Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Rebuilding Between Campaigns

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Rebuilding Between Campaigns Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Rebuilding Between Campaigns - 11/25/2005 6:17:19 PM   
SAMWolf

I'm playing a user created campaign (Das Reich). I noticed that between battles when I get to rebuild or exchange units that only totally destroyed units need to be rebuilt. I seem to remember that if an Infantry unit had taken casualties it needed to be rebuilt or it would be understrength net battle. Am I remembering incorrectly or do only destroyed units need to be rebuilt and damaged units are automatically replaced?

TIA,
Samwolf
Post #: 1
RE: Rebuilding Between Campaigns - 11/25/2005 6:20:07 PM   
Swamprat

Partially mauled infantry units get repaired for free. Only wipeouts require repair points spent on them.

I too seem to remember once (or so I think) when ALL damage had to be repaired with points. I'm not sure at which point that changed.

[IMG]http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k436/Swamprat98/need_help_3_126.jpg[/IMG]

(in reply to SAMWolf)
Post #: 2
RE: Rebuilding Between Campaigns - 11/25/2005 6:32:22 PM   
SAMWolf

Thanks.

Just wanted to make sure, maybe it was the original Steel Panthers that rewuired damaged units to be repaired using points. Been a long time since I've played a campaign other than the Mega-campaigns.

(in reply to Swamprat)
Post #: 3
RE: Rebuilding Between Campaigns - 11/25/2005 8:39:38 PM   
Puukkoo

They have ruined the rebuilding completely! These youngsters don't know what it was like before when you didn't get any replacements free and every replaced unit was green.

A lot original of fascination is lost. Campaigning gets ruined by these always elite replacements.

Don't be shocked, I AM funny.

(in reply to SAMWolf)
Post #: 4
RE: Rebuilding Between Campaigns - 11/25/2005 9:50:48 PM   
KG Erwin

Rebuilding units between battles DOES cost repair points in the long campaigns. As for the quality of the replacements, this isn't as big of a problem as some think it is. I suppose the assumption is that a cadre of the original unit would still exist in order to provide guidance to the newbies. Remember that the current year's base morale/exp/leader ratings play a part in the reconstructed units' ratings.

Rebuilt and reorganized units take hits in exp, and I have found that a rebuilt unit shouldn't be thrown into the thick of the next battle. They have a tendency to get destroyed yet again. I've seen it happen more than once in my USMC battles.

(in reply to Puukkoo)
Post #: 5
RE: Rebuilding Between Campaigns - 11/25/2005 9:58:27 PM   
Puukkoo

It depends on what army you're playing. In 1945 German army hardly has cadre left for elite replacements. I think only leader ratings are affected by year of play and experience remains. I'm not however sure if it works differently if you lose many battles in your campaign.

What elite replacements are good for is that you only lose experience in upgrading your tanks. Upgrading on the other hand decreases too much the experience ratings of the tank crew. Losing ten points is very much.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 6
RE: Rebuilding Between Campaigns - 11/25/2005 11:59:13 PM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Puukkoo

It depends on what army you're playing. In 1945 German army hardly has cadre left for elite replacements. I think only leader ratings are affected by year of play and experience remains. I'm not however sure if it works differently if you lose many battles in your campaign.

What elite replacements are good for is that you only lose experience in upgrading your tanks. Upgrading on the other hand decreases too much the experience ratings of the tank crew. Losing ten points is very much.

My, my, my, you German fans are something else LOL. No matter what you do, you will STILL lose the war. The game itself doesn't provide for an alternate history. That would have to be done by a user-created campaign.

(in reply to Puukkoo)
Post #: 7
RE: Rebuilding Between Campaigns - 11/26/2005 3:26:55 AM   
Larry Stephens

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

Rebuilding units between battles DOES cost repair points in the long campaigns.

I too had noticed that damaged units didn't have to be repaired between battles while playing the Das Reich campaign (which I highly recommend). Personally, I much prefer having to pay to 'fix' all damage, not just to replace units that have been completely destroyed. Forces you to make some pretty tough choices when there's not enough repair points to go around.

I gather then that you don't have to repair damaged units in user created campaigns but you do have to repair damaged units in computer generated campaigns. Seems like a rather strange design decision.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 8
RE: Rebuilding Between Campaigns - 11/26/2005 10:31:39 AM   
SAMWolf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Larry Stephens

Personally, I much prefer having to pay to 'fix' all damage, not just to replace units that have been completely destroyed. Forces you to make some pretty tough choices when there's not enough repair points to go around.

I gather then that you don't have to repair damaged units in user created campaigns but you do have to repair damaged units in computer generated campaigns. Seems like a rather strange design decision.

I agree with you, it added an interesting element to the game. I seem to remember having to fight "short-handed" after a particularly tough battle a few times.

(in reply to Larry Stephens)
Post #: 9
RE: Rebuilding Between Campaigns - 11/26/2005 12:45:07 PM   
soldier

Do you pay (in points) to replace all casualties in the long campaign or only those units that are completly destroyed ?
It makes no sense to lose 35% of your force but only pay to replace 15% throughout the war.

< Message edited by soldier -- 11/26/2005 12:49:16 PM >

(in reply to SAMWolf)
Post #: 10
RE: Rebuilding Between Campaigns - 11/26/2005 12:50:54 PM   
Puukkoo

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

My, my, my, you German fans are something else LOL. No matter what you do, you will STILL lose the war. The game itself doesn't provide for an alternate history. That would have to be done by a user-created campaign.

Well I'm not THAT much a German fan!

Only game that let you alter the history was Panzer General 1.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 11
RE: Rebuilding Between Campaigns - 11/26/2005 12:54:50 PM   
soldier

quote:

Only game that let you alter the history was Panzer General 1.

I Played that religously before WAW. I loved that german generals voice, especially if Berlin fell, he almost sounded like he was going to cry

(in reply to Puukkoo)
Post #: 12
RE: Rebuilding Between Campaigns - 11/26/2005 1:09:32 PM   
Puukkoo

LOL I think that German General was much like Herr Flick from 'Allo, Allo'.

Yes, PG1 was great. I spend a lot of time with it, the battles were interesting and well designed too.

(in reply to soldier)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Rebuilding Between Campaigns Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI