Any new news on the upcoming civil war game??? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

Tanaka -> Any new news on the upcoming civil war game??? (3/14/2006 7:34:12 AM)

Screenshots? Websites? Details? [:)]

Raverdave -> RE: Any new news on the upcoming civil war game??? (3/14/2006 10:46:44 AM)

I'm also waiting for info on this !

TBKR -> RE: Any new news on the upcoming civil war game??? (3/14/2006 11:03:13 AM)

I'm awaiting this one with interest. Hope it goes down to regiment level and can be played across the whole of the continental United States. Although I wouldn't expect to see Confederates in still want to have the option of conducting a battle in Colorado as happened historically.

Also like the prospect of raising troops in the west for garrison duty or to send East.

ShermanM4 -> RE: Any new news on the upcoming civil war game??? (3/14/2006 4:01:54 PM)

quote:

I'm awaiting this one with interest. Hope it goes down to regiment level and can be played across the whole of the continental United States. Although I wouldn't expect to see Confederates in still want to have the option of conducting a battle in Colorado as happened historically.

Also like the prospect of raising troops in the west for garrison duty or to send East.

The battle in New Mexico of the Ratone Pass could have gone either way. It would be neat to see the 1st Colorado Volunteers (they were called the Little Lambs) in action out in the west. The battle of La Glorieta Pass would be neat to engage in also.

anarchyintheuk -> RE: Any new news on the upcoming civil war game??? (3/14/2006 9:52:19 PM)

Dealing w/ Union and Reb fanboys would be a change from Allied and Axis fanboys. [:D] Anybody want to start an Enfield vs. Harpers Ferry or Parrot vs. Columbiad thread?

Guz -> RE: Any new news on the upcoming civil war game??? (3/19/2006 10:30:28 PM)

What CW war game?!?!?!?!?!

Reiryc -> RE: Any new news on the upcoming civil war game??? (3/19/2006 10:50:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Guz

I believe one is being made based off the engine used for Gary Grigsby's World at War.

Tanaka -> RE: Any new news on the upcoming civil war game??? (3/20/2006 12:42:40 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Reiryc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Guz

I believe one is being made based off the engine used for Gary Grigsby's World at War.

see link...

http://www.2by3games.com/devjournal/journal20051108.html

Tacoma -> RE: Any new news on the upcoming civil war game??? (3/20/2006 4:49:40 AM)

Here's the latest update from 2By3 Games:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1077306

Tanaka -> RE: Any new news on the upcoming civil war game??? (3/20/2006 5:09:26 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tacoma

Here's the latest update from 2By3 Games:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1077306

Great thanks!

Raverdave -> RE: Any new news on the upcoming civil war game??? (3/20/2006 1:15:51 PM)

From the Dev's web page:- " The game has monthly turns".[:(][:(][:(][:(][:(][:(]

I was kinda hoping for weekly turns[:(] A month is much too bloody long.....you could loose a whole state in one month ![:(]

ravinhood -> RE: Any new news on the upcoming civil war game??? (3/20/2006 2:28:09 PM)

Lol there we go the WHINES have already started. One wants weekly turns, another will want bi-weekly turns, I want daily turns. hahahaha

JudgeDredd -> RE: Any new news on the upcoming civil war game??? (3/20/2006 2:42:28 PM)

If it's monthly turns I doubt I'll be interested. In fact, the fact it's monthly turns and based on GG:WaW, I shouldn't think I'll be picking it up. Each to their own, but I couldn't go the interface with GG:WaW...and that fact there were 3 monthly turns. I much prefer the HoI2 game play....controllable hourly turns would do me fine. I'd probably even go daily...but when you start talking monthly, quarterly etc it just seems like their are chunks of time not being used efficiently enough, or that perhaps there isn't the depth...I don't know. I just know I wanted to like GG:WaW but couldn't...sorry Gary.

ravinhood -> RE: Any new news on the upcoming civil war game??? (3/21/2006 1:23:27 AM)

See and that's how I feel about the HTTR/COTA engine. To each his own like YOU said. ;)

JudgeDredd -> RE: Any new news on the upcoming civil war game??? (3/21/2006 9:43:59 AM)

Yep...we're all made from different moulds.

Greyshaft -> RE: Any new news on the upcoming civil war game??? (3/21/2006 11:02:59 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Yep...we're all made from different moulds.

I'm not

Cap Mandrake -> RE: Any new news on the upcoming civil war game??? (3/21/2006 6:47:29 PM)

Monthly turns??? I'm sorry. That is just dumb. The CSA moved several divisions of troops by rail/foot from the Shenandoah Valley to the first Battle of Bull Run in days.

This sounds like something you could play by memory while driving to grandma's house......"move one of the grey armies to the Maryland/Pennsylvania area for me....and take one of the horses too"

rhondabrwn -> RE: Any new news on the upcoming civil war game??? (3/21/2006 7:33:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

Monthly turns??? I'm sorry. That is just dumb. The CSA moved several divisions of troops by rail/foot from the Shenandoah Valley to the first Battle of Bull Run in days.

This sounds like something you could play by memory while driving to grandma's house......"move one of the grey armies to the Maryland/Pennsylvania area for me....and take one of the horses too"

That sounds familiar! Could we be talking about the old MB American Civil War game witht the cute little plastic infantry, cavalry, and artillery pieces?

Hadn't thought of that one in awhile.

Hey, let's bring back the "line up your troops in a long column and then see whose column is longer" design approach. [:D]

Still, it was a fun game for a 10 year old and her older brother to play!

Seriously... I am also not a fan of games with lengthy strategic turns (like GGWAW). I could see weekly turns, but not monthly or quarterly. That is just too "strategic" for my liking. It may be suited for a modern war where action continues winter and summer, but not for a 19th century campaign where there was a short campaigning season with everything grinding to a halt as winter approaches (and the subsequent "muddy" spring" makes operations impossible.

BUT... I'm such a sucker for the Civil War that I will buy it however this game turns out! Just may not play it as much as I would have hoped. I own both HOI2 and GGWAW and I can see that my "niche" is somewhere between the two extremes.

benpark -> RE: Any new news on the upcoming civil war game??? (3/21/2006 9:43:43 PM)

Doesn't sound like my cuppa either. I'll be interested to see what it looks like, though.

randell765 -> RE: Any new news on the upcoming civil war game??? (3/23/2006 5:09:27 AM)

At first when I heard that it is going to be montly turns I balked. But then I played the demo scenarios of "Birth of America", possibly the best strategy game I have played(at least in my opinion, I prefer revolutionary or civil war games, Im sure everyone has their own preference, though). Regardless that this game is the style I prefer, the game is practically perfect in every single way. And it has monthly turns. Download the demo if you do not believe me. A great, great game.

So all I am saying is, lets not judge this game before we see it. It could suck, it could be ok, or who knows, it could be great. When it comes out, let's judge it then.

Just my 2 cents, thought I'd throw it in there, now that I look back, it looks more like 1 cent [;)]

Tanaka -> RE: Any new news on the upcoming civil war game??? (5/5/2006 1:23:44 AM)

Yes I drool over the thought of a Civil War WITP type game...

Monthly turns yikes yes weekly would be better.... but here's hoping this game will have lots of detail despite monthly turns...

Marc_Mitscher -> RE: Any new news on the upcoming civil war game??? (5/12/2006 4:36:25 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tanaka

Yes I drool over the thought of a Civil War WITP type game...

I feel the same way. I'm looking forward to more news on this one.

ravinhood -> RE: Any new news on the upcoming civil war game??? (5/12/2006 7:32:26 PM)

Yeah I woulld like a WITP Civil War game and I want every single soldier and cannon and horsie represented in a tactical combat portion of the grand scale strategic game as well. I want to play in god mode and just scroll the camara around the battlefield as the supreme AI that could beat any human plays out the entire war before my eyes drawing my attention to major battles and notifying me when an officer of importance dies. It is as I invision aliens watching us on their home computers as we are their SIMS hehe It's the only thing that can explain why humans do so many silly and rediculous things, an aliens 8 year old has found his dads "Civilization" game and is mucking with it. ;)

jchastain -> RE: Any new news on the upcoming civil war game??? (5/14/2006 3:57:36 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Raverdave
you could loose a whole state in one month ![:(]

If it is based on the GGWAW engine, then I suspect the in many instances entire states will be territories. While many of us would prefer a more granular simulation, I believe that engine is actually better suited to the civil war than it was to WWII though they still need to find a way to make combined arms more effective. Technology will be toned WAY down and the units will be more unique with different roles which, in my mind anyway, should eliminate the most significant design issue with the engine itself and its application to WWII in particular.

USSLockwood -> RE: Any new news on the upcoming civil war game??? (5/16/2006 6:03:44 PM)

On the 2x3 website the game is described as having 400 territories. The map will be, at a guess, on the order of a 20x20 grid. Coupled with monthly turns, I find the prospect unexciting. I would much prefer a WITP style map, with daily turns, and the addition of political factors. It could be very interesting, with Kentucky neuterality, draft riots, cotton politics, and the old chimera of the south, european intervention!

Doktor
San Diego
Home of the World's Busiest Radar Approach Control

Erik Rutins -> RE: Any new news on the upcoming civil war game??? (5/16/2006 6:43:27 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jchastain
quote:

ORIGINAL: Raverdave
you could loose a whole state in one month ![:(]

If it is based on the GGWAW engine, then I suspect the in many instances entire states will be territories. While many of us would prefer a more granular simulation, I believe that engine is actually better suited to the civil war than it was to WWII though they still need to find a way to make combined arms more effective. Technology will be toned WAY down and the units will be more unique with different roles which, in my mind anyway, should eliminate the most significant design issue with the engine itself and its application to WWII in particular.

A quick count just gave me 18 territories in Virginia, so I can assure you that (except for small states), we're not talking one territory per state. Note also that we have more than one Civil War project in the works. Frankly, I think that Civil War fans will be in ecstasy by the end of this year.

Regards,

- Erik

mlees -> RE: Any new news on the upcoming civil war game??? (5/16/2006 9:11:45 PM)

quote:

Frankly, I think that Civil War fans will be in ecstasy by the end of this year.

Ecstasy? You mean I might actually swoon? Mighty big boast, sir. I must say, I am intrigued by your optimism... [;)]

sol_invictus -> RE: Any new news on the upcoming civil war game??? (5/16/2006 9:41:56 PM)

This is the first I have heard of "another" Civil War project in the works, unless you are counting Frank's new version of Sumpter to Appomattox. If you are referring to some other project, please elaborate.

I don't swoon lightly.[;)]

ravinhood -> RE: Any new news on the upcoming civil war game??? (5/17/2006 2:01:03 AM)

Maybe the Koios guys are going to make a Civil War game after Panzer Command??? ;) Wouldn't that be great. CMlike Civil War Battles!!! Heh, just guessing.

Erik Rutins -> RE: Any new news on the upcoming civil war game??? (5/17/2006 2:15:02 AM)

Yes, Frank's is still a ways in the future - we're working with him on Guns of August right now. There are two Civil War projects other than Frank's in current development.

Regards,

- Erik

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI