Mac version?? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III

Quetzalquoitl -> Mac version?? (6/4/2006 12:04:18 PM)

Hi guys,

I'm absolutely new to TOAW so beware of a few "newbie" questions in the days to come... ;)

here's a first:

Will TOAW III be available for mac??? or would it run with virtual pc or similar programs???

thanks in advance,

Arno

DanNeely -> RE: Mac version?? (6/4/2006 5:09:38 PM)

Porting to a mac would require completely rewriting the graphical code because macs use a different set of commands to tell the operating system what to draw on the screen. Unless Ralph decides to use a cross platform library to rewrite toaw's graphics (other stuff would need changed too, but that's the biggie) there almost certainly will not be a mach version because the mac userbase is simply too small to justfiy the port.

In the meantime some sort of emulation is going to be your only option. Since OSX is based on BSD there's probably a wine build available for it, and emulating the AP calls will have a much lower overhead penalty than emulating the entire processor, et al in software.

ralphtricky -> RE: Mac version?? (6/4/2006 6:56:47 PM)

It doesn't require a CD to run, and works on machines as old as WIndows 98. I'd expect it to be able to run under an emulator on a Mac or Unix system with no problem.

Ralph

jascou -> RE: Mac version?? (7/13/2006 7:52:08 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ralphtrick

It doesn't require a CD to run, and works on machines as old as WIndows 98. I'd expect it to be able to run under an emulator on a Mac or Unix system with no problem.

Ralph

This is true[;)]...I installed TOAWIII on my linux system using Crossover Office 5.0 (http://www.codeweavers.com/) --- which uses the WINE API for running Windows software on Linux/Unix systems ---
the game installs & runs fine; scrolling is slightly slower than in Windows, but it's definitely playable and I imagine this will improve in the near future as better DirectX compatability is furiously being worked on by the WINE community at present. Overall, I'm impressed.

This is of interest to Mac users as Crossover Office is currently being ported to Mac (at least, for the Mactel anyway). Apparently there's an alpha version available for testing.

In the past, I've had success running Matrix games in WINE/Crossover Office (i.e. SPWAW, Flashpoint Germany).

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI