Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Importing real seasons

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Importing real seasons Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Importing real seasons - 10/5/2005 5:19:52 AM   
StyxNCa

Why doesn't the Lahman data base have every player from each season. I imported the 1969 season and found many players not there. When I try to import individuals, and do a search, those players aren't found. When I use the delineated version for OOTP, every player is imported. I hate to say it but a replay is useless with fictional players on the roster.

Also, when I export an OOTP schedule and try to import it into Puresim, it doesn't work cuz it doesn't find the CVS file, so exactly how do u import a schedule. T tried to save as a text file as well and imported it into puresim, but still didn't work. The number of games per day was correct, but the teams were wrong.
Post #: 1
RE: Importing real seasons - 10/5/2005 6:03:26 AM   
DandricSturm

I'm not sure what the cut off point is, but players need a certain number of games or at bats or innings pitched to be able to be modeled by PureSim. If more obscure players are missing, this is probably the problem. If stars are missing, I don't know what the problem is. Generally, 20-30 players are available from each team.

I've imported OOTP schedules I have downloaded. If they're valid OOTP text files, with the proper number of teams for your league, renaming them with a .csv extension works.

If you're trying to do a season replay, use the built in retrosheet schedules.

< Message edited by DandricSturm -- 10/5/2005 6:04:55 AM >

"The Guns, Thank God, The Guns..." - Rudyard Kipling
http://www.bluemax-ara-assoc.com/

(in reply to StyxNCa)
Post #: 2
RE: Importing real seasons - 10/5/2005 8:43:06 AM   
StyxNCa

Unfortunately, retrosheet doesn't have the schedule for the 1969 season.

(in reply to DandricSturm)
Post #: 3
RE: Importing real seasons - 10/5/2005 2:30:55 PM   
puresimmer

Players need to have a sufficient number of at bats and innings pitched in order to be modeled/imported by PureSim. I'd need to check the code but I think it is 15 IP for pitchers and 50 ABs for hitters.

Regarding importing OOTP schedules, they all should import just fine. What specific schedule are you trying to import? Can you pass along a download link?

Developer, PureSim Baseball

(in reply to StyxNCa)
Post #: 4
RE: Importing real seasons - 10/7/2005 12:26:52 AM   
StyxNCa

Well I will just use OOTP for my replays. I wish I had been able to use the free download of puresim to find out how it works before I spent the $30 for it only to find it isn't good for replays.

< Message edited by StyxNCa -- 10/7/2005 12:40:12 AM >

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 5
RE: Importing real seasons - 10/7/2005 3:06:13 AM   
puresimmer

If you can expand on why you don't feel its good for replays I'll be happy to get your feedback. What are the specific areas that are not working for you?

Developer, PureSim Baseball

(in reply to StyxNCa)
Post #: 6
RE: Importing real seasons - 10/7/2005 7:47:47 AM   
Steely Glint

quote:

ORIGINAL: StyxNCa

Well I will just use OOTP for my replays. I wish I had been able to use the free download of puresim to find out how it works before I spent the $30 for it only to find it isn't good for replays.

My experience with PureSim is that, while it's not Diamond Mind, it works pretty well for season replays. Just what is your problem with it?

“It was a war of snap judgments and binary results—shoot or don’t, live or die.“

Wargamer since 1967. Matrix customer since 2003.

(in reply to StyxNCa)
Post #: 7
RE: Importing real seasons - 10/8/2005 3:16:09 AM   
StyxNCa

I think I mentioned before what the problem is. How can u have a good replay when fictional players are put onto rosters in the place of the real players. The idea of not importing all the real players just seems ridiculous for replay purposes. OOTP imports ALL players regardless of AB or IP, and it doesnt add fictional players just to fill the required roster spots.

(in reply to Steely Glint)
Post #: 8
RE: Importing real seasons - 10/8/2005 5:48:44 PM   
Steely Glint

Well, yes, PureSim's season/team importing could be improved. OOTP does handle it nicely IMO.

“It was a war of snap judgments and binary results—shoot or don’t, live or die.“

Wargamer since 1967. Matrix customer since 2003.

(in reply to StyxNCa)
Post #: 9
RE: Importing real seasons - 10/10/2005 9:52:28 PM   
Amaroq

Shaun's logic was "How can I accurately depict a player who, say, went 1-for-1 in his only career at bat?" Obviously, the one-at-bat isn't statistically significant: he shouldn't be a career 1.000 hitter in your replay... but how should he be portrayed?

What I'd like to see developed here is "anybody who doesn't meet the 'minimum' at-bat and innings-pitched requirements gets 'minor-league' quality stats with numbers in the 0-40 range, while career big-leaguers would have numbers in the 30-100 range. It seems that's how fictional associations play out, so its probably a good bet for importing below-minimum players.

(in reply to StyxNCa)
Post #: 10
RE: Importing real seasons - 10/11/2005 2:00:32 AM   
Beach23BoyP

quote:

OOTP imports ALL players regardless of AB or IP, and it doesnt add fictional players just to fill the required roster spots.

Yes, but OOTP just "sims" the minor leagues. PureSim plays out all major and triple AAA games. In fact, you can play your minor league team's games and ignore the majors if you wish. It is a simple trade-off.

Look for PS to have three levels of minors in 2006.

(in reply to StyxNCa)
Post #: 11
RE: Importing real seasons - 10/11/2005 2:23:00 AM   
Amaroq

quote:

What I'd like to see developed here is "anybody who doesn't meet the 'minimum' at-bat and innings-pitched requirements gets 'minor-league' quality stats with numbers in the 0-40 range, while career big-leaguers would have numbers in the 30-100 range. It seems that's how fictional associations play out, so its probably a good bet for importing below-minimum players.

This change might also address the point I'm talking about in the other thread on historical player importing, about having a bunch of players who were 'big league quality' in real life in the minors a couple years longer than they should be. I think it would help, anyways.

(in reply to Beach23BoyP)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Importing real seasons Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI