Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Beta 1.1 - improvement problem?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Tech Support >> Beta 1.1 - improvement problem? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Beta 1.1 - improvement problem? - 11/5/2005 9:50:31 AM   
kisner

I have played 5 seasons of an on-going league using beta 1.1. This was a 16-team league from 1901-1905. Here is some feedback that might be useful:

1. My human team dominated, winning its half of the association 4 of the 5 years. In 1905 the team went 122-39. I suspect the computer teams are not drafting very intelligently, making the game much less challenging than it could be.

2. I did a spot check of player improvement during the off-season, because it seemed like the players that start with low values but high potential were not becoming valuable. Here are some numbers compiled for the first 8 teams alphabetically after 1905:

a) No hitter gained more than 4 points of Contact (I use the 1-100 scale). Many pitchers would show higher gains than this. Is there a bug preventing hitters from surging upward? For the 8 teams (240 hitters or so in all) the following gains were made: +1 x 1, +3 x 4, +2 x 12, +1 x 10. (I did not track negative changes.)

b) No hitter gained more than 3 points of Power. Again, pitchers would show more improvement. This was odd, since I recall one year when my "human controlled" team had a trio of hitters gain 20 points of Power, but the power surge that year was never repeated in any of my other off-seasons. Gains were similar to those for Contact: +3 x 2, +2 x 2, +1 x 16.

c) Eye gains were more common than Contact or Power, but no hitter improved by more than +5. Only three players among the 8 teams checked improved more than +2.

d) Hands and Arm improvements averaged 1 per team. Gains were between +27 and +95, so this was the one area where players made "overnight" dramatic gains.

e) Gains in pitching Stuff and Velocity were very similar to the number and amount of hitters' gains in Contact and Power. There were relatively few gains, and most were +2 or +1. Control gains were like Eye gains -- fairly common, but again they were small.

The cumulative effect is to make Potential relatively unimportant. Johnny Evers, for instance, starts with a 5 Contact and a 100 Potential. After a few years in the game, he is still under-30 for Contact, and at the rate he is improving he'll never hit worth a darn. Players "born" with more mature skills are much more valuable.

Again, since pitchers are making bigger gains with their bats, I assume there is an error in here somewhere.
Post #: 1
RE: Beta 1.1 - improvement problem? - 11/5/2005 7:15:35 PM   
redeck

I am seeing very simular results in my league, anyone else?

thanks,
Dave

(in reply to kisner)
Post #: 2
RE: Beta 1.1 - improvement problem? - 11/5/2005 7:35:36 PM   
kisner

To make sure what I posted late last night is clear, let me summarize what seems to be a major problem: Hitters whose initial Contact/Power/Eye ratings are sub-40 when "born" appear to have little or no chance to progress to a MLB-worthy rating, regardless of their Potential rating. Pitchers whose initial Stuff/Velocity/Control ratings are sub-40 when "born" have the same problem. (I checked the league as a whole, not just my team, so it's not an isolated "luck" issue nor is it related to how I manage develop-time in the minors of a single team.) I am relatively sure that this is not intended.

< Message edited by kisner -- 11/5/2005 7:37:24 PM >

(in reply to redeck)
Post #: 3
RE: Beta 1.1 - improvement problem? - 11/6/2005 12:05:02 AM   
puresimmer

Have you tried beta 3?

The real player algorithms have changed significantly.

Developer, PureSim Baseball

(in reply to kisner)
Post #: 4
RE: Beta 1.1 - improvement problem? - 11/6/2005 1:18:05 AM   
DonBraswell

Shaun, I can't even download beta 2 so far. Any suggestions? Where is beta 3?
Don

Never mind I found beta 3.

< Message edited by DonBraswell -- 11/6/2005 1:38:41 AM >

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Tech Support >> Beta 1.1 - improvement problem? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI