Draft Questions (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0

gambler -> Draft Questions (3/4/2006 6:22:29 AM)

Ok... Seasonal league play with regards to the draft worries me a bit. It looks like each time a season is finished, that the draft will generate players enough to fill a 40-60 round draft and then run through said 40+ rounds... Basically each team will end up with 80+ players at the start of every season. Maybe I'm missing something...?

Paul Vebber -> RE: Draft Questions (3/4/2006 6:39:06 AM)

THe computer teams trim their rosters back to the set number before training camp. Human teams need to be trimmed manually or it will not let you star a game with a roster over the roster limit.

Godzilla Blitz2 -> RE: Draft Questions (3/4/2006 7:20:05 AM)

Could you comment on how this impacts the quality of the league over time? If you are adding so much talent to every team in the league every year, which the computer then pares down to the best rosters, wouldn't this increase the level of talent on each team each year too much?

Paul Vebber -> RE: Draft Questions (3/4/2006 7:46:07 AM)

Talent creep is an issue in all these sort of games, which is why the games database is left open and import/export fairly easy. I have been toying around with some excel sheets that tweak the stat distibutions. You can use Excel to open any of the game databases.

I have found the talant pool to be prety deep in the deault set up, and the drafts don't really change that that much. The players have career lengths and max stats generated, but you don't know that unles you "cheat" and look them up. You tend to get a lot of guys with high stats in a particular characteristic, bu the game is prety good in assigning stats so its rare to have a guy that is "topped out at everything" they all tend to have an achilles heel of one sort or another, so you can get talent creep over a couple years, but then it tends to even out as guys retire, get injured or just "fade away".

Godzilla Blitz2 -> RE: Draft Questions (3/4/2006 9:35:58 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paul Vebber

Talent creep is an issue in all these sort of games, which is why the games database is left open and import/export fairly easy. I have been toying around with some excel sheets that tweak the stat distibutions. You can use Excel to open any of the game databases.

I don't mean to disagree, but to be honest I haven't seen talent creep as a permanent issue of other sports games. Does PureSim Baseball have this issue as well? I was thinking of getting one of the two sports games you offer, and was looking over the features/forums of both games before buying.

On the surface of things, it would seem that talent is doubling every year, minus of course the retiring and injured players, which one would expect to be about 5-10%.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paul Vebber
I have found the talant pool to be prety deep in the deault set up, and the drafts don't really change that that much.

But shouldn't a draft of 50 players per team alter the talent pool a lot? If for example, NFL teams were able to draft 50 rookies each year (instead of the 7 that they currently draft) with enough talent to play in the NFL, you'd expect teams to quickly become filled with superstar players.

The reason I ask is that I found one of the most compelling reasons to play FPS Football was the growth of your players/team from year to year and I'm looking to get a handle on it in this game. If my team is stocked with deep talent from the start to the point that getting 50 new players a year doesn't impact the quality of my team, isn't that to a degree negating the player/team development apsect of the game? And if I know that each year I'm going to get 50 rookies added to my team, doesn't that mean that over a few years every team in the leauge will have stars at every position? I understand that players retire/get hurt, but you're doubling your talent base/player totals each year, which seems much greater than the rate your losing players.

It ultimately leads me back to the question as to why the long draft length from the start. Can the gamer alter it so that it is only a few rounds long?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Don't feel obliged to answer this issue, Paul, if you don't have time. I can get the answer over time as word on the game unfolds here, and with the game's release I'm sure you're very busy.

craterus -> RE: Draft Questions (3/4/2006 9:55:55 PM)

Feel free to answer the question here - I have not bought the game and this is an issue that concerns me - I posted a question/wishlist topic on this issue as well (concerning the development of the talent pool over time).

The draft situation (as described here) is alarming to someone who just found out about the game.

having a large draft pool is good (so we don't get those situations where there are no draftees or future free agents in a particular position), but i would be concerned about the amount of turnover described here.

Magnum357 -> RE: Draft Questions (3/5/2006 12:04:28 AM)

I hope that in the future, that MF can do what Football Pro does for any Career league you setup. If its the first season of the league, then all teams will have "0" players to start with, that means they would need that 40-50+ Draft round system. But if the league is in its second season or more of play, then the Yearly Draft should be set down to 7 rounds top. Hopefully, David will add this in the future.

Right now, this is not a huge problem as I have read you can go into the Database and edit something too stop the Draft at a certain point. Not a great solution, but there is a work around already. I should try to test this for myself.

Godzilla Blitz2 -> RE: Draft Questions (3/6/2006 5:45:48 AM)

I think I understand now why the yearly rookie drafts with 40-60 rounds don't increase the talent pool of players in the game.

If my understanding is correct from what others are saying, when you generate a new league, the game generates 1280 players at each position, so when you start a new league with 14 teams or so, teams will have over 1200 quarterbacks to choose from. In essence, it would seem that every team is an all-star team from the get go, and yearly drafts sustain that level of talent.

I'm not sure I get this as a game design decision but it does clear the matter up.

boxboy99 -> RE: Draft Questions (3/6/2006 6:42:22 AM)

ya i have been playing around, seeing how things work for last serveral hour. I am experimenting with a 4 team league. I finally kind of figure out the utilites and assigning random players to teams in the number of players I want. My problem is then the 70 player draft comes. The best thing I have came up with is to use 45 man rosters and 45% import rosters seems to cut the rounder to the mid 20's for later drafts (which is still way to many). Is there a way to turn the draft down. Unfortately I do not have excel, or access or this computer.

gambler -> RE: Draft Questions (3/6/2006 4:21:05 PM)

There's a way to fix this using the database. If you can open the DB (someone posted a simple utility that opens DBs and lets you perform SQL or even manual edits), there's a table with "Draft" in the name. If you delete every row above the round you want to draft to (for each team), the draft is that long.

I'm sure there's a way to change the number of players for each position, but I haven't dug around for it because I created my own perl script to set ratings for the number of players I want.

CFL_FAN_7 -> RE: Draft Questions (3/7/2006 5:11:43 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: boxboy99

ya i have been playing around, seeing how things work for last serveral hour. I am experimenting with a 4 team league. I finally kind of figure out the utilites and assigning random players to teams in the number of players I want. My problem is then the 70 player draft comes. The best thing I have came up with is to use 45 man rosters and 45% import rosters seems to cut the rounder to the mid 20's for later drafts (which is still way to many). Is there a way to turn the draft down. Unfortately I do not have excel, or access or this computer.

-IMPORTS--How does the importing system work, can you do CFL to NFL imports???

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI