Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

1.1 Final Beta

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> 1.1 Final Beta Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
1.1 Final Beta - 11/9/2005 4:19:26 AM   
puresimmer

OK, barring any catastrophic issues this is the final beta release. I'll probably get the public 1.1 release out the door later this week.

Please do NOT download this if you are not interested in beta testing, sit tight until the final release if you are not the adventurous type. That said, this should be pretty much rock-solid.

This has the final tweaks to the engine (real player and fictional) as well as a few new fixes for sandbox mode.

Here is the download

Please report any issues ASAP!

Note: This REQUIRES a full install of PureSim (this is a 27mb patch).

< Message edited by puresimmer -- 11/9/2005 2:54:05 PM >

Developer, PureSim Baseball
Post #: 1
RE: 1.1 Final Beta - 11/9/2005 7:45:48 AM   
BryanK

If I start a new association and set the league to begin in 1902, but I seed it with players from 1903, the association will start in 1903. Is that new, or has that always been the case? I know that in the last version we could seed an association with players from before the assn start date, and said date didn't change.

In any event, I'll have a real player league starting ~1900 run while I'm asleep and at work. I'll report back what happens, but I've been uber impressed with the other betas thus far.

Thanks, Shaun.

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 2
RE: 1.1 Final Beta - 11/9/2005 2:56:13 PM   
puresimmer

quote:

If I start a new association and set the league to begin in 1902, but I seed it with players from 1903, the association will start in 1903. Is that new, or has that always been the case? I know that in the last version we could seed an association with players from before the assn start date, and said date didn't change.

That is by design. Thanks for the nice comments and all the helpful analysis, testing, and other projects you do!

(in reply to BryanK)
Post #: 3
RE: 1.1 Final Beta - 11/9/2005 2:56:52 PM   
puresimmer

Any of you guys out there download and install 1.1 yet?

Anyone hit any major issues?

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 4
RE: 1.1 Final Beta - 11/9/2005 7:52:24 PM   
StyxNCa

Well I'm not exactly sure what the CON rating is about, but I am guessing it has to do with the batting avg. If that is so, then there is a problem when importing in sandlot mode. I am getting a good number of people, even those who played full seasons, and most with BA over .250 with a "5" con rating. I have some others who had BA around .220 with CON rating much higher than "5".

Again, I am guessing the CON rating has to do with BA.

< Message edited by StyxNCa -- 11/9/2005 7:54:50 PM >

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 5
RE: 1.1 Final Beta - 11/9/2005 11:04:26 PM   
Erik Rutins

Just a note to say that v1.1 Beta 4 is now also available in the Members' Club.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to StyxNCa)
Post #: 6
RE: 1.1 Final Beta - 11/10/2005 1:18:18 AM   
BryanK

It's a labor of love, Shaun.
I've been around since the BBedit days when I was all of like 12 years old. I've dreamt of the game that Puresim is quickly becoming for quite some time now. I'm not a computer programer... so I've just had to find other ways to make a contribution :)

Beta 4 is ridiculously impressive. I ran it last night and through today; it was as much a test of the custom database I've been building, but the results have been spot on.

The only question I have is if anything has changed since beta 3 with respect to fictional players or, more specifically, the performance of fictional players after the database runs out of players to import? I looked at this in beta 3, and there was a rather large offensive explosion...

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 7
RE: 1.1 Final Beta - 11/10/2005 2:12:40 PM   
puresimmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: StyxNCa

Well I'm not exactly sure what the CON rating is about, but I am guessing it has to do with the batting avg. If that is so, then there is a problem when importing in sandlot mode. I am getting a good number of people, even those who played full seasons, and most with BA over .250 with a "5" con rating. I have some others who had BA around .220 with CON rating much higher than "5".

Again, I am guessing the CON rating has to do with BA.

Can you give me some examples of what steps you are going through on the import, and whom you are importing?

(in reply to StyxNCa)
Post #: 8
RE: 1.1 Final Beta - 11/10/2005 7:07:31 PM   
StyxNCa

I'm importing players for an "All Time League" I am creating, but a few players with low ratings are Sparky Adams in his 1st full season (311 AB, .289 BA). He rcvd a 5 CON.

Cap Anson from 1871 (120 AB, .325 BA)...He had over 100 AB so it isn't a full season, but I hope the game isn't set up for players over 100 AB but less that 200 AB being considered as "little used" players who receive extremely low ratings. He rcvd a 5 CON.

I also noticed if I import Anson 2nd, right after Hank Aaron, his ratings mirror those of Aaron's.

Bobby Allison, from 1959 (570 AB, .261 BA)...rcvd 5 CON.

Now, the other end of the spectrum, one example is Bobby Abreu in his 1st season over 100 AB(188 AB, .250 BA) receiving a 100 CON rating.

I have some pitcher examples as well, but it would probably be easier to send you the association. I haven't imported enough players yet and maybe if I imported more those ratings would change, as they used to do.

Another thing I tripped on last night is I receive that error 3201 if I try to import 2 batters without 1st importing a pitcher. Seems I have to import 1 of each, however that's no biggie now that I know that needs to be done. Just letting you know.

Basically everything seems pretty darn good, except for how ratings are being assigned.

What are the ratings based on when creating a sandlot league with players from different ERA's? Knowing that would make my understanding much better.

If you need more examples let me know and I will send the association to you.

Thx.

< Message edited by StyxNCa -- 11/10/2005 7:28:07 PM >

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 9
RE: 1.1 Final Beta - 11/10/2005 10:10:46 PM   
jockmd

I have posted this issue a few times, looking for an answer:

“When importing historical players, not all the years for that player are available. Best example is Babe Ruth. Cannot get 1921 or 1930 to import. Is there a fix?”

I have updated as your beta patches have come out and the following issue still remains. Try to import Babe Ruth. In 1921, he played primarily outfield and hit 59 homers. This data is in the lahman database, and if I import the 1921 season, the real stats come out, but in importing, he is listed as pitching in a couple of games and in the OF none.

Your game is outstanding, and it is everything I had hoped for in a computer sim. I like to play with individual’s greatest seasons, and have over 3000 players to input to various leagues. If this is fixed, even better.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 10
RE: 1.1 Final Beta - 11/11/2005 2:26:42 AM   
BryanK

I've run over 60 years of testing, and i have a lone issue to report. Biff Wysong was a journeyman pitcher for the Reds, and since he never really logged an significant time, puresim imported hiim with low stats. i.e. he was around <10/100 in stuff, control, & velocity.

He stayed in the minors every year of his career but one, and logged ERAs at or below 1.00 each year. His one year in the big show, he pitched 186 innings and gave up a lone earned run to yield an ERA of 0.05

I think there might be a minor issue with how PS handles the scrubby players; aside from that this beta represents remarkable work :)

< Message edited by BryanK -- 11/11/2005 2:28:31 AM >

(in reply to jockmd)
Post #: 11
RE: 1.1 Final Beta - 11/11/2005 5:44:52 AM   
BryanK

Minor, minor point...
The projected batting averages in the "most feared hitters" list on PSPN are coming in around the ~.220 range, even for players like Manny Ramirez and Bonds.

(in reply to BryanK)
Post #: 12
RE: 1.1 Final Beta - 11/11/2005 7:08:02 AM   
pasternakski

quote:

ORIGINAL: BryanK
He stayed in the minors every year of his career but one, and logged ERAs at or below 1.00 each year. His one year in the big show, he pitched 186 innings and gave up a lone earned run to yield an ERA of 0.05

Hey, stud. You might want to check on old Biff's official stats. He pitched for Cincy from '30-'32, had an ERA of around six, and walked more hitters than innings pitched. Started a few but never completed a game and compiled a W-L record of 1-3. The poor sucker died in 1951 at age 46.

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to BryanK)
Post #: 13
RE: 1.1 Final Beta - 11/11/2005 7:15:46 AM   
BryanK

I'm sorry; I wasn't as lucid as I should have been. I was describing his stats in the game. Dude was a total scrub in real life -- that's part of the reason Puresim gave him garbage ratings. The really weird thing is that his in-game performance was ridiculous... and even though he was tearing up the minors, the game knew to keep him there most of the time, probably because his pitching ratings were all below 10 on the 100 point scale.

I need sleep...

(in reply to pasternakski)
Post #: 14
RE: 1.1 Final Beta - 11/11/2005 7:28:52 AM   
KG Erwin

Biff? Isn't that the "Back to the Future" guy that was always tormenting Marty McFly? How could anyone root for a guy named "Biff"? How did he get into MLB? Is there another movie here? "Back to the Future IV: Biff Goes to the Majors"

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 11/11/2005 7:30:35 AM >

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 15
RE: 1.1 Final Beta - 11/11/2005 8:13:23 AM   
pasternakski

Biff, son of Willy Loman...

Don't worry, Bryan, your stuff is still XLNT! My stuff is more Biff-like.

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 16
RE: 1.1 Final Beta - 11/11/2005 8:32:34 AM   
KG Erwin

The beautiful part is, once in a while, if you're lucky, you can find that elusive "diamond in the rough". It's almost like playing the lottery.

(in reply to pasternakski)
Post #: 17
RE: 1.1 Final Beta - 11/12/2005 2:42:36 AM   
puresimmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: StyxNCa

I'm importing players for an "All Time League" I am creating, but a few players with low ratings are Sparky Adams in his 1st full season (311 AB, .289 BA). He rcvd a 5 CON.

Cap Anson from 1871 (120 AB, .325 BA)...He had over 100 AB so it isn't a full season, but I hope the game isn't set up for players over 100 AB but less that 200 AB being considered as "little used" players who receive extremely low ratings. He rcvd a 5 CON.

I also noticed if I import Anson 2nd, right after Hank Aaron, his ratings mirror those of Aaron's.

Bobby Allison, from 1959 (570 AB, .261 BA)...rcvd 5 CON.

Now, the other end of the spectrum, one example is Bobby Abreu in his 1st season over 100 AB(188 AB, .250 BA) receiving a 100 CON rating.

I have some pitcher examples as well, but it would probably be easier to send you the association. I haven't imported enough players yet and maybe if I imported more those ratings would change, as they used to do.

Another thing I tripped on last night is I receive that error 3201 if I try to import 2 batters without 1st importing a pitcher. Seems I have to import 1 of each, however that's no biggie now that I know that needs to be done. Just letting you know.

Basically everything seems pretty darn good, except for how ratings are being assigned.

What are the ratings based on when creating a sandlot league with players from different ERA's? Knowing that would make my understanding much better.

If you need more examples let me know and I will send the association to you.

Thx.

This is all related to how PureSim rates players. In order to deal with statistical normalization issues, players are rated relative to the association they are in. So, while a guy with 12 HR may have a power rating of 100 in a 1910 association, in a 2005 association he may be a 30. The other issue here is when you first start importing players into a sandbox association the ratings for all players will change radically as you import players until you start to reach a good number of players and the curve will smooth out. So, keep on importing and you'll see things adjust.

(in reply to StyxNCa)
Post #: 18
RE: 1.1 Final Beta - 11/12/2005 4:38:27 PM   
StyxNCa

OK, that explains alot. I figured they may change as more players are added. Thx.

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> 1.1 Final Beta Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI