1959NFL playbook available for download (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0

nmleague -> 1959NFL playbook available for download (3/10/2006 2:41:06 AM)

The first version of a playbook to use with, my 1959 NFL uniforms is now available at FBMAX.com. Further versions will be released as the plays are evaluated and more formations etc. added. This playbook contains:

1. Two offenive formations with a total of 30 plays.
2. 3 base defensive alingments, each with 2-3 plays.
3. A new punt formation and play.
4. A new kickoff return play.

There is no motion used.

Please try them and evaluate them, looking for comments to make them better.

Still to add are a short yardage offense and at least one more offensive formation with plays. Also 1-2 more defensive alingments as well as 2-3 more defensive plays for the current defenses (concentrating on pass defense).

A goal is to also have 1-4 audible set for each play.

Lets hear what you think.

Deft -> RE: 1959NFL playbook available for download (3/10/2006 3:34:35 PM)

I have been real busy lately and haven't had a chance to dedicate as much time as I would like to this game but I appreciate all the work you've done so far nmleague. I will check out this download.

mark1726 -> RE: 1959NFL playbook available for download (3/10/2006 7:36:33 PM)

I will give them a try this weekend. You have been coming up with all sorts of stuff![&o]

nmleague -> RE: 1959NFL playbook available for download (3/10/2006 11:06:05 PM)

Some comments about the playbook and findings.

I first designed the ProT plays vs the defenses that came with the 11 man playbook. When they were done the offense pretty much ran up and down the field at will. Then the defensvie sets were designed many as run stoppers vs this offense. Then the ProTwin formation and plays were added and a few more passes to the ProT. At the end the kickoff return, punt and punt return were added.

Finding from testing so far.

1. The kick return needs some more work, but seems to be on the right track. By the way I have the kicking team kick from the 40.

2. The punt coverage is working much better than the stock punt.
3. Punt return needs some work, have made changes already.
4. The 42PIN defense is playing havoc with the offense and is requiring the changing of offensive line blocking. In particular the OG cant be given Block pass commands vs it. I have already experimented and found that Block nearest works. Have started making those changes.

Started adding audibles to move to a safe play vs a defense that is killing certain plays (example the 43PIN defense).

Even with the problems blocking the 43pin I found to today that in a game played, computer vs computer that there is some good pass offense, completion rate and yards look good.

nmleague -> RE: 1959NFL playbook available for download (3/11/2006 3:32:25 AM)

Just played 15 min quarter in the game using my 1959 teams and playbook, and Im posting the quarter stats, team and offense. Looks like this playbook can generate some offense, nice completion % and nice ave yards per rush. Used a few audilbes that netted nice gains, but I dont think there is really any AI busting plays. The long pass plays werent that poorly defended, but maybe the DB AI and speed need to be played with. The team I had stuffed the other team so the defense can be solid. Not sure if the quality of one team was much better than the other. Even though this is label as a 1959 playbook I think you would see alot of the similar plays in use today.

[image]local://upfiles/19384/9BCCCD40477C48DDA44194D4919B9DF8.jpg[/image]

nmleague -> RE: 1959NFL playbook available for download (3/11/2006 3:33:39 AM)

And here are the individual stats. Some nice offensive performances.

[image]local://upfiles/19384/EFB290648DC94A8592BDC92CBB8C560B.jpg[/image]

nmleague -> RE: 1959NFL playbook available for download (3/16/2006 7:38:39 PM)

Update: A knew version of the 1959 NFL playbook will be uploaded this afternoon. I have added a new offenisve formation with 13 plays, plus a new prevent defense. The playbook is now pretty complete, but will continue to evolve. Here is what it currently contains.

Kickoff
Kickoff return, new, needs more work
Punt new, coverage works very well
Punt return new
Offense
Split pro T with about 20 plays
Split pro T with twins to one side TE to other, about 15 plays
New, a slot T with the HB on the side of the slot, 13 plays, all tested vs the 43PIN and they work

Defense
goaline defense, this is from the playbook that came with the game and needs to be expanded some.
3 defensive alingements each with at least 3 plays
43Prevent defense, two basic coverages, each with plain DL rush and each with A stunting DL rush, the stunts seem to work pretty well.

This basic playbook could really be used for any period brom the 50's on, it just does away with motion and trying to get mismatches of personnel via motion or formations. Next step will be to develope another Playbook so that there will be more variety in the league, and more interesting strategy moves.

nmleague -> RE: 1959NFL playbook available for download (3/17/2006 12:19:47 AM)

Just gave the latest version of the playbook a test with a kick game, one half only. The first half stats are shown below, I used 15 min. quarters. Im also still using the original game with no patches. There are a couple of running plays that can break long runs, but certain defenses shut them down. This game had a very nice pass play, the QB carried out two fakes, to the FB and HB and then tossed the ball to the SE running into the endzone 35 yards away.

[image]local://upfiles/19384/9FF83E10BD244B849FF93F56B56B2401.jpg[/image]

nmleague -> RE: 1959NFL playbook available for download (3/17/2006 1:35:48 AM)

The new version has been uploaded to FBMAX.com, not sure when they will have it available for download.

anash -> RE: 1959NFL playbook available for download (3/17/2006 5:19:26 AM)

Any tips on getting these into the game? I unzipped your last one and there was just plays, no play book. What is the easiest way to get your plays only into a teams playbook.

Thanks, looking forward to trying these...

nmleague -> RE: 1959NFL playbook available for download (3/17/2006 6:08:20 AM)

Im not sure how it is done. To get it out I opened the playbook in the PDS, one option there is to export the playbook. I did that and it puts it as a folder in the Matrix folder. There is also an option to import a playbook. So I would try to unzip the play book to the Matrix folder. It should unzip as a folder name 1959 NFL version 2, or something like that. Open the PDS, open a playbook and then click the import playbook button. I hope it then allows you to browse to the Matrix directory or maybe it just shows the playbooks available to import.

Shaggyra -> RE: 1959NFL playbook available for download (3/17/2006 7:10:08 AM)

Updated version now up on FBMAX.COM

CFL_FAN_7 -> RE: 1959NFL playbook available for download (3/17/2006 7:24:47 AM)

FBMAX has everything lol

anash -> RE: 1959NFL playbook available for download (3/17/2006 3:53:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: nmleague

Im not sure how it is done. To get it out I opened the playbook in the PDS, one option there is to export the playbook. I did that and it puts it as a folder in the Matrix folder. There is also an option to import a playbook. So I would try to unzip the play book to the Matrix folder. It should unzip as a folder name 1959 NFL version 2, or something like that. Open the PDS, open a playbook and then click the import playbook button. I hope it then allows you to browse to the Matrix directory or maybe it just shows the playbooks available to import.

No, unfortunately you cannot see other folders within the directory when using the import function, only individual plays (had to copy them from 1959 directory into matrix plays directory. It appears that I need to remember all your play names, and make my playbook from scratch...[X(]

nmleague -> RE: 1959NFL playbook available for download (3/17/2006 4:21:22 PM)

I think there is an easier way, there was a thread about sending plays to someone and I think it works bette. Hopefully someone else can step in here with an answer.

elmerlee -> RE: 1959NFL playbook available for download (3/17/2006 5:15:00 PM)

If this playbook is NFL specific the game may not recognize it.
I don't think MF pays attention to specific league setups.

nmleague -> RE: 1959NFL playbook available for download (3/17/2006 9:48:18 PM)

The latest version of this playbook is working pretty good, with stats that are realistic except for one area. There are a ton of sacks, the majority of which are actually situations were the QB is tackled before he can make a hand off. There are also alot of quick sacks which is leading to a very high completetion % for QBs, been getting completion rates over 80%. Im still using the origianal game and I think some of this is being corrected by later releases.

Im taking two actions to get rid of these problems.

1. Today Im going through every offensive play and testing them vs. the 43PIN defense.
THis defense can be beaten, but vs alot of plays the OG just cant handle the DT and the result are quick tackles of the QB before he can hand off, and quick sacks. Im changing the hand off point, blocking etc. to minimize this effect.

2. Even with alot of the plays changed, a top DT is almost unstopable. So Im going to make some more changes to the data base A) im going to drop the DL upper speed limit some, and since Im still working with the original OL speed range, Im going to give them a speed increase. Im not sure if there is a way for the OL to get a faster jump off the ball, if so that would also help.

If anyone has tried the playbook I would like to hear your results so that more changes can be made.

mark1726 -> RE: 1959NFL playbook available for download (3/17/2006 10:14:06 PM)

quote:

The latest version of this playbook is working pretty good, with stats that are realistic except for one area. There are a ton of sacks, the majority of which are actually situations were the QB is tackled before he can make a hand off. There are also alot of quick sacks which is leading to a very high completetion % for QBs, been getting completion rates over 80%. Im still using the origianal game and I think some of this is being corrected by later releases.

Im taking two actions to get rid of these problems.

1. Today Im going through every offensive play and testing them vs. the 43PIN defense.
THis defense can be beaten, but vs alot of plays the OG just cant handle the DT and the result are quick tackles of the QB before he can hand off, and quick sacks. Im changing the hand off point, blocking etc. to minimize this effect.

2. Even with alot of the plays changed, a top DT is almost unstopable. So Im going to make some more changes to the data base A) im going to drop the DL upper speed limit some, and since Im still working with the original OL speed range, Im going to give them a speed increase. Im not sure if there is a way for the OL to get a faster jump off the ball, if so that would also help.

If anyone has tried the playbook I would like to hear your results so that more changes can be made.

I haven't tried your playbook, I have slowly been developing mine, but on the issues of too many sacks have you made sure the QB drops straight back first before going to an angle? I noticed this early on, basically it is an AI bug where the DT takes an angle to the QB on the snap but will get by the guard if the QB starts off at an angle. Something to consider if you haven't already looked into it.

Magnum357 -> RE: 1959NFL playbook available for download (3/18/2006 1:43:16 AM)

I agree with mark. In all my custom plays that I have made, I give the QB a slight step backwords before I give him any angle movement. So far, I have not run into this problem now, but keep in mind that i have only been testing my Custom Offensive Plays on Stock Defensive Plays. Haven't had time yet to mess with the Defensive Schemes.

nmleague -> RE: 1959NFL playbook available for download (3/18/2006 2:44:27 AM)

Yes that helps alot! I finnished going through all the offensive plays in this playbook and testing them and reworking them in practice. Below are the stats for a computer vs computer quick game that I ran after all the changes. This play book is really working pretty good now. The sacks shown are actual sacks, I dont think the QB was tackle more than once or twice before handing off. And that was on two trap plays that Im thinking of taking out. In this game the Giants were behind 13-3 with 1:40 left, their HB broke a 54 yard TD run, they then got a 2 point coversion. Found that the AI clock management needs some work, with a 4th down and 13 secs left, and the play clock over 30 sec, the 49ers actually punted instead of letting the clock run out.

Oh and I didnt make any changes to the data base before this game, its just the results of the changes in the plays.

Im going to do a few more things to the playbook tonight, and then will release a final draft tomorrow.

Used 12 min. quarters.
[image]local://upfiles/19384/E97AD73BF05C4DD2ACD7E4C31AD0202C.jpg[/image]

mark1726 -> RE: 1959NFL playbook available for download (3/18/2006 3:47:58 AM)

quote:

Yes that helps alot! I finnished going through all the offensive plays in this playbook and testing them and reworking them in practice. Below are the stats for a computer vs computer quick game that I ran after all the changes. This play book is really working pretty good now. The sacks shown are actual sacks, I dont think the QB was tackle more than once or twice before handing off. And that was on two trap plays that Im thinking of taking out. In this game the Giants were behind 13-3 with 1:40 left, their HB broke a 54 yard TD run, they then got a 2 point coversion. Found that the AI clock management needs some work, with a 4th down and 13 secs left, and the play clock over 30 sec, the 49ers actually punted instead of letting the clock run out.

Oh and I didnt make any changes to the data base before this game, its just the results of the changes in the plays.

Im going to do a few more things to the playbook tonight, and then will release a final draft tomorrow.

Used 12 min. quarters.

Results look good. May need to up the clock, only 101 plays. NFL average is 118 I think. Everything else is pretty solid. The patch released recently will probably give you a few INT's.

nmleague -> RE: 1959NFL playbook available for download (3/18/2006 4:01:43 AM)

Had another computer vs computer quick game, stats shown below. This also had 12 min. qurters, I agree I think its time to go to 15, I had read a number of posts about 15 min quarters giving to many plays, doesnt seem to be a problem. Oh the time of possession is screwed up becuase the game had one of those punts that died and everyone runs around so had to save and restart.

Again everything is looking good, a few more QB tackled behind the line, may have to work on the plays of one of the formations some more.

But Im going to download the latest patch before anymore testing. Also I have decided to go ahead with increasing the OL speed and reducing the DL speed slightly.

[image]local://upfiles/19384/E600D819E99845239BC1CBD8FD8A5ED3.jpg[/image]

nmleague -> RE: 1959NFL playbook available for download (3/18/2006 4:44:58 AM)

Ready for the next round of testing! I have downloaded and installed the patch 1.96. Also edited the MainData Speed range for players as stated above. Reset my NFL 1959 league and redrafted, had training camp and cuts. Below is a comparison of the speed range by position for one of the teams, before the edit and reset, and post edit and reset.

.......Before.........After
OL ... 56-60 ......58-67
DL ... 59-78.......59-75
RB ... 80-92......69-89
REC... 83-96......87-96
DB ... 88-97......88-97
LB.....70-88........68-83

Im now going to have a computer vs computer quick game to see how things go, before changing any more plays.

nmleague -> RE: 1959NFL playbook available for download (3/18/2006 6:31:05 AM)

Ok I ran a quick game, computer vs computer, 15 min quarters, post patch, post edit of player speed ranges and post league reset etc.. Below are the stats for the game. Again not bad, but for some reason the number of tackles behind the line of scrimage were up again, may have to look at plays some more. One problem is that alot of the defenses I designed are made to stuff the run. But even with that the defensvie line should not dominate/penatrate the LOS the way they do. Of course on the other hand they do give up long runs to the outside.

This game did have an interception, GB lead 6-0 and the Rams were knocking at the door, on the GB 3 yard line. A GB defensive back picked off a pass in the endzone. There must have been about 7 fumbles. The Packers were moving down the field right before the half, and their HB just reeled off a 16 yard run, but fumbled and the Rams recovered. Also a GB receiver had about a 12 yard reception, started to run, was hit, fumbled and the DB picked it up and started the other way, returned about 10 yards. Also a Ram RB fumbled when hit, picked up the ball and ran for 16 yards.

One this that was also noticeable is that a plan has to be set up for the playbook. In several cases the defense used a GL defense at mid field on second down and 8 yards to go.

[image]local://upfiles/19384/D3BED20AC3464828B5BC6AA7BCDD7264.jpg[/image]

Magnum357 -> RE: 1959NFL playbook available for download (3/18/2006 11:12:48 AM)

wow, 26 punts in the game. That seems kinda high. Overall though, the stats look pretty good in other departments. Wish we could see different types of First Downs though (Run, Pass, Penelty).

Sonny -> RE: 1959NFL playbook available for download (3/18/2006 12:27:07 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Magnum357

wow, 26 punts in the game. That seems kinda high. Overall though, the stats look pretty good in other departments. Wish we could see different types of First Downs though (Run, Pass, Penelty).

Well, with 21 sacks you would expect to see quite a few punts.[;)]

nmleague -> RE: 1959NFL playbook available for download (3/18/2006 2:52:25 PM)

Yes there are alot of punts for several reasons. One as mentioned with the patch installed etc. there seemed to be more breakdowns in some plays again, so again to many tackles for no gain or a short loss. Becuase of this there were alot of 3 and out situations. Today I will go through the plays again and eliminate a few that just arent good enough to keep, and will change any that have a high rate of quick tackle results. I saw a few problems were QBs would fake a hand off and then kind of float toward the LOS, so the play must have been effected by the patch.

After the above game I did a quick game, me vs the computer, for one half. The result was pretty good, game tied 7-7. But the main thing was that both offenses were more consistent.

I will upload a final draft version of the playbook today, I will be gone for almost two weeks starting tomorrow night, so would like to have a solid playbook for people to test.

The next step will be to set up a game plan/ situations for the playbook. Last night I noticed that AI was using GL defenses at the wrong time and called many offensive plays at poor times.

Sonny -> RE: 1959NFL playbook available for download (3/18/2006 6:15:06 PM)

quote:

I saw a few problems were QBs would fake a hand off and then kind of float toward the LOS, so the play must have been effected by the patch.

I saw that before the patch.

Also I wondered if faking a handoff really affected the defensive players or not.

nmleague -> RE: 1959NFL playbook available for download (3/18/2006 7:42:17 PM)

Another day [:)]. Just did the first half of a quick game, using the 1959 playbook. I coached the Colts vs computer Bears. First half stats shown below.

I did something different also, before the game I used the Data constant utility. Still wasnt happy about how strong the DL was playing so made two changes. Changed the Pass block Stength factor from 1.5 to 1.7, and the Push Block Strength factor from 1.75 to 1.9. It seemed to cut down on the penetration of the DL, but they still got a rush and made plays. Im finding that a nice offensive drive can be put together with this playbook, espeically with the use of audibles. But the defense definitely shuts down plays, so there is kind of a rock sissors paper strategy also.

May not have time today to make any more changes to plays, tried to make a note of any of bad failures while playing the game.

[image]local://upfiles/19384/964235038599459FA1F5DE9307AD6138.jpg[/image]

Tbird -> RE: 1959NFL playbook available for download (3/18/2006 10:31:13 PM)

I'm finally gonna download this sucker
I'll try it out after lunch [8D]

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI