Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Improvements for Managers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Improvements for Managers Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Improvements for Managers - 9/24/2005 2:12:56 AM   
Amaroq

I've been thinking about "in-game management" recently, separate to Steely Glint's posts on the topic, and then I promised him I'd post on the subject if he didn't. I never got into PureSim's implementation of in-game management; there wasn't enough there to 'grab' me. I don't think I've played an in-game management computer game since the days of Earl Weaver and what was the SSI game? I'm not sure. I do play Statis-Pro baseball, the board game, but it feels too 'formulaic' to me.

Thinking about it, I've long had the sense that an "at-bat" based mechanic is a bit sterile for a 'management' simulation. In real baseball, you select strategies on each pitch - and the changing pitch counts affect the strategies you might want to select. Little things like whether the first baseman is holding a runner on first, or playing at the edge of the infield grass because the hitter is known for his ability to bunt for a base hit, or guarding the line, or positioned normally have measurable effects on the odds of the batter getting a hit, or getting a hit for extra bases, or being able to bunt for a single.

So, a game which did an "ideal" implementation of in-game management would need to present the user with the option of making strategic changes on each pitch. Some users wouldn't want this - it should probably be an 'option' which is user customizable. Some users would want to give a new strategy each pitch. Some would prefer the old stand-by of "I give one strategy for an at-bat." An intermediate point might be "I give one strategy which is in play until the count reaches something which invalidates it." For example, a 'bunt' strategy would be left in play until there were two strikes, then the user would be prompted for input again. A 'take' strategy makes sense only for one pitch. And, obviously, GM players would want to continue having the AI manage their games all around.

What would the ideal in-game management functionality be, on a pitch-by-pitch basis?

Batter:
- must swing
- be aggressive
- green light (use your discretion)
- swing for fly ball (sac fly)
- contact play (ground ball)
- protect the plate
- sit on a perfect pitch
- take
- show bunt but take
- bluff a bunt, then swing away
- bunt for sacrifice
- bunt for a hit

Runner:
- must steal on this pitch
- green light (steal if you feel like)
- run with the pitch
- run on contact
- hold on base

General baserunning:
- aggressive
- normal
- conservative
specifiable for each runner and each batter

Pitcher:
- right down broadway
- go after him
- nibble at the corners
- pitch around
- pitch out
- intentional walk
- pick off
- use your discretion

- pitch inside
- pitch away

- might also include pitch selection
- full windup vs stretch

Catcher:
- aggressive, tries pick-offs, throws out runner, etc
- normal, throws out runner if going
- conservative, throws out runner only if good chance of getting him
- defensive indifference (let runner steal 2nd)

Defensive positioning:
- for each player, 'deep', 'normal', 'close', 'in'.
- for each player, 'left', 'normal', 'right'
- for corner infielders, 'guarding the line', 'on bag'
- if runner on second, does SS or 2B hold runner?

Defensive plays:
- the rotation play, corners charging, as a bunt defense
- the shift (anti pull-hitters)

Defensive philosophy:
- aggressive (throw out lead runners, etc)
- normal
- passive (don't take chances, get sure out)

Obviously, these need to affect the outcome of each pitch. The closer an infielder is positioned to the plate, the more likely a ball hit in his direction is to get past him for a hit, but the more likely he'll be able to get runner out.

There would be a real interaction between the batter's instructions and the pitcher's instructions, which should be able to override the hitter's natural tendencies or the pitcher's natural tendencies. Different choices and different matchups would utilize different aspects of the players attribute range: you could turn even a great control pitcher into a walking machine by having him pitch around everybody, or turn a patient hitter into a strikeout machine by forcing him to swing at every pitch.

You'd be faced with decisions like "Do I want my hitter to shorten his swing and protect the plate with two strikes, or do I trust him with a green light?" "It's a three balls, no strikes count: do I put one right down broadway and hope he's taking the pitch, or do I continue to nibble and chance walking him?"

Obviously, throwing a first-pitch fastball right down broadway against a power hitter should have a good chance of yielding a home run.

Injuries should be affected also - a team playing very relaxed on the basepaths is less likely to suffer injury than one playing very aggressively; an infielder positioned 'deep' is a little less likely to be hurt than an infielder who is 'in'.

You'd have to have the AI utilizing these sorts of things, and reacting appropriately.

For example 'bluffing a bunt' on one pitch should result in the third baseman being positioned a little closer to the plate on the second pitch, which makes it just that much easier for the player to get a hit up the third base line. (A's third baseman Eric Chavez says he hates facing Ichiro, because you have to come in close to respect his bunting, but he can really rip one past you.) Its no use having a 'bluff the bunt' option if you can't use it to adjust the AI.

Likewise, the AI needs to be able to use each option, and use it well, otherwise a human player managing for his team will have a dramatic advantage.

I think it would play well with 'manager philosophies', e.g., giving each manager a discrete weighting towards different possibilities (and depending on score and situation, obviously) so that you would get a definite 'feel' from different managers: one manager using the bullpen like there's no tomorrow, another trusting his starters too long. One manager might feel very aggressive on the basepaths, while another is more conservative. You 'profile' the human manager, generating what you think of as his 'weights' if you were trying to model his behavior. As you generate data indicating which strategies are successful, 'young' managers entering the game emulate the successful managers of the past in some areas, while trying their own strategies in other areas.

Ideally, you might have different umpires with narrow or wide strike zones, giving you a sense of how frustrating it is to nibble on a narrow strike zone, etc.

'Control' would begin to affect the pitcher's location of pitch - if you said 'go after him', a poor control pitcher might turn that into a mistake pitch right down the middle, or might happen to turn it into a nibbling-at-the-corners pitch.

You'd also need a bunch more possible play outcomes.

Throwing errors are key - its one of the negative aspects of your catcher being aggressive, for example. He might throw it away on a pick off or a 'throw out runner' play. Likewise, the decision to have outfielders throw or not, one of the 'negatives' of attempting a throw should be the chance of a throwing error.

You'd need 'out stretching for a double' as an outcome, to discourage aggressive baserunning.

You'd want to have the 'triple play' possibility, as it usually would occur if the manager is 'sending the runners' with nobody out; it needs to be a possibility in that situation.

Likewise, the strike-em-out, throw-em-out double play needs to be a potential result for a 2-strike steal attempt.

The outfield "in" would be less likely to give up a single, and more likely to give up extra-base hits. The outfield "deep" would be more likely to give up singles, and less likely to give up extra-base hits. It should have the possibility of cutting off a triple (holding the runner to a double), and even cutting off a double (holding the runner to a single).

Different 'park effects' would become more important. I'd like to see the outfield walls have a large number more impacts on the game.

High, close: can turn a home run, triple, or double into a single. Can turn a pop fly into a home run. No possible triple.
High, normal: can turn a home run or triple into a double, can turn a deep fly into a home run
High, deep: can turn a home run, triple, or double into a deep fly out. Can turn a double into a triple. With poor-range fielder, can turn a triple into an inside-the-park home run.

Medium, close: can turn a double or triple into a home run. Can turn a pop fly into a home run. No possible triple.
Medium, normal: doesn't change anything
Medium, deep: can turn a home run, triple, or double into a deep fly out. Can turn a double into a triple. With poor-range fielder, can turn a triple into an inside-the-park home run.

Short, close: can turn just about anything hit to the outfield into a home run. Can turn a triple into a 'ground rule double'
Short, normal: Can turn a double or triple into a home run. Can turn a triple into a 'ground rule double'
Short, deep: can turn a home run, triple, or double into a deep fly out. Can turn a double into a triple. With poor-range fielder, can turn a triple into an inside-the-park home run.

It's a lot of work. I don't know if PureSim is the right game for it, and there are a lot of things I've glossed over: what the GUI would look like for this, whether it would remember your strategy from the last pitch or 'reset' each time, what the 'break-off' point for each strategy is (in terms of pitch counts, etc.)

It would be particularly hard to get the right percentages on each pitch - e.g., what's the percentage of pitches that are called strikes, swinging strikes, fouled off, and taken for a ball? These numbers certainly aren't available on a per-pitcher and per-batter basis from Lahman, and most baseball games reduce things to an 'at bat' granularity so that they can better achieve statistical reliability.

What are hitter's batting averages with two strikes against them? How does on base percentage change if the batter gives up a first-pitch strike? Tough to get 'right'.

But, that's what it would take, I think, to really put a game 'above the crowd' in terms of in-game management options.

That's a big mouthful - anybody want to post "What I would like added to PureSim, without the rewrite Amaroq's just posted?" I think somebody had done a very good post on that topic on the old forum, maybe somebody can bring it over?
Post #: 1
RE: Improvements for Managers - 9/24/2005 3:31:38 AM   
Steely Glint

Mal did this a couple of years back. I emailed to Shaun during the chat the other night.

I love all the managerial options, and they'd make for the best baseball game ever, but I'm not so sure that nested menus are the right way to implememt them. Plus for those of us who sometimes can't make up our minds I think that there should be an option to have the AI select the optimal offensive/defensive play for us.

MALLEUS DEI'S IDEAL IN-GAME PC BASEBALL GAME MENUS

================================================================

DEFENSIVE MENUS

MANAGER MENU (assumes separate mechanisms exist for inserting single
defensive replacements, double switching, warming up pitchers, sitting
pitchers down, and replacing pitchers; insert/warm up choice depends on
whether game options are set to include warming up pitchers or not)

1 - No managerial move [go to Pitcher menu]

2 - Visit mound [go to Pitcher menu]

3 - Insert preset multiple defensive replacements [go to Pitcher menu]

4 - Insert/warm up preset reliever for current game situation [go to
Pitcher menu]

5 - Insert/warm up best available pitcher for OBA vs. LHB [go to Pitcher
menu]

6 - Insert/warm up best available pitcher for OBA vs. RHB [go to Pitcher
menu]

7 - Insert/warm up best available pitcher for OOBP vs LHP [go to Pitcher
menu]

8 - Insert/warm up best available pitcher for OOBP vs RHP [go to Pitcher
menu]

9 - Insert/warm up best available pitcher for OSLG vs LHP [go to Pitcher
menu]

0 - Insert/warm up best available pitcher for OSLG vs RHP [go to Pitcher
menu]

PITCHER MENU

1- Pitch normally + standard defense [exits defensive menus]

2 - Pitch normally [go to Infield Depth menu]

3 - Pitch around [go to Infield Depth menu]

4 - Pitch and challenge [go to Infield Depth menu]

5 - Pitch at batter [go to Infield Depth menu]

6 - Intentional walk [exits defensive menus]

7 - Pitchout [go to Infield Depth menu]

8 - Pickoff attempt 1B [go to Infield Depth menu]

9 - Pickoff attempt 2B [go to Infield Depth menu]

0 - Pickoff attempt 3B [go to Infield Depth menu]

INFIELD DEPTH MENU

1 - All infield settings standard [go to Outfield Depth menu]

2 - Infield depth normal [go to Infield Shift menu]

3 - Infield in [go to Infield Shift menu]

4 - Infield deep [go to Infield Shift menu]

INFIELD SHIFT MENU

1 - No shift [go to Outfield Depth menu]

2 - Shift left [go to Outfield Depth menu]

3 - Shift right [go to Outfield Depth menu]

4 - Guard lines [go to Outfield Depth menu]

5 - Corners in [go to Outfield Depth menu]

6 - 1B in [go to Outfield Depth menu]

7 - 3B in [go to Outfield Depth menu]

8 - Corners charge plate [go to Outfield Depth menu]

9 - 1B charges plate [go to Outfield Depth menu]

0 - 3B charges plate [go to Outfield Depth menu]

OUTFIELD DEPTH MENU

1 - All outfield settings standard [exit defensive menus]

2 - Outfield depth normal [go to Outfield Shift menu]

3 - Outfield in [go to Outfield Shift menu]

4 - Outfield deep [go to Outfield Shift menu]

OUTFIELD SHIFT MENU

1 - No shift [exit defensive menus]

2 - Shift left [exit defensive menus]

3 - Shift right [exit defensive menus]

4 - Centerfielder in [exit defensive menus]

5 - Leftfielder in [exit defensive menus]

6 - Rightfielder in [exit defensive menus]

7 - Corner outfielders in [exit defensive menus]

8 - Guard lines [exit defensive menus]

9 - Gap coverage [exit defensive menus]

================================================================

OFFENSIVE MENUS

MANAGER MENU (assumes separate mechanisms exist for inserting single
pitch hitters, double switching, and pinch runners)

1 - No managerial move [go to Batter menu]

2 - Insert preset pitch-runner [go to Batter menu]

3 - Insert best available pinch-runner for lead runner [go to Batter menu]

4 - Insert preset pinch-hitter [go to Batter menu]

5 - Insert best available pinch-hitter for BA vs. LHP [go to Batter menu]

6 - Insert best available pinch-hitter for BA vs. RHP [go to Batter menu]

7 - Insert best available pinch-hitter for OBP vs LHP [go to Batter menu]

8 - Insert best available pinch-hitter for OBP vs RHP [go to Batter menu]

9 - Insert best available pinch-hitter for SLG vs LHP [go to Batter menu]

0 - Insert best available pinch-hitter for SLG vs RHP [go to Batter menu]

BATTER MENU

1 - Hit normally + normal offense [exits offensive menus]

2 - Hit normally [go to Base Leads menu]

3 - Hit for contact [go to Base Leads menu]

4 - Hit for power [go to Base Leads menu]

5 - Bunt [go to Bunt Menu]

BUNT MENU

1 - Bunt for hit [go to Bunt Direction Menu]

2 - Sacrifice bunt [go to Bunt Direction Menu]

3 - Suicide Squeeze Bunt [go to Bunt Direction Menu]

4 - Safety Squeeze Bunt [go to Bunt Direction Menu]

BUNT DIRECTION MENU

1 - Bunt to third [go to Base Leads menu]

2 - Bunt to mound [go to Base Leads menu]

3 - Bunt to first [go to Base Leads menu]

BASE LEADS MENU

1 - Normal base leads [go to Running Plays menu]

2 - Close base leads [go to Running Plays menu]

3 - Long lead 1B [go to Running Plays menu]

4- Long lead 2B [go to Running Plays menu]

5- Long lead 3B [go to Running Plays menu]

6- Long lead 1B, 2B [go to Running Plays menu]

7- Long lead 1B, 3B [go to Running Plays menu]

8- Long lead 1B, 2B, 3B [go to Running Plays menu]

RUNNING PLAYS MENU

1 - No running play [go to Base Stealing Menu]

2 - Hit and run [exits offensive menus]

3 - Run and hit [exits offensive menus]

4 - Aggressive baserunning [exits offensive menus]

5 - Hold runner at 2B [exits offensive menus]

6 - Hold runner at 3B [exits offensive menus]

7 - Hold runner at 2B, 3B [exits offensive menus]

BASE STEALING MENU

1 - No base stealing

2 - Steal 2nd [exits offensive menus]

3 - Steal 3rd [exits offensive menus]

4 - Steal home [exits offensive menus]

5 - Steal 2nd and 3rd [exits offensive menus]

6 - Steal 2nd and home [exits offensive menus]

7 - Steal 2nd and home (delayed steal) [exits offensive menus]

8 - Steal 3rd and home [exits offensive menus]

9 - Steal 2nd and 3rd and home [exits offensive menus]

“It was a war of snap judgments and binary results—shoot or don’t, live or die.“

Wargamer since 1967. Matrix customer since 2003.

(in reply to Amaroq)
Post #: 2
RE: Improvements for Managers - 9/24/2005 9:42:19 AM   
ravinhood

You guys should just go try to get on as a manager of a real baseball team. No sensible stat based gamer wants to play a game and call every pitch or every bat swing, might as well play EA Sports Baseball or High Heat Baseball or the likes if you want that kind of play.

Read the title PURE "SIM", not pure realistic pitch by pitch bat by bat baseball. I'd never buy a stat based game where there was all that input necessary to sim out a league. Option is fine, but, to me wasted resources since the majority of simmers (especially online leagues) want to sim the games fast, one pitch one bat basically is acceptable anything after that is too much micromangement and a game would take a lot longer to play out. When you start adding all that other stuff you throw realistic stats/replays out the window and basically just have a generic arcade baseball game with nothing more than real life player names, nothing more.

(in reply to Steely Glint)
Post #: 3
RE: Improvements for Managers - 9/24/2005 11:29:36 AM   
Steely Glint

Ravinhood, you just don't get it at all.

This is a set of menus for people who manage every game and every at-bat. It wouldn't effect you GM-only types at all. You'd never even see it. And a lot of stat-based gamers manage their games out; ever hear of Diamond Mind Baseball? You might also want to wake up and smell the coffee and realize that PureSim is ratings-based and _not_ stat-based.

And, in case no one ever told you this, simming is short for "simulating," as in simulating a game, which for a baseball simulation clearly includes simulating the _managerial_ aspects of the game. It doesn't mean "GM-only"

If this game is going to go gain market share and do well in sales it needs to _not_ be GM-only.

“It was a war of snap judgments and binary results—shoot or don’t, live or die.“

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 4
RE: Improvements for Managers - 9/24/2005 11:39:24 AM   
El_Homo

"For the real baseball nuts PureSim tracks the result of every pitch"

So this mode should be possible with Puresim.

El_Homo

Post #: 5
RE: Improvements for Managers - 9/24/2005 4:06:45 PM   
Abev

good thread amaroq and Steely glint,

I like that stuff as an option, and in a perfect world I would use it in a game. If that stuff was in the game (which I would def like and use), I think it *must* be a suggestion to the player. If you want the player to shorten up with 2 strikes and just put the ball in play, he can *try* to do it.

Here's why: On MLB This Morning on XM Radio (morning baseball talk show), they were talking about how Pat Burrell had something like 60 strik outs looking this season. Larry Bowa was able to expand on this. When he managed Burrell in 2004, he said he talked to him about striking out looking. After one time went Burrell went down looking in a big spot, he told Bowa "I am not going to change my strike zone for 1 umpire".

Managers can try and manage all they want, but what players do with it...who knows.

All in all I would like to see those additions to the game.

(in reply to El_Homo)
Post #: 6
RE: Improvements for Managers - 9/25/2005 5:30:22 AM   
donkuchi19

Ravinhood, if you play pitch by pitch, you are still simming the game. I used to play High Heat Baseball that way. I only managed it, not using the player controls.

I use both for puresim. I sim seasons with a solo league. I sim a week at a time with a multi-player league, and I manage games with another solo league. My original reason for purchasing was because of the manager system. It is fun to play that way right now but improvements can only help.

(in reply to Abev)
Post #: 7
RE: Improvements for Managers - 9/26/2005 5:47:13 AM   
lynchjm24

I can certainly see Marcus or Shaun giving you these menus someday. I have little faith that anyone would ever be able to get them to accurately play a game of baseball at this level of detail.

You'd end up selecting from all these menus, but when you can't actually 'see' what happens then what faith is there in the results?

(in reply to donkuchi19)
Post #: 8
RE: Improvements for Managers - 9/26/2005 8:28:31 AM   
Steely Glint

quote:

ORIGINAL: lynchjm24

I can certainly see Marcus or Shaun giving you these menus someday. I have little faith that anyone would ever be able to get them to accurately play a game of baseball at this level of detail.

You'd end up selecting from all these menus, but when you can't actually 'see' what happens then what faith is there in the results?

Well, look who finally showed up! Mister Anti-Managerial-Improvements himself. Nice job of obfuscation there.

I don't doubt in the slightest that you have no faith in anything that doesn't only improve the GM experience.

(in reply to lynchjm24)
Post #: 9
RE: Improvements for Managers - 9/26/2005 8:28:27 PM   
Amaroq

quote:

I have little faith that anyone would ever be able to get them to accurately play a game of baseball at this level of detail.

Well, take a look at how faithfully Sports Interactive's "Football Manager 2005" simulates a soccer match. Its in-game engine isn't perfect, but it really does simulate out every touch of the ball, and the FM'06 beta looks even better. The idea is that you are the Manager of the team, not the General Manager, and they've put a ton of effort into getting that 'right'.

I think that any game which stops short (at the one-random-number-per-at-bat abstraction level) isn't accurately playing a game of baseball - they're playing an abstraction designed to give the appearance of 'statistical correctness' when viewed at the season's summed statistics level. That's fine, and as Steely Glint says its 'good enough' for the GM crowd (which I am certainly part of), but if we're going to simulate in-game management, this is the 'next level' that would be required to overtake the competition (rather than just going for competitive partiy, feature-matching, as ravinhood suggests).

Look at the level of statistical detail that Jim Gindin put into researching Front Office Football, for example. Rather than looking at any summation of season stats (e.g., the average yards-per-carry of a running back) he did some more extensive analysis of it, breaking it down to figure out that the median carry is much shorter than the average, while the average gets brought up by the extreme results, big breakaway runs. FoF models that, and so comes out more realistic in play-calling mode than the average computer game - even if I never notice it, since I sim out games without watching, just getting the final score, the stats, and the injury report.

I almost think that the 'average' fan misunderstands baseball - I went to a game recently with two cricket fans visiting from India, and found them far more observant of the subtle nuances of the game than the typical fan that I watch a game with. Looking at the first baseman holding a runner, they noticed that that creates a bigger gap on the right side of the infield, and wondered if it was correct to try and knock a ground ball into the hole on the right side. When a Giants rookie struck out with a mighty swing, they asked why he hadn't shortened his swing to ensure that he made contact with the ball - a very good observation. Its a "thinking man's game," we're assured, but I don't think the average baseball fan really understands how subtle the strategies are.

Post #: 10
RE: Improvements for Managers - 9/27/2005 4:43:27 AM   
lynchjm24

I'm sure there is a middle ground where many functions could be added, but there is no reasonable way to get what is proposed above into a game.

There are just too many variables and there is no way to accurately model some of these things because there is no way to test it in real life. Let's take something as simple as 1st and 3rd baseman 'play the lines'. Certainly it seems as though this would create more singles, but perhaps fewer doubles. Do you have any idea in real life how many fewer doubles there are, or how many more singles there are? If you can't quantify it in real life how would you ever model it in a game like this?

If you want to take personal shots at me that's fine - I'm not going to fight back. My point is only that if you want to come up with suggestions, they have a better chance of improving the game if they are actually feasible. I could draw up all sorts of charts that would more accurately model real life, but there is no way to code them. That's why I try to stick to improvements that can actually be implemented - and easy example: stop having unsigned free agents develop.

As for SI and their modeling of soccer: They are at about their 15th version and have a staff of programmers. They also built the game from the ground up that way I would imagine, and didn't have to try and retro fit a system like that into a game that is already developed.

Your ideas are great, and would make for a tremendous game - but there is not a programmer in the text-sim market who can make that system work. I have a ton of respect for the people that make these games, but it's a pipedream.

Post #: 11
RE: Improvements for Managers - 9/27/2005 9:17:50 PM   
Amaroq

I'm sorry, I hope you didn't feel I was taking personal shots at you! That wasn't my intention, any more than your intention in your last comment was to be disparaging to Shaun or Marcus. In particular, I have a lot of respect for you due to the many intelligent posts you've made in the 3 years we've known each other, and how helpful you've been both less-experienced users as they learn the game and to Shaun via bug reporting and feature suggestion. So, my deep apologies if you took anything I said as a personal criticism!

Your point about needing a way to accurately model some of these things is a very good one, and ties into my comments about 'the average fan' - part of the reason the 'average fan' doesn't 'see' these details is that we (baseball fans) haven't developed a language to talk about it. Our broadcasters go wandering off into obscure things like "He's batting .428 lifetime against Schilling with runners in scoring position and a left-handed batter in the on-deck circle," which is nowhere near a useful statistic for us! Our statistical geniuses wander off down the path of 'what can I do with the data available to me', answering questions like 'is batting average or on base percentage more important?' and 'does having a power hitter batting behind you affect your performance?' and don't look at the possibility that there are fundamental gaps in the descriptive language. So, I utterly agree with you on the question "if you can't quantify it in real life, how would you ever model it in a game?", and this fundamental problem may be part of the reason why the "twitch" games all feel wrong, and wind up generating odd batting averages - a subtle shift in the 'per pitch' outcome translates to a very large shift in the 'per season accumulated stats' outcome.

Yes, SI have a staff of programmers and have been working on the game since the late '80s. Granted. But it started as two brothers programming their ideal football game in their spare bedroom, same as PureSim did. Their most recent game engine seems to be the work of primarily one engineer, who has been working on it since CM01/02, and has pretty much gutted what was there previously. Sure, its taken close to 100% of one person's time for 5 years - but it is do-able! And somebody with a contract with Stats, Inc might be able to tease a lot more subtle information from their DB than we'd be able to do from Lahman or other publicly available statistical summaries.

(in reply to lynchjm24)
Post #: 12
RE: Improvements for Managers - 9/28/2005 3:25:13 AM   
lynchjm24

Amaroq, my comments were towards Steely - not you. He and I have gone at it in the past and he tried to drum something up again in this thread, just wanted to tell him that I noticed but I'm not getting into it again.

I'm sure there are teams charting things to a deeper level then even STATS is. I doubt that there is any avenue to get this information and I anything that would be available would be extremely expensive. Nothing short of charting a few thousand games and quantifing everything going on would be necessary. This isn't even something that could be done by watching TV - you'd need some sort of wide view where you could see every thing happening at the same time.

Also, many of the decisions that you would make in the menus is based on things that you could see. You wouldn't have your corner infielders charging to field a bunt unless you could see that the hitter was going to give himself up - otherwise you'd just get them killed. I also feel like many of the things that are in those menus aren't things that are really being called from the bench by a manager. Pickoff throws? I mean sure it adds to the depth of the game, but is there really a reason to have to decide when to try a pick off throw? I mean what do you really get from that? You pick off a handful of runners a year - how exciting. You also need to be able to quantify how pick off throws effect base stealing. If anyone has that information I haven't seen them show it anywhere.

There are plenty of other things there as well - players don't usually get a sign to bunt for a hit, they do that on their own if they see the opportunity. Do you usually see a hitter with no one on base watch a series of signs from a coach unless it's a 3-0 count?

Things that are easy to quantify should be added. Take. Attempt Steal, double steal. Sac Bunt. Squeeze Bunt.

Things that are a little more difficult should be given some thought. Guard corners maybe increases singles but cuts down doubles - but by what factor? I guess it could be open in the XML and the user could adjust. You need to be careful though because the AI probably can't take that into account if you start playing with the values and might not use it correctly - further giving the human manager advantages.

So I guess in conclusion there are many things that could/should be added to the in game manager, but let's not pretend that being able to call for pickoffs is going to bring in a huge amount of players who burn for that option.

(in reply to Amaroq)
Post #: 13
RE: Improvements for Managers - 9/30/2005 7:10:01 PM   
Steely Glint

quote:

ORIGINAL: lynchjm24

Pickoff throws? I mean sure it adds to the depth of the game, but is there really a reason to have to decide when to try a pick off throw? I mean what do you really get from that? You pick off a handful of runners a year - how exciting. You also need to be able to quantify how pick off throws effect base stealing. If anyone has that information I haven't seen them show it anywhere.

That entire post is so full of ignorance that I could pick it into many tiny pieces of nonsense. But I'll just touch on this one point of blatant misinformation: studies have indeed shown that pickoff throws do reduce leadoffs and base stealing (see Bill James et al).

As to the joke statement that no game would be able to handle this many managerial options, Earl Weaver handled most of them just fine twenty years ago. On 80286 machines.

PureSim is a niche product at the moment. It's a GM simulation. If it is going to compete successfully with OOTP and Diamond Mind it's going to have to - that's right, have to - add a full set of managerial options.

Do you want PureSim to succeed commercially or not? It's just that simple.

(in reply to lynchjm24)
Post #: 14
RE: Improvements for Managers - 9/30/2005 7:36:48 PM   
Dirtdog20

I wish I had this many options open to me as a manager. Ok Manny, its 0-2 so I want you to shorten your swing and protect the plate.

It strikes me as the "Empire" problem. Empire in and of itself is a decent set of Nappy rules. The problem being people want to use it to have more control than historicly possable. I see the same thing occouring here. As a manager you want to have this much control but you really dont. I can call pitches, but cant execute them. I can put on Run and Hit's, straight steals, and work for hours on approaches at the plate with runners at 2 and/or 3 with less than 2 outs. If the batter isnt smart enough to make the adjustments at the appropriate time there is nothing I can do other than make sure that player sits next to me for the next few games.

What a managers menu needs:
Offence-standard is "Hit it if it is your happy pitch."
Hit and Run
Run and Hit
Take a pitch
Steal
Double Steal
Delay Steal
Sacrifice/Squeeze

Defence-Standard is normal
Infield In
Corners In
OF In
No Doubles
Wheel/ Get Lead Runner (bunt coverage)
Guard line
BE ABLE TO DO MORE THAN ONE OF THESE

Pitching-Standard being "book the hitter"
Warm up reliever
Pitch around
Make hit
Visit Mound/delay (Send the catcher or pitching coach)
Pick/hold runner

Any more than that and you start getting into the "empire zone"

< Message edited by Dirtdog20 -- 9/30/2005 7:39:07 PM >

You mean that we gotta take a test after we read this stuff?!?

Post #: 15
RE: Improvements for Managers - 10/1/2005 7:08:37 AM   
Steely Glint

There's a lot of things that you left out which are important components of baseball defense and offense.

PureSim can't compete in accuracy with Diamond Mind; nothing can. OOTP has a huge head start over PureSim and a large, well-established, very dedicated fan base that has added value to the game through more homemade add-ons than you can shake a stick at - and some of them, like Catobase, are world-class add-ons. How, then, is PureSim to compete? If PureSim is going to succeed, it will need to bring more to the table than a shiny interface and a good GM experience. To succeed in the current market, PureSim is going to have to offer customers a *better overall baseball experience*.

And a significant portion of that better overall experience is going to have to be managerial.

===============

And now back to pickoff throws, since I was told privately that I was not clear enough earlier: it has been known for over a decade that even one pickoff throw is enough to reduce the chance of a stolen base.

< Message edited by Steely Glint -- 10/1/2005 7:10:49 AM >

(in reply to Dirtdog20)
Post #: 16
RE: Improvements for Managers - 10/1/2005 11:29:03 PM   
dnelms

quote:

If PureSim is going to succeed, it will need to bring more to the table than a shiny interface and a good GM experience. To succeed in the current market, PureSim is going to have to offer customers a *better overall baseball experience*.

To be quite blunt, are you blind??? While it can always get better, I feel like PureSim HAS ALREADY succeeded If every suggestion by us (as original PS users) was implemented by Shaun, it may would take 2 or 3 CD's just to fit the complied code on it. But to say certain things "HAVE" to be done to succeed, IMO is wrongly judging PureSim. I want more manager options (although I sim 90% of my games), but the list discussed would have to be whittled down to usable areas.

Post #: 17
RE: Improvements for Managers - 10/2/2005 2:35:48 PM   
puresimmer

I'll most certainly continue to improve this aspect of the game in PureSim 2006.

Developer, PureSim Baseball

(in reply to dnelms)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Improvements for Managers Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI