RE: Bombing of Chinese HI, Res, Oil? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room

esteban -> RE: Bombing of Chinese HI, Res, Oil? (6/8/2006 9:54:44 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: esteban

There's a lot of "gaminess" in WiTP.

Are we going to prevent the PoW and Repulse from splitting for Ceylon or Java on turn 2?  Never would have happened in RL, but it happens every game.

Are we going to prevent mass evacuations of the Malaya army during bad weather at the start of the game?  Again, never would have happened in RL, but it does happen ingame

Are we going to redo the India supply deliveries so that an Allied player cannot just turtle in Karachi and Bombay with unlimited supply if the Japanese successfully invade India? 

Are we going to prevent the Allies from bombing every resource and oil center within range of their 4E bombers during the game?

Are we going to prevent the Allies from hiding their carriers on the West Coast or somewhere until late 1942?

If we aren't going to combat those kinds of "gaminess", then lets not combat Japanese-favoring gaminess.

First off - in many games, your complaints are not valid. Many Allied players feel compelled to use force Z in the early parts of the war as it was used. Many Allied players do not withdraw carriers to West Coast. Etc.

But, OK - if we are going to UNGAME the game:

- Reduce IJN shipping by 50% (to remove AKs APs that didn't exist put in for the AI).
- Put in requirements for supporting the Japanese Home Islands for civilian economy.
- Put in requirements for garissoning everything (by either side)
- Put in 1 year delay to switch over Japanese assembly lines as it historically happened.
- Remove ability for IJN to bombard more than once or twice per year to reflect actual IJN abilities (due to lack of ammo, gun tubes, doctrine, etc.)
- Remove ability to bombard areas that were actually far inland (either side).
- Double the size of the Chinese Army (actually had 240 or so division, not the 100 or so in the game, and of course remove ability of Japan to destroy all supplies by bombing.
- Put in actual SIGINT. The reason the Allied player keeps his carriers on the West Coast is because they have no idea where the KB will show up, unlike real life.
- Put radar in Allied search planes, and give them ability to actually attack at night without having a sub in the hex.
- Remove ability to train pilots up above 50 by bombing empty bases.
- Remove ability of Japan to outproduce Allies in aircraft.
- Put in all the ships that the Allies had that are not in the game (numerous!)

If this is done, i think Allied players would be more than happy to comply with the other "requests".

I agree with a lot of what you say here. But a few points.

The costs to the Allied player to support the populations of India, China, Australia or the U.S. are identical to those paid by the Japanese player.

In building new industry, the Japanese player does pay a manpower cost, and each manpower center does consume resources, and manpower centers cannot be "turned off" like factories or shipyards that you are not using. So it could be argued that the Japanese player does pay to keep his manpower up for industrial and civilian purposes.

By my count, the Chinese army at the start of the game contains about 80 corps and 15-20 individual divisions. Break that down and you get a number right around the 240 divisions you mentioned.

rtrapasso -> RE: Bombing of Chinese HI, Res, Oil? (6/8/2006 10:05:03 PM)

quote:

agree with a lot of what you say here. But a few points.

The costs to the Allied player to support the populations of India, China, Australia or the U.S. are identical to those paid by the Japanese player.

In building new industry, the Japanese player does pay a manpower cost, and each manpower center does consume resources, and manpower centers cannot be "turned off" like factories or shipyards that you are not using. So it could be argued that the Japanese player does pay to keep his manpower up for industrial and civilian purposes.

By my count, the Chinese army at the start of the game contains about 80 corps and 15-20 individual divisions. Break that down and you get a number right around the 240 divisions you mentioned.

As far as population costs - the amount of imports to any place should be what was historically needed - whether it is Allied or Axis. A LARGE chunk of Japanese shipping was used to support the civilian needs, not just the amount for manpower in the game. (iirc, it was something like 25-50% of shipping was needed, but i'd have to look up the numbers.)

As for the Chinese, the way their units are organized is different that other Allied units. Some one did an analysis of this and concluded about 1/2 of its army was missing in WITP, but perhaps they are wrong. i had gone on their conclusions, but have not done the analysis myself.

EDIT: i should add one more item: invading troops should not be able to use railroads as if they owned them (as happens in many games). There should be some mechanism to simulate need for rolling stock. Several solutions have been proposed, but none have been adopted for the game.

Nemo121 -> RE: Bombing of Chinese HI, Res, Oil? (6/8/2006 10:13:21 PM)

quote:

The real proof WITP has problems is that it makes the Japan conquers the map strategy appear viable and in fact most often successful

Can you provide one example in which a Japanese player has actually managed this? Note, CONUSA is a part of the map... I would consider it unconquerable.

All of the "Japan is too strong early on" stuff needs to be assessed with cognisance of the fact that the Allies will run riot for far longer later in the game in at least as unrealistic a manner. I am saddened that this objective reality is, all too often, left out of such discussions.

Halsey -> RE: Bombing of Chinese HI, Res, Oil? (6/9/2006 1:31:39 AM)

I've witnessed the "Empire Earth" strategy a couple of times.[;)]
Excluding the West Coast attack, which activates the US, as it should.
The other major powers, excluding China, should've had this rule hardcoded as well.

The entire eastern Pacific can be conquered in a month, with the bonus warp movement.
Usually players opt for the early India invasion, because they can take Karachi, and deny reinforcements from appearing. The Japanese usually bypass Burma in this gambit.
Usually only sending enough forces to threaten the area.

China can be a tough nut to crack if the Allied player keeps his wits.[;)]
With AB's map mod, China is even tougher.
Someone once stated.[;)]
Anyone can be a genius in ground combat with the standard map.
Four lane highways run to all places, all over this map.

With the setup of the campaign, it's a question of speed. For both sides.
Early on, the Japanese can easily take all of their historical objectives.
Then can rapidly consume anything it wishes till around 1/43.
The tide then reverses, and the Allied player gets to do the same in return.

Hoplosternum -> RE: Bombing of Chinese HI, Res, Oil? (6/9/2006 4:57:12 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nemo121

quote:

The real proof WITP has problems is that it makes the Japan conquers the map strategy appear viable and in fact most often successful

Can you provide one example in which a Japanese player has actually managed this? Note, CONUSA is a part of the map... I would consider it unconquerable.

All of the "Japan is too strong early on" stuff needs to be assessed with cognisance of the fact that the Allies will run riot for far longer later in the game in at least as unrealistic a manner. I am saddened that this objective reality is, all too often, left out of such discussions.

Nemo these sort of statements make the historical crowd mad [:D]

They don't want either side to have unhistoric abilities. I dare say that the game does not reflect the historic problems (logistic, political as well as military) the allies faced from '43 onwards and hence a competent allied player probably can go much quicker than his historical counterparts managed. When more games advance in to this period then I expect there will be calls to limit this. Maybe some late war house rules or code changes will be demanded. The focus is obviously on the Japanese early war superiority as that is what is seen by most players. But it is historic capabilities that are wanted. Few of the historic capability players like the early mass 4E abilities and numbers.

I would also point out that the "Japan is too strong early on" argument works on another level too. It makes for a dull game. If the allies cannot resist the Japanese then this encourages a Sir Robin type defence that is dull for both sides. It also really kills the game for a more cautious Japanese player. If the Japanese player is NOT trying to conquer China, India and Oz he may not see much meaningful action until '43 when the Essexs, Jeep Carriers, Corsairs and Lightnings are likely to sweep away the Japanese in short order.

I think most of us when we started out playing WitP imagined fighting Guadalcanal type battles and Midway type ambushes with traps within traps. Just seeing if we could do them better [:)] While the "Japan is too strong early on" phenomena is not the only reason this does not occur, it is a large part of it. A game where one side beats up the other for a long time with no reply then the rolls are reversed may work in a short game but not for one that lasts as long as this.

pauk -> RE: Bombing of Chinese HI, Res, Oil? (6/9/2006 5:07:47 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: esteban

There's a lot of "gaminess" in WiTP.

Are we going to prevent the PoW and Repulse from splitting for Ceylon or Java on turn 2?  Never would have happened in RL, but it happens every game.

Are we going to prevent mass evacuations of the Malaya army during bad weather at the start of the game?  Again, never would have happened in RL, but it does happen ingame

Are we going to redo the India supply deliveries so that an Allied player cannot just turtle in Karachi and Bombay with unlimited supply if the Japanese successfully invade India? 

Are we going to prevent the Allies from bombing every resource and oil center within range of their 4E bombers during the game?

Are we going to prevent the Allies from hiding their carriers on the West Coast or somewhere until late 1942?

If we aren't going to combat those kinds of "gaminess", then lets not combat Japanese-favoring gaminess.

First off - in many games, your complaints are not valid. Many Allied players feel compelled to use force Z in the early parts of the war as it was used. Many Allied players do not withdraw carriers to West Coast. Etc.

But, OK - if we are going to UNGAME the game:

- Reduce IJN shipping by 50% (to remove AKs APs that didn't exist put in for the AI).
- Put in requirements for supporting the Japanese Home Islands for civilian economy.
- Put in requirements for garissoning everything (by either side)
- Put in 1 year delay to switch over Japanese assembly lines as it historically happened.
- Remove ability for IJN to bombard more than once or twice per year to reflect actual IJN abilities (due to lack of ammo, gun tubes, doctrine, etc.)
- Remove ability to bombard areas that were actually far inland (either side).
- Double the size of the Chinese Army (actually had 240 or so division, not the 100 or so in the game, and of course remove ability of Japan to destroy all supplies by bombing.
- Put in actual SIGINT. The reason the Allied player keeps his carriers on the West Coast is because they have no idea where the KB will show up, unlike real life.
- Put radar in Allied search planes, and give them ability to actually attack at night without having a sub in the hex.
- Put in all the ships that the Allies had that are not in the game (numerous!)

If this is done, i think Allied players would be more than happy to comply with the other "requests".

oh, yeah, and the game would be over in early 1943....

if someone make such mod i would play it to prove this. I will be Allied player, of course. Any takers (for the third time?)
[:'(]

jumper -> RE: Bombing of Chinese HI, Res, Oil? (6/9/2006 5:22:11 PM)

Hi Pauk,
I doubt you will find any..[:)]
masochism fans probably arenīt visiting this forum [:D][:D][:D][:'(]
above conditions suppose a sick-brain on jap side[;)]

Nikademus -> RE: Bombing of Chinese HI, Res, Oil? (6/9/2006 5:27:47 PM)

Nice post H.

marovici -> RE: Bombing of Chinese HI, Res, Oil? (6/9/2006 8:35:18 PM)

I have read that Allies-Japan balance of force changes later, but I have rarely seen it play out in the AARs.  Usually it is a Japaneses player that goes invades everything, everywhere, India, China, Australia, Russia, Moon and then suddenly that AAR disapears (granted PzB is still going on, and maybe another one or two).  So if we do not get to see the kick me now, kick you later super strong and super nice allies, perhaps we could have less fantasy with Japan and statements "yes but allies are very strong later on".

Nemo121 -> RE: Bombing of Chinese HI, Res, Oil? (6/9/2006 9:48:51 PM)

Hoplosternum,

I agree with you. My point with respect to the "japan is too strong" argument we often see is that those espousing it VERY rarely espouse the same self-evidently obvious truth when it applies to the Allies.

If you look back at some older posts of mine I've always said that I believed the game mechanics made the impossible possible for both sides at different times and that those who argued for the curbing of one side's advantage at one time without arguing for curbing of the other side's advantages at other times were doing the game a disservice.

Limit everything for everyone at all times to what was historically POSSIBLE ( and not what was actually done) and I'll support that effort fully. Those who argue for this have my full support but the argument for realistic limits on the capabilities of BOTH sides is rarely ever made by anyone on this forum. Instead allied players argue to nerf the Japanese and Japanese players argue to nerf the Allies. That's no way to improve the game, skew the game entirely to the advantage of the side you are playing? Sure. Improve it? Hell no.

As to my question re: conquering the total map. I think you picked it up wrong... it was intended to show that hyperbole is not a useful contribution to a discussion. Mogami stated that the Japanese "conquer the map strategy" is most often succesful... I asked the question to highlight that, as far as I am aware, there is NO example of the entire map being conquered by the Japanese player and, therefore, so long as CONUSA remains American the Allies will, almost invariably, win in any game which doesn't end with japanese autovictory on 1st January 1943 or 1st Jamuary 1944.  I thought about using the word hyperbole in my original post to make my intention clear but I decided to ommit it in order to avoid being inflammatory.

So, my twin points in this discussion were:
1. Unfounded hyperbolic assertion is often used as a substitute for objective analysis on this forum and is no substitute for it.

2. IMO ( and it is only my opinion) anyone who argues for modifying one side's "advantages" but not the others should be viewed as an extremely suspect source for said changes. Divorce emotion from the discussion of what should and shouldn't be changed and, instead, analyse what is, compare it to what was ( AND what could have been... the difference between intentions and capabilities ) and then argue for the changes required to make what is conform more closely to what could have been for BOTH SIDES AT ALL TIMES.

That's what I've always argued for. I couldn't care less about "winning" or "losing". It is about playing skillfully and if one can do that then satisfaction will follow irrespective of whether some game mechanic adjudges one to have "won" or "lost".

I think it is interesting that even during this discussion people have chosen to interpret my post as being "japanese whining" instead of an attempt to point out that when people ask for one side's capabilities to be reduced they almost never ask for the other side's capabilities to also be reduced. In short, bias.

rtrapasso -> RE: Bombing of Chinese HI, Res, Oil? (6/9/2006 10:22:11 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jumper

Hi Pauk,
I doubt you will find any..[:)]
masochism fans probably arenīt visiting this forum [:D][:D][:D][:'(]
above conditions suppose a sick-brain on jap side[;)]

If such a mod was made (and it can not be made, since it requires extensive recoding and would be an entirely different game) - it would also require vastly different victory conditions.

You could have time specific conditions: i.e. - capturing objective X before such and such a date gets you Y victory points. This way, you would be judged by historical comparisons.

Actually, the more i look at this game, the more i doubt it is possible to have a historically accurate simulation that is also fun, just based on the nature of the beast. There was a fairly narrow period of time where the forces were balanced. Before or after that period it was a pain for one side or the other.

Maybe the suggestion that you play two simultaneous games - one as Allies, one as Japan and compare point totals would work - but that would mean twice as much time to devote the game than we currently use (at least if you are playing one game at a time...)

rtrapasso -> RE: Bombing of Chinese HI, Res, Oil? (6/9/2006 10:54:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: pauk

if someone make such mod i would play it to prove this. I will be Allied player, of course. Any takers (for the third time?)

You are saying - what? That if the game only allowed historically available options, that Japan would be conquered by early 1943? [&:]

Nemo121 -> RE: Bombing of Chinese HI, Res, Oil? (6/10/2006 4:48:05 AM)

No, what he is saying that the list above is a list of changes completely biased in favour of maximising Allied capabilities and minimising Japanese capabilities and as such would result in a game Japan loses in 43.

If this were a call for unbiased changes then in the same breath as calling for changes to radar in Allied search planes I would imagine the player would have called for changes to Japanese radar modelling ( database has broken said radars). I couldn't care less what changes benefit either side so long as the capabilities of BOTH sides move closer to historical reality but this ceaseless barrage of calls for biased changes ( by both sides of the argument) will tend to lead to less realistic modelling of relative capabilties than currently exists.

Again, people seem to progress blithely unaware that the calls they are calling for are not applied as per logic to both sides but just tend to favour the side they prefer to play. Of course pointing these things out on this forum seems to be have the same effect as it had for Pandora.

rtrapasso -> RE: Bombing of Chinese HI, Res, Oil? (6/10/2006 6:25:25 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nemo121

No, what he is saying that the list above is a list of changes completely biased in favour of maximising Allied capabilities and minimising Japanese capabilities and as such would result in a game Japan loses in 43.

If this were a call for unbiased changes then in the same breath as calling for changes to radar in Allied search planes I would imagine the player would have called for changes to Japanese radar modelling ( database has broken said radars). I couldn't care less what changes benefit either side so long as the capabilities of BOTH sides move closer to historical reality but this ceaseless barrage of calls for biased changes ( by both sides of the argument) will tend to lead to less realistic modelling of relative capabilties than currently exists.

Again, people seem to progress blithely unaware that the calls they are calling for are not applied as per logic to both sides but just tend to favour the side they prefer to play. Of course pointing these things out on this forum seems to be have the same effect as it had for Pandora.

That is NOT what was said at all. Reread the post.

The list presented included the list of demands for removing Allied advantages. This included:

quote:

... to prevent the PoW and Repulse from splitting for Ceylon or Java on turn 2

... prevent mass evacuations of the Malaya army during bad weather at the start of the game

... redo the India supply deliveries so that an Allied player cannot just turtle in Karachi and Bombay with unlimited supply if the Japanese successfully invade India

... prevent the Allies from bombing every resource and oil center within range of their 4E bombers during the game

.. prevent the Allies from hiding their carriers on the West Coast or somewhere until late 1942

As i said, the point of these changes is for the game to allow historically available options. How is that
favoring one side or another, unless, of course, you WANT to bias the game in a particular way???

AFAIK, the radar problem has been addressed in some of the mods (CHS?), as are SOME of the missing ships (but there are not enough slots in the game to allow completely addressing that problem - this would require extensive game code modification, not just a mod);

i am speaking of putting in conditions that would accurately (as possible) model actual historical conditions - including 500 kg bombs for the Japanese (and limited to historical availabilty), radar for both sides as historically present, whatever planes, ships, guns, tanks or other weapons which were historically available in whatever amounts were historically available. This of course is a very tall order.

So where is the bias of making a historically accurate model?

I would ask "What other problems should be addressed?" however, that is opening a huge can of worms that has been argued a zillion times on this forum already.

Nemo121 -> RE: Bombing of Chinese HI, Res, Oil? (6/10/2006 6:52:04 AM)

There is no bias in making a historically accurate model, however, none of the posts above addresses anything close to all of the things which need to be addressed in order to correct the flaws which favour and hinder the two sides unrealistically.  Fair enough one can't address all those issues in any single post but I amn't attempting to point to a single post and say "this is biased" or not... I'm pointing to a general mode of discourse and argument going on here. So, general points not specific.

I think you may have misread who I meant "he" to be. I was using it to refer to Pauk.

Sneer -> RE: Bombing of Chinese HI, Res, Oil? (6/10/2006 11:24:33 AM)

i have experiance from mod Iron storm 2 made by Alikchi
with improved fighting capabilities of allied side - in terms of land units on malaya and airgroups based there
i found myself stalled after few initial weeks and my forecast was to see end of Japan somewhere within 43 as since the beginning there was attrition fight and no decisive advantage from agressor sid and niumber of supplies and eqyipment was lower
some of you try to discuss such game change to take Japan early advantage off - it is wrong

Andy Mac -> RE: Bombing of Chinese HI, Res, Oil? (6/10/2006 11:42:22 AM)

Aye IS is a little overpowering for allies.

OK my take on this.

Dont get to hung up on the Japanese ned to support the civilian economy lets not forget theCW requirement to support India which had a major famine that needed to be supplied. CW transport fleet is far to flexible and available for amphib ops. So I dont get to excited on this one.

Force Z I never waste it but nor am I afraid to use it. I typically keep em around until Japanese have whole DEI covered by Bettiesor they are at 30% sys

Evaccing Singapore to stand in Java is not a bad tactic. Evaccing Singapore to run to India is a bad mistake for the allies.

4E if the allied player uses restraint it shouldnt be an issue (i.e phase out LB30's as soon as B24D's available, Forts used for LR naval search, no 64 BG in 4E etc.)

pauk -> RE: Bombing of Chinese HI, Res, Oil? (6/10/2006 12:28:22 PM)

quote:

quote:

You are saying - what? That if the game only allowed historically available options, that Japan would be conquered by early 1943? [&:]

I'm saying that limiting Japs to the historical options, while leaving Allied untouched would ensure Allied victory in the 1943. That is not mean that Japan would be conquered by 1943 - that would mean that Japan capability to defend would be, with your propositions, totaly wrecked. And the game would be lost.

How? i don't have time and good will to analyze all your inputs/whished changes but i will discuss about few:

Ok, here what would be happend with China (i'm playing the Allies)

- sending 15-20 divisions to guard Burma road - you have to agree that, in that case, is impossible to take Mandalay.
- after a few months in the game i would threat Rangoon and not sure what Japan could do about that.
- send all transports to supply Burma. Even a bombers will done fine job - so how many supply i could transport to China daily? 500, 1000 or 2000?
- meanwhile, i would rescued BF fragments from PI.... after a few months i would be able to send more than enough air support to China....by that time my bombers (i didn't notice that you are against infamous training bomber with supply missions, only for fighters[;)], which, interstingly limits only Japs (i'm for changes too) have more than decent exp...

and whoohohohohoho... air campaign in the China can start. Hey, it will be fun, i can promise you.... 200, 300, 500 bombers would totally destroy Japanese ability to defend, even HI can be attacked...

Lets say that Japanese player decide to defend in China.... ok, he assign 300, 400 fighters but sooner or latter he will lost them.... and their replacements in 20-30 exp can not do anything...

So, i've destroyed Japs in China, I'm holding Mandalay, and Japanese AF is destroyed in late 1942. My carriers enters the game... game over.

YOu don't believe me? Let's try it. I'm the Allies.

pauk -> RE: Bombing of Chinese HI, Res, Oil? (6/10/2006 12:30:20 PM)

quote:

That is NOT what was said at all. Reread the post.

Yes, that is exactly what i've said.

EDIT: i should read all posts first!

jeffs -> RE: Bombing of Chinese HI, Res, Oil? (6/10/2006 12:46:03 PM)

I think several points to be made...

I agree with this arguement whole-heartedly.
>The focus is obviously on the Japanese early war superiority as that is what is seen by most players. But it is historic capabilities that are wanted. Few of the historic capability players like the early mass 4E abilities and numbers.

US did not have the mass of 4E until much later...What it did have was masses of 2E LBA which were devastating..But at the same time had distance issues.
Though playing Nikmod certainly seems to make production more realistic (I get 16 B-17s and 5 LB-30s in the early going, so I will not be massing 4E for quite some time)..I agree, an IJN attack getting snuffed by 200 B-17s in Mar, 42 is bogus.

There is also a point to be made that only for a short period was there real balance (and that is what made UV so good as it hit the sweet spot). So if the game is realistic, the Japan rocks for 6 months to a year, then a year of parity and then allied dominance.  Clearly, as we all have to go through 1942, we all know where the system is gamed to help the Japanese visa vie historical results....What is not so clear is where the game overstates allied capabilities..Whether that is due to Japan fanboys whining (no, the war was not a 50-50 gamble by Japan, more like a 10%-90%) or real issues (too many 4Es? too flexible doctrine on 4E) probably needs more study. One must remember that once we get to 1944 Japan basically could do nothing but use bases to hopefully attrit away Marine strength and kamikazes to attrit the navy...Basically the US was so dominant that is potentially all they could do. So whining that the US just romps in 1944 while rather unpleasant and boring was rather true...And while Japan can romp for a while in 1942 it was vulnerable and in the game it does seem less vulnerable..

That said, some things need to be redone to get it more realistic (plane production numbers...Go nikmod.).

Also affecting the outcome is how flexible an open is allowed. For example, in Nemo`s game (and I am not criticizing it, just pointing its effect on game probabilities) where there was a totally wide open almost anything goes open, the Japanese now have a huge opening to do make new strategic initiatives (and Nemo has shown that with a vengenance)...The question of whether or not to permit should remain between the two gamers. How open a first move clearly effects the probabilities and also first year stategy (I am a semi-newbie, with games with historical openings...In that spirit, i am keeping Dutch troops and Malaya troops there as long as possible (I am withdrawing some base/engineering units from PI and malaya) and most if not all will die there...That said in an ahistorical open I just might spend more time running.....Certainly would be much more defensive in Cent Pac)...

I think if the game is balanced right and one plays with a historical opening, the Japanese, on average, should do slightly better than historical on average..Bascially some really stupid mistakes could be corrected. Also Japan knows intel is being scooped.
A. Chance of a Midway much lower..You know your intel is being snooped..Maybe you go for Midway but you are going with a CS.
But with that, the realization that often you do not have the element of surprise.
B. The biggest might be ASW...Instead of the inept small convoys Japan had, a real convoy system with air cover from early on....That should be huge.
C. Unlike the Japanese high command, you are not gunning for the 1 shot mega-battle. This is a war of attrition and must be fought as such. Many think yamamoto hesitated to amass ships during the Guadalcanal fight for exactly this reason.
D. A better realization that the US will rock later on so probably even more vicious defenses in the Gilberts, Marshalls and Carolines..Once they get to the
Marianas it is B-29 hell.

Sneer -> RE: Bombing of Chinese HI, Res, Oil? (6/10/2006 12:54:51 PM)

this game keeps it own balance even not 100% historically correct
but with any changes made to stall Jap advance I see Pauk's vision too and I will start playing allies - not that fun but no frustration too

Andy Mac -> RE: Bombing of Chinese HI, Res, Oil? (6/10/2006 1:34:41 PM)

I just wish they made it so 4E bombers operating from China needs lvl 7 AF to even fly or 4 x normal supplies or summit that take Japanese worries about the theatre out of the picture.

As an Allied player I dont want to play in China so I would happily ban all USAAF and RAF bombers out of China just to allow me to concentrate on the other theatres. (My personal favourite is actually SEAC and the battle for Burma although the game I took over against PZB is opening my eyes to the possibility of the other theatres)

mogami -> RE: Bombing of Chinese HI, Res, Oil? (6/10/2006 1:52:15 PM)

Hi, In order to fly normal range missions with normal bomb loads with all ready AC flying a Chinese airfield already needs to be a size 5 for B-17 and a size 7 for B-29 and have an air HQ assigned to the same HQ the airgroups are assigned to within range and level bombers require 2x required supply to fly offensive missions.

The number of bombers that can fly out of China is limited compared to flying out of Siapan/Tinian. The major difference here is Saipan/Tinian is extended range (they can't even fly city attack over Home Island unless airfields are proper size) while in China they can fly normal range with extended range loads and op loss and fatigue from undersize airfields. (They still must have 2x supply)

Saipan with no LCU other then support airfield not overloaded but with full numbers of B-29 is in the red supply wise when it has 200,000 present. (B-29 missions really eat a lot of supply)

BrucePowers -> RE: Bombing of Chinese HI, Res, Oil? (6/10/2006 2:00:41 PM)

I personally like the historical opening. I can see making some changes to it (such as KB to Phillipines then a lot of shipping dies player choice). I have decided to learn this game as Allies. I have several carriers at the start of the game. I will not hide them in Pearl or the west coast. First what's the fun in that. Second there is no way the citizenry would put up with it.
The game does need to be playable and fun for all players. House rules and the various mods out there allow us to make most (not all) of the changes needed to play an enjoyable game. All of that being said I think President Lincoln said it best, " You can't please all of the people all of the time".

I also like these discussions. I find them informitive and fun. Debate is good for the mind.

rtrapasso -> RE: Bombing of Chinese HI, Res, Oil? (6/10/2006 5:14:06 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm saying that limiting Japs to the historical options, while leaving Allied untouched would ensure Allied victory in the 1943. That is not mean that Japan would be conquered by 1943 - that would mean that Japan capability to defend would be, with your propositions, totaly wrecked. And the game would be lost.

How? i don't have time and good will to analyze all your inputs/whished changes but i will discuss about few:

Ok, here what would be happend with China (i'm playing the Allies)

- sending 15-20 divisions to guard Burma road - you have to agree that, in that case, is impossible to take Mandalay.
- after a few months in the game i would threat Rangoon and not sure what Japan could do about that.
- send all transports to supply Burma. Even a bombers will done fine job - so how many supply i could transport to China daily? 500, 1000 or 2000?
- meanwhile, i would rescued BF fragments from PI.... after a few months i would be able to send more than enough air support to China....by that time my bombers (i didn't notice that you are against infamous training bomber with supply missions, only for fighters[;)], which, interstingly limits only Japs (i'm for changes too) have more than decent exp...

and whoohohohohoho... air campaign in the China can start. Hey, it will be fun, i can promise you.... 200, 300, 500 bombers would totally destroy Japanese ability to defend, even HI can be attacked...

Lets say that Japanese player decide to defend in China.... ok, he assign 300, 400 fighters but sooner or latter he will lost them.... and their replacements in 20-30 exp can not do anything...

So, i've destroyed Japs in China, I'm holding Mandalay, and Japanese AF is destroyed in late 1942. My carriers enters the game... game over.

YOu don't believe me? Let's try it. I'm the Allies.

Again - this would give the ALLIES abilities that they did not have: i.e. the Chinese did not really have the ability to move large formations around. So just doubling the size wouldn't fix it - you would have to limit Chinese mobility in some way. i am shooting for a "historical abilities" model. And the proposal was not to just limit ahistorical Japanese play, but to limit BOTH the Allies and Japanese ahistorical options.

As the game stands now, yes, doubling the size of the Chinese Army would give the ALLIES an advantage, but what i (and at least a few others) would like is to have the game respect historical realities. You can't really do that in WITP as it is now, i think. Possibly some minor code mods could be done to fix the problem, but i doubt it.

This would require a different game engine - one where the logistics model (and relative lack of Chinese logistics) is reflected, so that although they have a big army, they can't really move it around.

One possible "easy" fix is to have penalties for not carrying out historical missions. In the case of the PoW and Repulse: they were there to prevent Japanese invasions, so if the Allied players boogies with Force Z and doesn't oppose the IJN, perhaps there should be a VP and PP penalty. Of course, i'm betting people would also figure out a way to get around this... [:'(]

Halsey -> RE: Bombing of Chinese HI, Res, Oil? (6/10/2006 5:44:09 PM)

When it comes to rule interpretations, I have to go with what the game designers stated.
The strategic facilities were meant to bolster the weak supply AI for China, and were not intended to be legitimate targets
This was their intention, so I have to go with it.[;)]

In future mods the Chinese LCU's that aren't included in the original package should be made static, if the Chinese Army is to be truly represented.
With the current patch, these units will only become non-static if they are forced to retreat.
So it would be up to the Japanese to decide if these units would become active ground armies by attacking their position and defeating them.
Until that happens, these units remain static and defensive in nature.

Only a defeat of these units by the Japanese, would free these units up for offensive operations.

mogami -> RE: Bombing of Chinese HI, Res, Oil? (6/10/2006 6:13:46 PM)

Hi, The Japamese were also unable to mass large numbers of troops (compared to WITP)
In June 1944  the Japanese deployed 360,000 troops (not including air or sea support) to invade Changsha for the fourth time (the first being in 1939). The Operation involved more Japanese troops than any other campaign in the Sino-Japanese war. (more Japanese then in any Operation of Pacific War as well)

The Chinese meanwhile massed over 500,000 troops and ambushed a Japanese Operation in the north almost completly wiping it out.  That was 500,000 Chinese on the outer fringes of Allied supply conducting a successfull offensive Operation.

After 1937 the Japanese were always outnumbered in battles in China. They managed to win battles along the coast due to IJN support. After 1940 they failed in attempts in interiour before the great mass attack of 1944. In the Sept 1941 Changsha battles there were over 400,000 Chinese defending. (They moved in from outside provinces and surrounded the Japanese nealy wiping out the Dash Forward Parachute Div and several Infantry Div and Bde before the Japanese broke out of the pocket and retreated.

No one is suggesting the Japanese may not bomb Chinese supply. Only that they are doing it in a unintended manner. Bomb the airfields and you destroy supply.

BrucePowers -> RE: Bombing of Chinese HI, Res, Oil? (6/10/2006 8:23:54 PM)

I like what Halsey and Mogami said. It makes sense to me.

jeffs -> RE: Bombing of Chinese HI, Res, Oil? (6/12/2006 12:09:57 AM)

I think China as a whole is virtually impossible to make realistic. Much of it is due to politics...

A. For a variety of reasons (much of it the previous losses) the IJN was not interested in conquering China. The Ichigo offensive was in response to US strategic bombing from China. So if one wants to recreate that historically I guess you start with a ceasefire that is ended by Chinese allowing US LBA bombing.

B. For many Chinese units the supply issue was not a general supply issue. The supply existed. However, Chang Kai Shek would not send it to a warlord/general he thought not loyal enough.

C. Massive corruption in the Chinese army often lead to some very pervous situations..If a recruit died, the unit commander would still get his rations/pay. So many commanders were not sad to see many recruits starve to death.

D. In regards to C, the US, in late 1944 (reacting to Ichigo) directly handled outfitting (and feeding) something like 36 divisions. So the physical ability of these troops was much better. If I remember correctly they did fairly well against Japan in 1945.

E. Chinese generals were often (not always) more interested in protecting their properties/priveledges than fighting (when you are a general and can be relieved you fight, if you are a warlord and survive by having an army of thugs putting up the good fight can lead to your loss of thugs). Where the Chinese faught seriously. For example (quoting Spector`s Eagle vs Sun) "At Changsha, the Chinese 4th army abandoned the city without a fight.....Heng Yang was a different story. There, determined troop under Major General Fong Hsien-Chueh, skillfully supported by Chennault`s flyers, held the Japanese at bay for over six weeks."

F. The effectiveness of the communist armies is probably underrated (at least compared to the other Chinese units.

G. This probably much better under CHS, but Ichigo was stopped for 2 reasons.
1. Objectives (stopping US strategic bombing) had been accomplished.
2. Supply lines were stretched and it was winter..The IJA had no interest in learning how to be nailed like the Germans at Moscow...

I guess what I am saying is China was such a can of contradiction. The Japanese army took very nasty losses in the late 30s.....Yet in 1944 did very well...That said, in 1944 they destroyed very little of the Chinese armies (because they ran away...That said, they were not destroyed...And by 1945, the Chinese armies were becoming more effective (I think the commies took Nanning....)....

So what is my point? Not sure myself other than taking over all of China should not be Japan`s game given right....And in the stock game it does seem way too easy. Add that HI destruction to destroy supply and it seems a bit too bogus.

That said it would be possible to believe that it should be possible..Just that it would be very bloody, very time consuming and also should have guerillas.

BrucePowers -> RE: Bombing of Chinese HI, Res, Oil? (6/12/2006 12:55:27 AM)

I have always found China to be confusing (in a WitP sense). It will probably be the last part of this game I will figure out. But that is okay, I plan on playing this game for quite a while.

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI