Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The Fandom For H2H

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> The Fandom For H2H Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Fandom For H2H - 10/1/2005 9:08:07 AM   
KG Erwin

Panzer Leo's OOBs were based on SPWaW 7.1, which had flaws and led to the 8.0 series.

Some of you guys swear by this, but, other than the Germans, who are uberpowerful and have cool pictures, it is just for fun or does it have any basis for historical balance? If not, then you guys are engaging in nothing more than fantasy gaming.

Artur, I direct this to you in particular -- in real life, your nation's armed forces (Hungary)were a non-entity. SPwaW 8.4 shows the historical reality -- H2H just "feels right", eh?

How well did "feels right" go with this community during the development of the official 8.2-8.3 OOBs?

I DID take some of PZ Leo's pics & sound files for use in my personal OOBs-- these are worthwhile, and I thank him for these efforts.

Post #: 1
RE: The Fandom For H2H - 10/1/2005 12:17:57 PM   
m10bob

I liked H2H's more prolific OOB's and the "hidden" damage from artillery..
Recently the OOB's have gotten much, much better, but I believe H2H was the catalyst.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 2
RE: The Fandom For H2H - 10/1/2005 3:41:49 PM   
Goblin

Wow, pretty much deciding to take cheap shots at everyone, eh KG?

Goblin

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 3
RE: The Fandom For H2H - 10/1/2005 3:52:24 PM   
DoubleDeuce

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

Panzer Leo's OOBs were based on SPWaW 7.1, which had flaws and led to the 8.0 series.

Some of you guys swear by this, but, other than the Germans, who are uberpowerful and have cool pictures, it is just for fun or does it have any basis for historical balance? If not, then you guys are engaging in nothing more than fantasy gaming.

Artur, I direct this to you in particular -- in real life, your nation's armed forces (Hungary)were a non-entity. SPwaW 8.4 shows the historical reality -- H2H just "feels right", eh?

How well did "feels right" go with this community during the development of the official 8.2-8.3 OOBs?

I DID take some of PZ Leo's pics & sound files for use in my personal OOBs-- these are worthwhile, and I thank him for these efforts.

Considering that almost every SP support site out there with a ladder or large group of Pbem'ers primarilly use the H2H mod for their games I'd say that speaks volumes for what gamers like. So called fantasy or not.

< Message edited by Double Deuce -- 10/1/2005 3:54:28 PM >

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 4
RE: The Fandom For H2H - 10/1/2005 4:13:31 PM   
VikingNo2

Wow Gunny, that was kinda a cheap shot. H2H is a very good version, the pricing of certian things is the only problem I have with it.

(in reply to DoubleDeuce)
Post #: 5
RE: The Fandom For H2H - 10/1/2005 4:19:52 PM   
Alby

I do like the No casualties during artillery bombardments...
That is one of the things I wish SPWAW would implement.
I used to play H2H exclusively.
However since I began implementing all the Depots OOB project changes, I have shelved H2H for The Depot Multi Mod...
Plus I like the Passengers taking casualties that returned with 8.4
and now that the spotting routine has been adjusted, it will make it even better.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 6
RE: The Fandom For H2H - 10/1/2005 7:51:52 PM   
sztartur2

H2H is the BEST SPWaW version IMO.

quote:

ORIGINAL: VikingNo2

Wow Gunny, that was kinda a cheap shot. H2H is a very good version, the pricing of certian things is the only problem I have with it.

V2, what exactly is your problem with the prices?

Artur.

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.", Sun Tzu

(in reply to VikingNo2)
Post #: 7
RE: The Fandom For H2H - 10/1/2005 7:59:41 PM   
VikingNo2

The prices of some items like the RRs and Inf guns, and some of the German big arty is a little underpriced one of the 150mm ones if memory serves. Plus the bicycle infantry are messed up they don't take casualties like they should

The large majority of the prices I think are on target, especially the transports.

These are just my opions ofcourse

(in reply to sztartur2)
Post #: 8
RE: The Fandom For H2H - 10/1/2005 8:36:31 PM   
KG Erwin

quote:

Yeah, it WAS a cheap shot. Sorry--guess I had a flashback to my OOB design team days -- the criticism that we got, even before 8.3 was released, was unbelievable. Oh, well, I suppose that's the price you pay for being a SWAG (secretive wizard and guru).

(in reply to VikingNo2)
Post #: 9
RE: The Fandom For H2H - 10/1/2005 8:47:10 PM   
sztartur2

quote:

The prices of some items like the RRs and Inf guns, and some of the German big arty is a little underpriced one of the 150mm ones if memory serves. Plus the bicycle infantry are messed up they don't take casualties like they should

The large majority of the prices I think are on target, especially the transports.

Ok. Actually being with the Russians is somewhat easier in H2H and the ATR's have some starnge side effect with their HE ammo.
The arty problem is not that big IMHO - you have the 10% restriction. Actually the Germans are hanicapped because they do not have off-board 75mm arty in their arsenal and that is a cheap and effective asset.

IMO it is still the best SP version. It is my opinion of course :).

What do you mean by RR?

Artur.

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.", Sun Tzu

(in reply to VikingNo2)
Post #: 10
RE: The Fandom For H2H - 10/1/2005 11:42:34 PM   
Alby

quote:

ORIGINAL: sztartur

quote:

Ok. Actually being with the Russians is somewhat easier in H2H and the ATR's have some starnge side effect with their HE ammo.
The arty problem is not that big IMHO - you have the 10% restriction. Actually the Germans are hanicapped because they do not have off-board 75mm arty in their arsenal and that is a cheap and effective asset.

IMO it is still the best SP version. It is my opinion of course :).

What do you mean by RR?

Artur.

RR=Recoiless Rifle
bye....

(in reply to sztartur2)
Post #: 11
RE: The Fandom For H2H - 10/2/2005 12:37:47 AM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alby

RR=Recoiless Rifle
bye....

Alby, are you "going Michael" on us?

Sometimes that's a good thing, as some of us tend to get verbose
and talk too much, you know, like jibber-jabbering and shooting the breeze and gabbing it up and chewing the fat and such.

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 12
RE: The Fandom For H2H - 10/2/2005 12:43:19 AM   
Alby

heheh I am just being goofy today....

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 13
RE: The Fandom For H2H - 10/2/2005 12:55:42 AM   
Goblin

Oh no, its spreading...

Must resist urge...

bye....

Goblin

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 14
RE: The Fandom For H2H - 10/2/2005 1:01:29 AM   
sztartur2

Thanks guys for the response.

Alby what do you have in mind with H2H?

Artur.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 15
RE: The Fandom For H2H - 10/2/2005 1:06:40 AM   
Alby

Like I said...just throwing out feelers....

(in reply to sztartur2)
Post #: 16
RE: The Fandom For H2H - 10/2/2005 1:33:07 AM   
sztartur2

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

Gunny how deeply have you researched the history of the so called "minor" nations?

Let me add something.
Regarding The Hungarian forces their leadership was quite well trained (admitted by the Germans) but had a lower morale -especially in Russia- and lacked the modern equipment.
Their Air force and artillery was very good.
On the other hand Rumanians had poor leadership and training while they had better morale than the Hungarians. In H2H the ratings are more or less fine. Being a non entity is easy to say while you are backed with everything you need. Try to stop the Russians in the winter with 37 or 45mm ATGs and summer clothes. I wonder how well could any army perform under those conditions. The Hungarians did hold on well in 44' in front of the Carpathians (where they used the Tigers)and in Transylvania, while the Rumanian troops had a very hard job at the Don and in Crimea.

The ratings in 8.3 are a joke IMO. If we get to the topic what feels right in 8.3 I experienced the super allied tank effect a lot when Tiger/Panther shots __from close range__ were regularly bouncing off the T34s and Shermans. It is good for game ballance but it is not very historical so to say... Not to mention the OOBs in 8.3 were by far less accurate. (Eg Hungarian Tiger in 43' - they got them in 44'). I rather feel like in 8.3 playability very much over-came the historical accuracy IMO. I hate to say this but SPWaW 8.3/8.4 seems to be a dead-end until now. H2H is still by far the best SPWaW version.

Artur.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 17
RE: The Fandom For H2H - 10/2/2005 2:03:19 AM   
m10bob

I personally appreciate (and use) the Depot's OOB..Everything was researched, with referances, and votes were even taken on EVERY single change, so both sides could be heard from,(I.E. play balance and historical-correctness)..
I have no problems with this version................
I very much like the hidden arty effects in Leo's H2H, but this has not been implemented in SPWAW yet.
I believe eventually a "patch" will change this.

(in reply to sztartur2)
Post #: 18
RE: The Fandom For H2H - 10/2/2005 4:22:29 AM   
Captain Cruft

In theory it shouldn't be too hard to port over the H2H mech.exe hacks to the 8.x version. Including the hidden casualties thing.

Ditto the sounds and icons etc.

There is no reason the Depot OOB (or any OOB) can't be used with the H2H stuff, it just involves work :)

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 19
RE: The Fandom For H2H - 10/2/2005 10:18:43 AM   
PimpYourAFV

What does 'hidden arty' mean? I don't know anything about h2h accept from the AARs I thought it was for multiplayer to make all the nations have equal units or something so Germany doesn't have uber armor units. I may be way offbase with this impression.

Does artillery in h2h do more damage? I noticed the arty in 8.4 did no damage at all so I set it to 140 soft & hard for both sides and now get small casualties like 1-3 from hits on infantry. I think that's about realistic cause I've read in different places that arty caused like 75% of the casualties in WWII so boosting it to 140 makes it more realistic. What about in that mod? Is h2h the same as 7.1 or something?

(in reply to Captain Cruft)
Post #: 20
RE: The Fandom For H2H - 10/2/2005 2:23:01 PM   
VikingNo2

Its seems in H2H arty is more deadly as far as causing casualties to infantry, thats my experience anyway. I have never raised my arty up it seems that 100% is fine IMO

(in reply to PimpYourAFV)
Post #: 21
RE: The Fandom For H2H - 10/2/2005 6:28:37 PM   
Alby

quote:

ORIGINAL: TokyoBoyTensai

What does 'hidden arty' mean? I don't know anything about h2h accept from the AARs I thought it was for multiplayer to make all the nations have equal units or something so Germany doesn't have uber armor units. I may be way offbase with this impression.

Does artillery in h2h do more damage? I noticed the arty in 8.4 did no damage at all so I set it to 140 soft & hard for both sides and now get small casualties like 1-3 from hits on infantry. I think that's about realistic cause I've read in different places that arty caused like 75% of the casualties in WWII so boosting it to 140 makes it more realistic. What about in that mod? Is h2h the same as 7.1 or something?

When your arty hits, it does not give away casualty reports, letting you know that you have hit something, like it does now in SPWAW

(in reply to PimpYourAFV)
Post #: 22
RE: The Fandom For H2H - 10/2/2005 6:48:11 PM   
soldier

quote:

I completely disagree. The changes in H2H were IMHO a vast improvement over 7.1 and far from fantasy gaming, paint a much more historical picture of the war. If a nation had certain advantages then chances are it is reflected more so in H2H than in any of the V8 series despite gaming balance (which funnily enough is there). As for the Germans being uber powerful, they are much stronger in 8.4 thanks to the cut in everyone elses Exp/morale ratings.
Where do you come up with this stuff ?... I won't even start on the "Hungarian non entity" comment.

(in reply to VikingNo2)
Post #: 23
RE: The Fandom For H2H - 10/2/2005 6:58:30 PM   
sztartur2

quote:

ORIGINAL: soldier

The changes in H2H were IMHO a vast improvement over 7.1 and far from fantasy gaming, paint a much more historical picture of the war. If a nation had certain advantages then chances are it is reflected more so in H2H than in any of the V8 series despite gaming balance (which funnily enough is there). As for the Germans being uber powerful, they are much stronger in 8.4 thanks to the cut in everyone elses Exp/morale ratings.
Where do you come up with this stuff ?...

I completely agree with the statement above. I won't even comment more on the Hungarians being a non entity , Gunny's doing strange things around here lately.

Artur.

(in reply to soldier)
Post #: 24
RE: The Fandom For H2H - 10/2/2005 11:47:15 PM   
mattenhoff

Gunny, you posted exactly the same post at the Depot!

Been fishing lately, have you?

What's the point, man?

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 25
RE: The Fandom For H2H - 10/3/2005 1:14:13 AM   
PimpYourAFV

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alby

When your arty hits, it does not give away casualty reports, letting you know that you have hit something, like it does now in SPWAW

Okay thanks. That sounds like a good idea for sure.

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> The Fandom For H2H Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI