Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Wellingtons and torpedo's

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Wellingtons and torpedo's Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Wellingtons and torpedo's - 9/13/2005 10:57:23 PM   
wild_Willie2

Hi guys, does anybody know just WHEN Wellingtons use torps and when they use bombs on naval attack?.

I have seen mixed attacks, so is there a dice roll witch determines what they are carrying?.

It can't be a combat animation/report error, because I have seen them using torps A LOT....

So anybody ?

Attachment (1)

In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.
Post #: 1
RE: Wellingtons and torpedo's - 9/13/2005 11:11:36 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: wild_Willie2

Hi guys, does anybody know just WHEN Wellingtons use torps and when they use bombs on naval attack?.

I have seen mixed attacks, so is there a dice roll witch determines what they are carrying?.

It can't be a combat animation/report error, because I have seen them using torps A LOT....

Range (Normal/Extended) + dice roll (same as for any other level bomber capable of carrying torpedoes) ...

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to wild_Willie2)
Post #: 2
RE: Wellingtons and torpedo's - 9/13/2005 11:14:16 PM   
String

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

Range (Normal/Extended) + dice roll (same as for any other level bomber capable of carrying torpedoes) ...

Leo "Apollo11"

the trick here however is.. that the wellington isn't really capable of carrying a torpedo

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 3
RE: Wellingtons and torpedo's - 9/13/2005 11:19:40 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: String

the trick here however is.. that the wellington isn't really capable of carrying a torpedo

Well... in mod's everyting is possible...

BTW, look what US used at Midway - some bombers carried torpedoes for the first and only time...

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to String)
Post #: 4
RE: Wellingtons and torpedo's - 9/13/2005 11:46:26 PM   
wild_Willie2

Well, the problem is that the wellington is NOT capable of carrying a torpedo. I am playing a stock scenario under 1.602.
I have seen this before, is the wellington the ONLY allied bomber capable of carrying a torp ?? (not counting the beaufort)...

In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 5
RE: Wellingtons and torpedo's - 9/13/2005 11:49:03 PM   
Terminus

Well, it's not like the combat reports have been wrong before (he said with just a touch of sarcasm)...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

Post #: 6
RE: Wellingtons and torpedo's - 9/13/2005 11:56:45 PM   
wild_Willie2

Run some turns yourself, maybe that will convince you...

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 7
RE: Wellingtons and torpedo's - 9/14/2005 12:09:16 AM   
Terminus

Sorry man, but in none of the turns in my currently only Allied game (up to August 1943) have I ever seen a Wimpy drop a torp. I can see your combat summary, but I'm just saying that the combat summary has been known to be in error before.

Post #: 8
RE: Wellingtons and torpedo's - 9/14/2005 12:16:34 AM   
wild_Willie2

Not in disrespect, but the problem is that you probably have never used the Wellington in the anti shipping role correctly. I am going to try it in my current PBEM (sneaking some Wellingtons into china to hit a convoy at 7 hexes).

I just ran a head to head turn and a AP hit by a "torp" had 35 sys and 35 flood damage, going to run a test in a few seconds to see what well happen to the damage....

Be right back

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 9
RE: Wellingtons and torpedo's - 9/14/2005 12:18:12 AM   
testarossa

Combat report is messed up.

Torpedo carrying planes are bombing and bomb-carrying planes are dropping torpedoes. If you try homogenous strikes you'll see that if the plane carries bombs it can't drop torpedoes.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 10
RE: Wellingtons and torpedo's - 9/14/2005 12:37:01 AM   
wild_Willie2

Ok, just ran a turn...
Mogami got hit by 3 torps (wellington launched).... IF the bombers carried 500lbs bombs they would have simply BOUNCHED of the armour....

Next test YAMATO....

Attachment (1)

(in reply to testarossa)
Post #: 11
RE: Wellingtons and torpedo's - 9/14/2005 12:42:21 AM   
Terminus

quote:

Not in disrespect,

NOT IN DISRESPECT?!?!? How dare you, Sir? I demand satisfaction! Waterpistols at 20 paces, tomorrow at dawn!

Post #: 12
RE: Wellingtons and torpedo's - 9/14/2005 12:43:12 AM   
wild_Willie2

ok, just checked the weapons loadout of the wellingtons used...

One squadron had a torp listed as a weapon..... Simply said I WAS BUGGED......

Got the good old "wrong weapons upgrade" bug....

I was wrong YOU where right.....

Post #: 13
RE: Wellingtons and torpedo's - 9/14/2005 12:43:44 AM   
Mike Solli

41 hexes to Rabaul? Where the hell is she? She ain't gonna make it.

Post #: 14
RE: Wellingtons and torpedo's - 9/14/2005 6:15:43 AM   
m10bob

You guys just THINK they were torpedoes..
Some of the Wellingtons were really fitted with some of those "bouncing barrel" bombs (as used by the Dam Busters)..
(Now THAT's what I call skip bombing !!!)

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 15
RE: Wellingtons and torpedo's - 9/14/2005 6:51:21 AM   
tigercub

how do you do a screen shot?

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life

Post #: 16
RE: Wellingtons and torpedo's - 9/14/2005 7:18:40 AM   
Zebedee

quote:

ORIGINAL: tigercub

how do you do a screen shot?

I hit the 'print screen' button on my keyboard and then paste it into photoshop or even ms paint.

(in reply to tigercub)
Post #: 17
RE: Wellingtons and torpedo's - 9/14/2005 7:35:38 AM   
Ian R

By the way, how come the Beaufighter can't/never carries a torpedo.

The Beaufighter T.F. Mk. X was used as the replacement for the Beaufort.

See: http://www.aviation-history.com/bristol/beaufite.html

" The Beaufighter T.F.X was the final major production variant and passed through several important modification stages without any change in its Mark number. These included, in particular, the introduction of A.I.Mk.VIII radar in a "thimble" nose--this radar having been found suitable for ASV use--and a large dorsal fin (after a trial installation on a Beaufighter 11, T3032) to give the required directional stability and linked with an increase in elevator area to improve longitudinal stability. Before deliveries of the Beaufighter X could begin, a batch of sixty Beaufighter VIs with Hercules XVI engines and provision for torpedo-carrying was built. These were designated Beaufighter VI (I.T.F.)--interim torpedo fighter--and were converted to Mark Xs when more Hercules XVII engines became available. "

See also: http://www.compass.dircon.co.uk/Beaufighter.htm

There is a nice shot of an RAAF MkX (UK built) which operated in NG in 1944 at http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/1998/11/stuff_eng_profile_beau2.htm

"Bythe end of 1942 Mk VIC's were being completed with torpedo-carrying gear, this enabling them to replace RAF Coastal Command's Beauforts. The torpedoes - either the British 18-inch (45.7 cm) or the US 22.5-inch (57.2 cm) type - were carried externally, and Mk VIC's so modified were designated Mk VIC (ITF) 'interim torpedo fighters. The first successful torpedo attack by a Beaufighter came on 4 April 1943, when aircraft of 254 Squadron sank two supply ships off Norway.
In conjunction with 'torpedo fighter' development dive brakes were tested and soon introduced as an aid in low-level attacks.

To make the Beaufighter more suited to this low-altitude work a Hercules engine - the Mk XVII - was developed, achieving its peak power of 1,735 hp (1,294-kW) at 500 feet (152 metres). This was installed in the Mk VIC airframe to produce the Beaufighter TF (Torpedo Fighter) Mk X - known as the 'Torbeau'. A strike variant of the Torbeau without the torpedo gear was designated the 'Mk XIC'. "

"The RAAF in the South-West Pacific was initially equipped with Beaufighter Mk IC's. The urgent need for more aircraft to take part in anti-shipping missions led to plans for a Hercules-engined Mk VII to be built by the Australian Department of Aircraft Production, which was then engaged in the manufacture of Beauforts. However, fears that supplies of the Hercules engines could be disrupted led to proposals for the Mk VIII and Mk IX powered by Wright Double Cyclone engines.

Hercules availability was in fact maintained. The Australian Mk 21 powered by the Hercules XVIII entered service in 1944 and had a prominent role in the RAAF's support for the Allied advance into the East Indies. "

< Message edited by Ian R -- 9/14/2005 10:51:04 AM >

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to tigercub)
Post #: 18
RE: Wellingtons and torpedo's - 9/14/2005 9:12:07 AM   
castor troy

< Message edited by castor troy -- 9/14/2005 9:14:43 AM >

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 19
RE: Wellingtons and torpedo's - 9/14/2005 1:07:00 PM   
Ian R

And here: http://www.aviationtrivia.homestead.com/Beaufighter.html

you can hear one!

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 20
RE: Wellingtons and torpedo's - 9/14/2005 3:57:00 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

Well, the problem is that the wellington is NOT capable of carrying a torpedo. I am playing a stock scenario under 1.602.
I have seen this before, is the wellington the ONLY allied bomber capable of carrying a torp ?? (not counting the beaufort)...

Are you asking if any other Allied plane in the game can carry torpedoes, or in the actual war.

A-20's could and did carry torpedoes:
"The USAAC/AAF A-20A had 1,580hp R-2600-11's, and the A-20B was an experiment with remote-control turrents. The A-20C gained the 1,620hp R-2600-23's had 4x 0.3" fixed forward-firing guns in nose, one in the rear-belly position flexible twin 0.3"'s in rear of cockpit. Greater range was achieved with a bigger fuel tank and some aircraft benefitted from 2,000 lb torpedo mounting points. "

The Russians used them in this role. Here's a picture of a model:

EDIT: Caption (i thought was part of the pic) reads:
Douglas A-20G Havoc
51st Mine and Torpedo Air Regiment (MTAP), Soviet Naval Aviation, Baltic Sea Fleet, 1944-1945

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rtrapasso -- 9/14/2005 3:58:31 PM >

Post #: 21
RE: Wellingtons and torpedo's - 9/14/2005 4:02:46 PM   
rtrapasso

I forgot to mention B-25s could and did carry and launch torpedoes during the war in the Pacific (not all models, though). I mentioned this in a post way back some time, in a post about the use of "glide torpedoes" - launched from up high, glided some distance (miles), then hit the water (stripping off their attached cage/wing arrangement) then acted like regular torpedoes (which they were - just modified). B-25s launched these in combat (towards the end of the war). I believe B-25s could and did launch regular air-dropped torpedoes, also. They CERTAINLY (and routinely) launched air-dropped anti-sub homing torpedoes.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 22
RE: Wellingtons and torpedo's - 9/14/2005 4:34:13 PM   
Ian R

And didn't some B26's try torpedo bombing? (at Midway??)

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 23
RE: Wellingtons and torpedo's - 9/14/2005 4:36:02 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian R

And didn't some B26's try torpedo bombing? (at Midway??)

Didn't mention that cause someone already did (above) - it was a one-time thing (literally) - and didn't achieve any hits.

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 24
RE: Wellingtons and torpedo's - 9/14/2005 10:34:08 PM   
Chris21wen

Found this page with a pic of a Wellington being arm with a torp

http://www.nzetc.org/tm/scholarly/WH2-2Epi-fig-WH2-2Epi-e019b.html

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 25
RE: Wellingtons and torpedo's - 9/14/2005 11:02:07 PM   
Nikademus

I remember this was hased out during UV days but i need a refresher. when exactly did the Beufighter/Beufort start carrying torpedoes in the Pacific and like the B-25, was it a infrequent thing or regular?

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 26
RE: Wellingtons and torpedo's - 9/14/2005 11:19:41 PM   
Feinder

As I recall (as in, the UV discussions), it the Oz sqdns that ended up carrying them, so they were added.

But I could be wrong. Happens all the time. Just ask my wife.

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 27
RE: Wellingtons and torpedo's - 9/14/2005 11:35:03 PM   
Nikademus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feinder

As I recall (as in, the UV discussions), it the Oz sqdns that ended up carrying them, so they were added.

-F-

I'll need her email or phone number

I cant help but think that allowing the Beufort to carry a torp from the get-go seems off, especially in the early logsitcal hell days in Oz.

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 28
RE: Wellingtons and torpedo's - 9/15/2005 12:29:58 AM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feinder

-F-

I'll need her email or phone number

I cant help but think that allowing the Beufort to carry a torp from the get-go seems off, especially in the early logsitcal hell days in Oz.

The Beaufort was torpedo bomber from its' inception...
http://www.compass.dircon.co.uk/Beaufort.htm

This link also gives good details ref the aforementioned Beaufighter and it's use as a torpedo bomber !!!!!!
Same link also gives details of the PBY Catalina using the torpedo "frequently", (THEIR wording)......

< Message edited by m10bob -- 9/15/2005 12:41:03 AM >

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 29
RE: Wellingtons and torpedo's - 9/15/2005 12:34:29 AM   
Nikademus

Yes, i know the Beufort could carry one.....the question is, did it operate with torpedoes regularily in the Pacific and if so, when.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Wellingtons and torpedo's Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI