Hitting Streaks (and other stuff) (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball

Cringer -> Hitting Streaks (and other stuff) (6/5/2006 10:01:50 PM)

One of the things I would like to see is a record of hitting streaks. If there is one kept in the game then could someone point it out to me because I do not see it.

Obviously there is the PSPN Report which shows you the active hitting streaks, but I would like to see in the Almanac or somewhere else the top 10 hitting streaks (or top 5) of all time for the league.

Am I missing this?

If not, I want to throw it out there as a suggestion for a patch or next version.....

edit: Just wanted to add a couple of other things that would make this game even better. Maybe they have been brought up, maybe not.....

1. I would like the option for a squeeze bunt when a runner is on third with 0 or 1 out. I don't think I have seen that option ever come up and I watch for it.

2. VORP is a stat I would like to see added. Historical splits for players is another. Having the splits added was great, showing spilts for a guy's career would put it over the top for me.

Cringer -> RE: Hitting Streaks (and other stuff) (6/5/2006 10:17:39 PM)

oh, one more thing.... [:)]

In the Milestones section of a Player Page, exactly what Milestones are kept there? I get the impression they are somewhat generic ones, like 1st No hitter, 3000 Ks, 300 wins for a pitcher. Stuff like that. SOmething that would be cool to see added would be whenever a guy breaks a current record. Seems like that is worthy or a Milestone label. Example: 1934 Set new single season record for steals (68).

Something like that.

Amaroq -> RE: Hitting Streaks (and other stuff) (6/6/2006 12:44:12 AM)

Hey, I love the amount of ideas you've got - keep 'em coming, I know Shaun occasionally draws inspiration from the creativity of the fans!

In response to your specific ideas -

Top hitting streaks for the league / team: That would be excellent. I'd suggested adding it in the 'Milestones' section of the player card; I like it as a record, too. While it sounds like a low-impact change, I'd imagine the implementation could be difficult - we don't want to have to check 'what active streaks ended' after each game, as that would be computationally expensive. So, it would be technically challenging to do either idea.

Squeeze bunt: hasn't been implemented. I do want to be able to 'bunt for a hit' with a man on, and run both the 'safety squeeze' and 'suicide squeeze' plays - but they aren't as high on my list as some of the other things which we've gotten recently (pitch outs, updated injury model, etc.)

VORP: Not a stat I've been using IRL, but it should be pretty easy to add something which gets calculated only on that specific statistics screen.

Historical splits: I don't think Lahman includes splits information, so we couldn't get this in the 'Historical' section. If you meant in the 'Career' section, e.g., his PureSim career, I think that is do-able, but I think everything you add there increases the saved-game size. Maybe it could go in the Almanac player card?

Milestones: I'd love to see that area brought to life (big league debut, 1st hit, 1st home run, 1st win, 1st complete game, 1st shutout, 'hit for the cycle'... 'perfect game'...).. and your idea (records set) would be a great one in adding that sense of life. However, the initial season or three see a *lot* of single-season records set, and its not until people start retiring that you have career records worth mentioning. Also, two guys posting similar data each season might break each other's all-time career record ten times each season, depending on who went on a little tear. So, I suspect you'd want to 'cap' it, so, say, single-season records don't get mentioned until after the fourth season, and career records don't get mentioned until your retirement - or when you break a record currently held by a retired player.

tbear2b -> RE: Hitting Streaks (and other stuff) (6/6/2006 3:21:45 AM)

I like a lot of these ideas too and will basically second Amaroq.

I manage most of the games I play, but I am a really big stats geek, so the more stats, like career splits and VORP, that we can have, the happier I am!

Cringer -> RE: Hitting Streaks (and other stuff) (6/6/2006 3:38:21 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Amaroq

Hey, I love the amount of ideas you've got - keep 'em coming, I know Shaun occasionally draws inspiration from the creativity of the fans!

In response to your specific ideas -

Top hitting streaks for the league / team: That would be excellent. I'd suggested adding it in the 'Milestones' section of the player card; I like it as a record, too. While it sounds like a low-impact change, I'd imagine the implementation could be difficult - we don't want to have to check 'what active streaks ended' after each game, as that would be computationally expensive. So, it would be technically challenging to do either idea.

Well I figure the game is already keeping track of hitting streaks because they show up in the PSPN Report, so it must notice when they end right? I don't even ask for then to be listed for each player, I just want the league record and a few more behind that. Top 5 or 10.

quote:

Historical splits: I don't think Lahman includes splits information, so we couldn't get this in the 'Historical' section. If you meant in the 'Career' section, e.g., his PureSim career, I think that is do-able, but I think everything you add there increases the saved-game size. Maybe it could go in the Almanac player card?

Correct, I used historical in the sense of the league's/players history....or career.

quote:

Milestones: I'd love to see that area brought to life (big league debut, 1st hit, 1st home run, 1st win, 1st complete game, 1st shutout, 'hit for the cycle'... 'perfect game'...).. and your idea (records set) would be a great one in adding that sense of life. However, the initial season or three see a *lot* of single-season records set, and its not until people start retiring that you have career records worth mentioning. Also, two guys posting similar data each season might break each other's all-time career record ten times each season, depending on who went on a little tear. So, I suspect you'd want to 'cap' it, so, say, single-season records don't get mentioned until after the fourth season, and career records don't get mentioned until your retirement - or when you break a record currently held by a retired player.

Yeah, the early years of a game would end up having a bunch of guys with broken record Milestones listed for them, but it's something I could live with. It is just one of those things I have come to expect with text sims....the game has to begin at some point in time and that means you will get some things like this.

motnahp -> RE: Hitting Streaks (and other stuff) (6/6/2006 7:43:17 AM)

I'm all in favor of those ideas.  I would love the option for Autoplay to stop and notify me of a 25-game hitting streak, or if a single-season or career record is tied.

PadresFan104 -> RE: Hitting Streaks (and other stuff) (6/6/2006 8:13:30 AM)

Great ideas... love em all.

Amaroq -> RE: Hitting Streaks (and other stuff) (6/6/2006 8:54:10 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cringer
I figure the game is already keeping track of hitting streaks because they show up in the PSPN Report, so it must notice when they end right? I don't even ask for then to be listed for each player, I just want the league record and a few more behind that. Top 5 or 10.

Not necessarily.

A 'computationally cheap' way of determining 'active hitting streaks' for the PSPN issue would be to cycle through each player, look at his last games, and determine who has a current hitting streak going. (what's that, 20 times per season * number of players?)

Actually knowing precisely the duration of each hitting streak, and being able to update the 'notable achievements' section of a player card, or the 'records' section of the record book - that would require looking back over his last games at the end of every games (162 times per season * number of players).

Maybe that's not that bad, actually, especially if I drop off the 'pitchers', and limit it to 'players who played', maybe an average of 13 per team, so (162 * num_teams * 13), while the other might have to be (20 * num_teams * 15).. a little less than 8 times as much computation is a lot closer to insignficant than I thought it would be on first blush.

There's still the 'hitting streaks that last past the end of a season' issue, but we might be able to trim that to a 'current hitting streak' integer for each player...

... and once we have that, this operation gets verrry verrry cheap - in fact, I think it becomes cheaper to know it for real all the time than to have to look it up when you want it.

Wow, I thought I was going to be explaining why it wasn't possible - and here I am instead explaining why it is possible! [:D]

Plus, we get the added benefit of knowing it at any time - the player card could include a 'current hitting streak: N games' section, perhaps optionally and shown only if N > 5 games... 'Notable achievements' and 'Record' become trivial additions... and we can even add in-game commentary to the 8th and 9th innings, like "This will likely be his last chance to extend his 14-game hitting streak..."

Cantankerous -> RE: Hitting Streaks (and other stuff) (6/6/2006 8:59:12 AM)

I've been a life-long baseball fan and I love the stats of the game, however I am at a loss as to exactly what "VORP" is.

Can someone enlighten me?  (And will I feel stupid after I'm given the answer?)

Thanks.

jono -> RE: Hitting Streaks (and other stuff) (6/6/2006 9:30:41 AM)

Had to look it up myself on the web.
(V)alue (O)ver (R)eplacement (Player)
For position players it's defined as: The number of runs contributed beyond what a replacement-level player would contribute if given the same percentage of team plate appearances.

For pitchers it's defined as: The number of runs the pitcher prevented compared to a replacement level pitcher (i.e. a typical emergency starter or long man in the bullpen, who is worse than an average pitcher).

In other words a new stat made up to make baseball more complicated.

Amaroq -> RE: Hitting Streaks (and other stuff) (6/6/2006 8:42:23 PM)

Oh, I remember that from a Sabermetrics book I had at one point, it expressed it as wins vs replacement player.

Cantankerous -> RE: Hitting Streaks (and other stuff) (6/7/2006 8:07:45 AM)

Thanks Jono,

VORP must be one of those "inside baseball" stats invented to write stats books with.

Kind of like batting-average-with-two-outs-runner-on-third-vs.-pitcher-whose-name-starts-with-S-on-a-Tuesday-during-dollar-hot-dog-night.

[:)]

Cringer -> RE: Hitting Streaks (and other stuff) (6/10/2006 5:29:55 PM)

quote:

=== 1.15 Beta Changes ===

- New: New PSPN Story notes when a record-breaking hitting streak comes to an end. Note, this only gets mentioned on hitting streaks of 15 games or more.

- Tweak: Existing PSPN "Active Hitting Streaks" story makes note of teh current all-time record, and lists players in boldface type that are currently tied/ahead of the record.

I just want to say thank you for adding this to the game. Close enough to what I was wanting for me. [:)]

Now, how about tweaking the AI's tendency to intentional walk my pitcher to get to my best hitter? [;)]

Cringer -> RE: Hitting Streaks (and other stuff) (6/10/2006 6:19:38 PM)

I hate starting new threads just for one thing. I don't like to suffer the embarresment of no one replying. [:D] So I will just make this my official 'ideas' thread.

Something that may have been mentioned before, I do not know, is it would be nice to have some kind of involvment in Spring Training. This is clearly a 'future versions' things and not a patch thing but thought I would throw it out there. Being able to say what guys work on before a new season is something I love about many text sims, and helps you make more of a personal impact on your team.

Cringer -> RE: Hitting Streaks (and other stuff) (6/10/2006 9:48:34 PM)

I knew I was forgetting something.

I just did a search on the boards for this to see if it had been brought up before. Seems like it was, but for PureSim 2005 last year. This is what I am talking about....

Ties among teams for a division/league title does not go to a playoff game. I would love to see this in the game. I have already been in a tie for my league title 3 times in my play, each time my team is the one going to the World Series. Is this because tie-breakers were on my side? Or because the computer automatically sends the human team? I hope it is the former and not the later.

Either way I would like to atleast know what the tie-breakers are if a 1 game playoff is not to be added.

Walewander -> Sabermetrics... (6/10/2006 10:55:14 PM)

The thing about all of these complicated stats that are shunned by so many people is the fact that they actually exist to make baseball analysis easier. With all of the trends broken down into simple math, the game gets much easier to understand. VORP is a pretty basic way to measure an individual player's worth - not as good as Runs Created, but still pretty useful. As for pitching, WHIP is already pretty widely accepted.

I love the human aspect of the game, but it's nice to have things that I might not have noticed before broken down and staring me in the face. Especially in a simulation like this...

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI