Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A sneaky little addition to v1.1

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> A sneaky little addition to v1.1 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A sneaky little addition to v1.1 - 10/23/2005 5:36:55 AM   
puresimmer

I have visions of custom Lahaman databases dancing in my head so I added a little feature to 1.1 that I didn't document but may come in handy to any adventurous folks out there...

Install 1.1 and then look in your user.xml file and you will see the Lahman databse is now read from there, so you can create a custom Lahaman database (as long as it adheres to the original's structure) to do almost anything. Some examples: Career normalized stats, tweaking player debut years, adding in missing years for players that did milatary service etc.

There are a number of db's like this circulating in the OOTP community and they would be super easy to make PureSim compatible...

Developer, PureSim Baseball
Post #: 1
RE: A sneaky little addition to v1.1 - 10/23/2005 6:18:57 AM   
BryanK

Who might dare be adventerous?
;)

Thanks for putting this in there Shaun... you never cease to amaze me. I'll take a look and see what I can come up with. Any thoughts on what career-normalized data might do to the player import algorithims?

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 2
RE: A sneaky little addition to v1.1 - 10/23/2005 6:29:12 AM   
BryanK

Okay... I'm not seeing anything in the user.xml file. I did two searches for "lahman" and "database" but nothing returned. The file that is generated by the install is dated october 8 as the last modification.

On a bit of a tangent, it just occured to me that I could splice the debut year data from the alternative databases into the plain old lahman database. Somewhat disappointed i didn't figure that one out sooner.

(in reply to BryanK)
Post #: 3
RE: A sneaky little addition to v1.1 - 10/23/2005 10:09:45 AM   
BryanK

Totally past my bedtime (thanks Shaun;) but here goes...

The data normalization process in the Anakit database messes with Puresim's import algorithims something fierce. Lots of people come back with maxed out range and arm values -- and they're people that shouldn't (like Greg Vaughn). Potential and speed values are also whacked. At heart, these problems arise from the fact that the Anakit database is correcting for things that puresim itself has already taken into account. Like the difference in eras over time. OOTP doesn't do that explicitly, so the database was intended to back into it. In effect, Puresim is over correcting when it uses the Anakit database, and since basically all the alternative databases build off Anakit as a base, this might be a nonstarter at present.

Having said that, I was able to cut out Anakit's updated debut year info and melde it into the standard lahman database correctly. But there is a catch. Either puresim is keying off the first year a player has a stat line OR the debut year tells Puresim which players it should look to import, yet there are no stats for those players until they make their major league debut -- which is usually a few years later. As such, they all get skipped for having insufficent stats.

There's a couple ways around this.
1. Have someone (me?) go in and manually adjust the stat lines to be in synch with the debut years. Not gonna happen. First, I don't have the time to do that. Second, it's very time intensive and would have to be done each time a new database is released. Third, this ammounts to moving up a player's rookie season so that it occurs when they're younger, and that's going to make them too good too fast.

2. Refine the import process so that Puresim uses the debut year to find who it should import in any given year, and then independantly builds the player model based on that players' statistics -- even if they're from a few years down the road. Might require a tweak to the way potential and ratings are assigned when there is a gap between debut and the first usable stat line, though, since this stands to result in the same too-good-too-fast problem solution (1) had. Still, I think this is probably the best way.

One possible hiccup is that the debut year data is not standard across databases: the original lahman database has the day and month info as well, while the fixed Anakit info is just the draft year. That could make it a little tricky to code so that Puresim could work with both forms; but I don't even think this is always in the same form in the default Lahman database, so it might not be an issue.

Here are links to the databases, in case someone who knows more than I do wants to take a look ;)

Gambo Anakit
Debut=Draft Year

< Message edited by BryanK -- 10/23/2005 10:10:41 AM >

(in reply to BryanK)
Post #: 4
RE: A sneaky little addition to v1.1 - 10/23/2005 9:50:34 PM   
Amaroq

quote:

Third, this ammounts to moving up a player's rookie season so that it occurs when they're younger, and that's going to make them too good too fast.

... I don't think that's as much of an issue as one might imagine - in an ongoing 50+ roster league, you quickly get to a point where 'imported' players need 2-4 years of minor-league time before they are really 'ready'... so I think they get good too LATE in the current implementation; this fix might well correct that.

Still, I agree that #2 is a lot quicker for the DB-modder.

(in reply to BryanK)
Post #: 5
RE: A sneaky little addition to v1.1 - 11/2/2005 3:12:13 AM   
BryanK

Shaun?

(in reply to Amaroq)
Post #: 6
RE: A sneaky little addition to v1.1 - 7/4/2006 1:04:23 AM   
tim86432

Is the Lahman database still read from the xml file or was that changed with the new version? I have a custom database that I am using with random debut years. Right now Im just renaming the databases before installing patches or switching leagues.

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> A sneaky little addition to v1.1 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI