Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

First Impressions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad >> First Impressions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
First Impressions - 9/7/2005 4:03:51 PM   
Magua

Wow. It's big. There's a lot, and the graphics are top motch. In fact, I would say that the counters are the best I have ever seen. They are handsome, yet clean and simple -- the art does not overwhelm their practicality.

If I had any suggestion, graphically, it would be that the heavy lines and and halos around the hexes on the map boards are too heavy, and tend to obscure the beautiful art underneath. I might go a little lighter with the lines and dots, and dispense with the halos altogether.

Aside from that, I am really impressed with what I see, and so far, feel I have gotten my money's worth, at the very least.

More later. Yay!
Post #: 1
RE: First Impressions - 9/7/2005 7:07:40 PM   
Maximillion

I love what I see. I'm thrilled that somebody is finally putting a bit of old-fashioned "quality" back into the work. True, it means for a higher-priced game, but for a few games a year, I'm willing to make the trade-off.

A few nit-picks:

The cards are gorgeous, but the pictures are kind of goofy-looking. More problematic is the fact that these card don't seem to punch out well, and don't appear to be the same size as plastic playing cards. That means no card sleeves, which would make the issues with the card stock irrelevant.

The box seems a little frail, and it looks like some of the glossy covering is starting to peel off already. Not a big deal, since I don't plan to Ebay the game, but I am a little concerned about long-term wear-and-tear on the box.

I think it's a little confusing to produce a rulebook that mixes together with previous LnL games. It makes sense if you have all the games in the series and want to use one reference cards for all the games, but it's a little odd to see references to ARVN units and helicopters in a WW II game.

I'll echo the previous comments about the map. I like the white shading, but it works much better on the counters where it is almost imperceptably subtle. On the map it really obscures the nice artwork of the terrain.

The counters are spectacular. At first I was annoyed that picking up the sheet they seemed to want to fall out of it immediately, but then I recalled the annoyance I've had from previous games where I had to force counters out of sheets with a pair of scissors. The cutting process used to make these was really top-notch, and the artwork is great.

I won't get my first game in until the weekend, but my initial reaction is very positive.

< Message edited by Maximillion -- 9/7/2005 7:11:56 PM >

(in reply to Magua)
Post #: 2
RE: First Impressions - 9/7/2005 9:44:28 PM   
licinius

I HATE the boards. Sorry.

The hexes are too intrusive, especially the dots in the middle of the hexes. And all I see also is the hexes big awful black-and-white borders.

More muted graphics for these would have been great. To get rid of the dots, even better (oh come on! We can figure out where the center of a hex is without help!!!).

Not a game I'll buy because of this.

(in reply to Maximillion)
Post #: 3
RE: First Impressions - 9/7/2005 11:34:13 PM   
David Heath

quote:

ORIGINAL: licinius

I HATE the boards. Sorry.

The hexes are too intrusive, especially the dots in the middle of the hexes. And all I see also is the hexes big awful black-and-white borders.

More muted graphics for these would have been great. To get rid of the dots, even better (oh come on! We can figure out where the center of a hex is without help!!!).

Not a game I'll buy because of this.

Hi

I at first felt the same way but once you start playing on the maps you really do not notice them at all. I find it kind of like watching a Widescreen movie on your TV. At first it was a pain but after you watch for a while you do not notice it.

David

(in reply to licinius)
Post #: 4
RE: First Impressions - 9/8/2005 12:00:55 AM   
AlvinS

My game arrived this afternoon.

As others have mentioned, this is a huge game. I also own the Vietnam edition along with Anzac Attack, and I must say the quality of all the games are top notch.

I like the way the scenario cards are printed in this edition, everything is great. I am already looking forward to the next title.

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." ---Mark Twain

Naval Warfare Simulations

AlvinS

(in reply to David Heath)
Post #: 5
RE: First Impressions - 9/8/2005 2:31:52 AM   
Magua

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Heath

Hi

I at first felt the same way but once you start playing on the maps you really do not notice them at all. I find it kind of like watching a Widescreen movie on your TV. At first it was a pain but after you watch for a while you do not notice it.

David

And this is a good thing because? Why during testing, if one thought it was a "pain" would one not change it immediately?

Most of the nicest game maps I've seen have been produced with great care to make the hexagon grid as subtle as possible. It simply does not need to jump off the map at you. And besides, as everyone here seems to agree so far, the heavy black lines and halos obscure the fantastic artwork underneath. So why not use a grid that you do not notice from the outset, rather than one we have to get used to?

You guys have the art. Why not take a look at a couple of the maps with a more subtle grid and smaller dots, and see how it looks and works. I guarrantee it will look better, and I'd bet there would be no reduction in utility.

Anyway, as mentioned above, all-in-all it's a really nice package, and I thank all those who worked so hard to put it together, and to Matrix for getting my copy to me as quickly as they did.

Done. Now it's time to break it in.

(in reply to David Heath)
Post #: 6
RE: First Impressions - 9/8/2005 2:56:13 AM   
Rael

Both of my copies arrived today and all I can say is Awesome!!!
well worth the wait. I thought FH had set a high standard but BOH
is the best.

BTW,why is the SS hero doing the Curly Shufflenauk nauk nauk
wooo wooo wooo

< Message edited by Rael -- 9/8/2005 2:57:55 AM >

(in reply to Magua)
Post #: 7
RE: First Impressions - 9/8/2005 5:09:21 AM   
biggdork

Finally!

The box arrived yesterday, and I couldn't have been more pleased. I was expecting another LnL:FH-style box and components and was blown away by the size of BoH. Very nice! Some one off thoughts:

- Counters are spectacular.
- Cards a bit disappointing, but only because everything else is GREAT! Flimsy, oversized and dark, but also rarely used in gameplay, so I'll let it slide!.
- Board grid is rather heavy, but under different lighting conditions (no joke), as well as a familiarity with the game, makes the lines fade out somewhat. The board graphics are really nice, would like to see them more at first glance, rather than HEX GRID!
- The rules translate really well to the WWII setting, never really like the 'Nam much, BoH feels "right"!

In the middle of playing my 1.5th solo mission (the cat screwed up the .5!), and it is exciting! Can't think of the name, but it's the one with just infantry and SW's, Fallshirmjagers vs. Airborne, need to take 5 houses to win. Great game so far. Intense house to house fighting with the Ami's needing to take some chances to win! Fun!

(in reply to Rael)
Post #: 8
RE: First Impressions - 9/8/2005 5:22:52 AM   
Adam Parker

quote:

ORIGINAL: biggdork

In the middle of playing my 1.5th solo mission (the cat screwed up the .5!)...

Guess that's the equivalent of a DX Diag conflict huh?

Board games don't have bugs.

They have mammals

(in reply to biggdork)
Post #: 9
RE: First Impressions - 9/8/2005 3:12:06 PM   
Ichibrothers

ASL, but it still applies:

http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/mantis/ASL/FOBA.htm

(in reply to Adam Parker)
Post #: 10
RE: First Impressions - 9/8/2005 5:37:39 PM   
markhwalker

Thanks, everyone. Try playing Medal of Honor... I want to here what you think.

Halos... I love the halos. Gotta have the halos.

Best,

Mark

(in reply to Ichibrothers)
Post #: 11
RE: First Impressions - 9/8/2005 7:27:50 PM   
HomeFries

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ichibrothers

ASL, but it still applies:

http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/mantis/ASL/FOBA.htm

OMG! ROFLMAOPIP!

That is hilarious (and very true).

“Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.”
― Robert A. Heinlein

(in reply to Ichibrothers)
Post #: 12
RE: First Impressions - 9/9/2005 2:28:33 AM   
Magua

quote:

ORIGINAL: markhwalker

Best,

Mark

So much for the appreciation of feedback.

(in reply to markhwalker)
Post #: 13
RE: First Impressions - 9/9/2005 9:36:18 AM   
drunkninjauk

The cards are just terrible. Everything else great!

(in reply to Magua)
Post #: 14
RE: First Impressions - 9/9/2005 11:55:11 AM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: Magua

quote:

ORIGINAL: markhwalker

Best,

Mark

So much for the appreciation of feedback.

You don´t understand Mark's humor yet

(in reply to Magua)
Post #: 15
RE: First Impressions - 9/9/2005 3:50:20 PM   
Magua

Ah. Okay then. I'll take that to mean that I seriously misunderstood the response, something my wife accuses me of all the time.

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 16
RE: First Impressions - 9/10/2005 5:24:26 PM   
thoth69

Still reading the rules, but I thought I'd throw in my 1st impression as well:

• The counters are gorgeous, and well made, although one of my sheets is a little off-center to the left.
  • I've never seen German camo in the chosen colors--neither the SS nor the Fallschirmjager. Is the SS camo supposed to be pea dot?
  • Cards are of a quality inconsistent with the game's price and the artwork looks distorted and stretched--almost like a funhouse mirror
  • Maps would be better with subtler grid lines but the current grid doesn't bother me nearly as much as it seems to bother others
  • Rules are great, but they have some strange typos and errors: the combat example that pits Germans against VC for instance

Despite my perfectionist gripes, I'd say that if the cards were better this game would be a 9 out of 10 in terms of production quality. Thanks for a great game.

SD

(in reply to Magua)
Post #: 17
RE: First Impressions - 9/11/2005 1:21:07 AM   
Larac

Mark you may need them, but I can not tell what is in a hex at times.

Please give us some way, A DL, perhaps a way to buy maps that does not have this all consuming hex layout.

I find the maps almost unusable.

please help us that it really gets in the way of the game.

Lee

(in reply to markhwalker)
Post #: 18
RE: First Impressions - 9/11/2005 9:06:03 PM   
Deadrise

Great game,

I love the maps because they are mounted, I really dislike mapsheets. I "will" by new subdued hex grid maps if made available

Nice counters both art work and size.

Good rule set, not a work in progress like another game system I wasted way to much money on.

Box graphics are already lifting of the cardboard :(

Overall very satisfied

Thanks Mark

John

(in reply to Magua)
Post #: 19
RE: First Impressions - 9/13/2005 6:09:16 PM   
crabe tambour

I just recieved the game today. It's incredible. All is great. Matrix did a great job. This new standard will be hard to surpass... Today, it's Christmas.
I 'll send soon an AAR

(in reply to Deadrise)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad >> First Impressions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI