Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The First World War -The Complete Series

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> The First World War -The Complete Series Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The First World War -The Complete Series - 9/4/2005 2:33:22 AM   
Hanal

Awhile back, I mentioned that the old WWI CBS series WWI finally made it to DVD and it is a very good documentary. Others here have recommended the BBC series The Great War, but I do not have a multi region DVD player but I'm sure it is very good too...I just bought another series called, obviously, THE FIRST WORLD WAR and is based on the book by Dr. Hew Strachan. Now I have not had the time to watch it yet so I will offer an opinion once I sit through the 8 1/2 hour series, but I thought I would bring it to your attention in case you are interested in seeing it, or have done so already and so can give your views..........
Post #: 1
RE: The First World War -The Complete Series - 9/4/2005 4:46:08 AM   
wodin

Hew Strachen is a guru for WW1.

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 2
RE: The First World War -The Complete Series - 9/4/2005 4:53:15 PM   
Dirtdog20

I recieved it as a gift for my birthday. I have watched the first four episodes and they are ok. There is a lack of depth in the series that you get in the book.

My biggest complaint so far is the constant repeating of the "Big Bad Hun". If you listen to the narration, the Prussians/Germans had been planning the war for a long time and only by the grace of God did they not develop the Atom Bomb by 1918.

On the positive side the series does realise that the war was truely a World War. The film clips and archival work done for the series is top notch and the real reason you should get the series, especially if you game this period.

You mean that we gotta take a test after we read this stuff?!?

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 3
RE: The First World War -The Complete Series - 9/4/2005 5:56:22 PM   
Hanal

Thanks for the reply Dirtdog....I buy these documentaries in the hope that I see archival footage that is new to me, the narrarative, though important, is secondary.....It would be interesting if DVD's were produced which simply contained massive amounts of archive footage with a quick subtitle explaining what we are seeing and eliminate the need for voice overs.....compiliing all of the WWI and WWII film records from each belligerent, and preserving them on disc by theater, and in chronological order, would be a worthy project...

(in reply to Dirtdog20)
Post #: 4
RE: The First World War -The Complete Series - 9/8/2005 3:06:19 AM   
Big B

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirtdog20

I recieved it as a gift for my birthday. I have watched the first four episodes and they are ok. There is a lack of depth in the series that you get in the book.

My biggest complaint so far is the constant repeating of the "Big Bad Hun". If you listen to the narration, the Prussians/Germans had been planning the war for a long time and only by the grace of God did they not develop the Atom Bomb by 1918.

On the positive side the series does realise that the war was truely a World War. The film clips and archival work done for the series is top notch and the real reason you should get the series, especially if you game this period.

Were you referring to "THE FIRST WORLD WAR" based on the book by Dr. Hew Strachan?

Because the first mentioned CBS documentary "WORLD WAR ONE" was very even handed in it's treatment of Germany - I thought. In fact the only negative on Germany in the CBS series was about the Belgian atrocities, and it said "most of the stories weren't true, but Germany got a reputation that they never lived down - and a later generation of Germans lived up to".

B

(in reply to Dirtdog20)
Post #: 5
RE: The First World War -The Complete Series - 9/8/2005 5:45:24 AM   
Dirtdog20

quote:

ORIGINAL: Big B

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirtdog20

Were you referring to "THE FIRST WORLD WAR" based on the book by Dr. Hew Strachan?

Because the first mentioned CBS documentary "WORLD WAR ONE" was very even handed in it's treatment of Germany - I thought. In fact the only negative on Germany in the CBS series was about the Belgian atrocities, and it said "most of the stories weren't true, but Germany got a reputation that they never lived down - and a later generation of Germans lived up to".

B

B,

You are right. I was refering to the BBC series. I have never seen the CBS series.

To make the comparison with the CBS series the BBC series dosent even say that propoganda was very active in playing up atrocities in Belgium.

You mean that we gotta take a test after we read this stuff?!?

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 6
RE: The First World War -The Complete Series - 9/9/2005 5:22:42 AM   
Big B

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirtdog2

B,

You are right. I was refering to the BBC series. I have never seen the CBS series.

To make the comparison with the CBS series the BBC series dosent even say that propoganda was very active in playing up atrocities in Belgium.

Hey Dirtdog20,

You should (IMHO) really see the CBS documentary "World War One". The footage is great, the musical score is haunting, and the narration by Robert Ryan is outstanding!
I read earlier in this thread that some don't care for the narration on some of these videoes, and I can understand that - but this one is (to me) very different - and you (most everyone I think) would really appreciate it. Although somewhat American-centric (just a tad), I think it's THE best all-incompassing documentary ever made on WWI, and it was made in 1964 - when the vets were still around to consult.

Watch it - you won't be dissapointed.

B

(in reply to Dirtdog20)
Post #: 7
RE: The First World War -The Complete Series - 9/14/2005 2:47:48 AM   
RUPD3658

I have seen the whole thing on History Channel International. Great series!

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 8
RE: The First World War -The Complete Series - 9/23/2005 12:04:59 AM   
riley555a

Where would I buy BBC's The Great War on DVD for a Canada/U.S. region dvd player? I just spent like 20 mins googling it and couldn't find anything. I just finished watching that on t.v. and I really wanna buy it. Any links are greatly appreciated.

Pft,damn the aircraft, full speed ahead....WAIT!....

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 9
RE: The First World War -The Complete Series - 1/30/2006 8:53:19 PM   
steevodeevo

Hey riley

You can buy the BBC's The Great War at the BBC shop online, they will most certainly ship it to you - and its discounted at the moment

check out the link: http://www.bbcshop.com/invt/dd4745&bklist=%3Cvenda_bklist1%3E

and if that dont work just browse for it at www.bbcshop.com

(in reply to riley555a)
Post #: 10
RE: The First World War -The Complete Series - 1/31/2006 12:24:27 AM   
Hanal

The above link for the BBC series is for Region 2, so unless you have a multi region player, it will not work on standard NA players...

(in reply to steevodeevo)
Post #: 11
RE: The First World War -The Complete Series - 4/4/2006 12:39:11 AM   
Hanal

I think the BBC series has finally made it to the states and will be released tomorrow....it is narated by Anne Jackson.

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7020372

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 12
RE: The First World War -The Complete Series - 4/4/2006 11:23:37 AM   
wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: J P Falcon

I think the BBC series has finally made it to the states and will be released tomorrow....it is narated by Anne Jackson.

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7020372

Thats not the 60's documentary. Thats the one to get hold off. Everything else pales in comparison.

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 13
RE: The First World War -The Complete Series - 4/4/2006 6:58:12 PM   
Hanal

Well, not buying a documentary on WWI in order to wait for a UK Region 2 documentary that may never come to the states, makes no sense....for 20 bucks, I'll pick this one up.........

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 14
RE: The First World War -The Complete Series - 4/4/2006 8:52:45 PM   
wodin

Buy a chaep multi region DVD player. I had to. Got one for about £25.

The trouble is you will have to pay about £99 for the documentary on DVD!

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 15
RE: The First World War -The Complete Series - 4/4/2006 11:47:08 PM   
Hanal

I do not need another DVD player right now but when I do, that will be the direction to go.......

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 16
RE: The First World War -The Complete Series - 4/6/2006 11:36:27 PM   
The Dude

your DVD drive for your computer should be able to play it. If it needs new software you should be able to download it

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> The First World War -The Complete Series Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI