Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Does counter-battery work for aircraft too?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Does counter-battery work for aircraft too? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Does counter-battery work for aircraft too? - 11/6/2005 7:59:37 PM   
SiG

Hello!
I was allways wondering: is there any way to simulate air-combat in this game? Since aircraft are listed together with artillery, I was thinking: if the enemy sends some aircraft to bomb me and I have an idle fighter on that turn, will the fighter "counter batery" (intercept ) the enemy planes, as it happens with regular artillery.
What can the more experienced gamers say about this?
Post #: 1
RE: Does counter-battery work for aircraft too? - 11/6/2005 8:27:22 PM   
Puukkoo

That's a good idea. The fighter bombers should be able to make some kind of bombing runs to the enemy batteries. Only thing that is against this idea is that the off-board artillery probably has some air defense units nearby and this should be simulated too. Another chapter would be the interceptors attempting to check these bombers.

Don't be shocked, I AM funny.

(in reply to SiG)
Post #: 2
RE: Does counter-battery work for aircraft too? - 11/6/2005 10:38:54 PM   
KG Erwin

Air-to-air combat does NOT happen in the game, nor does bombing runs on off-board assets. Off-board counterbattery arty fire DOES happen, but it's a random choice by the game engine -- the human player has no control over it.

(in reply to Puukkoo)
Post #: 3
RE: Does counter-battery work for aircraft too? - 11/6/2005 11:17:43 PM   
Puukkoo

It has happened to me that the AI counter-batteries fired at my medium bombers units. The game thinks those are just another artillery pieces.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 4
RE: Does counter-battery work for aircraft too? - 11/6/2005 11:59:04 PM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Puukkoo

It has happened to me that the AI counter-batteries fired at my medium bombers units. The game thinks those are just another artillery pieces.

Now THAT'S interesting! I never use medium bombers, just the on-board tactical fighters/dive bombers. Most players disregard using the mediums, and certain OOB variations eliminated them entirely. Maybe this idea needs to be reconsidered. You buy a couple of medium bombers, but DON'T use them on the battlefield at all. For amphib assaults, it may not be historically accurate, at least for the USMC, but for the Normandy landings, it is completely appropriate.

(in reply to Puukkoo)
Post #: 5
RE: Does counter-battery work for aircraft too? - 11/7/2005 11:26:02 AM   
Puukkoo

If it only had worked another way out, the bombers hit the artillery batteries and not the contrary.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 6
RE: Does counter-battery work for aircraft too? - 11/7/2005 1:37:16 PM   
SiG

quote:

ORIGINAL: Puukkoo

That makes me think: What are heavvy (90mm, 88mm) AA guns good for? Historically, they should be able to engage the medium bombers, but since they can't counter-battery, they seem to be only usefull against light atack planes. Is their added AT capacity enough to justfy having these lumbering big guns around instead of some lighter, mor mobile ones?

(in reply to Puukkoo)
Post #: 7
RE: Does counter-battery work for aircraft too? - 11/7/2005 10:56:08 PM   
IBTyrone

Hi SiG.

Speaking for the Italians, the 75mm L46 AA is the only gun available in the early war (available 1934-1946) that can stop Matilda tanks (pen value of 126) at range. It is worth buying in the early war years for this reason alone although it is tough to haul around and only has 15 AP rounds. I've never seen them fire against planes although I suppose they would if given the opportunity.

(in reply to SiG)
Post #: 8
RE: Does counter-battery work for aircraft too? - 11/8/2005 11:30:52 AM   
Puukkoo

90mm and 88mm are dreadful tank destroyers. Sometimes they even engage planes.

The issue of medium bombers is still quite new in Steel Panthers. The earlier versions, SP 1-3, did not have them as such but had for example He-111, SB-2, Bristol Blenheim, B-25 Marauder as strike element airplanes.

(in reply to SiG)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Does counter-battery work for aircraft too? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI