Just wondering.... (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> John Tiller's Battleground Series

General -> Just wondering.... (4/7/2006 4:50:35 AM)

Are there any Civil War Battleground Series players left standing?

rhondabrwn -> RE: Just wondering.... (4/7/2006 9:03:01 AM)

Sure, lots of us. Battleground Gettysburg often hits the "best" lists around here.

I mostly play HPS Campaign Gettysburg and/or Shiloh at the moment. Looking forward to the Matrix release of the series though.

Caranorn -> RE: Just wondering.... (4/7/2006 2:54:53 PM)

Yep, still around as well though I haven't come to installing BG on my new computer yet.

General -> RE: Just wondering.... (4/7/2006 10:05:49 PM)

Glad to hear there are some players left. I'm looking forward to Matrix re-releasing the Battleground series.
I recently pulled my Shiloh game out of the cobwebs and played. Years ago i wouldn't give any AI advantage and win without too much of a problem. What setting on the AI advantage gives the best fight?

Also, my Gettsyburg game will download, but when i go to play it says the CD isn't in the right disk drive? Any ideas on how to fix that? The computer i'm using to play the games on is a old one. It plays Shiloh without a problem.

I've never played online, but would enjoy the human challenge. Was there much playing online years ago when the games were introduced?

Thanks for any info.

Caranorn -> RE: Just wondering.... (4/7/2006 11:00:19 PM)

To be honest, when playing against the ai I almost always use the standard advantage settings (which I assume to be 0) (but with maximal FoW). I do like to win, and while the ai indeed tends to be pretty dumb, I doubt changeing the advantage will actually make it any more realistic (which is what I'd aim for).

I'm pretty sure there is a fix for your CD problem. I wish I recalled what I did on my old computer. If I remember correctly I even made myself a single CD to start all BG series games on (so I wouldn't have to switch disks). It should even be possible to do this with a virtual disk.

As to playing over the internet, I did play a few tournament games of the BG napoleonic games. Several communities were pretty active a few years ago. But I believe they have since withered (at least the one I used to belong to has). If you do a websearch you should find a ACW community still active (all my links are still on my old computer), though I'm not sure they do much BG anymore (they migrated to the campaigns games I believe). Hopefully the matrix edition will revive the community.

P.S.: That ACW community also has some tech help to run the BG games, you will probably find the answer to your BG Gettysburg CD problem there. How far have you patched your games? There are some very good 32 bit unofficial patches by the game's designer out there and I would no longer play without those.

1NWCG -> RE: Just wondering.... (4/9/2006 10:04:49 PM)

If you are looking for Napoleonic opponents in both Battleground and HPS stop by our club.

1st International Napoleonics Wargaming Club (1INWCG)

We have a couple hundred members and a good club stucture. We are also looking for the inclusion of future and current Matrix games such as:

Black Powder Wars: Battles of Napoleon (which is being amde by one of our members)

We are also looking for people to help us test:

Campaigns Along the Danube and Crown of Glory.

So feel free to stop by or send me a message here.

lancerunolfsson -> RE: Just wondering.... (4/10/2006 8:06:44 AM)

Here are a couple of thoughts on your "Wrong Drive" message for your cd in your BG game

1] Your most likely problem is you are running XP right click on each of your .exe s in the BG folder, select <Properties> compatibility> windows 95> Apply

2] Un install and reinstall the game make sure to delete the game folder from C:,

3] For the longest time I had a problem with one computer where in the case of Talonsoft games only, Campaign series and Opart the game would initiate when the disk was placed in the install from drive. But would "wrong drive" message when starting scenarios. Moving the disk to the machines other drive (even though it was not the one installed from) allowed play. Narrowed this down to those games just not liking physical drives with letters higher than F:. so as long as the installed from drive was D:,E:,F: no problem. Oddly with virtual drives this was not an issue. All this related to 98se

Solaris -> RE: Just wondering.... (4/11/2006 12:24:24 PM)

If anyone is interested in playing the Civil War Battleground series in quite a competitive environment then I believe the Civil War Gaming Club is still going stong.

Check out this link....

Civil War Gaming

I used to be a member until a couple of years ago and it was a LOT of fun.

When the new games come out I'm going to see if anyone is up for playing LIVE over the net - rather than PBEM! I did it once and it was an exhilirating experience, though very nervewracking at the same time.

General -> RE: Just wondering.... (4/12/2006 4:13:14 PM)

Thanks for the ideas. I'm running Windows 98 on that computer. I retried it yesterday and same results. I tried one of the demos that comes with Gettysburg and it worked fine. I'm not sure how to change drives? I put the CD in, go to programs click on Gettysburg and the main screen comes on and when i click on start new scenario it says it isn't in the right cd drive? I tried downloading on my other drive in that computer and that didn't help either. Shiloh runs fine on the same computer.
Does the Battleground series work on Windows XP?

lancerunolfsson -> RE: Just wondering.... (4/13/2006 12:07:20 PM)

quote:

Does the Battleground series work on Windows XP?

Yes just use the compatability function described above on the game exe

grayfoxx -> RE: Just wondering.... (5/3/2006 7:15:34 PM)

I'm running XP and can't get any of the Battleground games to laucnh successfully even under the W98 compatibility option. They load fine but crash when I launch. There appears to be a problem in the kernel32.dll. I'm anxiously awaitig the release of the updated Battleground games. Any release dates for that ?

Praepositus -> RE: Just wondering.... (5/4/2006 1:29:31 AM)

Grayfoxx-

I had a similar problem with another dll file, but that was when I tried to download the updates from a certain website.

Is the game not working whenever you install the game initially, or when you update it and then try to run it? If the latter is the case, try going to www.patches-scrolls.de and type in the name of the game. This site has all the patches and the 32 bit programs.

If it's a problem with the initial (ie; original) install, then I have no idea. I know that Chickamauga doesn't work very well with windows XP, but there's a patch for that as well.

Either way, good luck.

Praepositus

General -> RE: Just wondering.... (5/4/2006 4:50:52 AM)

On my computer running windows XP, I put my Gettysburg CD in and did the BGG setup thing and it runs great. I didn't have to change anything. I'm starting the second day of battle and feeling very sorry for Johnny reb who is coming up against a very fortified wall of cannon and 58 caliber rifles. Ole Robert E. Lee doesn't have a chance against the general!

For some reason I didn't think the Battleground series worked with windows XP and have always played them on the older computer I let the kids play with that has windows 98. I also play Shiloh, but have never played any others. Any suggestions on which Civil War battle ground series to buy next?

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI