Batting average and runs? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball

JudgeDredd -> Batting average and runs? (5/29/2006 1:06:52 AM)

What are the differences between batting average and runs?

I have a player who has a batting average of .404 and he has 5 RBIs to his name. I have another player who has a batting average of .269 and yet he has 5 home runs and 11 RBIs.

Initially I thought the batting average was linked to RBIs and home runs, but now I think not. Is the batting average the number of times the person has batted and made a base i.e. a hit? And RBIs and home runs are included in this scroe (obviously because they are contact with the ball where the batter moved off the plate successfully).

Is this the case?

Thx

henry296 -> RE: Batting average and runs? (5/29/2006 1:21:32 AM)

Batting Average - you are correct. It is the percentage of times that gets a hit. If you walk it doesn't count at all.

RBIs - Runs Batter In. The number of runners that score when you are batting.

Home Runs - A specific type of hit. A home run is when you score on the same play when you you bat. Typically it is when the ball it hit out of the park, but there are Inside the Park Homeruns as well, but they are very rare in today's game.

JudgeDredd -> RE: Batting average and runs? (5/29/2006 1:42:15 AM)

Thx very much

Amaroq -> RE: Batting average and runs? (5/29/2006 3:22:26 AM)

Judge - Let's run through a hypothetical game or three for one player. I'll keep his stats current after each at bat - ask if any play is unclear why the totals changed as they did.

1st inning: 2 outs, nobody on.
Result: strike out. Inning over.
Stats: 0 hits, 0 walks, 1 at bat, 1 plate appearance. .000 batting average. .000 on-base percentage. 0 runs. 0 HR. 0 RBI.

4th inning: 1 out, nobody on.
Result: single
The batter after him hits a home run, so our player scores.
Stats: 1 hit, 0 walks, 2 at bats, 2 plate appearances. .500 batting average. .500 on-base percentage. 1 run. 0 HR. 0 RBI.

6th inning: 2 outs, runners on first and third.
Result: double. Both runners on base score
The batter after him strikes out, so our player does not score
Stats: 2 hits, 0 walks, 3 at bats, 3 PA. .667 batting average. .667 on-base percentage. 1 run. 0 HR. 2 RBI.

7th inning: 2 outs, runner on third.
Result: walk.
The batter after him grounds out.
Stats: 2 hits, 1 walk, 3 at bats, 4 plate appearances. .667 batting average. .750 on-base percentage. 1 run. 0 HR. 2 RBI.

Next game:
1st inning: 1 out, runner on first.
Result: home run. the runner on first scores, and our player scores.
Stats: 3 hits, 1 walk, 4 at bats, 5 plate appearances .750 batting average. .800 OBP. 2 runs. 1 HR. 4 RBI

3rd inning: 1 out, bases loaded
Result: Strike out.
Stats: 3 hits, 1 walk, 5 at bats, 6 plate appearances. .600 avg. .667 OBP. 2 runs. 1 HR. 4 RBI.

6th inning: 0 outs, runner on first.
Result: ground ball to short-stop. SS throws to 2B. The runner from first is retired at second on a force-out.
Our batter was safe at first on a "Fielder's Choice". This isn't a hit or a walk, but does count as an at bat.
The next batter triples, and our batter scores.
Stats: 3 hits, 1 walk, 6 at bats, 7 P.A.. .500 avg. .571 OBP. 3 runs. 1 HR. 4 RBI.

8th inning: 1 out, runner on second.
Result: walk.
The next batter hits into a 6-4-3 double play - our batter is retired at second, and the next batter is retired at first.
Stats: 3 hits, 2 walks, 6 at bats, 8 P.A. .500 avg. .625 OBP. 3 runs. 1 HR. 4 RBI.

Next game:
1st inning: 2 outs, nobody on.
Result: strike out.
Stats: 3 hits, 2 walks, 7 at bats, 9 P.A. .429 avg. .556 OBP. 3 runs. 1 HR. 4 RBI.

3rd inning: 2 outs, bases loaded.
Result: Walk - which scores the runner from third
The next batter strikes out.
Stats: 3 hits, 3 walks, 7 at bats, 10 P.A. .429 avg. .600 OBP. 3 runs. 1 HR. 5 RBI.

6th inning: 0 outs, runner on third.
Result: ground out to SS, 6-3. Runner from third scores.
Stats: 3 hits, 3 walks, 8 at bats, 11 P.A. .375 avg. .545 OBP. 3 runs. 1 HR. 6 RBI.

If any of the calculated numbers aren't making sense...
Plate Appearances: total times to the plate (hits + walks + outs)
At bats: times to the plate that do not result in a walk or a sacrifice (hits + outs)
Avg: hits / at bats
OBP: (hits + walks) / plate appearances
Runs: times our batter crossed the plate personally.
RBI: times a player crossed home plate as a result of our player's plate appearance.

So, batting average is not linked at all to RBIs or home runs...

Average comes from hits.

You can get RBI's without hits (in that third game, we saw our player get 2 RBI, one for a walk, and one for a ground out.)

Each HR is a hit, but since they're usually a low percentage of hits, it is possible to see a player get a great batting average with few home runs, or get a good number of home runs without having a good batting average.

captskillet -> RE: Batting average and runs? (5/30/2006 2:03:43 PM)

Judge dont forget the link I sent you to Baseball Almanac... that page should explain how each stat is derived and give you alittle more insight as to their meaning and sig. (and alot of them you dont need to pay attention to) and baseball in general.

Heres one on scoring.....http://baseball-almanac.com/scoring.shtml

stats.........http://baseball-almanac.com/bstatmen.shtml

rules.........http://baseball-almanac.com/rulemenu.shtml

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI