RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

tsimmonds -> RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ (3/4/2006 5:31:06 AM)

This is GREAT news.....so where do we go with our (most humble[;)]) suggestions and requests?

dtravel -> RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ (3/4/2006 5:31:54 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

May I ask one thing. If/when you ever get around to playing with WITP II, will you consider making it a PBEM game first and formost.

Well, that will kill off some 80% of potential sales right there. Despite how vocal they are in these forums, PBEM players are a minority of the paying customers according to Matrix's own numbers.

Erik Rutins -> RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ (3/4/2006 5:38:54 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: itsjustme
Not to bring a downer to this thread, but does this mean that the new War in Russia is being pushed back/delayed/canceled?

Nope, this will have no effect on WiR's development schedule.[8D]

Regards,

- Erik

rroberson -> RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ (3/4/2006 5:38:59 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

quote:

ORIGINAL: Reiryc

quote:

ORIGINAL: rroberson

quote:

ORIGINAL: BossGnome

WITP 2? What the hell would there be left to improve upon after patch 1.8? If everything works as planned, I really don't see how they could make the game more complete... Graphics...maybe??

Ah to see a VAL come screaming out of the sun as it drops its payload into another hapless American Battlewagon one sunday.

Yea...I could live with a graphic upgrade. [:)]

I'll drink to that...

[sm=00000436.gif]

Vals flying out of the sun? Yuk. [sm=vomit-smiley-020.gif] It's hard enough to achieve quality 2D with current video technology. 3D is just asking for the proverbial polygons banging away at each other from point blank range a la Command and Conquer. I'll take Subchaser's plane sides and The Elf's plane tops over 3D bells and whistles any day.

Gary

god IM not asking for rts replays...I just think during the combat replay it would be nice to see the turn...play out :). like combat mission.

MkXIV -> RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ (3/4/2006 6:22:41 AM)

Absoutly great news Thanks![sm=00000436.gif]

Mike Scholl -> RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ (3/4/2006 6:27:03 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BossGnome

WITP 2? What the hell would there be left to improve upon after patch 1.8? If everything works as planned, I really don't see how they could make the game more complete... Graphics...maybe??

I'd like to see a REAL multi-player capability for one thing. How about a weather system that actyually had some semblence to the weather in the Pacific? A land supply system that we have some control of..., and that perhaps had some semblence of reality to the amount and speed that the transportation system could handle.

Ideologue -> RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ (3/4/2006 6:39:21 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Nope, this will have no effect on WiR's development schedule.[8D]

Regards,

- Erik

Hooray!

Ron Saueracker -> RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ (3/4/2006 6:43:04 AM)

Well, now I can shut the heck up.[X(] That should please about as many as this new development news has.[;)]

Congrats to Don, Joe and the devs for making a great call.

Ron, recently retired squawk box.

rogueusmc -> RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ (3/4/2006 6:51:54 AM)

Wait Ron...you're one of my main sources of entertainment here...just one of them mind you (wouldn't want you to get a big head)

mogami -> RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ (3/4/2006 6:55:19 AM)

Hi, I was going to say something but after I seen Rogueusmc posted I checked my email and there is a turn waiting so I'll go capture Canton Island instead. (I've spent months organizing my last great Japanese offensive)

rogueusmc -> RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ (3/4/2006 6:59:38 AM)

He brought the kitchen sink to that little island...[:D]

bradfordkay -> RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ (3/4/2006 7:02:03 AM)

Great news! Best wishes to Don and John, I'm glad it's you guys.

Now, if we're talking dream WITP, I dream of the day that we'll have a rotateable globe for a map, with the ability to zoom in to watch each day progress, as in CM. I remember when UV was announced, I thought that graphically we'd see an improved BotR - picture that on a globe and beter detail. It should have real weather systems, tides and currents. I figure that by 2020, consumers should have computers that could handle such a game. [;)]

So, Don, John, are you in for the long haul? [:'(]

pad152 -> RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ (3/4/2006 8:07:50 AM)

Good News at Last! [:D]

But the problem remains, WITP will never be finished [8|], so you might as well bite the bullet and start on WITP II soon as possible [:-]!

ckk -> RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ (3/4/2006 8:11:51 AM)

Does that mean you were/are the Bear editor?[&o] God I used the hell out of that editor for years. I don't mean Mog's Bear, but I thought the Bear editor Pacwar editor lived in Texas

Ron Saueracker -> RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ (3/4/2006 8:12:35 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: pad152

Good News at Last! [:D]

But the problem remains, WITP will never be finished [8|], so you might as well bite the bullet and start on WITP II soon as possible [:-]!

No reason why they can't test some new ideas and refine existing ones with the current game. No point in going ahead on a WITP2 if WITP's basic design issues are not ironed out. Good way to "finish" WITP while testing concepts for WITP2.

pad152 -> RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ (3/4/2006 8:38:16 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

quote:

No reason why they can't test some new ideas and refine existing ones with the current game. No point in going ahead on a WITP2 if WITP's basic design issues are not ironed out. Good way to "finish" WITP while testing concepts for WITP2.

Ron

I guess you never worked with software, one company I use to work for would hire new programers telling them they wanted them to develop the new application, but first they had to fix a few things in the old application! Two years later they where still trying to fix the old application(fixing one thing would break five others, sound familar?)! In 5 years six different programers came and went, the old application never really got any better, just older, and the new application never got developed. [8|]

Becareful what you ask for! [:-]

Don Bowen -> RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ (3/4/2006 8:47:43 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ckk

Does that mean you were/are the Bear editor?[&o] God I used the hell out of that editor for years. I don't mean Mog's Bear, but I thought the Bear editor Pacwar editor lived in Texas

No Sir, I am not the great Bear but I worked with him, primarily in decoding the PacWar save files. His old website went down some time ago. Do you know of a new one?

FeurerKrieg -> RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ (3/4/2006 9:05:37 AM)

MOST EXCELLENT NEWS!!

Good luck Don & John!

This made my day!

Ron Saueracker -> RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ (3/4/2006 9:15:02 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: pad152

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

quote:

Ron

I guess you never worked with software, one company I use to work for would hire new programers telling them they wanted them to develop the new application, but first they had to fix a few things in the old application! Two years later they where still trying to fix the old application(fixing one thing would break five others, sound familar?)! In 5 years six different programers came and went, the old application never really got any better, just older, and the new application never got developed. [8|]

Becareful what you ask for! [:-]

No I never did. Oh and I'm not talking about specifics really, more broader issues like logistics etc. Seeing as the game is less than perfect anyway, use it like a test bed for ideas before WITP2 is completed. Anyway, I'm done badgering about things. Just glad that perhaps something came of it.

Charles2222 -> RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ (3/4/2006 9:46:03 AM)

Ah good, then before too much longer there will actually be an official patch again and I will have reason to play. Good to see GG is in on the act too, though his usual silence prevails.

rockmedic109 -> RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ (3/4/2006 10:27:04 AM)

Most wonderful news I've heard since the release of this "evil, time consuming thing" as my wife {I forgot her name} would say.

Congradulations to Don and Jwilkerson. Indeed. I think congradulations are in order for all of us. We all just got an early Christmas gift.

My only question {and it is a selfish one} is if this will have any impact on the release of the new version of CHS {crossing my fingers, toes and eyes in hope that it won't}.

Thank you Matrix. Great support for a great game.

argaur -> RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ (3/4/2006 10:32:20 AM)

I love you all!!

U2 -> RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ (3/4/2006 10:56:45 AM)

Great news to wake up to!

But I won't go as far as the guy who said "I love you all" [:D]

Tankerace -> RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ (3/4/2006 11:23:42 AM)

Way to go guys!

saj42 -> RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ (3/4/2006 11:52:25 AM)

GREAT NEWS......

Oh damn..... this means I'm gonna have to ditch the GF Mk2 and cancel wot's left of my social life [8|]
After 1.8 i'll stop practicing against the AI and finally start a PBEM game [:)]

Mr.Frag -> RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ (3/4/2006 3:45:11 PM)

This is where I drop by and say "I told ya so" ... problem is it still doesn't make up for all the whining and abuse [:'(]

Oleg Mastruko -> RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ (3/4/2006 3:53:49 PM)

Great news! But as some tough guy in some movie said, lets not start sucking each other's d*cks yet, gentlemen [:D]

Don and Jim you have my congratulations and my condolances, simoultaneously. I'll do my best to continue being "developer yes man" when complaints start flying anew, as I am sure they will. [;)] Don's IBM experience speaks volumes though - whoever survived IBM can survive anything.

Please, please, PLEASE do not concentrate on just making the database "Allied friendly" - which is, I am sure, pretty high on your task list [8|]. Pay attention, now that you have an opportunity, to the damn *interface* (IMHO, the part of the game that could best use some improvements), also can you squeeze in the support for *higher resolutions*?? There are some huuugee monitors out there (some on my desk too) and playing the 1024 x 768 game on them feels lke a crime!

Hmmm, that's about it for now... Oh yes whoever said any future improvements/new versions should concetrate on making the WITP PBEM game first and foremost, has my support. Doing the sensible *strategic* AI for a game this huge seems like impossible task anyway. (You'll never hear me complain about strategic AI in a game this huge, now tactical AI is another matter, as even in PBEM we live and die by tac AI)

Good luck!

PS. Set some *deadlines* There's no serious work without deadlines.

Oleg

Demosthenes -> RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ (3/4/2006 4:29:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oleg Mastruko

Please, please, PLEASE do not concentrate on just making the database "Allied friendly" - which is, I am sure, pretty high on your task list [8|]. Pay attention, now that you have an opportunity, to the damn *interface*
Oleg

The interface can use some attention - true. But as for making it Allied friendly - you guys know WitP's shortcomings...make it more historical! Let the modders' worry about making it fair and balanced with their editors[;)]

RevRick -> RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ (3/4/2006 4:34:06 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: ckk

No Sir, I am not the great Bear but I worked with him, primarily in decoding the PacWar save files. His old website went down some time ago. Do you know of a new one?

It's been too long, but I had some contact with Bear before, and IIRC, there was some allusion to some health problems. My memory being contracted in accuracy in direct proportion to the accumulation of birthdays though, I could be confusing him with another on of our cyber contacts. Does anyone have any news on Bear?

ParachuteProne -> RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ (3/4/2006 5:53:55 PM)

Have you thought of doing a War in the Atlantic/Med addon?

Mark

Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI