ELDER SCROLLS IV: OBLIVION "GOLD" (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

ravinhood -> ELDER SCROLLS IV: OBLIVION "GOLD" (3/4/2006 11:40:12 PM)

Here's the forum posting:

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=249750

Don't know if many of you are rpg fans, but, this one does take the cake for graphics eye candy. But, if the ease of skill increase is still in the game like Morrowind it might not be as good as it looks. People would run in place or beat up on some low level fishes over and over and over again and end up with massive skill increases in atheletics and weapons and armor skills before they reached level 2 sometimes. lol Hope they fixed that this time around.

Jevhaddah -> RE: ELDER SCROLLS IV: OBLIVION "GOLD" (3/5/2006 12:56:19 AM)

Sigh.. I still have to complete Morrowind.....

I know I will wait till it comes out on budget, I should be ready then :)

Cheers
Garion
Tightfisted Scot :)

Zakhal -> RE: ELDER SCROLLS IV: OBLIVION "GOLD" (3/5/2006 1:11:22 AM)

Just reinstalled morrowind GTY edition with all the plugins. Gotta play that first before switching to oblivion.

bradfordkay -> RE: ELDER SCROLLS IV: OBLIVION "GOLD" (3/5/2006 6:32:52 AM)

Yeah, a buddy o fmine said that I was doing it wrong when I just explored the world and took my level ups as they came. He would concentrate on using weapons that did not require a primary skill and perform other actions that increased his abilities and maximized his level ups when they finally did occur... He's a power gamer and I play RPGs to experience a new fantasy world...

I'm planning on building a new computer this spring so that I can enjoy Oblivion - I've owned and played every one of the Elder Scrolls series (though I never finished Daggerfall - kept getting lost in the bigger dungeons!~).

DamoclesX -> RE: ELDER SCROLLS IV: OBLIVION "GOLD" (3/7/2006 1:04:17 PM)

good god.
not another one

Galactic civ 2 already rocks, now this?

shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Hertston -> RE: ELDER SCROLLS IV: OBLIVION "GOLD" (3/7/2006 9:44:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

HBut, if the ease of skill increase is still in the game like Morrowind it might not be as good as it looks. People would run in place or beat up on some low level fishes over and over and over again and end up with massive skill increases in atheletics and weapons and armor skills before they reached level 2 sometimes. lol Hope they fixed that this time around.

Hehe.. yeah, I remember that. My 'favourite' was the unarmed combat, and you could build that up to a high level very quickly just playing the game "straight" - only to find that even at a high level the skill was utterly useless.

Dunno about Oblivion. It looks wonderful, but I got bored of Morrowind fairly quickly and graphics or no Oblivion would need some pretty spectacular gameplay changes to keep me interested.

Maliki -> RE: ELDER SCROLLS IV: OBLIVION "GOLD" (3/7/2006 9:53:37 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

quote:

HBut, if the ease of skill increase is still in the game like Morrowind it might not be as good as it looks. People would run in place or beat up on some low level fishes over and over and over again and end up with massive skill increases in atheletics and weapons and armor skills before they reached level 2 sometimes. lol Hope they fixed that this time around.

Hehe.. yeah, I remember that. My 'favourite' was the unarmed combat, and you could build that up to a high level very quickly just playing the game "straight" - only to find that even at a high level the skill was utterly useless.

Dunno about Oblivion. It looks wonderful, but I got bored of Morrowind fairly quickly and graphics or no Oblivion would need some pretty spectacular gameplay changes to keep me interested.

I liked unarmed.It added a bit of unintentional humor to the game.Once you trained up enough in it go up to a creature that is immune to normal weapons,drop your weapons and put up your dukes..ain't nothing like laying the smackdown on a Dremora Lord with your bare hands.

Well at least i found it funny that normal weapons couldn't hurt some creatures,but that you could pimp slap them into submission with your bare hands.[:D]

Zakhal -> RE: ELDER SCROLLS IV: OBLIVION "GOLD" (3/8/2006 2:40:37 AM)

The morrowind mods are really that good. Takes a lots of time to setup (know-how), but once you do (know how to do it mostly) the game gets an awesome leap forward. I use around 30 mods and they beef up everything from sounds, graphics, gameplay, etc. Graphics are much better. And best of all Ive yet to see a single bug. Everything works perfect. Pretty amazing thinking its 30 mods (many global scale) from separate modders put into same game and they all just work together without any problems.

I never played the original elder scrolls: arena because it got bad reviews. Average reviews mostly. Ultima Underworld that was released few years earlier was much better so there was no need to buy worse games. UW2 was on release at the sametime methinks and it was way better than arena. Not to forget betrayal at krondor or ultima 7 and companions. Average game like arena had no chance back in those days.

Daggerfall I did got because I was lacking quality rpgs during its release year and Daggerfall did look amazing at first. After a year or two playing I did go pretty far in it (plot wise and had 75% red armor), but never totally finished it. In the end I thought the daggerfall dungeons as my own private miserable claustrophobic hell holes. Wandering around for hours never finding anything, going circles, 30min walk from exit, etc. Somtimes life is just too short.

sol_invictus -> RE: ELDER SCROLLS IV: OBLIVION "GOLD" (3/8/2006 2:51:53 AM)

Daggerfall was my first TES game and I really liked it, except for the large number of bugs and the endless repetetive dungeons. I played it for a couple of months until a new baby came home from the hospital; I then had very little time or patience for the still buggy game at ver. 1.4, I think it was. Eagerly bought Morrowind and as soon as I entered character creation, I knew something was just not right. After three attempts of playing; third time fairly deep into the main quest; my initial impression remains, something is just not right. I swore I wouldn't pre-order Oblivion because of Bethesda's spotty record, but I had a gift card I got for Christmas and went ahead and pre-ordered. I have a good feeling about Oblivion. Besides, it's not like there are a slew of stand alone rpgs being published these days. Early 90's, that was a great time for rpgs.

Zakhal -> RE: ELDER SCROLLS IV: OBLIVION "GOLD" (3/8/2006 3:19:23 AM)

Morrowind isnt the best RPG of the recent years. Among the best (imho) are:

1.Knights of the old Republic 1
2.Knights of the old Republic 2
3.Gothic 1
4.Gothic 2
5.Arx Fatalis (unofficial Ultima Underworld 3)

KotoR 1&2 especially were totally amazing from the start to the end. I have finished all of those games except arx fatalis (~75% finished) due to shortage of freetime.

Hertston -> RE: ELDER SCROLLS IV: OBLIVION "GOLD" (3/8/2006 6:14:05 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zakhal

Morrowind isnt the best RPG of the recent years. Among the best (imho) are:

1.Knights of the old Republic 1
2.Knights of the old Republic 2
3.Gothic 1
4.Gothic 2
5.Arx Fatalis (unofficial Ultima Underworld 3)

KotoR 1&2 especially were totally amazing from the start to the end. I have finished all of those games except arx fatalis (~75% finished) due to shortage of freetime.

Its always a matter of opinion. I'd rate Morrowind far ahead of KotOR (the only one of those that I've played), for example. KotOR was a fun game, but barely qualifies as an RPG at all IMHO, it was so linear. Not to mention that you could finish it over a weekend with no real desire to play it again. Morrowind just had much more replay value, and far more genuine opportunities to develop different characters and play in different ways.

ravinhood -> RE: ELDER SCROLLS IV: OBLIVION "GOLD" (3/8/2006 7:41:40 AM)

Once you've been introduced to open ended, it's very hard to go back to linear rpgs. Daggerfall was my first foray into real open ended rpging and I just got lost in it. I loved the long winding twisting where the hell is the exit dungeons myself. Those were REAL labyriths to me.

Diablo 2 has many open ended features about it while still being linear. I musta done those tombs in chapter 2 a 100 times before moving on in the story. They to me were the most fun part of the whole game.

Dungeon Siege was so linear I almost didn't finish it, but, I'm glad I did, it had one of the most exciting never seen before endings I've ever seen and played. If you ever play Guild Wars you'll get to experience this type of ending over again. I was a bit disdained with them copying Dungeon Siege ending and felt robbed of the whole experience.

The thing for me is Daggerfall did something Bethsoft hasn't done since and that was the random missions/quests, I hate scripted quests/missions that don't change from character to character. And I'm afraid Oblivion isn't going to use it again. It will be just Morrowind with better graphics sadly. And only good for one time thru.

NWN's is too square and blocky. I know it's nice to have all the goodies of dnd, but, the smallness of every zone just made that game feel like it too was missing something. It did break from being perfectly linear by giving you choices in most of the chapters. But, the paths of those choices were still pretty linear.

I played the first Baldur's Gate and have the other two in shrink wrap still. Once again I found the game just too square and too blocky, while I did enjoy the AI interactions with one another and myself. One of the first where it actually seemed like your traveling buddies were alive though canned. The story was good and I like the twist at the end. I love a good story and one that will shock you at the end. Both Baldur's Gate and the origional Dungeon Siege have that quality.

My two favorite rpgs of all time though would be Daggerfall (for it's random never ending play value really) and Ultima IV (yes, this was the king of all rpgs to me).

Zakhal -> RE: ELDER SCROLLS IV: OBLIVION "GOLD" (3/8/2006 12:14:48 PM)

There are mostly two things I dont value Morrowind. Its nice to come to a new town and then discover that (1) every single character in the town has the same generic conversation options (2) there is not a single quest in the town. When this applies to too many towns its bad. There are way too many towns I literally dont find anything to do. Cant even go to an inn after long walk because the people there dont have anything to say except the same boring generic messages.

I would have understood it in daggerfall, but when morrowind was downsized to only a dozen or so towns I expect the towns to have more in difference than the 3D-graphics. Once youve seen the nicely done walls which takes around five minutes, one can exit the town and never return because "he has seen it all".

SemperAugustus -> RE: ELDER SCROLLS IV: OBLIVION "GOLD" (3/8/2006 1:29:34 PM)

quote:

There are mostly two things I dont value Morrowind. Its nice to come to a new town and then discover that (1) every single character in the town has the same generic conversation options (2) there is not a single quest in the town. When this applies to too many towns its bad. There are way too many towns I literally dont find anything to do. Cant even go to an inn after long walk because the people there dont have anything to say except the same boring generic messages.

I would have understood it in daggerfall, but when morrowind was downsized to only a dozen or so towns I expect the towns to have more in difference than the 3D-graphics. Once youve seen the nicely done walls which takes around five minutes, one can exit the town and never return because "he has seen it all

(1) is supposedly fixed in the new Morrowind

Zakhal -> RE: ELDER SCROLLS IV: OBLIVION "GOLD" (3/8/2006 5:33:56 PM)

I think that the idea that the devs had in morrowind was that when the devs build these empty towns, players themselves then fill them with quests and interesting characters that actually have somthing to say by using the morrowind editor.

Where it went wrong was that there was no organisation in the mod-community. Everyone did their own mods that changed this or that town and it was then up the each single player to filter the different mods together so that they dont brake the game. Most players though have real life jobs and when they come home they dont want to spend 6 hours on mod-testing. They want to play the game, not test mods (unless modding is a hobby for them).

I spent about 24 hours on the mod testing before I got it all to work and if I multiply it with a hourly wage I could buy four new roleplaying games with that money.

Absolutely the best option could have been to make a commercial release of a big mod-package that fuses together a huge amount of mods that fill all the towns. Players could have then bought the package and then just run the install program and presto.

Its a mystery really why they didnt do it. In comparison NWN has released many commercial mod packs done by the players. The only thing I can guess is that Bethesda Softworks was not interested for som weird reason.

Maliki -> RE: ELDER SCROLLS IV: OBLIVION "GOLD" (3/8/2006 7:42:19 PM)

Well i pre-ordered mine for the 360.

So the one thing that is gonna bite is no user made mods.Though there seems to be some talk of official mods from Bethesda,maybe,being available.

Though i doubt that they will have the time or inclination to make any really big one's or add ons..such as the Moth Mouth Fort mod.Probably spend their time working on expansions....and FallOut[&o]

ravinhood -> RE: ELDER SCROLLS IV: OBLIVION "GOLD" (3/9/2006 2:44:02 AM)

I'm still waiting on WASTELAND II. :)

Oh and Zakhal, there were different quests AND JOBS in every city of Daggerfall. You never had to worry about finding a job or quest to do. That was the fun about it. Always someone to rescue, or protect/guard, escourt to another town. There was just always something going on in every town. Of course most of the outside citizens were just directional npc's, but, at least when you wanted to find something in town it wasn't hard to do it. ;) And the music of Daggerfall inside towns and then outside when it was snowing or dark or inside dungeons. Just ain't been nothing like it since. Gawd I would give my testicles for a remaked of DAGGERFALL with Morrowind/Oblivion Graphics. It doesn't play exceptionally well on XP, but, it still works, but, ummm I tink the processing speed is a wittle bit too much for the combat engine of Daggerfall now. ;)

ilovestrategy -> RE: ELDER SCROLLS IV: OBLIVION "GOLD" (3/12/2006 11:46:29 AM)

I love Daggerfall, I played that for months and months. One time I walked all they way from one town to another, took literally all day. Ran into a vampire, wild bear, a full dungeon out in the middle of no where on the way to my destination. outstanding game.
I beat morrowind too and both expansions. Loved it! [:)] I never ran out of things to do in Morrowind.
I dont know about the 360 version but the PC version of Oblivion is designed to be very mod friendly, even more so than Morrowind.

wodin -> RE: ELDER SCROLLS IV: OBLIVION "GOLD" (3/12/2006 5:06:48 PM)

Had Morrow Wind and Eldar Scrolls for ages (came free with a video card).

Just installed it. One thing I hate is the look of the creatures. Just to damn odd and the elves are an insult to elves.

Its so offputting for me I cant get into it at all.

I loved Baldur Gate 1 and Baldur Gate 2 is my favourite RPG game. I also had alot of fun with Icewind Dale but it became a little repetitive.

I may continue with Morrowwind not to sure.

Gothic is a game that looks interesting.

Bill Durrant -> RE: ELDER SCROLLS IV: OBLIVION "GOLD" (3/12/2006 5:37:23 PM)

Seeing as my wife has stopped talking to me I just bought Morrowind so I could speak to someone else in the house[:D]

Any advice on what Mods to add, where do I get them, how are they installed etc etc.

Zakhal -> RE: ELDER SCROLLS IV: OBLIVION "GOLD" (3/12/2006 6:52:52 PM)

1.Install plugin with MPM morrowind plugin manager
2.Apply plugins correctly from morrowind setup
3.Merge plugins with TESTool

MPM - utility to install/uninstall plugins easily
TESTool - utility to merge different mods together (use this once after you have installed all the mods)

My list of mods (these all work together):

1.Morrowind patch 1.6.2 (extra patch)
2.Textpatch for morrowind
3.Better bodies 2.2
4.Justfaceit
5.Justfaceit2
6.Qarls hot girls
7.Tamrielic features
8.World of faces
9.GS seyada neen complete
10.Super adventures 302
11.Necessities of morrowind
12.Sound1
13.Sound2
14.Sound3
15.Sound4
16.Weathered signs1.1
17.Pegasus horse ranch
18.Visual 2.11
19.Visual 2.2
20.Visual XT
21.20 books

D/L mods from: http://www.mwmythicmods.com/telesphoros.htm

Mostly its just graphics, sounds, gameplay and reality enhancements. You have to eat and drink and sleep etc. Graphics are much better.

ravinhood -> RE: ELDER SCROLLS IV: OBLIVION "GOLD" (3/12/2006 6:54:29 PM)

Yeah that was another thing about Morrowind, the creatures for the most part were crappy as hell. Them flying prehistoric things everyone complained there were too many of, totally rediculous for a fantasy setting. Stupid fish that would fight you on the waters edge. Larva, that had to be the most stupid of all. It was hard to get immersed into Morrowind. As much as I tried it just didn't feel right.

I too did those long walks between towns in Daggerfall, night time was especially spooky, and I came up on cemetaries and crypts quite a bit, some I'd try to do them and they'd be too tough or I'd get lost inside them and almost never find my way back out. Simply fantastic game. Best rpg all around for me. The Baldur's Gate series was good for a storyline, but, nothing can touch Daggerfall for a real open ended never ending world to get lost in. I even tried one time to walk to the mountains base you always saw in the distance, haha I never made it. Daggerfall musta been 500 square miles I swear.

Zakhal -> RE: ELDER SCROLLS IV: OBLIVION "GOLD" (3/12/2006 6:58:28 PM)

quote:

Yeah that was another thing about Morrowind, the creatures for the most part were crappy as hell. Them flying prehistoric things everyone complained there were too many of, totally rediculous for a fantasy setting. Stupid fish that would fight you on the waters edge. Larva, that had to be the most stupid of all. It was hard to get immersed into Morrowind. As much as I tried it just didn't feel right.

Thanks to the mods I have seen only two prehistoric flying things on my travels and neither attacked me. Also fish seem much more peaceful.

For fish there was a fishing mod even with boat and all but they never finished it.

I have plugin that gives 10% running boost, I have athletics as main skill plus horse ranch plugin that I can buy horses from. No more walking for hours.

Daggerfall had horses too if I recall right. Clippety cloppety I still remember the sound.

Maliki -> RE: ELDER SCROLLS IV: OBLIVION "GOLD" (3/12/2006 8:49:40 PM)

quote:

Thanks to the mods I have seen only two prehistoric flying things on my travels and neither attacked me. Also fish seem much more peaceful

Dp you have that non-aggression mod?The one where most of the wildlife will only attack in self defense or if your too close.

ilovestrategy -> RE: ELDER SCROLLS IV: OBLIVION "GOLD" (3/14/2006 12:44:55 PM)

quote:

I too did those long walks between towns in Daggerfall, night time was especially spooky, and I came up on cemetaries and crypts quite a bit, some I'd try to do them and they'd be too tough or I'd get lost inside them and almost never find my way back out. Simply fantastic game. Best rpg all around for me. The Baldur's Gate series was good for a storyline, but, nothing can touch Daggerfall for a real open ended never ending world to get lost in. I even tried one time to walk to the mountains base you always saw in the distance, haha I never made it. Daggerfall musta been 500 square miles I swear.

I agree with ya on that one Ravin on Daggerfall. Best rpg I ever played and I have played a lot of them.

Maliki -> RE: ELDER SCROLLS IV: OBLIVION "GOLD" (3/20/2006 10:14:51 PM)

Its available in some places today.

I know what i'm going to be doing tonight.A bottle of Shasta,pop in a Rush CD,microwave a burrito and its pure geek heaven from there on out.

ravinhood -> RE: ELDER SCROLLS IV: OBLIVION "GOLD" (3/21/2006 1:21:39 AM)

Lol couldn't wait could yah?

sol_invictus -> RE: ELDER SCROLLS IV: OBLIVION "GOLD" (3/21/2006 2:38:52 AM)

I'm going to grab a copy tommorrow.

TheHellPatrol -> RE: ELDER SCROLLS IV: OBLIVION "GOLD" (3/21/2006 2:58:38 AM)

So...How does it play in regards to PC specs? I remember Morrowind inspired me to buy my first gaming rig, Falcon Northwest. Sure some of the characters were less than pretty but by God the enviroment was mindblowing!
I am a little skeptical, something i've aqquired from another Matrix regular who shall remain anonymous but whose initials are "ravinhood"[:'(]. even though my Alienware rig now boasts a 6800GT 256mg card coupled with my 1024 DDR Ram, So...how will it run???

Maliki -> RE: ELDER SCROLLS IV: OBLIVION "GOLD" (3/21/2006 6:17:36 AM)

This definitly does have an epic feel to it.

The enviroments are gorgeous.I stood up on a rock and just stared across a valley for 5 minutes soaking it all in.The combat is also more intuitive now that they took away the hidden dice rolls.You see something you bash it.It tries to bash you..you block.

Though now that you can block with weapons it kind of takes away the need for a shield.I guess for aesthetics you could still have one,and for the armor skill.

Some things i don't like:Medium armor is gone,as is the unarmored skill(along with several others),Short sword and long sword are combined into one skill group called Blades.I really don't like the menus for Inventory,map,journal,etc to me they are a mess and a pain to navigate through.I'm also a little bummed that they allowed you so much more customization of the characters physical features but stripped down what kind of character you could develop from gameplay.

Don't get me wrong theres still alot of skills and the game is fun,but i would gladly give up being able to fully customize facial features for some more,and varied,skill sets.

Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI