RE: Is this the worst game I have ever bought? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory

ravinhood -> RE: Is this the worst game I have ever bought? (3/6/2006 8:26:37 AM)

Mad Minute will absolutely steal the show with their American Civil War games. When/if they add an overhead strategic game to their already great tactical game it'll be all over for everyone else. Except perhaps Koios who also make superb minatures type games. They sort of jumped wayyyy into the future with this Panzer Command, but, I hope they eventually go back into other earlier periods of history. I've said it before WWII has been done to death. I was impressed with their Tin Soldiers:Caesar though. Also if Mad Minute moves into the Napoleonic/American Civil War/American Revolution type eras they will steal the show there as well. They have one of the best tatcical AI's and victory conditions of most of the other tactical games I play. Bull Run's AI certainly was a thorn in my side for many many games (until I read the manual lol) then I started getting even and understood how the mechanics worked much better. Give me General Jackson now and I will do rather well. ;)

@Mr Z. I can understand your point about your "simulation" type game. And that's just one of the reason I stay away from them. They are too "restricted" and don't allow enough "whatif I had been in command". But, for an historical simulation I understand very well you have to stay within parameters. Where you might improve COG in that sense then would be to improve the "tactical AI", make it stronger and smarter if you can. It doesn't have to enter Paris as the Turks, but, it could at least hurt the human players a bit more in damage and perhaps collateral damage as well.

Just an example of Mad Minutes AI. I had Gen Jackson and was wiping up on a yankee brigade in front of me, with the woods to my left flank, and out of the BLUE (hehe pun intended) here came a union brigage out of those woods on my left flank, I was shocked amazed and glad all at the same time. Fortunately I was able to mop up the brigade in front of me before the woods union brigade could get inline, then I preformed a sweeping maneuver from my right and eventually put them a runnin also, but, since I had to fight them from the open, I took some heavy casualties and had to withdraw from the front for awhile. Later moving to the sound of the guns in the east, where Jackson standing like a stonewall out in FRONT of his brigade got hit by a stray cannon ball and that was the end of that experience. ;) I love that game. Too bad they had to go an get a Paradox label on their next game, cause I will stick to my principles about Paradox games, no support whatsoever, ever again. But, I'll still get 2nd Manassas when it hits bargain bin. ;)

Ursa MAior -> RE: Is this the worst game I have ever bought? (3/6/2006 11:17:04 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Z
CoG were permitted to be open-ended, there should be no compalints about how far North and West the Turks get! But we get them all the time, so...we see that we have some self-imposed limitations. If amping up the AI means Turks in Scotland and million-man armies, then that's just something we can't do. We have to stop somewhere and make the advantages more subtle, like economic bonuses and tactical and morale bonuses.

With all respect, I dont think there should be artificial limitations say no turk armies north of y hex lines. Where also there should be none turk (or austrian) armies able to sail to Scotland. I had a quarrel about it not a long time ago, but me perosnally these ahistorical possibilities has kept from buying CoG. I am ver hoping thes to be fixed in COGII, cause I am starving for an enjoayble (no question CoG is one) AND the same time historical nappy game. 0.02 USD's. [:D]

ericbabe -> RE: Is this the worst game I have ever bought? (3/7/2006 3:35:27 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: O.O. Howard
The game has some rough spots. is the game 'done' or is it going to be improved? I have read about how complicated it is to play a live game over the internet. True? and thats where it will stay?

We're planning at least one features patch beyond the release of the patch we're working on now.

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI