RE: Reaction closing and distancing - IJN point of view (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

ChezDaJez -> RE: Reaction closing and distancing - IJN point of view (3/17/2006 1:29:55 AM)

quote:

Would you like to have 1-6 hour pulses instead and wait an hour for a day to pass staring at the monitor? I am a big fan historicalicity but given the restraints of the interface IMHO it is the BEST we can get.

I think a 24 hr turn with four 6-hour movement pulses would be better. But that is a different problem.

The problem here is just as dTravel has stated. In order for my carriers to react, then you have to know where the Allied carriers are. But how can you know where they are when the movement impulse occurs before the search impulse? It's simple, the AI cheats and compares positions without regards to spotting and sends them on their merry reactive way.

The other part of this equation is: Why is the AI incapable of realizing that heavily damaged carriers that are incapable of flight ops should be running away, not towards the enemy in a futile banzai charge? Reaction should be determined BOTH ways: when to close and when to run (assuming you don't care about the fact that reaction occurs before spotting). That is the real problem with reaction IMO.

Chez

Ron Saueracker -> RE: Reaction closing and distancing - IJN point of view (3/17/2006 3:26:35 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChezDaJez

quote:

Would you like to have 1-6 hour pulses instead and wait an hour for a day to pass staring at the monitor? I am a big fan historicalicity but given the restraints of the interface IMHO it is the BEST we can get.

I think a 24 hr turn with four 6-hour movement pulses would be better. But that is a different problem.

The problem here is just as dTravel has stated. In order for my carriers to react, then you have to know where the Allied carriers are. But how can you know where they are when the movement impulse occurs before the search impulse? It's simple, the AI cheats and compares positions without regards to spotting and sends them on their merry reactive way.

The other part of this equation is: Why is the AI incapable of realizing that heavily damaged carriers that are incapable of flight ops should be running away, not towards the enemy in a futile banzai charge? Reaction should be determined BOTH ways: when to close and when to run (assuming you don't care about the fact that reaction occurs before spotting). That is the real problem with reaction IMO.

Chez

I remember this example,,,bummer! That's the problem...there has to be a set of checks and parameters to govern naval movement. They exist for some air aspects but these were developed for other games I suspect so they are more developed overall. This is the main reason why multi turn play is a non starter for me...no cause and effect relationships exist at all regarding naval ops.

Ursa MAior -> RE: Reaction closing and distancing - IJN point of view (3/17/2006 8:52:10 AM)

I see. Misunderstood. Sorry.

[:D]That's why you should only use Yamaguchi till May 42. [:D]
As a mostly IJN player I tended to underrate Nagumo, but with similar exp's (altough not that serious) I've learned to value him and Ozawa too.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI