Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Oh What Should I Buy?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Oh What Should I Buy? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Oh What Should I Buy? - 10/9/2005 12:05:04 AM   
GOPconservative1

I have arrived at a rather tricky situation. I am sitting here at home with roughly $60 burning a hole in my pocket. However, I have 3 games up for consideration.

1) Dawn of War:Winter Assault
2) Rome Total War and Barbarian Invasion
3) Crown of Glory

I am quite attached to Matrix, but I already own WitP and GGWAW. I think it could be time to add to my RTS collection. Your thoughts?
Post #: 1
RE: Oh What Should I Buy? - 10/9/2005 12:25:57 AM   
Erik Rutins

As long as you're asking for suggestions...

I own #1 and while I like the limited amount I've had time to play, I actually enjoyed the original Dawn of War a bit more. The new one seems faster paced and the somewhat slower pace was one of the things I liked vs. other RTS games. Plus, it's an expansion so you're mainly getting a new campaign and the Imperial Guard.

I have RTW and played it a fair amount and enjoyed it. I have been thinking about getting BI, but haven't gone for it yet mainly due to lack of time.

Crown of Glory, well - the best Napoleonic game to come out in quite a while, IMHO. Plus a full game rather than an expansion and with a ton of replayability.

So, I'd have to recommend #3. What, are you surprised?

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to GOPconservative1)
Post #: 2
RE: Oh What Should I Buy? - 10/9/2005 2:17:07 AM   
wodin

Crown and Glory.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 3
RE: Oh What Should I Buy? - 10/9/2005 6:25:00 AM   
Hertston

I've played Dawn of War, and it just seems a bog-standard RTS to me. If RTS is your thing, get Kohan 2 instead AND Crown of Glory!

Rome: Total War is certainly a very good game, although not as good as many have suggested (the campaign side is better than the previous games, but the battle-game has ben speeded up and dumbed down). If you have both a strategy and RTS itch to scratch, though, a good choice.

Crown of Glory is the best game of the three IMHO, but then I'm not big on RTS. I think one reason CoG is so popular is that there have been many attempts at this sort of game, but this is about the only one that's ever done it right.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 4
RE: Oh What Should I Buy? - 10/9/2005 6:30:04 AM   
GOPconservative1

What I am really concerned in is replay value? I realize that out of the three Dawn of War probably has the least. I own the original and online play becomes fairly repetitive. So, I must ask you how you all feel about online play for RTW and COG? I haven't heard much about the Rome Total War online communit...

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 5
RE: Oh What Should I Buy? - 10/9/2005 7:23:35 AM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: GOPconservative1

What I am really concerned in is replay value? I realize that out of the three Dawn of War probably has the least. I own the original and online play becomes fairly repetitive. So, I must ask you how you all feel about online play for RTW and COG? I haven't heard much about the Rome Total War online communit...

I've never played CoG MP (the AI is good enough for me!), but the forum suggests those who have enjoy it. RTW will have far more players, of course.

My knowledge of RTW online is secondhand too, I'm afraid. I played Shogun online a lot, and Medieval for a while, but as the battle section of Rome is, IMHO, not as good as its predecessors I never bothered. I know many of the old Total War community were (probably rather unfairly) rather pissed that Rome brought in so many `RTS` players into the fray. Most of the guys I know just stuck with Medieval. To be fair, I think RTW probably has plenty of longevity without multiplay at all.

BTW, if you don't have them, why not consider getting Shogun and Medieval instead of Rome? You could probably pick up budget re-releases ofboth those (with expansions) AND Crown of Glory for your $60 !

Post #: 6
RE: Oh What Should I Buy? - 10/10/2005 4:54:35 AM   
ilovestrategy

The only one ive played is Rome Total War and I love it

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 7
RE: Oh What Should I Buy? - 10/10/2005 5:08:55 AM   
Sarge

Rome Total War has NO AI !

< Message edited by Sarge -- 10/10/2005 5:09:35 AM >

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 8
RE: Oh What Should I Buy? - 10/10/2005 6:16:05 AM   
Reiryc

COG is a lot of fun both pbem and through tcp/ip...

I would put my money on cog first and foremost. It's just a fun game with plenty of replay value imo.

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 9
RE: Oh What Should I Buy? - 10/10/2005 11:15:48 AM   
Terminus

Dawn of War is primarily for people who are already fans of the Warhammer 40K universe; if you're not, then it is indeed a "bog standard" RTS. RTW is very enjoyable, AI or no AI, and while I don't actually own Barbarian Invasion, I've only heard good things about it.

As for CoG, and running the risk of being burned at the stake as a heretic, it was a massive disappointment to me. I could never get into it at all.

So, from the three you mention, I'd go with #2.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

Post #: 10
RE: Oh What Should I Buy? - 10/10/2005 11:12:28 PM   
ravinhood

I second what Sarge says RTW has NO AI, and I'd never play #1 even if you gave me a free copy, so #3 is the best choice by far. COG it is. ;)

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 11
RE: Oh What Should I Buy? - 10/11/2005 12:21:51 AM   
Barrold

RTW even with the best mods is like a very pretty girl with annoying habits and no brains. You want things to work out but it just ends up being boring and annoying.

BDH

None of this is my fault.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 12
RE: Oh What Should I Buy? - 10/11/2005 12:48:06 AM   
GOPconservative1

How much time does CoG take? I have WitP, and I am thinking that might be a little to complex for my liking. Could I have a pickup game of CoG, or will I be having to devote a number of hours to each turn?

(in reply to Barrold)
Post #: 13
RE: Oh What Should I Buy? - 10/11/2005 4:54:30 AM   
Reiryc

quote:

ORIGINAL: GOPconservative1

How much time does CoG take? I have WitP, and I am thinking that might be a little to complex for my liking. Could I have a pickup game of CoG, or will I be having to devote a number of hours to each turn?

Depends on your settings.

If you go with quick battles, then each turn can be done in 10-20 minutes, if you go with detailed battles, then each turn will take longer as you go through your combats and plot the moves of your armies/units.

Post #: 14
RE: Oh What Should I Buy? - 10/11/2005 6:07:00 AM   
Erik Rutins

I'd put it somewhere between GGWaW and UV in terms of time required and complexity. WitP is in a class of its own.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Reiryc)
Post #: 15
RE: Oh What Should I Buy? - 10/11/2005 3:17:48 PM   
MarcA

Erik

I just tried to send you a pm but your inbox is full, could you clear some space and let me know when it's done.

Thanks

Marc

Post #: 16
RE: Oh What Should I Buy? - 10/12/2005 1:00:08 AM   
DamoclesX

Out of those I have only played Winter Assault.

How to describe that addon, lets see... insane?

The guard are beyond powerfull, I know they are suppose to be some sort of fodderish addon or something, but if you let them build up you are -dead-.

My buddy and I tryed a 2vs2 us as orks vs the 2 hard guard ai and we were dead before we knew it, the shear number of men they can put out is insane!

Its very much turned into a build as much as possible and rush the snot out of the enemy type game, still very fun, and I love playing -as- the guard, but its not brain bender when it comes to strategy.

Jason Blaz
Way to much to list here!

(in reply to MarcA)
Post #: 17
RE: Oh What Should I Buy? - 10/12/2005 1:12:06 AM   
Terminus

Then again, can you name an RTS that is?

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to DamoclesX)
Post #: 18
RE: Oh What Should I Buy? - 10/12/2005 1:17:52 AM   
DamoclesX

Well,

Mad rushes wont work in Act of war, if you play somebody with half a brain you will get eaten alive, since most rushers tend to say build 100 tanks or 100 men or whatever.

Earth 2160 seems to do a good job of forcing you to think up plans, more so when you fight the aliens that can really outnumber you and build just scary air units.

Dragonshard is rush based for the endgame, but there is enough variety in the game itself that I can live with it.

Other then that....... I dunno I only tend to bother with th e"A+" titles when it comes to rts games, so much crap out there(ie generals)

Jason Blaz
Way to much to list here!

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 19
RE: Oh What Should I Buy? - 10/12/2005 1:24:22 AM   
Erik Rutins

Sorry, I'm terrible about remembering to check PMs. I'll clear it out tonight.

quote:

ORIGINAL: mantill

Erik

I just tried to send you a pm but your inbox is full, could you clear some space and let me know when it's done.

Thanks

Marc

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to MarcA)
Post #: 20
RE: Oh What Should I Buy? - 10/13/2005 5:28:39 PM   
Hard Sarge

LOL
I think all you guys are :)

maybe some day, some one (not you think time) will reply

for what game to get, I would have to suggest COG, it is a Great Nappy era game, good feel to it

you can make it as HARD or easy as you want

the lastest patch is out in public beta, so the real patch should be right behind and that fixes a lot of the complaints about the game

RTW is fun, pros and cons on that, the BI add on has some nice ideas in it, but I think if you want to play anybody but the Hordes, it is very misbalanced

Attachment (1)

Post #: 21
RE: Oh What Should I Buy? - 10/14/2005 1:04:19 AM   
wodin

Moscow 41 by HPS.

Looks a great buy.

or
AGW by Shwerpunkt.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 22
RE: Oh What Should I Buy? - 10/19/2005 7:36:05 PM   
invernomuto

quote:

Dawn of War is primarily for people who are already fans of the Warhammer 40K universe; if you're not, then it is indeed a "bog standard" RTS

Agree. DoW is graphically great, but after you've watched all the units and buildings for each race it's the same old and boring RTS. The campaign mode also was really disappointing, expecially for the AI. It's obviously funnier in multiplayer mode.
RTW has definitely more "strategy" even if I found it a little too arcade compared to Shogun and MTW.

Bye

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 23
RE: Oh What Should I Buy? - 10/20/2005 4:34:17 PM   
Kuokkanen

I'm surprised to see no one hasn't mentioned Perimeter yet. I recommend to check out demo version before going after the game though.

Supreme Commander is also something worth to look for. But it's not ready yet

(in reply to invernomuto)
Post #: 24
RE: Oh What Should I Buy? - 10/20/2005 5:26:29 PM   
Warfare1

I would suggest Medieval Total War plus the Viking Invasion expansion.

It's a great game, it's available at a very reasonable price, and there are a ton of mods out there for the game including ancient Greece, Napoleon, Civil War, etc....

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 25
RE: Oh What Should I Buy? - 10/24/2005 4:36:51 PM   
Tomus

I would get RTW and BI the best campaign games out.

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 26
RE: Oh What Should I Buy? - 10/24/2005 8:24:35 PM   
ravinhood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tomus

I would get RTW and BI the best campaign games out.

This guy must be smoking cannibus or something to make a statement like that. ;)

(in reply to Tomus)
Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Oh What Should I Buy? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI