Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Renaming Units

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Mega-Campaigns for SP:WaW >> Renaming Units Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Renaming Units - 7/7/2005 4:35:31 AM   
RUPD3658

In past SP campaigns I have renamed units and leaders so as to be able to tell core from aux units as well as to keep better track of their purposes (AT squad 1 vs 3co/4th)

In my first Mega Campaign (MCLV) I have tried this and have encountered a problem. Between scenarios the names of the units revert back to their originally assigned ones. The leader names remain changed however.

Is there a way to keep the unit names from reverting back? I have no idea (or desire) how to use the editor so any other solution would be appreeciated.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke

Post #: 1
RE: Renaming Units - 7/7/2005 5:29:30 PM   
Jim1954

quote:

ORIGINAL: RUPD3658

In past SP campaigns I have renamed units and leaders so as to be able to tell core from aux units as well as to keep better track of their purposes (AT squad 1 vs 3co/4th)

In my first Mega Campaign (MCLV) I have tried this and have encountered a problem. Between scenarios the names of the units revert back to their originally assigned ones. The leader names remain changed however.

Is there a way to keep the unit names from reverting back? I have no idea (or desire) how to use the editor so any other solution would be appreeciated.

'Fraid not. It's just something you have to live with.

Jim1954
KMC/T

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 2
RE: Renaming Units - 10/26/2005 7:05:34 AM   
RUPD3658

It gets worse.

I remaned my leaders in MCDF and after a few scenarios I started seeing something odd. I would get messages such as " , reduces suppression". I went and looked at the units whose names I had changed and saw that they now had no name and zeros for their ratings! Their exp and morale were good but they had 0 armor skill, 0 arty skill, etc. In addion, the name portion of the screen was greyed out and could not be changed.

I am in the process of getting these units killed off to fix this.

Odd.......

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke

(in reply to Jim1954)
Post #: 3
RE: Renaming Units - 10/28/2005 3:20:23 PM   
RockinHarry

Unit Names in Mega Cams are pulled directly from the single scenarios. To change and get names to stick to your liking you would be required to rename stuff in EVERY scenario! (means load into editor, rename units, save again...)

Leader names are pulled from the core.dat file that is to be found in the particular Mega Cam folder. If you change the leader names in this file, these will then be used instead of the default ones, selected by the Mega Campaign creator. You can load the core.dat file in Freds WaWEditor. File format is the same as a normal scenario *.dat file.

However, I would not recommend to mess with the mentioned mega cam files and any damage that you might cause by "hacking" the files is by your own responsibility!

One of my theories about the "lost leader" bug is a certain incompatibility, caused by possible small differences of the mega campaign core force command structure as set in the core.dat file and the core force composition as is set for each scenario by each single scenario creator. OOB file changes (the standard OOB files in SPWAW, not MegaCam files!) during and after completion of a particular Mega Campaign might play an additinal worsening role. The final effect is that the Mega Campaign save files get corrupted thus showing the odd "...OOB file not found" error, as well as the lost/messed leaders. As said...just MY theory!

RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 4
RE: Renaming Units - 10/31/2005 9:47:11 PM   
Jim1954

quote:

ORIGINAL: RUPD3658

It gets worse.

I remaned my leaders in MCDF and after a few scenarios I started seeing something odd. I would get messages such as " , reduces suppression". I went and looked at the units whose names I had changed and saw that they now had no name and zeros for their ratings! Their exp and morale were good but they had 0 armor skill, 0 arty skill, etc. In addion, the name portion of the screen was greyed out and could not be changed.

I am in the process of getting these units killed off to fix this.

Odd.......

Killing them off probably will not fix the units.
Go to the depot, and join if you haven't, and go to this link and download the program. You can use it to fix the lost leader problem you are experiencing.

http://spwaw.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=216

Jim1954
KMC/T

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Mega-Campaigns for SP:WaW >> Renaming Units Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI