Has this ever happened to you? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball

ChiefT -> Has this ever happened to you? (12/17/2005 1:08:21 AM)

Lat night I was simming a game in which my pitcher threw a pitch which was hit into center for the 3rd out. He sustained an injury on that pitch and before the team left the field I was prompted to replace him in the lineup. (PLEASE PUT A PITCHER IN THE GAME) I did so.

His turn at bat was 3rd in the inning and I had to pinch hit for the new pitcher without having thrown a pitch. I lost his services for the game.

Has anyone else encountered this? I know I should have done a double switch, but I really wanted to keep the lineup I had.

I'm just wondering if this has ever came up with anyone?

Still loving it!!!

KG Erwin -> RE: Has this ever happened to you? (12/17/2005 2:08:29 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChiefT

Lat night I was simming a game in which my pitcher threw a pitch which was hit into center for the 3rd out. He sustained an injury on that pitch and before the team left the field I was prompted to replace him in the lineup. (PLEASE PUT A PITCHER IN THE GAME) I did so.

His turn at bat was 3rd in the inning and I had to pinch hit for the new pitcher without having thrown a pitch. I lost his services for the game.

Has anyone else encountered this? I know I should have done a double switch, but I really wanted to keep the lineup I had.

I'm just wondering if this has ever came up with anyone?

Still loving it!!!

Hmm-- this is what's called a "rare quirk". Shaun can fix it, maybe, but I'd never seen it. I'm sure this has happened in real life, too, BUT, the rules are the rules. Technically speaking, in this case the game code was wrong -- you should be allowed to pinch hit for an injured player, BUT the code reads that you're substituting a pitcher. The "replace batter" sould override the "replace pitcher" option in this rare case, right?

rich12545 -> RE: Has this ever happened to you? (12/17/2005 7:12:24 AM)

Sounds right to me. You put a player in the lineup. You can't expect to replace him and then put him back in again. Shouldn't matter why you put him in at first, injury or whatever. You could have replaced the pitcher with yesterday's starter.

KG Erwin -> RE: Has this ever happened to you? (12/17/2005 11:56:09 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich12545

... You could have replaced the pitcher with yesterday's starter.

Now THAT sounds like a reasonable workaround.

ChiefT -> RE: Has this ever happened to you? (12/18/2005 7:05:02 AM)

Rich, I think you missed the point. Yes, using yesterday's pitcher would have worked. But, it would be, in this case, a way to get around a situation that in real life would never happen. But because this is a computer game, and sometime computer games act like computer games, I have to take these things into consideration. I was just wondering if anyone else had it happen to them.

From now in, if it does happen DURING SIMULATION I'll know what to do.

rich12545 -> RE: Has this ever happened to you? (12/18/2005 7:45:53 AM)

I didn't miss the point at all. When the game asked you for a new pitcher at the end of the inning, it shouldn't have until the beginning of the next inning.

But since it did, you should know that if you put a pitcher in the lineup and then take him out, you couldn't put him back in. So you could have put in yesterday's starter and saved yourself a hassle. Then you could have reported the bug. Simple. Reading your post it was evident you never thought of this (apparantly your only alternative was a double switch) so I suggested it in case it ever happens again.

ChiefT -> RE: Has this ever happened to you? (12/18/2005 6:05:56 PM)

Gotchya.

Amaroq -> RE: Has this ever happened to you? (12/19/2005 9:22:14 PM)

Rich, your workaround is fine, but I think ChiefT has a valid point also - the U.I. in this case shouldn't force him to put in a pitcher.

The idea of not having to make the replacement until the beginning of the next inning is okay, but still doesn't fix the problem. What if the pitcher had been batting fourth? Then CheifT doesn't know whether he wants to replace the injured player with a batter or a pitcher, and being forced to do so at the start of the inning is almost as bad as having it in the previous inning. He won't know until he sees the result of the third at-bat of the inning.

The change I'd like to see made is to not force a substitution until that player has to take the field. The following situations would all be taken care of:

Pitcher injured at end of inning. Choice of replacement not forced until either the pitcher's spot comes up, or until the team needs to have a pitcher on the mound.

Fielder injured at end of inning. Choice of replacement not forced until either his spot comes up, or until the team needs a fielder at that position.

Base runner injured and also called out. Choice of replacement not forced until the spot comes up again during the inning, or until the team needs to have a fielder.

Batter injured and retired. Choice of replacement not forced until the spot comes up again during the inning, or until the team needs to have a fielder.

Designated hitter injured and called out. Choice of replacement not force until the DH spot comes up again.

This would greatly facilitate the manager's ability to successfully apply double switches in the appropriate cases. It has a real world equivalent, because the umpiring crew doesn't need to have a replacement made until the player takes the field. Its strategically ideal because we're given more flexibility; flexibility is always a strategic advantage.

There would still be a number of cases where an immediate substitution would be needed: pitcher or fielder injured, but not on the third out of an inning; batter injured but reached safely (e.g., HBP); base runner injured but safe. Even in these cases, we need to have access to the double-switch functionality.

It has a negative side: with a pile-up of players injured but not yet subbed for, the player could make his last substitution and then be unable to make a replacement. Also, if the AI took advantage of the flexibility, and didn't make changes until forced to, it would have to 'look ahead', keeping in mind how many batters or pitchers it needed to reserve due to injury. So, it would be a bit of a programming challenge to work around both of those cases.

rich12545 -> RE: Has this ever happened to you? (12/19/2005 10:36:09 PM)

Amaroq, I'm not sure why you wrote this post and addressed it to me. I already said the game shouldn't have asked for a replacement pitcher until the beginning of the next inning. Obviously, the beginning of the half when his team will take the field. ChiefT seemed to understand what I meant.

In the scheme of things, this is very minor. Yes, it's incorrect and maybe should be fixed but will occur rarely.

Amaroq -> RE: Has this ever happened to you? (12/20/2005 2:56:23 AM)

Oh, I'm sorry - hard to tell with internet posts, I'm sure, but I meant only the first paragraph to be specifically addressed to you; even that is, as you noted, unnecessary as you and he had come to accord already.

The rest of the post was rumination on the situation in general, trying to spec out a UI fix for Shaun.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI