Nearly OT: Bad Women! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

Zorfwaddle -> Nearly OT: Bad Women! (2/17/2006 4:06:44 AM)

The references about "bad women" crack me up :-)

From the 1940 edition of The Bluejackets Manual:

General. - So much sickness and suffering is caused by ignorance of the simplest matters pertaining to personal hygiene and it is so easy to learn the fundamental rules necessary to preserve health that every man should study and follow the advice given herewith.

Personal hygiene teaches us to keep both our minds and our bodies healthy. It is easy for the mind to form a habit, even as other habits are formed. By keeping the mind occupied in the work assigned you, by taking an interest in professional studies, by athletics and clean recreation, and by reading good books, you can develop your mind in a healthy manner. Smoking to excess, drinking intoxicating liquor, and associating with bad women can ruin your bodily health. Bad women especially are the cause of much grief, as promiscuous intercourse with them frequently results in loathsome diseases which not only leave their effects on your system the rest of your life, but also may be transferred by you to your future family with disastrous results. Sexual intercourse is positively not necessary for health and proper manly development. In spite of warning, if you have exposed yourself to venereal disease, you must report to the sick bay for treatment. The sooner you do this the better, as the germs multiply rapidly, and in a few hours after exposure the prophylactic treatment will be ineffective. However, prophylactic treatment is not a sure preventive. The only sure way is to avoid exposure entirely.

US Naval Institute. (1940). Personal Hygiene and First Aid. From The Bluejackets Manual. Annapolis, MD. US Naval Institute.

rogueusmc -> RE: Nearly OT: Bad Women! (2/17/2006 5:04:13 AM)

If you've ever been in the Corps (or any other service for that matter) you have endured the 'class' with the corpsman about this multiple times...[:D]

Ron Saueracker -> RE: Nearly OT: Bad Women! (2/17/2006 6:04:15 AM)

Can someone trasnslate this into something more current? Be good for a laugh! [:D]

barnacle bob -> RE: Nearly OT: Bad Women! (2/17/2006 6:17:01 AM)

When I was in the navy my First Class was a ****. He was an ex-Marine that served in Vietnam. One day we “stumbled” upon his medical records. During his Marine Corps days he was treated for gonorrhea twice and some other STDs. It suddenly made sense why we was a ****…he did not have one. [X(]

I guess they did discuss this during the ‘60s? [:D]

Cool....the board has an automatic censor. I was surprised **** was caught. I was trying to avoid vulgar language.

Zorfwaddle -> RE: Nearly OT: Bad Women! (2/17/2006 6:34:24 AM)

Ill have to see if one of the newbies at my detachment has the most recent manual so I can see what that part says these days....

George

Knavey -> RE: Nearly OT: Bad Women! (2/17/2006 7:17:39 AM)

You mean this one?
It does make for interesting perusing.

[image]local://upfiles/7595/DA5C095C7D4A42BB865E9DA02FE809C9.jpg[/image]

Tankerace -> RE: Nearly OT: Bad Women! (2/17/2006 7:59:09 AM)

Reminds me of some reading I did on WWI for my major. VD was such an issue with Pershing that 1) You would be court martialed if you were exposed, and 2) if you were, you had to pay your own way back after the war, you would not be allowed on the troop transports going home.

It also discussed some of the treatments for VD.... even though this is 1918-1919, by today's standards they are barbaric (imagine the one place where a hot needle should never go.... well it went). Over There: The United States in the Great War, 1917-1918 -- by Byron Farwell in particular (a very good read IMO) has a full chapter on "Measures to preent and correct Veneral disease".

Treetop64 -> RE: Nearly OT: Bad Women! (2/17/2006 8:12:58 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rogueusmc

If you've ever been in the Corps (or any other service for that matter) you have endured the 'class' with the corpsman about this multiple times...[:D]

For sure. For one reason or another...

DeepSix -> RE: Nearly OT: Bad Women! (2/17/2006 8:24:39 AM)

quote:

Tattooing -- Do not get tattooed. Ask any man you see who has been tattooed and he will tell you that he would give anything to have the tattooing removed. It is dangerous, costly, and an awful lot of trouble the rest of your life.

Bluejackets Manual, 1943. The '43 edition also goes a step further in discouraging hanging around bad women by informing the reader that contracting v.d. will result in loss of pay for the duration of the time the victim is away from his duties.

Zorfwaddle -> RE: Nearly OT: Bad Women! (2/17/2006 3:09:01 PM)

Yep, thats the one :-)

George

Speedysteve -> RE: Nearly OT: Bad Women! (2/17/2006 3:18:46 PM)

Excellent. LOL [:D]

sprior -> RE: Nearly OT: Bad Women! (2/17/2006 6:27:26 PM)

A ship's company I was a member of even got this lecture from the captain. We were just about to deploy to the Far Flung and we had "Clear Lower Deck". When he got round to the visit about a proposed visit to Subic Bay he said, "Just be careful, just looking at a woman there can make it fall off". Captain Robin Hogg, HMS Galatea, May 1980.

rogueusmc -> RE: Nearly OT: Bad Women! (2/17/2006 11:39:36 PM)

We first got to Okinawa (we arrived on Wednesday)the first liberty brief (on Friday) we got was from the Captain who said that he could tell us not to go here or go there or do this or do that...but we wouldn't know what he was talking about so he would cover all that next week. He said, "I will say one thing though...don't eat the banana." There was chuckling from the formation. He looked around and says, "who did it?" One marine raised his hand and the Captain just shook his head and walked off...[:D]

dtravel -> RE: Nearly OT: Bad Women! (2/18/2006 1:03:03 AM)

Of course it was a Marine who ate the banana. [8|]

[:'(]

rogueusmc -> RE: Nearly OT: Bad Women! (2/18/2006 2:29:26 AM)

You'd have to know that particular marine...[:D]

Zorfwaddle -> RE: Nearly OT: Bad Women! (2/18/2006 4:53:54 AM)

Ah yes, wonderful Gate 2 street. Although I thought Kinville was a little more, shall we say, "colorful."

George (Hanza, Okinawa, 93-96)

rogueusmc -> RE: Nearly OT: Bad Women! (2/18/2006 6:35:10 AM)

I walked through Whisper Alley once just to say I been there...

Gate 2 Street had that wondeful bath house...best $20 I ever spent...[:D]

Titanwarrior89 -> RE: Nearly OT: Bad Women! (2/18/2006 3:22:26 PM)

True, true, true [:D]
quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

A ship's company I was a member of even got this lecture from the captain. We were just about to deploy to the Far Flung and we had "Clear Lower Deck". When he got round to the visit about a proposed visit to Subic Bay he said, "Just be careful, just looking at a woman there can make it fall off". Captain Robin Hogg, HMS Galatea, May 1980.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI