Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

some questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> some questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
some questions - 9/2/2005 5:40:16 PM   
El_Homo

I´m a newbie to Puresim and just finished my first season (2004, real teams, real players). I looked over the league and got some questions:

1. I see lots of lefty batter hitting better against LHP then against RHP and righty batter hitting much better against RHP then against LHP? The same for pitcher. Are R/L splits not considered in PS?

2. RC/27, for what exactly do you adjust? I have Bonds with 6.22 RC/27 but I get 11.13 using the formula by Bill James.

3. I noticed that the top15 in SB alone had more SB then the 2004 NL in reality?

4. Derek "Groundball" Lowe had 38 HR allowed on the season. G/F is not in the game?

5. J. Jennings and S. Estes were 2 of the best pitcher avoiding the long ball (10 and 11). The problem: both play for Colorado and gave up 27+ HR in real life in 2004. Do parks have different effects in PS?

I hope you are not mad after all of this questions but I need this to optimize my strategy. I lost the AL East to the Yankees and next time I want to beat them!

El_Homo
Post #: 1
RE: some questions - 9/6/2005 5:25:57 PM   
El_Homo

Anyone?

(in reply to El_Homo)
Post #: 2
RE: some questions - 9/6/2005 9:30:53 PM   
DonBraswell

I don't have the answer to your question. Wish I could help. Must have something to do with park effects.
Don

(in reply to El_Homo)
Post #: 3
RE: some questions - 9/6/2005 9:58:55 PM   
dnelms

I may be WAY off here... but as good as the PS engine is, too equate real life stats with what is genrated in a season of simming is not that realistic. It can be close, but not exact. Also, unless you are playing in the park (if designed for PS) that the team in real-lifde played for, stats would be off.

(in reply to DonBraswell)
Post #: 4
RE: some questions - 9/6/2005 10:35:31 PM   
Frozen Stiffer

I too may be a bit off, and I'm not claiming to be an expert, but...

I've read many times in various posts and help screens that a player may not perform exactly as they did in real life. Their stats almost "guide" or "suggest" to the game what that person is capable of, but with so many variables, there's no way to accurately predict how someone is going to do.

For example, in a real life game, pitcher X made a bad pitch that batter Y hit for a grand slam and increased his RBIs for the year by 4. In PureSim, that same pitcher may not make that pitch and the batter likely won't hit it and in the end, their RBI total would be 4 short. Multiply that by every at-bat or every pitch and there you have it- a whole mob of variables. Remeber, this game is a baseball simulator, it's not a History Replaying Program.

"It ain't braggin' if you can do it."

-Hall of Fame pitcher Jerome 'Dizzy' Dean

(in reply to dnelms)
Post #: 5
RE: some questions - 9/6/2005 11:20:19 PM   
El_Homo

First of all thank you very much for the answeres!

But my question was not about Replay/Career and not about exact stats. I know very well that Manny in PS will not get exactly the number of HR like in real life. And his Avg will not be the same as in real life. That is not the question and that was never my question! Please re-read them, I would love to get some answeres because who wants the Yankees win again against me?

(in reply to Frozen Stiffer)
Post #: 6
RE: some questions - 9/7/2005 12:56:47 AM   
Sonny

quote:

ORIGINAL: El_Homo

I´m a newbie to Puresim and just finished my first season (2004, real teams, real players). I looked over the league and got some questions:

1. I see lots of lefty batter hitting better against LHP then against RHP and righty batter hitting much better against RHP then against LHP? The same for pitcher. Are R/L splits not considered in PS?

2. RC/27, for what exactly do you adjust? I have Bonds with 6.22 RC/27 but I get 11.13 using the formula by Bill James.

3. I noticed that the top15 in SB alone had more SB then the 2004 NL in reality?

4. Derek "Groundball" Lowe had 38 HR allowed on the season. G/F is not in the game?

5. J. Jennings and S. Estes were 2 of the best pitcher avoiding the long ball (10 and 11). The problem: both play for Colorado and gave up 27+ HR in real life in 2004. Do parks have different effects in PS?

I hope you are not mad after all of this questions but I need this to optimize my strategy. I lost the AL East to the Yankees and next time I want to beat them!

El_Homo

The fact that the game keeps different stats for batters vs LHP and RHP would seem to indicate it is considered in the game. However, I too saw that many a LHB had better averages vs LHP - far more than you would expect if the it really makes a difference in the game.

From glancing over the game it does not appear that pitchers are rated for ground balls vs fly balls. Same appears to be the case for homeruns allowed. That said, I have only managed one fantasy season so I have no real stats with which to compare.

Of course these are not official answers - just my observations. You seem to have come to the same conclusions also.

Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "

(in reply to El_Homo)
Post #: 7
RE: some questions - 9/7/2005 1:07:29 AM   
Frozen Stiffer

Hey Sonny, I've just gotten underway with the 5th season of my simmed association. If you can direct me to where I should look, I would be happy to share any information. It's a very young association at only 5 years, but perhaps it could give a little more insight than just 1?

"It ain't braggin' if you can do it."

-Hall of Fame pitcher Jerome 'Dizzy' Dean

(in reply to Sonny)
Post #: 8
RE: some questions - 9/7/2005 2:01:57 AM   
Sonny

quote:

ORIGINAL: Frozen Stiffer

Hey Sonny, I've just gotten underway with the 5th season of my simmed association. If you can direct me to where I should look, I would be happy to share any information. It's a very young association at only 5 years, but perhaps it could give a little more insight than just 1?

If you are not managing you may not notice some of these things. And like I said I have no stats against which I can compare. Is you association a fantasy or real one? If it is fantasy then all you can do is just guess at what you think things should be. If you are playing a real association then you can compare how many HRs, for example a pitcher gave up IRL and (if you use that same pitcher reasonably close to real life) see what you come up with.

The LHB vs LHP is a little trickier because some batters do better against same side pitching IRL. Though what I saw seemed to be too many same side batters doing too well. No hard stats - just my impressions. Maybe I just did not notice some of the more obscure players and only remembered the good ones, which would give a false impression.

Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "

(in reply to Frozen Stiffer)
Post #: 9
RE: some questions - 9/7/2005 5:26:17 PM   
puresimmer

quote:

Splits are implemented. If you look at a broader sample you should see this exhibited.

quote:

On PSPN RC27 is calculated as follows:

dVal = ((Hits + BB) * TB) / (AB + BB)

da = (dVal * ((27 * NumGamesPlayed))) / (2 * NumGamesPlayed)
db = (AB - (Hits + SAC + CS))

RC27 = da/db

quote:

I think steals may be a little extreme on the high end when modeling real players. I'll look into this more...

quote:

Unfortunately there is insufficient data available in Lahman to auto-model G/F for pithers. That said, pitchers that don't give up a lot of gopher balls usually model ok in PureSim.

quote:

Yes park factors play a big role. Fence distance, Fence height, Altitude, temperature and weather all play a role in determining the play result (See the edit ball park feature).

Developer, PureSim Baseball

(in reply to El_Homo)
Post #: 10
RE: some questions - 9/7/2005 5:57:56 PM   
El_Homo

I´m at work so I will test it tonight but are ballpark factors automaticly enabled? Because in my real player, real teams league I saw no differences.

El_Homo

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 11
RE: some questions - 9/7/2005 11:32:51 PM   
Amaroq

quote:

If you look at real-life stats, you'll be able to find lots of examples of those also. Typically, a single season's splits are pretty far from statistically significant, and those stats that broadcasters love (batting .428 lifetime against this pitcher, hitting .092 with runners in scoring position during day games this year) are almost never statistically significant. As Shaun says, you'll need to broaden your sample and look over a much larger pool to see the advantage typically quoted for splits. Also, keep in mind that in PureSim, different players are affected by the split differently - some are almost equally capable from either side, and others are highly affected.

quote:

It feels to me like G/F is present in the game - with fictional players anyways I do notice some that give up more than others. So it may be a simple import problem - and in this case, its probably a ballpark problem.

quote:

You are not using the 'real' parks, according to your post - you specified 'real teams, real players', but if you haven't done the work to research the real park dimensions and edit the parks to match, you will find that some of the teams have very unrealistic ballparks which are giving you unrealistic numbers.

I would expect that, when you look at the parks, you will find a 250-foot fence for the park that Lowe is playing it, and a very deep fence and/or high wall in Colorado.

(in reply to El_Homo)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> some questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI