HA! I think this guy hit the nail on the head (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

ravinhood -> HA! I think this guy hit the nail on the head (6/3/2006 8:50:26 AM)

posted June 01, 2006 01:08 PM @battlefront.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by pzgndr:
Too late.

quote:
Staten Island, NY, November 19th, 2004 - Matrix Games (www.matrixgames.com) is pleased to announce that it has secured the rights to publish Magnetar Games’ (www.magnetargames.com) licensed computer adaptation of Bruce Harper’s acclaimed board game, A World At War (www.aworldatwar.com). Design and development is underway with no set release date.

I love Matrix Games, don't get me wrong. I own many of their fine games.

However...

They start about 10 games for every one they finish. They have far too many press releases about the next great project they are starting and far too few about the ones they just finished. Everytime they start a new game, I thinkg, 'Great, which old game gets put on hold for this?'

I mean how long have we waited for:
Guns of August
World In Flames
Black Powder Wars
Empire in Arms
The entire Talonsoft series
etc, ad nauseum.

Just once, I'd like them to pick a game and finish it before they announce the next 10 new games they are starting on.

So I don't think anyone wants to hold their breath before the Matrix version of ATR gets done!

--- END RANT ---

Terminus -> RE: HA! I think this guy hit the nail on the head (6/3/2006 12:13:57 PM)

If he "owns a large number of their fine games" then at least he has the right to criticize. What about you? Or do you just criticize to hear yourself type?

I think I hit that nail on the head!

Hertston -> RE: HA! I think this guy hit the nail on the head (6/3/2006 4:19:45 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

Just once, I'd like them to pick a game and finish it before they announce the next 10 new games they are starting on.

So I don't think anyone wants to hold their breath before the Matrix version of ATR gets done!

I must confess, as a fellow multiple Matrix purchaser, that you do have a point - it does get dispiriting after a while, and its very hard to drum up much enthusiasm for newly announced games any more. What on earth happened to Combined Arms:WW2 as well? One minute it seems almost done, and then a year later, nothing.

Much as I like early news, the same as everybody else, sometimes I think it would be better if the games weren't even announced until well into beta.. with the possible exception of "series" games where player input would be valuable before that.

Erik Rutins -> RE: HA! I think this guy hit the nail on the head (6/3/2006 4:55:34 PM)

There are certainly games we've started that we haven't finished. This happens more often than you might think with many publishers and developers. However, early on, we felt that announcing everything in progress no matter what the stage, was a good idea. I think we've gotten better about that. With over 40 games released, I think the ratio is more like 8:1 for Finished vs. "Limbo". Even so, it's almost impossible to bring every single project to fruition, particularly with the vagaries of small-scale publishing and development.

To respond to some of the other comments above:

"Guns of August
World In Flames
Black Powder Wars
Empire in Arms
The entire Talonsoft series"

Most of the delay on GoA was before we picked it up. It's moving along nicely to release now.

WiF is also moving along well, but did anyone expect this to be anything other than a monster project? Seriously? I think Steve has been doing a great job with this one.

Black Powder Wars is moving slower than we'd like, Frank has had many demands on his time (see GoA above)/

Empires in Arms has definitely been taking a while, but like the original FPG while it's long-awaited it will be completed and looks to be worth the wait.

Talonsoft Series - TOAW III about to release, Battleground games right on its heels, BoB/BotR moving along nicely, Campaign Series moving a bit slowly but there are exciting developments there as well.

The main "limbo" titles I can think of are Combat Leader and Combined Arms. I can vouch for the latter not being vaporware, but on a very slow schedule due to the other demands on my time. The former had a ton of promise, but was unfortunately not going to be completed in its original form.

Regards,

- Erik

JamesM -> RE: HA! I think this guy hit the nail on the head (6/4/2006 1:43:15 AM)

Erik thank you for that forthright reply.

Terminus -> RE: HA! I think this guy hit the nail on the head (6/4/2006 1:59:42 AM)

Agreed. Appreciate it...

ravinhood -> RE: HA! I think this guy hit the nail on the head (6/4/2006 2:04:52 AM)

[I think I hit that nail on the head! ]

No, you just made yourself look foolish.

One doesn't have to own a slew of any publishers games to agree with the writer of that thread. One could own one game and still be let down by all the games in the works or are told are in the works that are never seen. To give false hopes isn't very good marketing skills by a long shot. And not everyone (I'd even say a majority) likes or buys every single game a publisher/matrixgames makes. Some will buy anything and many will do the same and never play them, but, most certainly not a majority. The fact still remains of the point of this thread. A lot of hype and no bytes.

And on another note I probably would own a slew of "fine" matrixgames "when" they release them. IMHO there's only been a couple that even rank in the "fine" dept. Thank goodness they have Koios. Of course everyones tastes are different and expectations are different. Mine happen to be very high quality, I don't just buy a product just because it's for sale. Of course I will be buying "Panzer Commander" to add to MY FINE collection of Matrixgames. ;)

madflava13 -> RE: HA! I think this guy hit the nail on the head (6/4/2006 5:15:33 AM)

I think there's too many other variables in game development to blame it on Matrix... I think you're making a broad generalization based on too little information.

ravinhood -> RE: HA! I think this guy hit the nail on the head (6/4/2006 6:21:20 AM)

I'll give you a little example to go by. You can give your younger sister all the "fine" presents for christmas and her birthday, but, tell her you are going to take here to Six Flags or Disneyland/World and never do and find out how much trust she has in you afterwards. She'll never forget you broke your word and will easily forget what you gave her for all those christmases and birthdays. It's what you haven't done that you said you would she'll always harp on you for. ;)

jchastain -> RE: HA! I think this guy hit the nail on the head (6/4/2006 6:47:22 AM)

Option 1:  Matrix announces everything they are attempting.  Some of it does not come to fruition and they are accused of over-hyping, under-delivering, or even making bad promises.

Option 2:  Matrix holds back their announcements until they are reasonably certain they can deliver and they are accused of being secretive and hiding things from their customers.  Some will even accuse them of not announcing Game A in order to "trick" us into buying Game B without knowing a new product is forthcoming.

It really is a no-win scenario for them.

Double Tank -> RE: HA! I think this guy hit the nail on the head (6/4/2006 8:27:04 AM)

Well, I'm new to this place ( although I've checked it out about 100 times before buying a game! ) and I'm happy. I got Flashpoint Germany 2 weeks ago and for once I'm not waiting four years for a weapon to be built or an economy to grow ( HOI1 & 2 or the real nightmare >> Supreme Ruler ). This little game came to my house mint, Nice artwork etc,. I got my updates and so on and am having a BLAST! I can't thank them enough. Now maybe I'll get a zip or a zap in the future, but then again, I can restart in 2 seconds. I'll buy more.

Erik Rutins -> RE: HA! I think this guy hit the nail on the head (6/4/2006 8:32:26 AM)

Thanks Double Tank, great to have you with us. [8D]

rhondabrwn -> RE: HA! I think this guy hit the nail on the head (6/4/2006 7:15:17 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jchastain

Option 1: Matrix announces everything they are attempting. Some of it does not come to fruition and they are accused of over-hyping, under-delivering, or even making bad promises.

Option 2: Matrix holds back their announcements until they are reasonably certain they can deliver and they are accused of being secretive and hiding things from their customers. Some will even accuse them of not announcing Game A in order to "trick" us into buying Game B without knowing a new product is forthcoming.

I'd personally vote for Option #1... I rather enjoy the anticipation... and the frenzied forum activity and discussion that ensues after each new project is announced.

Matrix has produced quite enough games for me to be happy with (and far more than I can even play, let alone master).

Keep up the good work guys
[sm=bow.gif][sm=00001746.gif][sm=bow.gif]

Zap -> RE: HA! I think this guy hit the nail on the head (6/4/2006 7:43:48 PM)

Hey Double Tank,

Are you giving a negative connotation to my name[:D]  "Now maybe I'll get a Zip or a Zap in the future,"

Welcome aboard.

Zap

Fred98 -> RE: HA! I think this guy hit the nail on the head (6/5/2006 1:27:51 AM)

The game "in production' the longest has to be 82nd Airborne by Shrapnel Games.

Search on Google and discover the predicted release date is June 2000 [:)]

-

Neilster -> RE: HA! I think this guy hit the nail on the head (6/5/2006 10:47:28 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

The game "in production' the longest has to be 82nd Airborne by Shrapnel Games.

Search on Google and discover the predicted release date is June 2000 [:)]

-

Well I'm looking forward to "Road to Moscow" [:'(]
And I bought a PC in 1998 for World in Flames' imminent release [:D]

Cheers, Neilster

JeffroK -> RE: HA! I think this guy hit the nail on the head (6/5/2006 1:59:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jchastain

Option 1:  Matrix announces everything they are attempting.  Some of it does not come to fruition and they are accused of over-hyping, under-delivering, or even making bad promises.

Option 2:  Matrix holds back their announcements until they are reasonably certain they can deliver and they are accused of being secretive and hiding things from their customers.  Some will even accuse them of not announcing Game A in order to "trick" us into buying Game B without knowing a new product is forthcoming.

Ditto,

Rainbow7 -> RE: HA! I think this guy hit the nail on the head (6/5/2006 4:47:05 PM)

As for the original topic, why would new press releases automatically put older games 'on hold'?  For the most part, these are completely different development teams moving at their own pace.  I for one have no problem with new announcements.  Gives me something to read, and it's nice to see the main web page updated regularly.  O, and by the way, as of today only 1 of 10 press releases on that main page mentions a new game; most of the rest involve improvements to already fine games.

pvthudson01 -> RE: HA! I think this guy hit the nail on the head (6/6/2006 2:44:17 PM)

quote:

why are you such a tool. You rip the company, but have 1670 posts on their boards. So basically you are just a bored message board Troll?

Sarge -> RE: HA! I think this guy hit the nail on the head (6/7/2006 12:48:30 AM)

quote:

I'll give you a little example to go by. You can give your younger sister all the "fine" presents for christmas and her birthday, but, tell her you are going to take here to Six Flags or Disneyland/World and never do and find out how much trust she has in you afterwards. She'll never forget you broke your word and will easily forget what you gave her for all those christmases and birthdays. It's what you haven't done that you said you would she'll always harp on you for. ;)

[:D]

If I had a legitimate reason for the change of plans and she still had a bad attitude, thats what the real world calls a Immature selfish spoiled little girl that needs a reality check.

Voicing disappointment is one thing but to be vindictive is counterproductive .

carnifex -> RE: HA! I think this guy hit the nail on the head (6/9/2006 9:18:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: pvthudson01

quote:

why are you such a tool. You rip the company, but have 1670 posts on their boards. So basically you are just a bored message board Troll?

How about me? I have 689 posts. Am I allowed to critize Matrix? Or have I passed some mythical mark where each of my posts should be glowingly positive? Enlighten me how you determine who is a tool, please.

pauk -> RE: HA! I think this guy hit the nail on the head (6/11/2006 1:25:32 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

Me too[8|].

Neilster -> RE: HA! I think this guy hit the nail on the head (6/12/2006 7:50:49 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: pauk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

Me too[8|].

Err...don't hold your breath brother.

Cheers, Neilster

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI