Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

creating PT boats?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> creating PT boats? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
creating PT boats? - 11/7/2005 8:50:13 PM   
doktor1957

Hi all:
In my battle against the AI, I have recaptured Singapore. I would like to create a PT boat TF here to harrass IJN shipping coming out of Palembang. I have a transport TF with supplies in Singapore, and 20 k supplies in the base itself. Intelligence screen says I have 40 pt boats available, yet the create PT boat button on both the TF and Base screens is not available (greyed out). What gives?

Dave
San Diegp
Post #: 1
RE: creating PT boats? - 11/7/2005 9:00:03 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: doktor1957

Hi all:
In my battle against the AI, I have recaptured Singapore. I would like to create a PT boat TF here to harrass IJN shipping coming out of Palembang. I have a transport TF with supplies in Singapore, and 20 k supplies in the base itself. Intelligence screen says I have 40 pt boats available, yet the create PT boat button on both the TF and Base screens is not available (greyed out). What gives?

Dave
San Diegp

This is somewhat problematic. Except at the beginning of the game, it SEEMS that you have to have supplies from the US West Coast to have the option to make PT boats. At the beginning of the game, some players have reported to be able to make them in places like Soerabaja.

So, if you have supplies in Singapore, i am betting they were either produced in theater, or hauled from Karachi, and in neither case can you make PTs...

(in reply to doktor1957)
Post #: 2
RE: creating PT boats? - 11/7/2005 9:05:57 PM   
Bradley7735

Check to see if you can do it in an American base. I'm betting you don't have British PT's available. The 40 available are probably all American.

You can change the HQ of Singapore to one of the American HQ's and then probably create PT's. I'm not sure, though.

The older I get, the better I was.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 3
RE: creating PT boats? - 11/7/2005 9:11:54 PM   
Rob Brennan UK

I 'think' it has to be US transports, which is a shame as the brits have shed loads at karachi, and no need to send any yank ones across.

Also Looking at 1.7 patch notes it appears that you wont need national specific AS etc for sub supply, might also allow non US transports to magic up Pt's .. although i consider PT boats to be way overpowered imo.

sorry for the spelling . English is my main language , I just can't type . and i'm too lazy to edit :)

(in reply to Bradley7735)
Post #: 4
RE: creating PT boats? - 11/7/2005 9:13:37 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bradley7735

Check to see if you can do it in an American base. I'm betting you don't have British PT's available. The 40 available are probably all American.

You can change the HQ of Singapore to one of the American HQ's and then probably create PT's. I'm not sure, though.

An interesting thought. However, it seems to have something to do with supplies. If you use USN ships hauling supplies from SF, you will note they have the ability to create PTs (from the TF screen, iirc). If you use USN ships hauling supplies from Karachi, i don't think they have the same option. I could be wrong on this, but many moons ago, there was some investigation about how come sometimes you could create PTs, and sometimes you couldn't. There never was a very satisfactory answer. The experiment of changing the HQ of Singapore would be interesting (if expensive in PPs).

Post #: 5
RE: creating PT boats? - 11/7/2005 9:19:40 PM   
Bradley7735

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

quote:

An interesting thought. However, it seems to have something to do with supplies. If you use USN ships hauling supplies from SF, you will note they have the ability to create PTs (from the TF screen, iirc). If you use USN ships hauling supplies from Karachi, i don't think they have the same option. I could be wrong on this, but many moons ago, there was some investigation about how come sometimes you could create PTs, and sometimes you couldn't. There never was a very satisfactory answer. The experiment of changing the HQ of Singapore would be interesting (if expensive in PPs).

It's the HQ. Task forces have the same HQ as the port in which they are formed. Look at the strategic map and select only one HQ. You'll see the land bases and LCU's for that HQ, but you'll also see some task forces all over the map. Especially West coast. You'll see any auto-convoy task force and any you form from the WC and send to Australia.

Also, PP's for changing Singapore will be not that great. SE Asia is a non-restricted HQ, so it's only 10 times the AF plus the Port. So maybe 150 to 180 in total cost. (not insignificant, but also not 1800)

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 6
RE: creating PT boats? - 11/7/2005 10:01:50 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

It's the HQ. Task forces have the same HQ as the port in which they are formed. Look at the strategic map and select only one HQ. You'll see the land bases and LCU's for that HQ, but you'll also see some task forces all over the map. Especially West coast. You'll see any auto-convoy task force and any you form from the WC and send to Australia.

Also, PP's for changing Singapore will be not that great. SE Asia is a non-restricted HQ, so it's only 10 times the AF plus the Port. So maybe 150 to 180 in total cost. (not insignificant, but also not 1800)

This makes sense, and would explain MOST of the wrinkles. I am not sure why ABDA could get PTs in the beginning of the game (but apparently, not later).

Also interesting about changing PPs in non-restricted HQ.

Post #: 7
RE: creating PT boats? - 11/7/2005 10:05:05 PM   
Bradley7735

Some of the MTB's are Dutch. Some are British. Just about all of them are US, though. It's possible that the Dutch one's don't respawn. I don't know for sure. I play the AI and I just don't use PT's vs the AI.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 8
RE: creating PT boats? - 11/7/2005 10:06:58 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

Some of the MTB's are Dutch. Some are British. Just about all of them are US, though. It's possible that the Dutch one's don't respawn. I don't know for sure. I play the AI and I just don't use PT's vs the AI.

Yes, but when you CREATE PTs in ABDA-land, they come in as US PTs, iirc. There are British PTs in the game, but they are represented as US-types (damn slot shortage!!)

Post #: 9
RE: creating PT boats? - 11/7/2005 10:10:19 PM   
tabpub

It's not at all just the base;
if the base is American, then it can build PT if there are scads of supplies there.
If there is an American transport with supplies, it can create PT.
You can send an empty American AK to a port, load supplies from said port and then create.

To a prior post, there a a bunch of US AK's that are either in Karachi or reinforce there. Most of them were the (insert state name)ian's that you see.

Sing to the tune of "Man on the Flying Trapeze"
..Oh! We fly o'er the treetops with inches to spare,
There's smoke in the cockpit and gray in my hair.
The tracers look fine as a strafin' we go.
But, brother, we're TOO God damn low...

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 10
RE: creating PT boats? - 11/7/2005 10:19:03 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: tabpub

if the base is American, then it can build PT if there are scads of supplies there.
You can send an empty American AK to a port, load supplies from said port and then create.

To a prior post, there a a bunch of US AK's that are either in Karachi or reinforce there. Most of them were the (insert state name)ian's that you see.

I might be wrong, but as i stated earlier, i thought the USN transports that came in at Karachi could NOT make PTs.

An easy test about the base is to (1) verify if this is true, (USN ships forming at Karachi can not make PTs) and if they can't, then (2) make a new transport TF with the USN ships, assign them home port of SF, and see if they can then make PTs.

(in reply to tabpub)
Post #: 11
RE: creating PT boats? - 11/7/2005 10:45:15 PM   
tabpub

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: tabpub

I might be wrong, but as i stated earlier, i thought the USN transports that came in at Karachi could NOT make PTs.

An easy test about the base is to (1) verify if this is true, (USN ships forming at Karachi can not make PTs) and if they can't, then (2) make a new transport TF with the USN ships, assign them home port of SF, and see if they can then make PTs.

I guess that the PT's that I build in Akyab are magical then or something. Or the ones in Darwin. All I did was make sure that there was an American AK with supplies and <boom>, there are the little children floating around her.

Sing to the tune of "Man on the Flying Trapeze"
..Oh! We fly o'er the treetops with inches to spare,
There's smoke in the cockpit and gray in my hair.
The tracers look fine as a strafin' we go.
But, brother, we're TOO God damn low...

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 12
RE: creating PT boats? - 11/7/2005 10:53:43 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

I guess that the PT's that I build in Akyab are magical then or something. Or the ones in Darwin. All I did was make sure that there was an American AK with supplies and <boom>, there are the little children floating around her.

No, not saying they are magical - just saying i haven't figured out the rules yet. I'll have to fool around with this when i get to the game...

(in reply to tabpub)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> creating PT boats? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI