Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Additional author info on the postings

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Additional author info on the postings Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Additional author info on the postings - 2/12/2001 10:37:00 AM   
KG Erwin

I think all of us appreciate the additional info given for authors of posts, but I would suggest one addition: how about showing where the author is from, if he or she has made the info available? I noticed this on the wargamer forum, and I thought it was a good idea. ------------------ "Welcome back, my friends, to the show that never ends, we're so glad you could attend, come inside, come inside..." Emerson, Lake & Palmer

Post #: 1
- 2/12/2001 3:03:00 PM   
bpolarsk

quote:

Originally posted by KG Erwin: I think all of us appreciate the additional info given for authors of posts, but I would suggest one addition: how about showing where the author is from, if he or she has made the info available? I noticed this on the wargamer forum, and I thought it was a good idea.
I am from Belgium and Ikka is from Finland, but has did not post for one day, I suppose he has been swallowed by a polar bear.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 2
- 2/13/2001 1:58:00 AM   
Teppo Saarinen

quote:

Originally posted by bpolarsk: I am from Belgium and Ikka is from Finland, but has did not post for one day, I suppose he has been swallowed by a polar bear.
Probably not unless he works in the zoo, since it's closed for winter (I think). Seriously, what purpose would knowing where someone comes from serve? Cheers, Teppo ------------------ Being in opposition harms your health. -International Association of Juntas & Dictatorships

"I think, so I think I am." (Err... probably...)

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 3
- 2/13/2001 6:00:00 AM   
KG Erwin

Showing the location for a posting author helps highlight the international nature of the forum. It isn't essential, but neither is showing the number of posts and when they registered. I just think it's a cool idea.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 4
- 2/13/2001 6:24:00 AM   
David Heath

Some people want to keep that private and I see no real need for that. At this time.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 5
- 2/13/2001 11:14:00 AM   
Ed Cogburn

quote:

Originally posted by David Heath: Some people want to keep that private and I see no real need for that. At this time.
Look at KG's first post, David. He says "if he or she has made that info available". Nobody is saying it should be a requirement, and frankly it would be much more interesting then knowing when they registered on the Matrix forums. We are only talking about the home country, no one is talking about a street address or anything. For those of us who are not concerned about letting others know what their home country is, let us have this option if the forum software has this capability.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 6
- 2/13/2001 11:42:00 AM   
chief

Hey guys if you want to know where a person is from (and he/she wants you to know) just click on who and his profile is right there for you to read, it's been there all the time. ------------------ Sm th Sailing...chief [This message has been edited by chief (edited February 12, 2001).]

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 7
- 2/13/2001 5:15:00 PM   
Ed Cogburn

quote:

Originally posted by chief: Hey guys if you want to know where a person is from (and he/she wants you to know) just click on who and his profile is right there for you to read, it's been there all the time.
Thats what I get for only checking David's ID. He apparently left the location of his profile empty.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 8
- 2/19/2001 1:33:00 PM   
KG Erwin

Alright, if it's available in the profile, then put it on the board. No big deal. I'm not paranoid about having my home city on my postings--it's strictly a voluntary thing. Otherwise, leave it blank. The wargamer.com guys have added that info, and as far as I know, no one's complained. I STILL think it's a cool idea for this forum (sorry, David).

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 9
- 2/23/2001 10:31:00 PM   
Larry Holt

One of the really cool things about these forums is the nature of a virtual community. However, I by checking the locations on the profiles, I found that I live near another SPWaW fan and the personal interaction, as well as sharing hardcopy information has enhanced our gaming experience. ------------------ An old soldier but not yet a faded one. OK, maybe just a bit faded.

Never take counsel of your fears.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 10
- 3/12/2001 6:42:00 AM   
KG Erwin

Aargh, you have a new format, which is cool, but you STILL don't show the location of the forumer. To me, that's more important than the member number. I'm gonna have to try this request again--IF the members make their location available in their profiles, put it on the forum when they post. What's the big deal? Hey, I just noticed you added that field! Great--thanks a lot!

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 11
- 3/12/2001 6:53:00 AM   
KG Erwin

Yes, yes, YES! I LOVE the new format--thanks a bunch, guys, BUT...refer to my other topic on ratings...what the hell is THAT?

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Additional author info on the postings Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI