Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Vassal

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad >> Vassal Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Vassal - 11/8/2005 12:44:38 PM   
stevel40831

Can someone please provide a realistic estimate of when the Vassal module will be available/finished? I realize that to most people this isn't a big deal, but, I had asked several questions about PC play before making this purchase and was led to believe that it would be playable either solitaire, PBEM or on-line through Vassal. It has been close to two months now since the games release and there is no longer any mention of the module.

At the risk of sounding like a jerk, I think that the advertising for the game is a bit misleading as it sounds as if there already IS a Vassal module. I would not have purchased this game without it as I don't have the room to put out boardgames anymore. I had purchased LnL-Vietnam to learn this game system (on Vassal) and am very much looking forward to playing BoH but have been greatly disappointed in the non-release of a critical part of the game (for me) that was in the advertising before its release (and still is!) but is simply not available.

Thanks for listening.... I feel better now.

Steve
Post #: 1
RE: Vassal - 11/8/2005 1:33:29 PM   
markhwalker

quote:

there is no longer any mention of the module.

That's incorrect. Where is there no mention, Steve? Did you go to the game's homepage (www.locknloadgame.com) forum? Did you go to Consimworld? How about Strategyzone Online or Boardgamegeek? These are not the games only forums, in fact they are not the busiest.

Bill Ash has worked hard on the VASSAL module, it incorperates many additions to the game, including Volksgrenadiers, division patches, Sherman Firefly, and some terrain overlays. I'd rather wait until we are sure the module is perfect than release it too early.

Best,

Mark

(in reply to stevel40831)
Post #: 2
RE: Vassal - 11/8/2005 4:16:21 PM   
stevel40831

quote:

ORIGINAL: markhwalker

quote:

there is no longer any mention of the module.

That's incorrect. Where is there no mention, Steve? Did you go to the game's homepage (www.locknloadgame.com) forum? Did you go to Consimworld? How about Strategyzone Online or Boardgamegeek? These are not the games only forums, in fact they are not the busiest.

Bill Ash has worked hard on the VASSAL module, it incorperates many additions to the game, including Volksgrenadiers, division patches, Sherman Firefly, and some terrain overlays. I'd rather wait until we are sure the module is perfect than release it too early.

Best,

Mark

I guess technically you're right... there is mention of it... that it might be out by the end of the month. I guess what I meant was that there were not answers different than those given in September and October.

I understand that Matrix is not the best forum for this game as I browse the others that you mention (posting at the homepage occasionally) with the exception of Boardgamegeek. I look at these sites several times every day with the hopes that the module is out.

There is no doubt that Bill is working hard on it, but, you're missing my point that it was deceptive the way it was presented initially (and still is for that matter). If it is advertised (which it is) as playable with Vassal it should be playable with Vassal upon purchase, not several months afterwards. And, before you point it out, I shouldn't have to design the LnL BoH Vassal module from scratch to make the game playable with Vassal as that's not how it's advertised and that's not why I bought the game. If enhancements to the existing game are being made through Vassal that's interesting, but, if it's delaying the release (which it apparently is) than it's counterproductive to giving the customer what they paid for.

(in reply to markhwalker)
Post #: 3
RE: Vassal - 11/8/2005 9:57:09 PM   
scotswahay

At the risk of being shot down in flames, I have to agree with Steve. I bought the game on the strength of the quality of the a/w and the fact that it came with a vassal module. I expected the module to be ready with the release. I have no interest in playing solitaire so the game remains unpunched and unplayed on my shelf.

I only buy games that either come with cyberboard or vassal gameboxes or modules, or if I need to, and they interest me enough I make them myself.

I do understand that most of the modules for games are produced as 'labours of love' and I also know that Bill had some trouble, after Rodney updated the vassal software, but that was weeks ago now - still no module.

I also agree about the content of the module, all the extras can come as an upgrade, I want the module of the game that I bought, so that I can learn how to play it online against somebody, and I would really like it very soon, if for no other reason that I have now bought other boardgames and they are going to supercede LnL.

Post #: 4
RE: Vassal - 11/8/2005 11:20:53 PM   
Adam Parker

Hey Steve I know you play Forgotten Heroes with VLnL.

I've tried a couple of times to get a scenario going but I haven't read the various users guides so my efforts have been totally hopeless!

Have you got any step by step advice as to how to get a solitaire VLnL game going?

Thanks
Adam.

Post #: 5
RE: Vassal - 11/9/2005 2:55:01 AM   
stevel40831

quote:

ORIGINAL: Adam Parker

Hey Steve I know you play Forgotten Heroes with VLnL.

I've tried a couple of times to get a scenario going but I haven't read the various users guides so my efforts have been totally hopeless!

Have you got any step by step advice as to how to get a solitaire VLnL game going?

Thanks
Adam.

Hi Adam,

Here's what I do:

1. Install the VLnL.mod if you haven't done it already.
2. Double-click on Vassal icon
3. From Vassal screen select "Play Module"
4. Double-click on "lib" folder
5. Double-click on VLnL.mod file
6. Go to "file" and select "new game"
7. You will be asked to select the map(s) you want, pick it/them from the list and you can flip it so it's the way you need it for the scenario.
8. Click on "counters" and get the units, weapons and vehicles that you need and set them up the way you want them.
9. Play it like you would the boardgame! Keep in mind there is no AI, you're playing against yourself. This was good for me so I could learn the system.

To be honest, I've never really had an interest in the Vietnam era but found the whole thing very interesting, especially with the impulse system. You'll see as you go along that there are shortcut keys to do different things, but, these instructions should get you going. Have fun!

(in reply to Adam Parker)
Post #: 6
RE: Vassal - 11/9/2005 7:29:52 AM   
stanguay

Adam

The procedure Steve gave you is good if you have Vassal installed but, with VLnL on the CD that came with Forgotten Heroes, you coiuld play without downloading and installing Vassal. IN this case, you would simply install VLnL from the CD, get the update from the VLnL website and play just as Steve outlined.

Steve

Where did you saw a mention for a VASSAL module in any advertisement before the game was printed ? I'm not challenging you, I'm just curious as I can't remember any such advertisement.

Regards

Post #: 7
RE: Vassal - 11/9/2005 12:57:31 PM   
stevel40831

quote:

ORIGINAL: stanguay

Adam

The procedure Steve gave you is good if you have Vassal installed but, with VLnL on the CD that came with Forgotten Heroes, you coiuld play without downloading and installing Vassal. IN this case, you would simply install VLnL from the CD, get the update from the VLnL website and play just as Steve outlined.

Steve

Where did you saw a mention for a VASSAL module in any advertisement before the game was printed ? I'm not challenging you, I'm just curious as I can't remember any such advertisement.

Regards

It's here in the Matrix advertising... still there of course and the game that I bought is still obviously not playable via TCP/IP or PBEM.

Game Type: Board Game
Complexity: Easy
Field of Play: Tactical
Historical Period: World War II
Theater: France
Turn Length: Several minutes
Players: 1 or 2 players
TCP/IP: Yes, with VASSAL download
PBEM: Yes with VASSAL download.

There have been several threads and lots of questions about the module. If I buy a car I don't have to invent the wheels to drive it do I? No, of course not. If I buy a game that says it's playable with "Vassal download" then I don't expect to have to download Vassal and design it from scratch.

I don't want to give the wrong impression here, I love the game system although I haven't played BoH yet, only FH. I simply expect to play the game I bought in the way that I choose, which is using Vassal, as this method of play is listed in the advertising. There is no doubt that if it said:

TCP/IP: No, future release.
PBEM: No, future release.

I wouldn't have bought it and I'm sure there are others who wouldn't have either. Not asking for the moon here, just to play the game that I bought via Vassal.

(in reply to stanguay)
Post #: 8
RE: Vassal - 11/10/2005 4:18:15 AM   
stanguay

Steve

You're right, it is advertised a such, it's just that I did not see it as I did not learn about BoH from Matrix (first-time customer in this case).

Post #: 9
RE: Vassal - 11/10/2005 11:51:58 AM   
markhwalker

Steve,

You have a good point, and I'm sorry that you have had to wait. We are working on it.

Best,

Mark

(in reply to stanguay)
Post #: 10
RE: Vassal - 11/14/2005 3:39:37 AM   
Deadrise

The BOH VASSL mod is ready for download at the http://www.locknloadgame.com/ site :)

Thanks Mark and Co

John

Post #: 11
RE: Vassal - 11/14/2005 2:46:12 PM   
scotswahay

:::::::::::)))))))))))))))))

At last

Thanks Mark/Bill

Looks just a beautiful as the boardgame

Steve

(in reply to Deadrise)
Post #: 12
RE: Vassal - 11/14/2005 8:35:00 PM   
markhwalker

You are all welcome, but the man to thank is Bill Ash. He is rapidly becoming THE VASSAL guru on the web... at least in my opinion. He has dumped so many cool features into this BoH Mod that we finally just had to tell him to stop.

There are division patches, delete admin markers, "unofficial" British Fireflys (I may change their penetration values), Volkgrenadiers, and much more. He is a genius and we are lucky to have him do these things.

Thanks, Bill.

Best,

Mark

(in reply to scotswahay)
Post #: 13
RE: Vassal - 11/14/2005 10:59:42 PM   
stevel40831

Mark & Bill,

Thanks for the Vassal mod, looks great! I think I feel a touch of the flu coming on... not sure if I'll be able to make it into work in the morning!

Steve

Post #: 14
RE: Vassal - 11/15/2005 4:36:36 PM   
Hannes

For he's a jolly good fellow, Which nobody can deny.
Awesome job Billyboy!

Post #: 15
RE: Vassal - 11/16/2005 5:00:15 PM   
markhwalker

quote:

Thanks for the Vassal mod, looks great! I think I feel a touch of the flu coming on... not sure if I'll be able to make it into work in the morning!

And thank you Steve for the gentle nudge.

Best,

Mark

(in reply to Hannes)
Post #: 16
RE: Vassal - 11/16/2005 10:02:27 PM   
RedMike

AAAaaahhhh!!! Thanks Mark, now let the games begin.

RedMike OUT

Hannibal ad portas

Post #: 17
RE: Vassal - 11/20/2005 11:26:24 PM   
Adam Parker

quote:

ORIGINAL: stevel40831

quote:

Adam.

Hi Adam,

Here's what I do:

1. Install the VLnL.mod if you haven't done it already.
2. Double-click on Vassal icon
3. From Vassal screen select "Play Module"
4. Double-click on "lib" folder
5. Double-click on VLnL.mod file
6. Go to "file" and select "new game"
7. You will be asked to select the map(s) you want, pick it/them from the list and you can flip it so it's the way you need it for the scenario.
8. Click on "counters" and get the units, weapons and vehicles that you need and set them up the way you want them.
9. Play it like you would the boardgame! Keep in mind there is no AI, you're playing against yourself. This was good for me so I could learn the system.

Hi guys. I finally got round to d'loading the new BoH module - I needed to apply that full Java upgrade too via the LnL site link and as far as I can tell, all is working fine. Very busy at the office this time of the year and I've managed to get myself side-tracked with Age of Empires 3 as well. I'm scratching my head over that game... is it a game?

Anyway, when it comes to placing info counters in a VBoH game, am I doing the right thing by opening "counters", placing them on the map and then clicking "remove counters" in the Admin Phase? Do this over and again throughout tje scenario?

How also do I place/remove FFE and Smoke. I see they've got separate buttons?

Lastly, is there a line of sight check "rubber band" as in VLnL?

Thanks all and a lovely piece of work indeed,
Adam.

Post #: 18
RE: Vassal - 11/20/2005 11:44:43 PM   
crabe tambour

quote:

Anyway, when it comes to placing info counters in a VBoH game, am I doing the right thing by opening "counters", placing them on the map and then clicking "remove counters" in the Admin Phase? Do this over and again throughout tje scenario?

Nope. When you need to place a marker on a unit, just right click (or ctrl click) and stay on it and you will have a menu to mark it "fired", or "moved" or etc.....

quote:

How also do I place/remove FFE and Smoke. I see they've got separate buttons?

Same as above excepted that for Smoke, you have to open "counters" and place it yourself on the map. When you click on "Smoke", "Smoke 1" becomes "Smoke2", when you click on FFE, "Spotting round" become "FFE". Simple

(in reply to Adam Parker)
Post #: 19
RE: Vassal - 11/21/2005 6:53:52 PM   
benpark

Crabe-
I notice you have a .mac account, so I assume you have a Mac. I can't see the counters in the Ln'L module on my mac Vassal game setup. On my PC it's working fine-so no big deal. It is nice that Ln'L is "cross-platform", though!

"Fear is a darkroom where the devil develops his negatives" Gary Busey

(in reply to crabe tambour)
Post #: 20
RE: Vassal - 11/21/2005 8:54:15 PM   
crabe tambour

Hi Ben. Sorry, i don't know. It works on my mac; I use MacOS X Tiger.

(in reply to benpark)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad >> Vassal Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI