I've downloaded the General's Edition... (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center

Grunt -> I've downloaded the General's Edition... (3/29/2006 3:09:25 AM)

and patched to 8.4. Now what? Is that all I need? I'm a little confused by talk about the mods, mech.exe, etc. Will scenarios from the SPWaW.com work with 8.4 or are they designed for mods? Should I be starting the game from mech.exe? Sorry for the basic questions.

BTW, I'm new to SP:WaW. Though I've wargamed for a long time. Started when I was 13 yrs old with the old Avalon Hill games; Guadalcanal and Midway. Eventually progressed to Advanced Squad Leader. Currently spending a lot of time on War in the Pacific. A great game. I hope to get as much enjoyment from SP:WaW too.

Russ

PS I live in the San Francisco, CA area.

azraelck -> RE: I've downloaded the General's Edition... (3/29/2006 3:39:38 AM)

Cool! Welcome to SPWaW. I'm the resident Sam Hall. Our troll is busy eating some infantry up, and I can't vouch for the rest.

That's all you'll need, and what comes with the game can last a long time. I still haven't downloaded anything yet, neither mod nor map. What comes with the game is just that good. When you installed the game, there should be a folder placed in your programs directory (start-all programs-ect). Just click on the icon that looks like two crossed swords that's named "Steel Panthers: World at War: and your good to go.

I think you'll find this is a great enough game to keep you occupied for a long time. I come from more medieval themed games, and this is among the most "modern" wargames I've played; and it's quickly become one of my favorites within just a few months.

Grunt -> RE: I've downloaded the General's Edition... (3/29/2006 3:57:08 AM)

Thanks, asraelck. I haven't started a scenario but I did scan the list. I was amazed at the number of scenarios. You are right, it will last me a good long time.

Russ

Korpraali V -> RE: I've downloaded the General's Edition... (3/29/2006 3:57:18 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: azraelck

Just click on the icon that looks like two crossed swords that's named "Steel Panthers: World at War: and your good to go.

That's "Quick Start"-button. It's used because the formal start-button won't probably work correctly. So just delete the shortcut placed on your desktop and replace it with Quick Start -button.

Some scenarios and campaigns were designed on earlier versions of SPWAW, but most should work correctly in 8.4. From www.spwaw.com you may find some updates to 8.3 version. (To download you have to register first to forums. But it's free [;)])

Have fun!

azraelck -> RE: I've downloaded the General's Edition... (3/29/2006 4:01:25 AM)

I had no idea that was quick start. I just looked at the one that looked best and hit it. It's at the top of my most used programs list right now. [:D]

There is one campaign that I never managed to get to work, Legion de Valorosia or some such. The last one in the list. There is no points for a core force. I seriously doubt that a map was designed with just the HQ in mind...

Korpraali V -> RE: I've downloaded the General's Edition... (3/29/2006 4:10:55 AM)

quote:

It's at the top of my most used programs list right now. [:D]

[:D] Then you're probably belonging to a majority. [:D]

Zap -> RE: I've downloaded the General's Edition... (3/30/2006 9:06:53 AM)

I guess this thread answers my question, which was when you buy the mega campaigns/general edition the 8.403 upgrade is not already put on the game cd you buy. How long does it take before i could expect that upgrade added on the cd disk?
reason i'm asking is, would like all uprades already on cd disk. I believe i read Eric Rutkins say that Matrix occasionally does the above upgrading of their disks for purchasers.

chief -> RE: I've downloaded the General's Edition... (3/30/2006 8:45:51 PM)

Zap:

Version 8.403 in it's present form is a BETA version and as such is not the final version from MATRIX. When you read that MATRIX updates their discs they really mean that when an update is available it will be published here in the forums, and it's up to you to download it. By the way I may be wrong here but isn't the General edition version 8.2 and as such you should download 8.3, someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.

IBTyrone -> RE: I've downloaded the General's Edition... (3/31/2006 3:39:25 PM)

quote:

There is one campaign that I never managed to get to work, Legion de Valorosia or some such. The last one in the list. There is no points for a core force. I seriously doubt that a map was designed with just the HQ in mind...

Yeah, that one has never worked. I'm sort of researching it now.

IBTyrone -> RE: I've downloaded the General's Edition... (3/31/2006 3:40:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: chief

Zap:

Version 8.403 in it's present form is a BETA version and as such is not the final version from MATRIX. When you read that MATRIX updates their discs they really mean that when an update is available it will be published here in the forums, and it's up to you to download it. By the way I may be wrong here but isn't the General edition version 8.2 and as such you should download 8.3, someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.

I believe you are right, Chief. I bought GE awhile back and it came with 8.2 on the CD so I had to update it to 8.3->8.4->8.403.

Zap -> RE: I've downloaded the General's Edition... (4/1/2006 6:35:09 AM)

Thank you for the quick reply Chief and IBTyrone. I can do the download thing when i purchase the game[:)]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI