -- 8/14/2005 4:03:31 PM >

Post #: 286
RE: WitP Utility - update available - 8/14/2005 11:05:31 PM   
Haplo_Patryn

Yes, it could be. Anyway, it seems that now works well

(in reply to michaelm75au)
Post #: 287
RE: WitP Utility - update available - 8/21/2005 11:30:30 AM   
Knavey

Bodhi,

If I wanted to manually put in a sighting that is not on the official list of sightings, how would I go about it?

I know there are CVs (and which ones) in a TF that has been spotted, and although the game doesn't officially reflect the fact that they are there, I would like it reflected in your utility for tracking purposes.

Just not sure which files I need to modify (and how I could do it) for this to happen.

Thanks,

x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93

Post #: 288
RE: WitP Utility - update available - 8/21/2005 12:53:20 PM   
Widell

quote:

If I wanted to manually put in a sighting that is not on the official list of sightings, how would I go about it?

There is a comment function built in. Place the cursor over the hex you want to add the comment to and hit F1

If this is not what you are looking for, I guess you need to edit the .txt file generated by WitP before you run the utility. You should be able to add a line of text that the utility picks up provided you copy the exaxt format that the game produces (Bodhi - Please correct me if I´m wrong)

/Robert

(in reply to Knavey)
Post #: 289
RE: WitP Utility - update available - 8/21/2005 11:10:08 PM   
witpqs

Bodhi,

Before I run your utility I would like to know - does it leave processes running in the background? Or, is the window the only process that runs?

(in reply to Widell)
Post #: 290
RE: WitP Utility - update available - 8/22/2005 1:12:56 AM   
Knavey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Widell

quote:

There is a comment function built in. Place the cursor over the hex you want to add the comment to and hit F1

If this is not what you are looking for, I guess you need to edit the .txt file generated by WitP before you run the utility. You should be able to add a line of text that the utility picks up provided you copy the exaxt format that the game produces (Bodhi - Please correct me if I´m wrong)

/Robert

I am trying to stay away from the comment file...would like to show up in the same sightings menu that you can dropdown each CV on. I tried ammending the ops report, and it captured it on the ops page, but not as an individual sighting of the specific ship.

x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93

(in reply to Widell)
Post #: 291
RE: WitP Utility - update available - 8/22/2005 3:09:11 AM   
Bodhi

There are two ways naval assests are tracked.

1. When they're involved (and thus sighted) in any naval combat, including attacks by subs and air strikes. This info comes from the combatreport.txt file.
2. When they are named in a sighting report. This info comes from the operations.txt report.

You've got the right idea adding it as a "named" sighting to the ops report file. Don't know why it's shown up in the ops report list but not in the asset tracking. I could have a look at the ops report if you'd like to mail it to me at bodhi.witp@gmail.com I do remember fixing a bug with asset tracking, but I don't have the code in front of me now, so I can't tell if the fix was pre- or post-release.

As this way of doing it is a bit of a hack, I'd like to return to your original question about how to edit the trackings. This version was deliberately left so that it just tried to display the data from the ops/combat files. Allowing user editing of the info was always part of the plan and I'm making progress on that. Currently working on bases/LCU info, but once that is done I'll be going back to the naval assets. Not too sure how to handle air assests though - don't suppose anyone has any ideas?

Bodhi

(in reply to Knavey)
Post #: 292
RE: WitP Utility - update available - 8/22/2005 3:10:04 AM   
Bodhi

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Bodhi,

Before I run your utility I would like to know - does it leave processes running in the background? Or, is the window the only process that runs?

The window should be the only process running.

Bodhi

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 293
RE: WitP Utility - updated (12/06/2005) - 8/22/2005 3:43:13 AM   
Knavey

Bodhi,

I am trying to get it to fall into the sightings box that you have in your program. What data file does that one pull the data from?

I first put CV Akagi into a TF that had been attacked. Just added it to the list. It did show it in your program under the Combat reports, but not on the sightings. If I did the CV Akagi dropdown, nothing showed there.

Then I put it in the operations report as Do 24K-2 has spotted Akagi at 20,45. It showed up on the ops list, and in the hex if it was selected, but when I tried the dropdown menu for Akagi it did not show anything again.

I think I am just not putting it in the right file or perhaps the correct format.

Thanks for a great utility.

x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93

(in reply to Bodhi)
Post #: 294
RE: WitP Utility - updated (12/06/2005) - 8/22/2005 4:20:00 AM   
Bodhi

Sorry I forgot to mention that the ops/intel/combat reporting and asset tracking displays work a little differently. Ops/intel/combat reports are always refreshed directly from the combined ops/intel/combat concatenated text files after each turn resolution. The asset tracking stores it's info in it's own files and only goes through the complete ops/combat files once on first use. After that it only gets the info for the last turn when that data is first accessed, either via auto-detection of turn end or the manual update option.

So, if you're running auto-detection the new tracking reports update will have already have been run for that turn before you added the extra line to the text file. If you're running manual updates of files, you'll need to add the line to the latest ops report in the main WitP folder before you run the manual update.

Another, possibly easier, option is to close the utility and then rename (just in case you want to revert to them later) the JTA.dat and/or ATA.dat files in the scenario folder under the main WitP SAVE folder. Next time the utility starts it'll recognise that the tracking data doesn't exist and will then trawl through the complete combined ops/combat reports to pick up any info it can find. Hopefully your added line will then show in the tracked assets section as well.

Bodhi

(in reply to Knavey)
Post #: 295
RE: WitP Utility - updated (12/06/2005) - 8/31/2005 5:57:04 PM   
patrickl

Hi Bodhi,

Just downloaded and installed your utility but don't know how to launch the utility and get the utility screen. Thanks.

Cancel that! Just realised the utility programe is listed under my computer>program files how silly of me. Now I can see launch the utlity and I must say I am impressed with your manual. Need to spend some time. Thanks! I have created a shortcut on desktop.

< Message edited by patrickl -- 8/31/2005 6:16:52 PM >

(in reply to Bodhi)
Post #: 296
RE: WitP Utility - update available - 8/31/2005 10:27:33 PM   
jvgfanatic

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lord_Calidor

Two other map things I'd like to see:

The wheel used for zoom if possib. :) and right-click and hold on an empty space will allow the user to drag the map.

and

Somehow vector arrows or tiny icons representing direction of travel of a tf. If multiple tf's travelling in a hex arrows can be done appropriately. I can draw this up in Photoshop if you'd like to see some ideas.

< Message edited by jvgfanatic -- 8/31/2005 10:29:02 PM >

(in reply to Bodhi)
Post #: 297
RE: WitP Utility - update available - 9/1/2005 12:34:11 AM   
Bodhi

quote:

ORIGINAL: jvgfanatic

The wheel used for zoom if possib. :) and right-click and hold on an empty space will allow the user to drag the map.

Zoom will probably be implemented after it appears in WitP.

quote:

13/0/32005 Update

Fixed two missed types of operations reports:
- Aircraft attacking subs
- Aircraft sighting unnamed ships with only direction noted (not speed)

Fixed missed coastwatcher sightings (added in edit)

Added extra ways to scroll the map
- keyboard scroll keys
- mouse wheel - right mouse button switches axis of scroll
- click and hold centre mouse button (mouse wheel button), then move mouse to scroll

Status bar now gives the coords of the hex under the mouse cursor

Status bar now displays the program version number

quote:

Somehow vector arrows or tiny icons representing direction of travel of a tf. If multiple tf's travelling in a hex arrows can be done appropriately. I can draw this up in Photoshop if you'd like to see some ideas.

See earlier on this page.

quote:

quote:

#Ships   Speed Knts
  1          1 
  3          5
  6         10    
  9         15
  12        20
  15        25

Bodhi

(in reply to jvgfanatic)
Post #: 298
Yet Another Suggestion - 9/1/2005 2:53:55 AM   
Reg

Is there any way to filter combat/sighting reports by geographic region?

The reason I ask is that after a while (if you are tracking reports for a long time period), the number of reports gets rather large. I know you can sort the report lists by date and by X and Y coordinates but in these cases the list is interspersed by reports from all across the Pacific.

It would be nice if you just display reports for an area, (for example Malaya or Wake island) so you easily keep track of what is happening in a localised campaign. I suppose the best way to implement this could be to specify a central point (or cursor position) and include all reports generated within a specified distance from this reference point.

I don't think I would apply the filter to tracking reports associated with individual ships (except perhaps limit tracked ships to ones seen in the area of interest).

Great utility by the way. I absolutely love it...

< Message edited by Reg -- 9/1/2005 3:01:26 AM >

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to Bodhi)
Post #: 299
RE: Yet Another Suggestion - 9/1/2005 5:01:00 AM   
Bodhi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Reg

Is there any way to filter combat/sighting reports by geographic region?

No, not in the current version.

quote:

The reason I ask is that after a while (if you are tracking reports for a long time period), the number of reports gets rather large. I know you can sort the report lists by date and by X and Y coordinates but in these cases the list is interspersed by reports from all across the Pacific.

It would be nice if you just display reports for an area, (for example Malaya or Wake island) so you easily keep track of what is happening in a localised campaign. I suppose the best way to implement this could be to specify a central point (or cursor position) and include all reports generated within a specified distance from this reference point.

I don't think I would apply the filter to tracking reports associated with individual ships (except perhaps limit tracked ships to ones seen in the area of interest).

As part of the changes I'm making, I've been toying with the idea of implementing regions to which bases can be assigned for reporting purposes. There are still a number of issues I haven't been able to resolve so I'm not sure if I'll include this in the next release. One issue was with bases on, or near, a boundary: you'd often want to see info for bases close by but in the adjacent region(s). The simple idea of using a range filter around the selected base hadn't occured to me! Thanks, I think I'll take it up: it may even negate the need for regions altogether.

Bodhi

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: WitP Utility - update available Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI