Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Simming a single game or series

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Simming a single game or series Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Simming a single game or series - 10/6/2005 6:44:37 AM   
laskercapa

A lot of very nice stuff in this game, but one thing I can't find is how to simulate a single game or series. If I just wanted to spend a couple hours reliving, say, the '75 World Series (Reds vs. Red Sox), can I do that? If I wanted to try a single game with the '68 Tigers against the '27 Yankees, each with their real full-season stats (as in a tabletop sim like ReplayBB), can I do that? I'm mostly interested is playing with historical teams and historical stats, perhaps, but not necessarily, over a full season. What am I missing?

Steve
Post #: 1
RE: Simming a single game or series - 10/6/2005 8:47:11 AM   
Marlowe

I have the exact same question. Frankly, I have zero interest in setting up an association, let alone running one, and got the game precisely--and solely--to fool around with recreating things like the '78 Yankee-Red Sox playoff, to pit the great Yankee/Dodger/Giant teams of the '50s against each other, etc. Instead, the sandbox menu takes me throguh a whole rigamarole that I have lacked the patience to go through as yet. Can what we want be done simply done? If not, I am pretty upset about this purchase.

(in reply to laskercapa)
Post #: 2
RE: Simming a single game or series - 10/6/2005 1:14:44 PM   
puresimmer

Sorry, the game does not support creating one-off replays like that. A workaround is to use Sandbox mode. You could create a 4 team association and import the exact teams you want and then edit the schedule.

Certainly not ideal, but it would at least make what you are looking for possible.

Developer, PureSim Baseball

(in reply to Marlowe)
Post #: 3
RE: Simming a single game or series - 10/6/2005 8:37:51 PM   
PadresFan104

Wow.. In all of the years I've been playing PureSim, I can't recall this ever coming up in the message boards. Now that I think about it though, I can't think of another text-based baseball game that doesn't have this feature, so I guess I can understand the confusion.

At any rate, to the new users reading this, PureSim was not designed as a historical replay game from the beginning. This is an aspect of the game that is still evolving. Until the "single-game/single-series" feature is added to PureSim, I'd recommend an excellent free game called SBS (Strategic Baseball Simulator). Great no frills game that does exactly what you are asking for.

Al

< Message edited by PadresFan104 -- 10/6/2005 8:39:13 PM >

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 4
RE: Simming a single game or series - 10/6/2005 9:03:14 PM   
Marlowe

Thanks for the help. I guess I am largely at fault for making an incorrect assumption about the game, but since the official release statemtent for the game says (roughly) "pit the 1927 Yankees against the 2004 Red Sox", I don't think it was a totally illogial assumption. Hopefully a single game/series option will be added.

(in reply to PadresFan104)
Post #: 5
RE: Simming a single game or series - 10/6/2005 9:36:42 PM   
Erik Rutins

Marlowe,

The new sandbox mode does allow historical teams to play each other, but not in the simple "one off" format you are looking for. Per Shaun's post above, it can be made to happen with not too much work. I'm sorry if you feel that the press release was inaccurate, but it only differs from your request in that we were referring to the sandbox mode rather than a single game replay.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Marlowe)
Post #: 6
RE: Simming a single game or series - 10/6/2005 11:35:43 PM   
Amaroq

To touch on that a bit, the game is primarily designed to be a GM simulation, presenting you with the challenges a real GM faces: is it worth renewing your aging star's contract to get one or two more years out of him, or do you let him go and give younger talent a chance?

I think the reasoning behind that is simple: between DiamondMind, SBS, and others, the 'historical replay' niche seems to be fairly well covered.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 7
RE: Simming a single game or series - 10/7/2005 4:45:12 AM   
laskercapa

Thanks for the responses, guys. I'll check out SBS for now and hope that you might add single-game functionality to PureSim some day. I realize now the game's primary (only) focus is on team management in a season/career/forever mode, and I appreciate that (so many games lack focus). But, with its use of the Lahman DB, and the "manage every pitch, every at-bat" feature, it seems a very small stretch to add short-term (game/series) simulation to the options. That, I believe, would make it a complete package, without sacrificing its focus.

In any case, I hope it sells in vast quantities and allows you to continue the work. Good luck!
- Steve

(in reply to laskercapa)
Post #: 8
RE: Simming a single game or series - 10/7/2005 7:52:16 AM   
Steely Glint

quote:

ORIGINAL: Amaroq

To touch on that a bit, the game is primarily designed to be a GM simulation

And this is a design emphasis error that needs to be rectified somewhat in future versions.

“It was a war of snap judgments and binary results—shoot or don’t, live or die.“

Wargamer since 1967. Matrix customer since 2003.

(in reply to Amaroq)
Post #: 9
RE: Simming a single game or series - 10/7/2005 7:53:28 AM   
Steely Glint

quote:

ORIGINAL: smvance

But, with its use of the Lahman DB, and the "manage every pitch, every at-bat" feature, it seems a very small stretch to add short-term (game/series) simulation to the options. That, I believe, would make it a complete package, without sacrificing its focus.

Yes, that and a full set of in-game managerial options are needed to round this game out.

“It was a war of snap judgments and binary results—shoot or don’t, live or die.“

(in reply to laskercapa)
Post #: 10
RE: Simming a single game or series - 10/7/2005 11:35:34 AM   
wesy

I love pure sim for it's GM capabilities...But for single game, series or historical replay you should check out Diamond Mind Baseball - no other game is as at least IMHO as statistically accurate thant DMB. It has a great pitch by pitch mode too.

Diamond Mind Baseball

(in reply to Steely Glint)
Post #: 11
RE: Simming a single game or series - 10/7/2005 3:44:44 PM   
Steely Glint

quote:

ORIGINAL: wesy

I love pure sim for it's GM capabilities...But for single game, series or historical replay you should check out Diamond Mind Baseball - no other game is as at least IMHO as statistically accurate thant DMB. It has a great pitch by pitch mode too.

Diamond Mind Baseball

It's not just your opinion; it's absolutely true. Because of the way it's designed, no other computer baseball game on the market is or can be as statistically accurate as DMB is.

(in reply to wesy)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Simming a single game or series Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI