Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Privateers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> Privateers Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Privateers - 10/29/2005 3:01:02 AM   
Gratch

Whats the best defence? Am I supposed to send out a fleet in an area and hope that they intercept? The Privs are beginning to be a real problem.

Is it better to have a fleet with just Frigates? Or doesnt it matter?
Post #: 1
RE: Privateers - 10/29/2005 6:52:17 AM   
Naomi

Privateers can't be intercepted; only vessels that can be organised into a fleet can. To erase privateers out of the picture, keep attacking them with a far greater number of vessels. Or entice them to battle with a more or less equal number of heavy ships. Are you playing Britain?

(in reply to Gratch)
Post #: 2
RE: Privateers - 10/29/2005 3:14:35 PM   
BossGnome

im a little perplexed as to what they do... I realize they stop trade somehow, but I dont really know how? reduce income from merchants? kill trade routes?

"Hard pressed on my right; my left is in retreat. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking."
-Gen. Joffre, before the battle of the Marne

(in reply to Naomi)
Post #: 3
RE: Privateers - 10/29/2005 3:42:10 PM   
Naomi

They don't stop trade but rather steal or capture commodities - gold included - in trade routes they are in. Before version 1.2, eight of my privateers were enough for an ill-gotten sum of money bordering 100 ducats, along with not nearly less amounts of other commodities. Place as many of them as you can afford (or remember to build ) in Tyrrhenian or Norwegian Sea to enjoy these additional inflows.

Btw, I would like to know if privateers count in lowering the chances of depots being destroyed in their sea zones.

< Message edited by Naomi -- 10/29/2005 3:44:24 PM >

(in reply to BossGnome)
Post #: 4
RE: Privateers - 10/29/2005 4:19:10 PM   
ericbabe

Privateers can be intercepted, though they have a better chance than other ships not to be. Ralegh is working on convincing me to give frigates an anti-privateering role, though the proliferation of privateers is largely due to the more generous economy in the newer version, and as we're working to make the economy more stingy on the harder levels this economic solution might address the issue.

(in reply to Naomi)
Post #: 5
RE: Privateers - 10/31/2005 2:14:17 AM   
Gratch

How do you know if you have intercepted a privateer? Does a battle occur?

Does it matter how many fleets in an area? Or how many ships your fleet consists of?

In my last game I thing there were like 40 Privateers in the norwegian sea, and I could find no way to get rid of them except to declare war on the nation they belonged to. Which was a big mistake by the way.

It feels like the privateers are roaming free, and that was not really the case during this period in europe as far as I know.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 6
RE: Privateers - 10/31/2005 3:55:49 AM   
Naomi

How about embarking on a privateer-building race to counter it? My France now has dozens of such sea thieves in my clutches. ^,^v

(in reply to Gratch)
Post #: 7
RE: Privateers - 10/31/2005 9:14:53 AM   
Hard Sarge

well, one thing you can do, take them away with a treaty

it is HARDer while at peace, but if you win a war, you can strip a nation of a good chuck of his fleet

(in reply to Naomi)
Post #: 8
RE: Privateers - 11/2/2005 12:32:38 AM   
Russian Guard

I built my first Privateers the other night (as Russia) and they were all intercepted within a few months, and destroyed. Definitely can be intercepted.

On the other hand, I cannot seem to intercept any privateers anywhere. My fleet in the Baltic has yet to do so, nor has my Black Sea fleet. I take your word for it that it can happen, but I have yet to have my fleets do so in numerous play sessions. (I have the fleets set to Intercept).

I've also tried stationing Frigates with my merchant ships, to no effect.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 9
RE: Privateers - 11/2/2005 3:27:16 AM   
denisonh

Ralegh's idea has merit, as there we never enough frigates in the Royal Navy as a large number we detached to chase Privateers if I remember correctly.

The high pirate times in the Caribean came to an end with fomal naval presence consisting of squadrons of Frigates.

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericbabe

Privateers can be intercepted, though they have a better chance than other ships not to be. Ralegh is working on convincing me to give frigates an anti-privateering role, though the proliferation of privateers is largely due to the more generous economy in the newer version, and as we're working to make the economy more stingy on the harder levels this economic solution might address the issue.

"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 10
RE: Privateers - 11/2/2005 3:38:42 AM   
carnifex

quote:

Gratch Am I supposed to send out a fleet in an area and hope that they intercept?

Naomi Privateers can't be intercepted; only vessels that can be organised into a fleet can.

ericbabe Privateers can be intercepted, though they have a better chance than other ships not to be.

Russian Guard I built my first Privateers the other night (as Russia) and they were all intercepted within a few months, and destroyed. Definitely can be intercepted.

Ok, I think there's a little confusion over interception. Interception is when you set your fleet to attack any adjacent enemy fleet in the coming movement phase. You can't intercept privateers, merchants, or detached ships of any kind, only fleets. If you want to sneak the entire French fleet down the Channel just do it one ship at a time and I guarantee you the lazy Brits will not venture out of port.

So to answer the original question, yes, make sure you're at war with the privateer nation and send out a fleet to patrol and clean them out. If you're not facing an enemy fleet threat you can spread your ships out, maybe two or three to a sea zone to keep the scum at bay.

Which brings me to my request that privateers should be attackable regardless if a state of war exists, or that placing sufficient privateers should generate a causus belli. The way things are now my precious trade can be almost entirely choked off by privateers and I have to look like a bad guy to everyone just to clear them out.

< Message edited by carnifex -- 11/2/2005 3:42:30 AM >

(in reply to Russian Guard)
Post #: 11
RE: Privateers - 11/2/2005 3:52:52 PM   
Russian Guard

Aha! Didn't know you had to be at war with the Nation to attack their Privateers, but makes sense I guess (although all privateers are scum )

Did indeed attack Turk Privateers last night, several times in fact.

(in reply to carnifex)
Post #: 12
RE: Privateers - 11/4/2005 12:12:43 AM   
Gratch

So there is no way to deal with Privateers unless you are at war with the nation to whom they belong?

(in reply to carnifex)
Post #: 13
RE: Privateers - 11/4/2005 12:46:50 PM   
YohanTM2

Having to be at war does not make sense. Privateers operated under a letter of marques and were fair game whether you were at war with that nation or not.

(in reply to Gratch)
Post #: 14
RE: Privateers - 11/4/2005 4:44:19 PM   
carnifex

Well, it sort of does, but only if the privateer also obeys the war status. There is a difference between a privateer and a pirate. The Letter of Marquee only authorized private vessels to attack foreign shipping if the two states were at war. If there was peace and the privateer attacked then the Letter would not apply and the privateer would really be a pirate, subject to attack by anyone.

As it currently stands, Privateers behave half-correctly. When you send them out they won't actually attack enemy ships (Merchants and such) unless the countries are at war, as privateers are supposed to. However, in terms of capturing goods and reducing trade they behave like pirates, except there is no sanction available to the target nation short of war.

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 15
RE: Privateers - 11/4/2005 8:20:16 PM   
Naomi

I guess the kind of privateers the game allows us to build right now are performing such malicious acts without their own national flags on in effect.

(in reply to carnifex)
Post #: 16
RE: Privateers - 11/5/2005 1:22:58 AM   
Gratch

I´m losing goods and money all the time to countries that I am not at war with, so that would make them pirates as far as I am concerned, and there is no way for me to stop it which is very annoying. Except to go to war that is.

(in reply to carnifex)
Post #: 17
RE: Privateers - 11/5/2005 3:18:07 AM   
Naomi

I was seldom so unnerved; my team of sea pirates was every so often the biggest and earned easily the top berth in the cargo-capturing race - hence my "parasites against parasites" policy. However, it always crosses my mind whether, with neither naval trade route nor merchant boats at work, I would yet have freight stolen by privateers.

(in reply to Gratch)
Post #: 18
RE: Privateers - 12/20/2005 6:04:36 PM   
canuck64

See my thread REPRISE-Privateers for more random ranting....

Yes Privateers currently frustrate me-but what would be SO COOL, is that if you could say engage them (without being at war). So many engagements would mean a CASUS BELLI (let's say ten)...BUT-the capper is...

What if you could (subject to quality maybe) allow the privateers to appear under a different flag? I believe this was done....

So as Britain, I could have pseudo-French privateers working on Spain. Spain decides to commit frigates to protect itself, battles ensue-but Spain and France have good relations...imagine the quandary of having to at some point (from Spanish POV, that is) decide whether to leave them because further interventions would cause Franco Spanish relations to deteriorate?(even though these sneaky bums are really englishmen?)

Eric, please give us more room to fight these scurvy dogs! Let individual ships attack them or give the privateers more intelligence as to whom they prey on? That would make frigates, often put out in one's and two's more useful. Truly, I think the actual line and heavy fleets ventured out rarely. Consider that a fleet's commitment means unprotected ports at home, and the sheer expense of such a commitment.....I don't think it happened often....or as often as we're asked in the game...

(in reply to Naomi)
Post #: 19
RE: Privateers - 12/20/2005 10:07:14 PM   
denisonh

Privateers were not that common in the European waters proper due to the significant naval presence (and lack of discreet anchorages) , they thrived in places where the there was a LACK OF NAVAL PRESENCE and ports of call on the "edge of the law".

There were not enough frigates to patrol everywhere, but where they did patrol privateers did not do well. A squadron of frigates should be able to work relatively well at reducing or eliminating the privateers in addition to potential poltical consequences for having privateers "caught" in euorpean waters.

The age of the pirate was in serious decline by the Napoleonic period as Navies became more organized and structured and extended their presence abroad, law and order spread abroad limiting the "safe havens", and political consequences of unruly privateers during peace became somwewhat of a problem for the powerws that sponsored them.

"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC

(in reply to canuck64)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> Privateers Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI