Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

20,000 Victory Points...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> 20,000 Victory Points... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
20,000 Victory Points... - 11/11/2005 5:44:25 PM   
ADavidB

A thought came to mind recently on how to grab an autovictory as a Japanese player in a campaign game, when I happened to notice that the "USA" base is worth 20,000 victory points to the Japanese. My strategy would be something like the following, based upon a "normal" scenario 15 start and the usual capture of the Philippines and the DEI in early 1942:

1 - The Japanese player starts grabbing empty bases in the Aleutians as refueling and way-stations, using the KB for protection.

2 - The Japanese player ignores most of the developed bases in Alaska except for Sitka Island in order to save time.

3 - The Japanese player ignores Prince Rupert and goes full force into Vancouver with several divisions, all the Japanese tank units and all the Japanese paratroops, along with base forces and an Air HQ.

4 - The Japanese player takes Vancouver and sends a couple of divisions down to Seattle to tie up any American counter-attack.

5a - if the Japanese transport planes can reach, the Japanese player drops paratroops on "USA" to capture it

5b - if the Japanese transport planes can't reach, the Japanese player drops paratroops on Portland to cut that route, then sends the Japanese armored units on a race to "USA"

6 - The Japanese player brings all the Bettys and Zeros possible into Seattle to attack any US air bases within reach, any TFs that attempt to close on Seattle, and any troops that attempt to go to the defense of USA.

7 - Assuming that 5a succeeds, the Japanese player still sends the tank units to USA to help to defend it.

8 - The Japanese player, having already prepared numerous transport TFs sends them to Seattle, along with all of the Japanese BBs in order to defend the base.

9 - Plan that this is done close enough to the end of 1942 so that:

a - the clock runs out on the US attempts to recover "USA"

and

b - the Allied player has already sent lots of West Coast forces to the Central Pacific and further west

Those 20K victory points ought to put the Japanese player into a clear 4:1 victory on January 1, 1943.

Cheers -

Dave Baranyi
Post #: 1
RE: 20,000 Victory Points... - 11/11/2005 5:55:32 PM   
tsimmonds

The Allied player gets like a half-dozen extra USA divisions if you are on the ground on or east of column 132 (which I believe is just west of Vancouver), plus the American LCU reinforcements get bumped forward by 6 months.

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to ADavidB)
Post #: 2
RE: 20,000 Victory Points... - 11/11/2005 6:00:48 PM   
ADavidB

quote:

ORIGINAL: irrelevant

The Allied player gets like a half-dozen extra USA divisions if you are on the ground on or east of column 132 (which I believe is just west of Vancouver), plus the American LCU reinforcements get bumped forward by 6 months.

True, but can they get from San Fran to USA or Vancouver in time to stop a December invasion? This is all about winning on points.

Thanks for the comments -

Dave Baranyi

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 3
RE: 20,000 Victory Points... - 11/11/2005 6:01:08 PM   
Feinder

A thought came to mind recently on how to grab an autovictory as a Japanese player in a campaign game, when I happened to notice that the "USA" base is worth 20,000 victory points to the Japanese. My strategy would be something like the following, based upon a "normal" scenario 15 start and the usual capture of the Philippines and the DEI in early 1942:

1 - The Japanese player starts grabbing empty bases in the Aleutians as refueling and way-stations, using the KB for protection.

2 - The Japanese player ignores most of the developed bases in Alaska except for Sitka Island in order to save time.

3 - The Japanese player ignores Prince Rupert and goes full force into Vancouver with several divisions, all the Japanese tank units and all the Japanese paratroops, along with base forces and an Air HQ.
Just be advised that Vanc triggers the immediate release of 180 days worth of reinforcements. I don't know what shows up in Vanc, I expect any Canadian reinforcements start here, altho I doubt there are many in 1942. I don't know what would arrive at Seattle (quite a bit I'm sure), and certainly gobs of stuff at San Fran. But we'll assume that you can probably capture Vanc

4 - The Japanese player takes Vancouver and sends a couple of divisions down to Seattle to tie up any American counter-attack.
This isn't a quick run. Out of Vanc is road, so it would actually take you about a week to 10 days to actually get to Seattle. And lots of auto-reinforcements there now. I'm not sure I'd bother with this.

5a - if the Japanese transport planes can reach, the Japanese player drops paratroops on "USA" to capture it
They can. Not all of them, but there are some with very long legs.

5b - if the Japanese transport planes can't reach, the Japanese player drops paratroops on Portland to cut that route, then sends the Japanese armored units on a race to "USA"
Not necessary. I think you could do it via para. Portland will also be heavily populated by auto-reinforcements, and so you'd HAVE to capture USA via paras (you'd never get past Portland). On your plus side, I don't think any reinforcenets arrive at USA, so it would still be undefended (does anybody leave the BF there?)

All the rest is unnecessary. Just time it precicely (would be difficult, but possible), and if you captre USA during the last weeks of 1942, you win. It takes about 2 weeks to move from the coast to USA. The only counter-offense would be limited to paras. I don't know how many would be available in 1942 (I know there are two Btns avail by June, but that certatinly wouldn't be sufficient to retake from several IJA para Bdes.

6 - The Japanese player brings all the Bettys and Zeros possible into Seattle to attack any US air bases within reach, any TFs that attempt to close on Seattle, and any troops that attempt to go to the defense of USA.

7 - Assuming that 5a succeeds, the Japanese player still sends the tank units to USA to help to defend it.

8 - The Japanese player, having already prepared numerous transport TFs sends them to Seattle, along with all of the Japanese BBs in order to defend the base.

9 - Plan that this is done close enough to the end of 1942 so that:

a - the clock runs out on the US attempts to recover "USA"

and

b - the Allied player has already sent lots of West Coast forces to the Central Pacific and further west

Those 20K victory points ought to put the Japanese player into a clear 4:1 victory on January 1, 1943.

Cheers -

Dave Baranyi

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to ADavidB)
Post #: 4
RE: 20,000 Victory Points... - 11/11/2005 6:02:49 PM   
tsimmonds

They probably can't stop you from taking Vancouver, but they sure could make things interesting for the rest of your plan.

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to ADavidB)
Post #: 5
RE: 20,000 Victory Points... - 11/11/2005 6:05:30 PM   
ADavidB

quote:

Not necessary. I think you could do it via para. I Portland will also be heavily populated by auto-reinforcements, and you'd HAVE to capture it via paras. On your plus side, I don't think any reinforcenets arrive here, so it would still be undefended (does anybody leave the BF there?)

This is one of the things that I'm not clear on - does the US only get scheduled reinforcements? And do those reinforcements appear in their scheduled arrival locations (which are predominantly San Fran)?

Thanks for the comments -

Dave

(And yes, I do leave the BF there - I'm really paranoid...)

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 6
RE: 20,000 Victory Points... - 11/11/2005 6:09:22 PM   
tsimmonds

They get some unspecified number of extra divisions in addition to bumping the reinforcements 6 months. I don't know where the reinfs arrive, hardly ever even looked at the Allied stuff.

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to ADavidB)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> 20,000 Victory Points... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI