Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Morale

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad >> Morale Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Morale - 9/5/2005 10:53:45 PM   
Pirke

Hi, after going through the first chapters for the first time I noticed the 5 morale of the SS squads. From what I understand sofar this is low in LnL, they 'shake' easily.

I always thought SS squads were elite troops and therefore a higher morale should be in order or does this lower morale represent the quality of the troops fighting in the bocage at that time?

Just asking in case you would like to use these SS squads for a scenario around the bridges leading to Arnhem, SS morale may be different there. The 101 or 82-nd were there as well if my memory serves me right.

Pirke.
Post #: 1
RE: Morale - 9/5/2005 11:46:40 PM   
WO1GKW

I don't think 5 is low for a squads morale in LnL. What are the SS leaders?

The 101st and the 82nd were in Market-Garden but south of Arnhem.
The 101st was the furthest south near Eindhoven and the 82nd was near Nijmgen. Those would make some great add on scenarios for BoH - put in the Brits 1st and 6th ABN then Arnhem and Pegasus Bridge would be a great expansion!

(in reply to Pirke)
Post #: 2
RE: Morale - 9/6/2005 11:50:21 AM   
CptWaspLuca

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pirke

Hi, after going through the first chapters for the first time I noticed the 5 morale of the SS squads. From what I understand sofar this is low in LnL, they 'shake' easily.

I always thought SS squads were elite troops and therefore a higher morale should be in order or does this lower morale represent the quality of the troops fighting in the bocage at that time?

Pirke.

Hi, in the LnL system a 5 morale indicates a regular, well trained unit. 6 morale units are elite troops, with superior elan and training. The SS fanaticism is best depicted with fanatical leaders and the special SS rally rule.

PS: I love Market Garden too, see Highway to the Reich, a wonderful Matrix game.

Cpt.Wasp

Member of the NWI staff (http://www.netwargamingitalia.net/)
Proud co-founder of Balena Ludens
(http://www.balenaludens.it/)

(in reply to Pirke)
Post #: 3
RE: Morale - 9/6/2005 1:05:21 PM   
markhwalker

quote:

Hi, in the LnL system a 5 morale indicates a regular, well trained unit. 6 morale units are elite troops, with superior elan and training. The SS fanaticism is best depicted with fanatical leaders and the special SS rally rule

Yes, Luca, you arecorrect. These SS are from the 17th Panzergrenadier. They are well-trained, well equipped units, but they were no match for the American Airborne. They do, however, have some unique characteristics that make them pretty tough. They can attempt to rally before melee (that's a big advantage) and may also rally one unit per rally phase who would otherwise NOT be eligible for rally. AND... they have the best firepower/range unit in the module... their 2-6-4. You have to put all these factors together. So, simply put, their morale should be thought of as a 5+.

On the other hand, the Fallschirmjager were as tough as nails. I've spoken to men who were there, and read even more. It was NOT the SS they feared, but rather the German Paras.

You could use these same troops for Market Garden scenarios. I haven't researched that, so I don't know... those SS might be morale 6. Hard to say, some folks just get all weak-kneed when they talk about SS. Not me... bottom line, they lost.

Best,

Mark

(in reply to CptWaspLuca)
Post #: 4
RE: Morale - 9/6/2005 10:54:58 PM   
Pirke

Thanks for the responses. I didn't read ahead so didn't notice the other advantages yet.

When I was talking about the bridges to Arnhem I was thinking about Veghel for instance. Don't know if it was SS there though, could be regular germans. Something around those bridges would add some additional value to the bridge board in Boh without having to add another module to LnL.

Pirke.

(in reply to markhwalker)
Post #: 5
RE: Morale - 9/7/2005 3:20:55 AM   
WO1GKW

Pirke,
Sorry I didn't realize where you were from - I'm sure you are more familiar with the Market Garden Battlefields than most! The Veghel idea is a good one - My BoH came today and I can see what you mean about using what is in the box and the bridge map. Run with it!

(in reply to Pirke)
Post #: 6
RE: Morale - 9/7/2005 4:43:34 PM   
markhwalker

Yeah, that bridge map is fun.

You might want to try out "Call of Duty."

Best,

Mark

(in reply to WO1GKW)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad >> Morale Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI