DB Garrison Units & POW use & unit charts (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory

Wooglin -> DB Garrison Units & POW use & unit charts (2/16/2006 6:44:16 PM)

Hi all, great game. Could somebody help with the following or point me in the right direction if already discussed ad nauseum.

1. In detailed battle, garrison units do not seem to operate in the way described in the manual. For one, I don't seem to be able to wake them. Was this changed in a patch to address gameplay issues? Are they any use other than as beacons of light in FOW? Do fortresses still provide benefits for non-garrison units moving into them?

2. Manual says you can use POWs for slave labor. I have not noticed a difference in province production rates even after enemy POWs are garrisoned? Am I missing something? Also, what do you do if the POW container is too large for garrison. Right now I'm sending them to low forage mountains to starve.

3. The manual has a good explanation of special unit modifiers (ex: +1 attack, +4 movement and etc.) but what are the BASE values. I expect to find some tables with this information but am either blind or it's missing. Can anybody point me to the manual page numbers or otherwise point me in the right direction.

- w

Hard Sarge -> RE: DB Garrison Units & POW use & unit charts (2/16/2006 8:39:00 PM)

hmmm good questions, some have been answered before, but finding them is the HARD part

during your turn, move the mouse over top of the garrison unit and hit E (I am pretty sure it is E) as it cycles though the units when it comes to that one it will wake up

I beleive you do get some benifits from being in the fort with your normal troops, but do not think it is all that much

not sure what the base numbers are

Treefrog -> RE: DB Garrison Units & POW use & unit charts (2/16/2006 10:35:18 PM)

Wooglin,

After using "e" to wakE them up, the garrisons have pretty limited value due to their poor morale. Beacons is a good use, especially behind your lines to detect marauding light and irregular cavalry. Following behind your artillery and wagons as a formed unit (to prevent cav attack) is another. They can fill in gaps in the line, but I won't put them in the open unless in square and hopefully behind some obstruction that blocks multi hex fire. Unless in a field fortication they terrible shots and usually take more damage than they cause, unless firing from behind or the flank. When you break your foe, these little garrisons can scurry around in column impeding or blocking enemy routing units, who will often surrender to them.

The little one hex field works are not much use. The larger field works are pretty cool; sometimes if I find myself beset by lots of enemy, especially cav, I'll put my supply unit in the castle keep and surround it with my other units who are easily resupplied. [sm=sterb003.gif] When the enemy breaks, I run out and chase'm down. Break your 8000 man units into 2 smaller units for this purpose. [sm=00000734.gif]

TexHorns -> RE: DB Garrison Units & POW use & unit charts (2/17/2006 6:42:03 AM)

1. garrison's firing from large fortifications fire with strength of cannon. only applies to large fortifications and not castles or one hex forts.

2. I believe this changed with a beta patch. at least in 2.18 POW's no longer provide any benefit anywhere and do not consume food or supply so you can't starve them.

3. no clue as to this

Wooglin -> RE: DB Garrison Units & POW use & unit charts (2/17/2006 5:29:15 PM)

Thanks for the responses.

Garrisons make much more sense to me now (btw, I was trying to wake them with "w" . . .). But does anybody know what's happening when they all start to disband after about 3 days of fighting? Doesn't seem to affect anything but I'm curious.

Thanks for POW info. Now I can stop trying to shuffle them around for econ uses. It also makes me feel better, not using forced labor.

New question:

4. Is there a limit to length of detailed battles? If defender does not repel attacker by X days will there be a draw or something? When I see all my garrison units lie down (above) I get nervous that its a sign something real bad is about to happen.

- w

Hard Sarge -> RE: DB Garrison Units & POW use & unit charts (2/17/2006 6:35:19 PM)

Battles will only last as long as your morale holds out, each turn, your morale starts to wear away

with some of the changes to the combat system, it is easier to get a longer lasting battle now, as you won't break the enemy as fast

yea, if the garrisons start breaking up, it is bad news time

jimwinsor -> RE: DB Garrison Units & POW use & unit charts (2/17/2006 9:16:58 PM)

Only the attacker's morale is supposed to slowly wear away I think.

But be a bit careful because the game seems to me a bit random as to determining which side is the attacker. If both sides are moving armies (which is frequently the case) I have found it a little hard to tell...the game does not seem to indicate this other than this slow, barely observable morale drain for the "attacker." Which you can only discover of course AFTER you start moving units.

Treefrog -> RE: DB Garrison Units & POW use & unit charts (2/17/2006 11:52:15 PM)

As Hard Sarge's answer suggest, battles between (high morale) foes can last many days, three or four is my personal best but I'm sure our colleagues have experienced longer battles. Given the morale erosion with time coupled with the rules about armies being effected by the proportion of routed units to unrouted units, my observation is that once they start to go, they go. Witness the Turkish forces generally. On the other hand, high morale forces could probably go six days pretty easy.

What is fascinating is when an all or largely cavalry force moves into a province you are already in, approaches to rifle range and stops. Reminds me of the opening scenes of Zulu. My infantry just hold the line and watch, then go looking for them the second day when their morale is impaired.

I agree that the garrison surrenders can be the canary in the mine, although on balance they seem pretty faint hearted to me and my French troops with morale of 4.5 or greater tend to ignore than, using their energy to go through their thrown away ammo boxes looking for more rounds.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI