worth it? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory

Intoxicated Man -> worth it? (4/23/2006 10:07:02 PM)

I'm thinking of buying this game. I've followed the forum a little bit and I've read the manual, and I'm interested. But it seems that not much is happening at the moment and everyone is waiting for patch 1.2.
Also, I like to play with real people, but I understand that the pbm option doesn't allow for detailed battles, is that the case? Is is it true that if someone drop the game cannot continue due to lack of AI taking over?
Why there isn't more people playing multiplayer games? why there isn't a tournament or regular games organized by someone?
Sometimes I think that the only way of keeping people interested is making them paying a fee[8|]

Grand_Armee -> RE: worth it? (4/23/2006 10:33:52 PM)

HI Intoxicated man,
I think this is a great game. True, it needs a few little fixes, but compared to anything else I've seen in this genre, it's still the at the top.
As for playing other people, this game is great for playing tcp/ip. I believe this game is too fast paced for PBEM. And detailed battles against another human are fantastic!
You wouldn't be able to do detailed battles by PBEM because you move a few units (not all of them at once) and then your opponent moves a few. Movement is by initiative, so this game is unlike others. Instead of player a moving all of his forces then shooting yours before you can do anything, each may do a few at a time, shooting throughout if he can. It makes a player have to think about his moves and avoid doing crazy things like sending one unit far ahead of the others....simply because the other guy might get to surround that unit entirely...because the initiative has switched to some of his units.
Like all AI's, this one is beatable after a few months of play. I think this game is worth every penny, and worth a lot more once you start playing other humans.

Cheers!

cambronne -> RE: worth it? (4/23/2006 11:38:41 PM)

I would buy it. In fact, I did.
I have played just about every nappy pc game there is and this is one of the best.

jchastain -> RE: worth it? (4/24/2006 3:15:46 PM)

Same here. I bought it and am glad I did. It is one of those few titles that stays on the hard drive months after I bought it.

The patch will be nice, but the game is perfectly playable in its current state. As for detailed combat in multi-player, I think it would have slowed things down WAY too much. Even with just 2 players, it would be a huge time sink. With more than 2, can you imagine having to wait 3 hours for your next turn? It's just not feasible. So, use MP for when you want to experience the grand strategy against another human and then play single player when you can't find an opponent or just want to mess around and play with the tactical battles.

mogami -> RE: worth it? (4/24/2006 3:35:24 PM)

Hi, Actually in TCP/IP play we always use the detailed combat (except versus the AI when human is sure to win) and it does not slow the game down. At least 2 of the players are involved and the battles are fun and interesting (and enlightning) to watch.

I prefer to watch potentional Allies or eneimes fight. (and it's a good time to make lunch or a pot of coffee or use the rest room) The average battle takes 15-30 minutes to resolve.

I will not play online unless I have the option to fight a detailed battle against AI (when there is doubt to outcome) and all battles between humans will be detailed.

Reiryc -> RE: worth it? (4/25/2006 5:13:01 AM)

Simple and quick reply...

Worth it? Yes, very much so.

soeren01 -> RE: worth it? (4/25/2006 9:34:42 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Reiryc

Simple and quick reply...

Worth it? Yes, very much so.

I agree

Tanaka -> RE: worth it? (4/25/2006 10:49:48 PM)

yep great game!

Krec -> RE: worth it? (4/26/2006 9:17:21 AM)

best napy game out there!![:D]

ptan54 -> RE: worth it? (5/9/2006 5:07:40 PM)

Yes, might want to wait for the 1.2 patch first.

Grand_Armee -> RE: worth it? (5/9/2006 10:51:14 PM)

No need to wait for the patch. What bugs remain at this stage are only minor nuisances.

Syagrius -> RE: worth it? (5/12/2006 8:43:21 PM)

I am interested to get the game also. But I am not going to buy it directly from Matrix, wow 62 bucks? Why is it so expansive, I can have it for 36$ from Amazon??

cambronne -> RE: worth it? (5/12/2006 9:12:17 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Syagrius

I am interested to get the game also. But I am not going to buy it directly from Matrix, wow 62 bucks? Why is it so expansive, I can have it for 36$ from Amazon??

I just checked the Matrix site and it is $50 in US dollars. Where are you?
I think that I paid $40, but I would still pay $60 for the game. I have gotten plenty of enjoyment from it.

Syagrius -> RE: worth it? (5/12/2006 9:16:42 PM)

I am in Canada, even with the conversion from US dollards its still pretty expensive. I will try to get from retail, I think I saw it from less than 40$

Southern Hunter -> RE: worth it? (5/13/2006 7:14:33 AM)

Try and think of the price in two ways.

Sure, you want to get it as cheap as possible.

Secondly, it is your contribution to the developer for all the design, time and effort that has gone into the game. They actually need the money :-) If you buy direct from Matrix, the developer is likely to get a MUCH bigger return than buying retail.

Cheers,

Hunter

jchastain -> RE: worth it? (5/13/2006 9:46:14 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Hunter

Try and think of the price in two ways.

Sure, you want to get it as cheap as possible.

Secondly, it is your contribution to the developer for all the design, time and effort that has gone into the game. They actually need the money :-) If you buy direct from Matrix, the developer is likely to get a MUCH bigger return than buying retail.

Cheers,

Hunter

Looking at it from another angle though, by buying through a retailer, you are making them realize that there is a demand for these types of games which will make them more likely to carry future titles, which will expose them to a bigger audience, which will lead to additional sales and growth for the genre.

At then end of the day, producers and retailers have developed business reationships that work for them. As the consumer, you should buy what you want, when you want it, at the best price available at that time. The cash flow beyond that will sort itself out as the businesses involved are all savvy enough to protect their own interests.

DanielAnsell -> RE: worth it? (5/14/2006 9:32:59 PM)

Crown of Glory is well worth it. I got mine by direct download from Matrix, I think it was around $40 US, and I don't regret a penny of it. I don't buy too many wargames, but the few I buy tend to be from Matrix, just because I like the company, and they simply make good material.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI